Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

tobaschi

Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion  

437 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

• 599$ did not faze you, and YOU PRE-ORDER IT!
    • 599$ puts me into bankrupcy - I will not spend that kind of money - WILL NOT BUY
    • on the fence, will BUY LATER (at retail launch)

The butterflies, motion sickness is a added bonus!

Appreciate any tips given as this tech is great. And I'm only on day1. Im glad it will only get better from here. Very exciting.

For the eye sight adjustment in DCS I hope to find a resolve from that with some trial and error.

Intel i9-9900K 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080tiftw3, Windows 10, 1tb 970 M2, TM Warthog, 4k 144hz HDR g-sync.

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^^ This is why there is no pressure on Oculus to improve resolution by huge margins (as needed for reading instrument panels).

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I wonder why there is no simple convergence method to fix this. Kind of like the old rear projection tv's. Aligning red,green,blue.

Intel i9-9900K 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080tiftw3, Windows 10, 1tb 970 M2, TM Warthog, 4k 144hz HDR g-sync.

I have read they do some stuff in Elite Dangerous software-wise to remove the issue. It's noticeable on the edges, due to the lenses. Maybe eventually it will become part of the SDK so devs don't have to compensate manually. Alien Isolation is a blast in the OR for sure.

Edited by xaoslaad

ED(elite dangerous) has unreadable text also. The game looks amazing using OR. I imagine dcs will look even stellar with 2.0.

Have yet to try alien yet. Will try later after work. I'll presume alien works like ED and using the app mode instead of extending desktop.

Thanks for the much needed help.

ED(elite dangerous) has unreadable text also. The game looks amazing using OR. I imagine dcs will look even stellar with 2.0.

Have yet to try alien yet. Will try later after work. I'll presume alien works like ED and using the app mode instead of extending desktop.

Thanks for the much needed help.

You need to set it extended but unlike DCS I experience no judder with it left as secondary monitor. The menu screens work with OR too so navigation of those is easier as well...

Google for setup instructions. You need to edit a line in an XML file and pause the OR service. It's all fairly easy.

I know its been asked several times and not been answered yet (well, after having Ctrl+F'd 100 pages of this thread for SLI anyway), but does DCS DK2 work with SLI?

I just built a new rig. My old one was a gaming laptop which was just plug and play, but I am struggling with getting DK2 working with my rig. The game works fine in SLI on a monitor, but my two Nvidia 980 GTX's just give me the black screen treatment in the DK2.

Is SLI meant to work, and I just need to fiddle about with it? I am getting really good frame rates with an OC'd 5820K and SLI cards on a monitor at all high settings so I cant wait to see what its like in the Rift, especially with DSR on. I've not tried single card yet.

Specs:

CPU: i7-5820K tried at various clocks

GPU: DUAL SLI EVGA 980 GTX SC ACX 2.0

RAM: 16GB Corsair Dominator DDR4 2666MHz

SSD: Samsung PRO 850 500 GB

Cooler: Corsair H105

PSU: 1000W Superflower Leadex Platinum

Edited by CookPassBabtridge

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I LIKE TO PLAY

PRODIGAL WOMBAT STIMULATOR

Ok, after installing the mod by PeterP I previously mentioned the HUD has become readable in the DK2, without being too cluttered.

I've attached one pic but it's easier to see in game than here.

Link to mod here -

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/374967/

Smirkza

Do you find the S-25T HUD readable? Even with the large fonts it has by default I find it difficult to read.

On Day 2. I moved the DK2 camera to the top of my monitor and wow what a difference! i can finally read the text with no eye strain. I did have the camera mounted further back per instructions (5ft away). Now it still has blurry image but readable text, now im only wondering what else can be done to further improve the image....

Have not yet tried peterP mod,

but currently is there a way to have have the zoom work in game? very hard to fly the a10c... may just need practice..

Is there also a way to change the zoom/head postion in game? a10c the seat looks 2ft away from the rear. (with trackir zoom would fix this.) also sometimes loading into the game the head position is off vertically.

thanks!

