Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

tobaschi

Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion  

437 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

• 599$ did not faze you, and YOU PRE-ORDER IT!
    • 599$ puts me into bankrupcy - I will not spend that kind of money - WILL NOT BUY
    • on the fence, will BUY LATER (at retail launch)

Yes, sorry you are correct for "per eye" (po oku, :thumbup:) but I think only for CV1.

On the video guy from Valve say Vive have 1080p screen what is exactly like DK2. User confirm that.

I don't believe to much in promo. Only aspect of all of this individual users who can objectively send us impressions focused on what we need most from DCS players perspective.

My intention is to ask and share my opinions especially with real users of such product to get answers on it and get most as possible correct information and clarifies some of my wrong conclusions, information's or facts.

Like I did it with Leapmotion which on promo was looking good but our friends who use it said it is not ready yet for our purpose.

Thanks for understanding guys and keep good discussion here. :thumbup:

:pilotfly:

THE VISUALS

A 1,200 by 1,080 pixel screen in front of each eye, with refresh rates of a blistering 90 frames per second, displays photorealistic imagery that fills your field of vision in all directions, eliminating the jitter common to previous VR technologies and transporting you to another world.

-This is directly from HTC website. I'll take this information over what "some user" said. :thumbup:

Intel i5-2500k @ 4.4GHz w/ H70 liquid cooler, ASRock PRO3-M Z68 Mobo, 32G 1600Mhz Mushkin RAM, EVGA GTX970 4GB , OCZ Agility 3 128g SSD, SanDisk 240g SSD, Win7 64-bit

--Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/livingfood --

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

-This is directly from HTC website. I'll take this information over what "some user" said. :thumbup:

In the past when DK1 start they talking it is great and no one mention screen door effect and terrible blurriness and unreadable instruments in DCS. there was minority who talk about it and in the end they was right. DK1 is unplayable for serious games like DCS.

I don't have reason not to believe some user who is experience to all versions and give impressions pretty much realistic without any conflict of interest.

Maybe this difference in subjective feeling come from different focal lenses.

Vive have bigger and maybe magnified more so in same time magnifies any imperfection too.

He repeat several times Vive look more like DK2. Must be a reason for it.

THE VISUALS

A 1,200 by 1,080 pixel screen in front of each eye, with refresh rates of a blistering 90 frames per second, displays photorealistic imagery that fills your field of vision in all directions, eliminating the jitter common to previous VR technologies and transporting you to another world.

-This is directly from HTC website. I'll take this information over what "some user" said.

wormeaten did have a good point about marketing though - and aside from the hard facts of res and frequency, that's all that quote is.

In raw terms, the stated res of the Vive screens means 120 more pixels in the vertical (if I've read it right). Now whether that is enough to move the Rift/Vive from "barely usable" for flight sims in the DK2 (my own assessment), to "good" or "great", remains to be seen. The increased res, coupled with independent screens (meaning less "wasted" pixels per eye), will hopefully make the difference, but personally I think we still have a few years to go before compute and res are good enough to really please flight simmers. Racing sims are going to be the sweet spot in 2016/17 in my opinion.

I'll still be getting one though, because I love this stuff. And comparatively speaking, anything will be better than the DK2, which is still usable.

As an aside, Michael Abrash of Oculus (formerly of Valve) has stated that 10k per eye is the aim for genuinely good fidelity. Yowza!

I'm hoping an ED dev will pop in to give an assessment on the Vive res at some point, but that may be wishful thinking.

Slip the surly bonds of Earth

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Core i7 2600k@4.5||Z77 Extreme 6||16GB RAM

WIN 10||HTC Vive ||G940||1080Ti

I'm hoping an ED dev will pop in to give an assessment on the Vive res at some point, but that may be wishful thinking.

I suspect ED is under an NDA regarding any VR devices they are testing. While they might make general comments, specific details are not likely to be allowed. Any comments discussing whether one is better than the other would be pretty much out of the question.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I suspect ED is under an NDA regarding any VR devices they are testing. While they might make general comments, specific details are not likely to be allowed. Any comments discussing whether one is better than the other would be pretty much out of the question.

Fair point re NDA, but in one of his Q&As, answering a question on cockpit fidelity and objects-at-range with the Vive, wags did mention the possibility of a general assessment of the Vive being posted in here at some point in the future.

A general assessment without comparison would be good, but yeah, probably still wishful thinking.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

How do folks know the Vive is going to work? From what I am reading each title must be specifically written to support it. I think they have one here, but can't tell. I doubt seriously that the Vive will run a title written for the Oculus.

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

How do folks know the Vive is going to work? From what I am reading each title must be specifically written to support it. I think they have one here, but can't tell. I doubt seriously that the Vive will run a title written for the Oculus.

Specific to DCS? We don't know for sure that it will. What we do know is that ED have a dev kit, and that the last word from wags was "looking positive, but no promises".

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

dcs 1.5 / 2.0 & oculus rift question

Good morning fellow DCS lovers.

