The AH-64 Apache Thread

Piffer

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really enjoying here your opinion of sim vs real world , and of course your instructor comments :lol:

I served in the air force of my country but only was there as a cadet. Had very funny moments with superiors and comrades (well they are funny right now, not at that moment :music_whistling:).

Talking about your flight sim gear, do you have a Track IR or similar? It's a 6DOF tracking device that follows head's movement as you have in your Apache. For almost all serious simmers it's a "must have" for the immersion factor.

As another simmer pointed out there is an incoming AH-1G Cobra being developed by Belsimtek, same guys of DCS Huey an Mi-8. It's almost a guaranteed winner for combat helos fan pilots. Some people criticise the G version (a bit old) but I like it the same as new versions. It is amazing to fly all this machines in this wonderful sim. In the end, it's not realistic trying to mimic all flying, control, combat systems of a super dupper new airframe (F-22/F-35/PAK FA...), my reason is because those are very new and has secret real systems only known by pilots or goverment. I live perfectly well with any version Eagle Dynamics wanna develop for us to buy.

I used to have a Track IR setup. I believe it was the original version from years ago. It has a hat with a sensor on the bill. I haven't used that in years though I honestly dont even know if I still have it.

Some retired aviators have a flying club around here and they will take you up in a Cobra for a couple hundred dollars. They just got the FAA clearance to start giving people rides. I think I'm going to contact them and see about getting a ride in there. I heard the Cobra has the controls on the side sort of like the F-16 does? I'm curious to see how it looks.

I've been really interested in reading books about the Warthog in the Gulf, FMR Yugo and Afghanistan but I haven't seen a lot written about coordination between the two platforms. I think in one of the books they had talked about working together as closer partners but couldn't quite put it in play soon enough.

I've read some articles about CSAR cooperation- but has there been any more development of cooperation between Apaches and Hogs in other roles in current theater operations or are they still operated independently of one another?

I don't honestly know how closely the Apaches and Hogs work together. While I was a ground pounder in Afghanistan both aircraft came to our rescue on a few occasions. As far as our particular AO it seems like we just called whoever was around to help us if we got in any hairy situations.

We were in contact with all sorts of aircraft that were on station from Marine Corps F/A-18's to RAF Tornado's to Apaches to Hogs.

For one thing the Brits are absolutely hilarious on the radio. It seemed like every time we called them on the net they had something funny to say.

"Have to head out now gents getting close to bingo, 007 will be on station in a few. Bloody bastard hijacked one of the jets again, cheers"

We were like LOL what?? Thats the one good thing about working with our allies from all over the world. Makes us all realize that we are all human beings and even though we are all from different nations we have so much more in common with each other than we all probably realize, especially military members.

I hope you get better soon but in the meantime maybe we will be throwing questions at you :D

I think this is their YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9NRlVq7YKSwSFGe6qivN5g

This another one is an old WIP but I liked to watch it (it shows a 6DOF enabled and clickable cockpit)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLvCX9XXZSE

If you can spot this videos would be amazing to know your opinion about the systems they show.

As far as the cockpit layout it's spot on. In the second video the only thing I see different is the HMD (Helmet Mounted Display) the symbology in your eye. Right below the heading tape there is symbology for a turn radius. We don't have turn indications in the HMD symbology we only have it when you pull the symbology up on the Flight Page on one of the MPD's. It looks like he may have modeled the HMD symbology after the Flight Page symbology in order to make it easier to cross check for the sim.

But in the other video the symbology is correct in the HMD. Perhaps the second video was an earlier version of the sim and he realized the mistake and has since corrected it.

To be super nitpicky the second video also shows a multitude of system warnings, cautions, and advisories on the EUFD (Enhanced Up Front Display) which is the display on the top right in the cockpit. In real life all of those warnings and whatnot won't be there unless they are actual warnings. But maybe they were just being displayed to showcase that the EUFD was actually working in the sim and displaying actual messages in the correct places.

The radar mapping and DTED (Digital Terrain Elevation Data) (the colors you see on the map on the left MPD in the first video) looks good and everything from the FCR looks accurate from the little I saw. The targeting information shown looks right as well. Another small thing to note is that Hellfire missles don't burn fuel for as long as they are shown in video. The video shows them burning fuel all the way to the target where in real life they only burn for about 3 seconds then they glide to the target.

From what I am seeing he has done an amazing job. He has gone into great detail from what little I have seen and if he has done the same level of detail all around then this looks like it will be a great sim.

Chopping wood, chopping rotor blades too. Sure not all pilots are like this seems they need to rethink the responsibility of the destructive power the wield(armed an unarmed).Just my 2 cents worth.

Although most aviators are responsible and professional we still have our fair share of irresponsible people as well unfortunately.

That ye of little faith video was shown to us all throughout flight school as a warning to "not be that guy".

Just so everyone is on the same page in regards to these aerobatic videos. The AH-64 can perform these maneuvers of course as you've seen but what you don't see is what happens after they land. Unlike fixed wing fighters the 64's rotor system (or any rotor system for that matter) can't handle the constant stress of maneuvers like that. Once they land the entire rotor system is taken apart and refurbished.

Those maneuvers are for airshows and demonstrations. Doing them on a daily basis the way fighter jets do would tear the aircraft apart.

• Like 1

To be honest most of you guys probably know more about it than I do from reading about it online.

Good one. :lol:

Great to have you here. With all your responses to our questions, I guess most of us wouldn't mind of you got sick more often and then had time to hang around on the forum. :devil: :D

Curious, are the gunners trained pilots as well? Are there dual flight controls for both pilot and gunner?

I know the question was already answered, but I instantly thought of Ed Macy's book "Apache". Definitely worth a read.

