Take On Helicopters and Hinds Bundle $12.91 USD on Steam Today

Slap_Chop

I saw that today...I am alsmot going to hit the buy button, but the review of it on simhq put me in the undecided area.

Looks like fun, but not real sim-like. More like Arma aircraft and less like DCS. But the Hind looks kinda neat.

Tell us how it is Slap Chop. Its in my wish list for now, and I got 19hours + to decide :)

i5 3570k @ 4.3

560ti GTX 2gig

8gig RAM

Intel SSD

Win7 64bit

Ya I was worried about the flight model as well but you'll notice that several

patches have been released since its initial release. I notice more recent

reviews are much more positive. Such as this one from metacritic.

maxxxenem1 Sep 1, 2012

I love the feel... Its just like a real helicopters flight characteristics and I

should know I flew for years ... love it.. Good job Bohemia! Graphics Roads,

cars and small details doesn't do my NVidia 2gb 690 video card justice .. I

just bought this do to the memory's of tooling around in a Hughes 500D

model helicopter and feeling like your hung from a string really shows you

need small inputs to the cyclic smooth transitions to landing and all will be

good

Also the hind is supposedly very close the real McCoy according to Russian

pilots . Anyway for 13 bucks I don't think I can go too wrong. I'll definitely

report what my experience is with this sim. Still downloading (10GIGS)

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy and I've had both.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Looks like fun, but not real sim-like. More like Arma aircraft and less like DCS.

Trust me the flight model is nothing like ArmA ! I haven't played DCS:BS so I can't compare but the game sure is challenging.

Reminds me a lot of Search And Rescue. The Seattle map is great and when you're setting up a russian invasion and you have to defend the city it's just...awesome !

The ability to get out of your chopper anytime you want is quite unusual for this kinda game.

When you're shot down in DCS it's game over, not in ToH.

If you're familiar with ArmA you'll quickly be able to make great missions with tons of addons (a recent patch allows you to merge ToH with ArmA)

Also the ArmA community is working on converting the ArmA helos to ToH level.

Seriously for $13 it would almost be a crime not to get it :D

Edited by Eight Ball

First impressions...dont like.

You can be doing barrel rolls in a chopper in a nose dive, hit auto hover and all is ok. TrackIR is real funky in this, its like it isnt using it, just using it to move mouse look around. Setting up my X-65 for this is cluncky as hell. Have to mess with the controls still since you get in a free flight and it just spins non-stop to the right.

I know it isnt a sim, but geez, it reminds me exactally of ArmA aircraft. While ArmA is great for a solider sim, its very weak in aircraft. I dont see a difference between this, and ArmA, except for the Seattle map.

Will give it another shot sometime, but sadly, I feel my 13 bucks would have been better spent on Taco Bell as of right now.

i5 3570k @ 4.3

560ti GTX 2gig

8gig RAM

Intel SSD

Win7 64bit

First impressions...dont like.

I feel my 13 bucks would have been better spent on Taco Bell as of right now.

The GMO corn , kitty litter and pseudo meat could eventually take you to the

eternal pilots lounge. You may have extended your life by 3 minutes by

purchasing TOH . Always looking on the bright side. :thumbup:

Sorry you didn't like the game. I don't think I know enough about it to make

any judgment yet. I'm still looking for the Space needle. Seems there's a lot

to explore and there are 3 levels of realism for piloting the choppers each

level making the flight model more challenging than the previous. Haven't

even touched the hind yet or the missions , multiplayer or anything.

There's auto start for heli and manual start etc etc etc.

I do not think it is a competition for the Blackshark but it's interesting all

the same. I'll pass on the tacos and keep playing with this thing for a while.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy and I've had both.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I dont see a difference between this, and ArmA, except for the Seattle map.

Sad to hear that, IMO the FM is a lot more challenging in ToH.

But I completely agree with you about the 6DOF. it's really weird, way to sensitive, it needs some fine tuning to give proper results.

Don't give up too quickly ;)

I actually think this game is great if you look past the whole Arma 2 thing, you just need to consider this simulation in terms of games like search&rescue, what TOH does great is what the developers originally intended, Pick up game entities, ferry objects and complete tasks in a given time. It just happens the Bohemia Interactive team only have one open world engine at the moment so they used the Arma engine but that's also a plus because the tools are available to make all sorts of wacky missions, it's very versatile engine.

Myself I am working on a small Flooded area victims recovery type mission, perhaps others will make a forest fire fighting mission or perhaps a cost guard rescue mission at sea, yet others will make a Close Air Support mission.

The point is I think alot people within the Arma Community keeps thinking of TOH as a Arma addon with more advanced helicopter physics but in reality this is a completely different game otherwise they would of made it into an official Addon to Arma, its just a bonus that we can use all the assets (islands, weapons etc) with the latest patch.

my 2ct

Btw the Draw distance and clouds are amazing.

• Like 1

Dont feel bad for me guys. :)

And...yes Taco Bell is my one fast food dirty little secret. So bad, yet so good. Its an enigma.

I am going to give it another go later. Not a great mood because of the Monday Night Football game, and probably will look at ToH different tomorrow. If nothing else to find Golden Tates house and crash my heli into it over and over, until he tells the truth.

That was just my first impression.

Any help getting a decent control setup for an x65 would help too!

And those missions sond cool tank. Will have a go at that as well.

i5 3570k @ 4.3

560ti GTX 2gig

8gig RAM

Intel SSD

Win7 64bit

Lokitexas, i must admit you're the guy which prevents me to buy this, even at 10€.

First impression, didn't liked.

You can't learn to love a game, either it's awesome, either it's not.

When i tested BlackShark, i was : OMG ! didn't you heard that engine singing at start ? Oh it has a GPS ? Air conditionning ? i want one of those !