I wonder if I could grab some advice from you. I love dcs using the rift and I can't wait for edge and dcs 2 as I understand this will give a better vr experience

My question is will my nivada msi 970 be enough or would SLI be better.

Currently I can only use the rift on low to medium settings. But I want to

push to medium to high settings.

What do you guys think. And thank you in advance for you help.

James

Water cooled i9-9900K | Maximus Code XI MB | RTX3090  | 64GB | HP Reverb G2 

I have gtx 970 sli. I take no risk. I even thought to sell and take a 980ti, but i am thinking i am fine for now.

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

2x 970 are better then 980 apparently :)

This is just part of the truth. 970 SLI is more powerfull but there is a problem with slower memory when you use over 3.5 GB and also it depends on the game because there are a lot of games where SLI is not supported or it is not working as good as possible. But DCS is not one of those games for me :), SLI is working fine for me so yeah 970 SLI should be enough.

dont buy two 970s, you limit yourself a lot there.

I would sell that and buy a 980 used, or pony up for a 980ti.

then you can worry about sli in the future.

i researched which 980s overclock the best, and went that way.

I may sell and buy a 980ti depending on a few factors, or if i find a used 980 may just do that.

1 980 can run dcs world perfectly in vr in its current state. So it should be even better come 1.5 dx11 etc.

for comparison sake and a newer engine, i run elite dangerous with 2x in game super sampling with a single 980 (overclocked a fair bit though) and a 5820k @ 4.5 ghz. elite dangerous with 2x in game SS is a vr hog.

only issue with the TI is the bloody price haha

im all for buying used GPU's...

most of the time they have transferable warranty's

and if your lucky lifetime warranty's.

im literally checking this forum on an hourly basis for 1.5 news...the suspense is not fun

I usually like to upgrade my system before any new software/peripheral is released, but this time there are too many unknowns, about the VR hardware, best gpu's/drivers, and DCS World 1.5/2 VR optimizations to make a valid decision on the best possible system.

Edited by Chivas

I feel the same way. Once DCS 2 is out and I have real VR gear (I don't think DK2 is a great metric for requirements), that's when I'll look to spec out a new system.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I feel the same way. Once DCS 2 is out and I have real VR gear (I don't think DK2 is a great metric for requirements), that's when I'll look to spec out a new system.

i Agree, i will be upgrading to the CV1 when its released, problem is you need the kit before you can upgrade lol

same thing happened with the DK2, i upgraded the cpu, gpu, graphic card twice, memory, fans lol , hell i built a new machine really. things got really expensive.

Just to play DCS in Vr has cost me about £1500 so far lol....but worth it :thumbup:

Just to play DCS in Vr has cost me about £1500 so far lol....but worth it :thumbup:

Well, since money is no object:

Edited by S3NTRY11
brevity

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well, since money is no object:

OMG i love it lol, altho the Rift makes me queezy if i use it too much, This thing would end me lol or the wife will, which ever comes first :pilotfly:

Technical details on VR support have not yet been provided. All we know is that VR support is improved, and that the Vive is being looked at too.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

because of DCS i bought an Oculus and 2 gtx670 that are running in SLI.but still when i turn my head the flow is not smooth. i have in many forums trying some of their posted solutions, but did not work.

now how can i get it to work smoothly?

also, why should the refresh rate be 75? why can it not be 60? our eyes will not tell the difference, but this will decrease the load on the card/cpu!

i really want it to work please help!!!!!

because of DCS i bought an Oculus and 2 gtx670 that are running in SLI.but still when i turn my head the flow is not smooth. i have in many forums trying some of their posted solutions, but did not work.

also, why should the refresh rate be 75? why can it not be 60? our eyes will not tell the difference, but this will decrease the load on the card/cpu!

i really want it to work please help!!!!!

Just hold on a few days and we will have DCS 1.5 with improved Oculus support. Nobody knows what the improvements will be though. But fortunately they seem to be getting this VR thing quite seriously.

On the refresh rate topic, the Rift uses a technique to reduce blurriness, called 'low persistence', consisting on flashing the frames a few miliseconds instead of just presenting the frame all the time until next frame arrives, that needs high refresh rates for the flickering not to be noticeable.

That said, I'm with you. I'd accept the blurriness of 60Hz without low persistence. It may not fall on the VR definition as it's being defined nowadays, but still is just such a natural way of interacting with the computer compared to trackir or whatever else that it's still desirable.

Edited by average_pilot

Oh how wrong you are. The refresh rate SHOULD be around 90 to get a clean experience. Read up on VR a bit and you'll understand why the refresh rate is so important. Minimum specs for CV1 is a GTX 970 anyway so you'd probably have to upgrade anyway.

Intel i5-2500k @ 4.4GHz w/ H70 liquid cooler, ASRock PRO3-M Z68 Mobo, 32G 1600Mhz Mushkin RAM, EVGA GTX970 4GB , OCZ Agility 3 128g SSD, SanDisk 240g SSD, Win7 64-bit

--Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/livingfood --