Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

tobaschi

Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion  

437 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

• 599$ did not faze you, and YOU PRE-ORDER IT!
    • 599$ puts me into bankrupcy - I will not spend that kind of money - WILL NOT BUY
    • on the fence, will BUY LATER (at retail launch)

The Rift CV1 has a much besser and sharper Display and lenses as the Vive. Only a few days left to get mine and I hope,Ed is working for a good support.

This is the next level for DCS and the biggest step up in the last year's ...

There will be a number of folks who will appreciate any early reports the first recipients of the new Oculus are willing to give. Mine does not come until May. I'll have a detailed - if not redundant by then - summary when I have one.

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are people's plans on how to refer to documents (check lists and the like)?

Do we need to wait untill we have a functioning 3D kneeboard? Can you tab out to desktop (from what I understand this may depend on whether you're using 'direct' mode or not)?

That's going to be a bit of an issue no doubt. You can still open documents on your main monitor even in direct mode. No need to tab out. You just click on the edge of the 2d dcs window on your monitor to free the mouse and then you can access your documents. You'll have to click back onto the dcs window to bring the game pointer back. It's a bit of a pain unless they give us a functioning kneeboard similar to flyinside.

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

What are people's plans on how to refer to documents (check lists and the like)?

Do we need to wait untill we have a functioning 3D kneeboard? Can you tab out to desktop (from what I understand this may depend on whether you're using 'direct' mode or not)?

Funny I should log in and see such a post as I am just about to start work on a possible solution - at least for start-ups to begin with (no pun intended there) - and I'll look at what other procedures can be done further down the line, if these are popular.

I'll be doing some audio checklists for DCS aircraft, like the ones I did for Falcon BMS a couple of years ago. You will still have to either Alt-Tab out of DCSW to start the prog, or start it before you start the sim, but if you are online, you will have to make sure you don't mix your voice messages to your buddies with the checklist responses.

More info soon.

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

Like I stated a few pages back on the point of image clarity: I have it on good word from a developer that gauge "readability" is "much improved" over the DK2, so much so that in my opinion it's not much of an issue.

I've been using the dk2 for well over a year and have become very used to using it. The image clarity at times isn't much of an issue now, and if I need to read something really small I just lean in a bit and read it. Gauge readability in DCS, for example, is pretty good now with the DK2. While things are fuzzy to a degree, it's decent and not a liability by any means. I agree, too, that objects in the distance are not easy to see. The DK2 is still long for this world and will be re-purposed to the DSD Test and Demo Rig once the CV1 arrives.

My recommendations to those who's first VR device will be the CV1 is to start with the Oculus Demo Scene (presuming that it's there in the 1.n.n.n runtimes). You need to experience that first. The very first instance of life in VR is just as important as every time after it, and the Oculus Demo Scene will give you a great first time; it's also good to make sure your system is running properly because if it runs there, all is clear.

I was hooked on VR the first second at the Oculus demo. I can't fly or drive without it and won't touch any game (for myself) that doesn't support VR properly. The future for VR is bullish now that it's on the threshold of becoming mainstream. All of us "propeller heads" and "wing nuts" have a very bright time in the future to anticipate!

BTW: If there are any FSX/P3d fans here you MUST get FlyInside if you haven't already. It's really the cat's pajamas.

Edited by DerekSpeare

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

I'm really looking forward to FlyInside - I do a lot of flying with Air Hauler in Papua New Guinea and getting into some of those tight little strips with big drops at the end is going to be the mutt's nuts in VR :D

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

My recommendations to those who's first VR device will be the CV1 is to start with the Oculus Demo Scene (presuming that it's there in the 1.n.n.n runtimes). You need to experience that first. The very first instance of life in VR is just as important as every time after it, and the Oculus Demo Scene will give you a great first time; it's also good to make sure your system is running properly because if it runs there, all is clear.
I guess that the new setup process has been designed in a way that the first VR scene every CV1 owner is going to experience is Oculus Home.

Wild guess, though. I've never read a thing about it, but it seems plausible to me. The Demo Scene fits in the Development Kit context, but not so much in the consumer product context.

I have all but given up on FSX myself after DCS. The dodo is just plain boring to fly after the Huey and the Mi-8 and with the Gazelle rumored to be very near release it's just not looking good for FSX for me. Flyinside is definitely on my list of things to try though in a high detail orbx area at least.

ROTORCRAFT RULE

GB Aorus Ultra Z390| 8700K @ 4.9GHz | 32 GB DDR4 3000 | MSI GTX 1080ti | Corsair 1000HX | Silverstone FT02-WRI | Nvidia 3D Vision Surround | Windows 10 Professional X64

Volair Sim Cockpit, Rift S, Saitek X-55 HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, Microsoft FF2, OE-XAM Bell 206 Collective, C-Tek anti-torque pedals

UH-1, SA342, Mi-8, KA50, AV8B, P-51D, A-10C, L39, F86, Yak, NS-430, Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf

I have all but given up on FSX myself after DCS. The dodo is just plain boring to fly after the Huey and the Mi-8 and with the Gazelle rumored to be very near release it's just not looking good for FSX for me. Flyinside is definitely on my list of things to try though in a high detail orbx area at least.