Today, i must admit the map textures and objects are kinda outdated, when you compare to Chernarus or even Just Cause 2 islands.

You can't play in the forest, with haze, rain, fields, grass... but it thrills me everytime i hit the start button and all those new words Betty's yelling at you when you get to 400-600km/h

So, that's sad, but... think i'm gonna stick with DCS, and sparing 15 $ for DCS 1.5, which HAS to introduce the multicores aspect :smilewink:

TASK / ROLES acronyms guide

Black Shark A.I. datalink guide illustrated (v1.2.4 Available on Wiki)

DCS World Codex 1.1 : full units list (Speed/Weapons/Armor thickness/Threat zone/Weapon damage...) (Oct 2013)

BlackShark 2 1.2.x Bug and glitches thread (v1.2.7)

Lokitexas, i must admit you're the guy which prevents me to buy this, even at 10€.

First impression, didn't liked.

You can't learn to love a game, either it's awesome, either it's not.

When i tested BlackShark, i was : OMG ! didn't you heard that engine singing at start ? Oh it has a GPS ? Air conditionning ? i want one of those !

Today, i must admit the map textures and objects are kinda outdated, when you compare to Chernarus or even Just Cause 2 islands.

You can't play in the forest, with haze, rain, fields, grass... but it thrills me everytime i hit the start button and all those new words Betty's yelling at you when you get to 400-600km/h

So, that's sad, but... think i'm gonna stick with DCS, and sparing 15 $ for DCS 1.5, which HAS to introduce the multicores aspect :smilewink:

I still stand by my impression, but since I already spent money on it, I will give it another go.

But nothing compares to the feeling of BS. I still get excited starting that thing up. With the new HD cockpit it puts icing on the cake. I am with you.

• Like 1

i5 3570k @ 4.3

560ti GTX 2gig

8gig RAM

Intel SSD

Win7 64bit

I'm really glad I purchased TOH . Especially at the sale price !

I got exactly what I wanted. A Single Rotor Helicopter Simulator with a realistic

FM, which according to many RL pilots on the BIS Forums is the case when the

difficulty is set to Elite.

I'm really enjoying this game. It's definitely no Black Shark . But trying to

land on a skyscraper is good fun.

Anyway the sales over now.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I got it too last night...

It integrated really fuss-free with all the Arma 2 stuff...

Did I run to my pc this morning and hastiliy turned it on to put my ass back in the Hind cockpit...? Nope...

I just continued installing a notebook... but now, when I rethink it, I'm going to do it...

...maybe try to get the ACE mod working with it, cause the first thing last night was searching for some increased realism settings, when I put all to Expert, it was somehow the same thing...

Time will tell, but for the price it's a great acquisition and I'm really looking forward to flying the littlebirds...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

...the few, the proud, the remaining...

TOH has a few major flaws in the flight model. The choppers are not stable enough for one. It seems you're on a spike pivoting instead of hanging from the rotor mount (jesus nut). That's the biggest flaw this game has so far.

The FM is nowhere near realistic as I experience it.

These flight model discussions go on and on. Just like they do around here. If

your stick is set up right it acts like a helicopter for the most part.

Good enough for me. Especially at $13.

I haven't seen anything else in this price range that does what TOH does. Hey

but each to their own. You won't convince the many people who enjoy this sim

not to like it anymore that you will convince those that don't like it to like it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

As you may allready know, ToH is using an 3rd Party FM engine. What they have on it`s whitepapers sounds as it would be enough to simulate helicopter flight. I´m not happy with ToH FM also, as it feel not right to me. For me it`s like what YorZor wrote: "It seems you're on a spike pivoting instead of hanging from the rotor mount (jesus nut)."

Don`t know what the problem is. RT: Dynamics seems to be professionals when it comes to flight dynamics. Is it a engine limitation of BI engine?

Nevertheless the files regarding the FM of the heli`s are editable. Maybe they just do not have the right values in it or it must be tweaked further?

To bad guys like n1ghtstalker, MD500Enthusiast, b101_uk apparently went to other things.

It looks like the community is not interested enough to create more stuff for it.:(

I would like to see how RotorLIB would work as the external FM for DCS 3rd Party helicopters.

Deutsche DCS-Flughandbücher

SYSSpecs: i7-4790K @4GHz|GA-Z97X-SLI|16GB RAM|ASUS GTX1070|Win10 64bit|TrackIR5|TM Warthog/Saitek Pro Pedals

Well you can simulate feeling but I think the core is wrong so it would be hard to fix that by changing a few values... It is allot better than before but still very wrong :) Hovering in a real chopper is quite easy because (without wind) the chopper wants to stay there or atleast with a little encouragement it wants to stay there...

The engine is way off since when you lower collective fulldown in-game the decent rate is what? 500ft or something? Should be closer to 1500/2000 ft/min. (you can change this quite easily by changing some values).

But it's just too much work I guess so let's continue with dcs :)

Im a huge ARMA fan, and it hurts me to say that I fell like I just lost some money on this one. First all Im amazed over the lack of HOTAS settings in the options menu, the flight model feels like im flying a model kit airplane. And what is this....you need to engage the trim via ingame menu option???? I really hope in the future they keep on working on this title, because it has a lot of potential.

:pilotfly:Wolfpack Production:pilotfly:

-=<[WiN 10, I7 3770K @ 4,5 Ghz, Corsair H100i, Sabertooth Z77, 16 GB Dominator, Sapphire 7970 VaporX 6GB, C70 Vengance, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro rudder, Track IR, Beyerdynamics MMX 300 ]>=-

DCS/FC2/FC3/Arma videos on my channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/WolfpackproductionDK

"Fortes Furtuna Juvat"