Rogue System -- Space Sim

bfeld

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pledged up, need more people!

I've been talking to a few people, but most just aren't interested in PC based space flight sims at all. One guy was really interested and was already aware of Rogue System but said he'd already backed KS projects with a combined 150 Euros (including a pledge to Star Citizen), so he was reluctant to spend more money right now. Well, I'll keep trying to spread the word. :)

I do like the old space games like X-Wing vs Tie Fighter etc. One thing I really dislike with the newer space sims is the Newtonian physics designs.

I am quite certain realistic flight modeling for space sims is much more accurate. It just also happens to be a lot less fun IMHO. This has turned me off from several space fighter games since the old days of Star lancer and the Star wars games. I like that type of unrealistic flight model much better for space fighter games. For this reason I am on the fence about this sim. I love every other aspect of it but that.

Out

I do like the old space games like X-Wing vs Tie Fighter etc. One thing I really dislike with the newer space sims is the Newtonian physics designs.

TBH, I don't think I've actually ever flown a space flight sim with Netownian physics and enjoyed it. Yet. :)

I'd say X-Wing, Wing Commander and the like are to be blamed for presenting a simplistic or atmospheric flight model that simply doesn't make any kind of sense in space flight/space combat.

OTOH, Newtonian physics have their own set of problems, and I agree this could turn out to kill all the fun, so I'd say concessions will have to be made (like limiting the maximum speed to a ridiculously low value) to prevent combat from going "There's something on my sensor... lock... fire... out of range, and I can't even tell whether or not I hit it".

But I think this approach with Newtonian physics, if done right, will offer a new level of realistic-ish space combat that can be entertaining as well as educating. And we may all have to develop an entirely new skill-set. :)

On this subject, again keep in mind the ship systems that help to "counter" newtonian flight, thus providing a more atmospheric-like feel to flight. I go a step further with one of these systems, the FIS (Friction Induction System) that allows for variable levels of feel--you can tweak it to what feels good to you.

The only times you NEED newtonian flight are take off and landing (to stay properly oriented with a moving target), and while trying to achieve "breakthrough" momentum to use the "Dark Drive" (which is the system used to travel from one planet to another within the local system...

@Polecat: I don't know if this info will help you decide one way or the other, but this is what I'm planning (and already have working) for RogSys :)

Cheers...

Hmm, I don't know if this has been considered yet, but I see that in the video you are using what appears to be projectile weapons. Are the impacts/damage of these weapons dependent on the force imparted by them? i.e. if a ship is going at .3 c and shoots a bullet, will it be able to kill a ship outright (assuming that the target is at rest)?

Also are missiles being considered as a way to deal with newtonian space combat at longer ranges?

I don't want to turn this into a gameplay discussion thread, but I really would like to know just how much the whole newtonian physics thing is going to impact gameplay.

Edited by Pyroflash

If you aim for the sky, you will never hit the ground.

There are short range primary weapons (such as the place-holder plasma repeaters you see in the vids), medium to long range missiles and kinetic weapons, and longer range beam weapons. Most weapons have an operational envelop that you must stay in in order to be employed properly. The systems that provide atmospheric-like flight during combat assist in keeping you within this proper envelop.

Weapons not only have a destructive force (blast damage from a missile, say), but in some cases their "speed" in relation to the target (such as kinetic-based weapons), as well as range traveled to the target are taken into account. For example, a plasma burst looses destructive force as it looses form over time (hence the short-range nature of them), whereas a beam weapon maintains its shape over greater distance and therefor retains its destructive potential longer.

Now, obviously the restrictions to weapon employment are science-fiction of course, and are really for the sake of gameplay. I want to keep combat tight and localized once the merge happens.

All celestial elements impart gravity (suns, planets, moons, etc) and are themselves in motion, and so everything is always in motion. There is no way to "stop" (unless you're speaking relatively in relation to another object). So, the only way to achieve orbits, or stay properly aligned with another ship in order to dock (or during take-off) is to use a Newtonian-based system. The systems to provide atmospheric-feel are then used to "counter" that when needed (mainly during combat).

Michael,

Thank you for your responses. I can't afford much but I will make a donation to your project on kickstarter.com. I watched the video posted here

I was very impressed with Rogue System and your vision for it, as well as your personal story. Well done. You should be very proud.

I am going to post a link to your kickstarter page over at the 104th Phoenix website forums and ask members of our DCS squadron to pitch in.

Best of luck and keep the faith!

~Paul

Michael,

Thank you for your responses. I can't afford much but I will make a donation to your project on kickstarter.com. I watched the video posted here

I was very impressed with Rogue System and your vision for it, as well as your personal story. Well done. You should be very proud.

I am going to post a link to your kickstarter page over at the 104th Phoenix website forums and ask members of our DCS squadron to pitch in.

Best of luck and keep the faith!

~Paul

Thanks SO much for your support, truly. If any of your members over there have any questions let me know--I'll be happy to answer them.

Cheers...

EFD clutter? Why not develop it like a Garmin gps unit.

Different pages for different flight regimens. You have main pages with subpages.

such as ship systems, you already have that, just make another EFD "page" with sub-pages pertaining to graphical layouts for docking, slingshot around planets, asteroids, you could do this for about anything.