The biggest thing I dislike in fsx since experiencing VR in dcs is the lack of a pilot body in the cockpits. In VR that adds so much to the experience. Fsx even with flyinside just feels somehow off without that.

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

Thanks for the advice, I'll follow it. Seems like a good idea rather than jumping in at the deep end.

:thumbup:

The biggest thing I dislike in fsx since experiencing VR in dcs is the lack of a pilot body in the cockpits. In VR that adds so much to the experience. Fsx even with flyinside just feels somehow off without that.

YES! I AM NOT ALONE.

i asked that there should be pilot bodies in all DCS aircraft..

i had nay sayer's saying that pilot bodies blocks the view of some cockpit buttons..

but pilot bodies can be displayed or turn off, JUST GIVE US THAT OPTION!

find me on steam! username: Hannibal_A101A

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969447179

I can't drive in VR if the driver's hands are not there. It just doesn't work in my brain. I've become used to no pilot body, but it would be cool to have it. Perhaps instead of toggling it on and off, maybe it could be "ghosted" or made to be mostly transparent at any time the user enlists the mouse to control the various cockpit controls. That way you can still interact and see the various bits while not totally breaking the immersion.

NB: Don't dismiss FSX if you HAVE NOT tried it with the Oculus and FlyInside. I thought my flight sim days were over until VR came along. FSX was an old dog, but VR made it new again.

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

Just Tried Windows 10 VR Desktop on a Oculus CV at a Private Event...

OMG>>

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

YES! I AM NOT ALONE.

i asked that there should be pilot bodies in all DCS aircraft..

i had nay sayer's saying that pilot bodies blocks the view of some cockpit buttons..

but pilot bodies can be displayed or turn off, JUST GIVE US THAT OPTION!

Me too.

That's why I only buy DCS aircrafts with this option.

PS: btw, where's the SU-25 pilot gone ?

I'm the opposite.. I load up P3D/Flyinside and want to like it but the flight model and detail in the planes is just too lacking.. I'd almost compare it to an arcade like experience but it's definitely not HAWX either..

Me too.

That's why I only buy DCS aircrafts with this option.

PS: btw, where's the SU-25 pilot gone ?

Aye, I have preached on this subject before, too.

Add in animation for the arms following your leap motion controlled hands and I'll be a very happy simmer indeed!

:music_whistling::thumbup:

Cheers,

Smirkza

I can't believe I bought one of those cardboard headsets to watch the SBS videos and get an idea of what it looked like (an idea - I know it is far from the same), when I can view SBS videos on my nice, big, Panasonic 3D TV!

I stumbled across it this morning when playing with the menus. Looks great!

I still needed to know how it would affect my eyes (and head) with that device on, but now I know that, all the future SBS videos - i.e. those from people who get their hands on the Rift and Vive release versions first - will be watched on the big screen. Great! :)

So, don't forget to upload your experiences in DCS World to YouTube, so we can all have a peek and salivate, please.

Kneeboard Guides

I can't believe I bought one of those cardboard headsets to watch the SBS videos and get an idea of what it looked like (an idea - I know it is far from the same), when I can view SBS videos on my nice, big, Panasonic 3D TV!

I stumbled across it this morning when playing with the menus. Looks great!

I still needed to know how it would affect my eyes (and head) with that device on, but now I know that, all the future SBS videos - i.e. those from people who get their hands on the Rift and Vive release versions first - will be watched on the big screen. Great! :)

So, don't forget to upload your experiences in DCS World to YouTube, so we can all have a peek and salivate, please.

The sbs video mode is no longer shown on your monitor since direct mode rendering was introduced so you won't be seeing any more of them.

It was a demo for Windows, not DCS.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

The sbs video mode is no longer shown on your monitor since direct mode rendering was introduced so you won't be seeing any more of them.

Come again?

Oh - I think I understand you now - though I know nothing of how it is displayed, just that there are a lot around and I hope people will be able to keep doing so - or at least upload 3D videos of what they are seeing.

Edited by Brixmis

Kneeboard Guides

Come again?

Oh - I think I understand you now - though I know nothing of how it is displayed, just that there are a lot around and I hope people will be able to keep doing so - or at least upload 3D videos of what they are seeing.

Back in the early days of VR we had extended mode which allowed us to capture the image from rift as if it was a second monitor. The result was the oval side by side videos. Extended mode is no longer supported. We now have direct mode which renders directly to the headset (Windows no longer sees the hmd as a monitor). This image cannot be captured. During the process of rendering in direct mode a pre-warp frame is taken from the frame buffer and displayed on the monitor. This is what we have now. It is the view from a single eye before any distortion is applied for the headset. It has no 3D.

I just Record Video from HDMI Output.. :p

I just Record Video from HDMI Output.. :p

Do tell how you do this?

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

Do tell how you do this?

I used to do the same. My method was an elgato game capture HD and a laptop.

https://www.elgato.com/pt/gaming/gamecapture-hd