I guess we'll have to wait a few years until Nightmare can write a book of his own experiences in the Apache. :)

Those maneuvers are for airshows and demonstrations. Doing them on a daily basis the way fighter jets do would tear the aircraft apart.

Back in the mid 90s, when I was a school kid, I did a two-week internship at the Heeresflieger Waffenschule (Army Aviation Weapons School) where some of the maintenance guys remembered the days when

was stationed there (or did some demonstrations, I'm not entirely sure).

They said pretty much the same thing: Yes, it's possible to fly these maneuvers, including loopings, in a BO 105, but right after the demonstration, the helicopter and especially the rotor assembly have to be taken apart and examined. It seems that hasn't changed - just like the "wow" factor of such demos. :thumbup:

Just so everyone is on the same page in regards to these aerobatic videos. The AH-64 can perform these maneuvers of course as you've seen but what you don't see is what happens after they land. Unlike fixed wing fighters the 64's rotor system (or any rotor system for that matter) can't handle the constant stress of maneuvers like that. Once they land the entire rotor system is taken apart and refurbished.

When jets over g, at least with the F-16 a bunch of panels have to be removed for inspections.

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

F-15's might return with the panel removed already :D

When jets over g, at least with the F-16 a bunch of panels have to be removed for inspections.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Before your next flight, invest in a few go-pros and give us all in the forums a "ride" with you

lol unfortunately they really frown upon that. Most of the videos you see are from people who sort of snuck a camera in the cockpit with them. The gun tapes on youtube as well.

I don't have the rank to pull something like that quite yet lol

It's not hard to sneak a a camera in the pit, wish I would took some video when I got my 16 ride, but you don't think of things like that. This is going to be a popular thread. Right now the shark is what I fly most of the time in DCS.

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

Good one. :lol:

Great to have you here. With all your responses to our questions, I guess most of us wouldn't mind of you got sick more often and then had time to hang around on the forum. :devil: :D

I know the question was already answered, but I instantly thought of Ed Macy's book "Apache". Definitely worth a read.

I guess we'll have to wait a few years until Nightmare can write a book of his own experiences in the Apache. :)

I actually thought about writing a book about my flight school experience if I ever get the time. I've been keeping notes about my experiences.

What gave me the idea was reading a book a veteran Navy SEAL wrote about the entire Navy SEAL training program in Coronado. He broke it down more thorough than anyone has ever done before. I visited a forum for aspiring SEALs and they all spoke about it and loved the insight the book gave them. It's number one on all of their reading lists.

I visit a forum for aspiring Army aviators and try to give as much advice and help as I can to those who wish to become Army pilots. I've helped a number of people put together their flight packets to send and invite people to send me their packets first so I can sort of proof read them and offer suggestions I feel would make them stronger candidates. I am by no means the end all expert on flight school but my flight packet was accepted on it's first look so I try to model other peoples packets off of mine.

When I started out I went through this entire process blind. I think a book would be a great way to help more people understand the process and just sort of know how the program is overall.

Back in the mid 90s, when I was a school kid, I did a two-week internship at the Heeresflieger Waffenschule (Army Aviation Weapons School) where some of the maintenance guys remembered the days when
was stationed there (or did some demonstrations, I'm not entirely sure).

They said pretty much the same thing: Yes, it's possible to fly these maneuvers, including loopings, in a BO 105, but right after the demonstration, the helicopter and especially the rotor assembly have to be taken apart and examined. It seems that hasn't changed - just like the "wow" factor of such demos. :thumbup:

Yeah one of the first questions many people always ask is if I have ever done a barrel roll in the 64. I always laugh and say no what you see on tv isn't what we can actually do.

Well yes we "can" do it but it's not something we do. You'll be hard pressed to find anybody who has ever actually done the maneuvers we see in the airshow videos.

The 64 is an awesome aircraft but its still a helicopter. We are not Top Gun lol.

Yeah unfortunately our G limit is 2.2G's. Part of me still calls bull on that though because we pull some turns and dives that I swear feel a lot more than 2.2g's on a regular basis. Maybe it just feels different since its a helicopter.

• Like 1

2.2G's is not much, like you said maybe it's different in a heli. I'm sure you have fun flying that beast!

^ That's a great idea, I've read a lot of books about fighter jets and that is the best thing you can do. Keep good notes and a journal and pictures if you have them, they look good in books, gives the reader that extra insight!

I actually thought about writing a book about my flight school experience if I ever get the time. I've been keeping notes about my experiences. [...]

Well I was only partly joking when I wrote about you writing a book. I've practically devoured "Apache", "Hellfire", "Low Level Hell" and others. I think you'll surely find an audience for a book about your flight school experience among this crowd of flight sum enthusiasts, and obviously generations of flight school attendants to come will find it invaluable reading. Just go ahead and write it, I can practically guarantee I'll buy it. :thumbup:

The 64 is an awesome aircraft but its still a helicopter. We are not Top Gun lol.

That's my usual excuse when I crash my Ka-50 while trying to perform barrel rolls and stuff like that. :D

Yeah unfortunately our G limit is 2.2G's. Part of me still calls bull on that though because we pull some turns and dives that I swear feel a lot more than 2.2g's on a regular basis. Maybe it just feels different since its a helicopter.

hi Nightmare, i have some question:

what's going to happen with the rotor blades when the pilot do a high G (too high) maneuver ? is it posible to overstress the airframe or mainly the rotor blades ?

and what's going to happen at overspeeding the chopper ? loosing lift on the left side or damaging/breaking the rotorhub or blades ? how the overspeeding starts ? shaking the blades and the airframe or starts to lose the control of the helo ?

how the tailplane works ? will it help to pull up the nose at high speed ? i mean will it work like an elevator on a conventional airplane ? - (iv never seen the trailing edge of the tailplane in higher position)

thank you for you answers

sign-pic4.jpg