I know I didn't do justice with explanations, but I'm sure you get what I meant.

No need for clutter when you could merely pull up the particular "page" with the info you wanted.

Win 10 64 bit

Intel I-7 7700K

32GB Ram

Nvidia Geforce GTX 1060 6gig

EFD clutter? Why not develop it like a Garmin gps unit.

Different pages for different flight regimens. You have main pages with subpages.

such as ship systems, you already have that, just make another EFD "page" with sub-pages pertaining to graphical layouts for docking, slingshot around planets, asteroids, you could do this for about anything.

I know I didn't do justice with explanations, but I'm sure you get what I meant.

No need for clutter when you could merely pull up the particular "page" with the info you wanted.

Yes. This is the idea of the EFD--to have multiple pages so that it DOESN'T get cluttered. This is part of the reason that I get all the core systems finalized--so a proper design can be accomplished for the EFD to get all this info sorted out.

Pledged.

Forgive the question, but if kickstarter funding does not succeed will the project still continue? If so, how will the projected release dates be influenced?

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Pledged.

Forgive the question, but if kickstarter funding does not succeed will the project still continue? If so, how will the projected release dates be influenced?

First, thanks for your support :)

Funded or not, it WILL continue. I've invested far too much in Rogue System, in terms of time, money, and any other form of investment you could think of, to just let it die.

Without KS funding I won't be able to go to full time on it immediately as I want, so it will slow it down a bit. I am considering some other forms of funding, such as a minecraft-like model, as well as a couple others.

But no, under no circumstance will RogSys go away now. If nothing else, KS has gotten the word out about it and has helped to firmly plant it in the genre. That alone makes the KS a success as it will be beneficial in the long term...

Thanks again...

• Like 2

Michael, I've contributed to Kickstarter project, and I will gladly contribute directly, if Kickstarter doesn't pan out. And I'm spreading word (in my own limited capacity).

As a long time space sim pilot (X wing, Tie Fighter, Wing Commander series, Descent series) and at the same time a fan of hardcore sims (such as DCS) I am truly looking forward to this one.

Best of luck to you, and do keep us updated.

Edited by ishtmail

DCS A10C Warthog, DCS Black Shark 2, DCS P51D Mustang, DCS UH-1H Huey, DCS Mi-8MTV2 Magnificent Eight, Flaming Cliffs 3, Combined Arms

System: Intel i7 4770k @4,2GHz; MSI Z87-G65; 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM; 128GB SSD SATA3 (system disk); 2TB HDD SATA3 (games disk); Sapphire Radeon R9 290 Tri-X; Windows 7 64bit

Flight controls: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog; Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder; TrackIR 5; Thrustmaster F16 MFDs; 2x 8'' LCD screens (VGA) for MFD display; 27'' LG LCD full HD main display

[...] Funded or not, it WILL continue. I've invested far too much in Rogue System, in terms of time, money, and any other form of investment you could think of, to just let it die. [...]

Very glad to hear this. Kickstarted or not, I look forward to supporting this project (again) and, more importantly, eventually flying with the final product! Best wishes; we need more space sims! :joystick:

MSI P67A-GD55 | Intel i5 2500 @ 3.3GHz | MSI Twin Frozr GTX 760 OC 4GB GDDR5 | G.SKILL Sniper 16GB DDR3 @ 1333MHz | Corsair TX750 PSU | Corsair Force GT 90GB SSD | WD Black 640GB + 1TB HDDs | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

DCS A-10C Warthog | DCS Bf 109 K-4 Kurfürst | DCS Fw 190 D-9 Dora | DCS Ka-50 Black Shark 2 | DCS P-51D Mustang | Flaming Cliffs 3

3 days to go. well thats a shame but the reality. i think upon each attempt you can probally increase those numbers two fold. folks have to see the whole thing in action with some finalised artwork imo.

what about a simple subgame, to enhance the IP. and generate some dev cash. sword of the stars devs recently took what i see as a step back from there incredibly flawed creations to create a simple roguelike game in their universe and IP and well its quite enjoyable and makes a lot of sense and is probally bringing in more cash than there 2 main games lol.

also in similar vain., the game killorbit is being created to generate funds for Mechlore. so this idea isnt anything new and it is very very plausable.

so in this vain, and given your title rogue system, having a rouglelike game using the IP could be an avenue to go down. you already have some FPS concepts within your title that could easily be adapted to some simpler game mechanics that would sell. and well im loving the whole roguelike scene at the moment so thats why my idea exists as it does. Theres a quite a following for these cheap, Niche and incredibly playable projects. presently iam trying to envisage my idea of a roguelike game through my artwork ideas.... its presently like FTL v Aliens v Darkwood lol.

Edited by Ali Fish

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

no days to go. :( but not the end. :) May a great future for Rogue System lie ahead. there will be obstacles im sure, may Mr juliano`s sim have a bright ending to the journey that is Rogue System development. Good Luck with it m8 and holla for any artistic help !

JYBdnSI.jpg

Edited by Ali Fish

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 month later...