On Day 2. I moved the DK2 camera to the top of my monitor and wow what a difference! i can finally read the text with no eye strain. I did have the camera mounted further back per instructions (5ft away). Now it still has blurry image but readable text, now im only wondering what else can be done to further improve the image....

Have not yet tried peterP mod,

but currently is there a way to have have the zoom work in game? very hard to fly the a10c... may just need practice..

Is there also a way to change the zoom/head postion in game? a10c the seat looks 2ft away from the rear. (with trackir zoom would fix this.) also sometimes loading into the game the head position is off vertically.

thanks!

Press numpad 5 (by default) to recenter camera view,

Smirkza

Cheers,

Smirkza

Press numpad 5 (by default) to recenter camera view,

Smirkza

When pressed it still works but it doesn't "hook". when releasing 5 it just goes back to original position.

Now just fyi pressing 5 w/ trackir(previous setup) worked.

Thank you good sir :) This means that my problem lies elsewhere. Hmmmmmm.

only thing i could suggest, is make sure you are using OR in extended desktop.

Thanks Will, looks like I will have to try the fabled Dance of the Primary Monitors and see if its helps :D

It should work either way but, as I understand it, unless you have a Primary monitor that can do 75 Hz you're in for some serious judder if you don't make the rift Primary. My monitor only does 60Hz and it makes a huge difference for me in DCS World, but I notice no difference in Alien Isolation, so it may just be a DCS World issue. Having the rift as primary unfortunately makes starting the game and navigating the menus a total PITA. They are not set up for Oculus Rift so I end up moving what I can left or right and closing one eye or the other. I know they can fix that, as Alien Isolation menus work with rift, so hopefully down the line it gets all that wonderful attention. These are the early days though, so I expect the growing pains. The moral of my story is that if you can do 75 Hz on your primary display then leave the Rift seconday. :)

Edited by xaoslaad

I have just tried using Nvidias DSR mode with the DK2.

It hits performance, but text is significantly easier to read. The games seems to look better too, although I might be imagining that.

It has introduced juddering, and I'm still debating if the increased text readability is worth the uncomfortable feeling it gives me.

Smirkza

Cheers,

Smirkza

Do you find the S-25T HUD readable? Even with the large fonts it has by default I find it difficult to read.

After testing sadly no, I can't read it.

Nor the F15 HUD.

That could be though because I'm not used to flying it, so can't use some guesswork about what the text should be reading. I think in part when I first started with the A10 after getting the DK2 I was able to read the font due to being familiar with expected readings.

Smirkza

Cheers,

Smirkza

Ok so it was nothing to do with the primary monitor thing, turns out it was AA. I remember that from before when I set it up on my other machine, I just forgot lol. By the by my main monitor is 75Hz so I have always run with the rift secondary on my other machine.

Game runs perfectly in the rift, looks and runs awesome even with everything at max.

HOWEVER: When I plug in my flight stick / throttle, we are back to black screen. Literally dubble yooo tee eff. Anyone come across this?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I LIKE TO PLAY

PRODIGAL WOMBAT STIMULATOR

It should work either way but, as I understand it, unless you have a Primary monitor that can do 75 Hz you're in for some serious judder if you don't make the rift Primary. My monitor only does 60Hz and it makes a huge difference for me in DCS World, but I notice no difference in Alien Isolation, so it may just be a DCS World issue. Having the rift as primary unfortunately makes starting the game and navigating the menus a total PITA. They are not set up for Oculus Rift so I end up moving what I can left or right and closing one eye or the other. I know they can fix that, as Alien Isolation menus work with rift, so hopefully down the line it gets all that wonderful attention. These are the early days though, so I expect the growing pains. The moral of my story is that if you can do 75 Hz on your primary display then leave the Rift seconday. :)
Try to use to two lowest resolutions for the Rift. It looks like they are made specially to make the desktop readable. You'll be able to navigate the menus easily. Once you launch the simulation, it will switch to 1080. And it will switch back to the "special" resolution when you return to the menus.

EDIT: Only using full screen

Edited by average_pilot