A-10 Simulator Center

CallsignPunch

Im pretty new to DCS A-10C but I was just thinking about things that I wish existed for flight sim and it gave me an idea that i wanted to get other peoples take on and see if they think something like this would work.

Say there was a center in Houston, Texas that was around DCS A-10. This center does 4-day programs in Full Scale A-10 cockpits. It would be run like you might expect of a fighter squadron and room and board would be included.

The facility would have Pilot quarters, classrooms, a chow hall, squadron bar, sim room, exc.

The programs would be:

Basic Flight School ($600)- Students would get a mix of classrom and simulator rides teching the basics of A-10 procedures, weapon employment, and fliight. Course would end with a final combat mission.

Advanced Flight School ($600)- a mix of classroom and sim rides, now that people know how to operate the jet, training would get into advanced techniques, flight planning and flying with a wingman, exc.

Squadron Deployment ($1200)- (prerequisite: advanced flight school) here guys would basically spend 4 days flying missions as if they were deployed with a flight squadron

......anyway i was just wondering if something like this would be worth looking at getting into, id pay to do this but idk if anyone else would.

i9-9900k, Asus ROG Strix Z390-3, 32GB DDR4-3000, MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, 2TB Samsung 860 Evo SSD| Reverb G2| Custom Simpit- A variety of grips (TM/Virpil) on floor mounted TM Base, WinWing Super Tauris Throttles, Virpil Collective, TM Pedals, TM MFDs

Paid Module Wishlist: AH-64A, T-38, B-1B, U-2, MH-60 Pavehawk, A-10A

Map Wishlist: NAS Oceana (w/Norfolk and Expansive Ocean), Korea (Modern), Cuba, Columbia

Ai Wishlist: Ships, SOF infantry, SOF Vehicles, AH/MH-6, P8, 

Doubt ppl want to pay 1200 to learn and fly a simulator when their are online squads doing it for free (click link in sig ).

And to pay 1200 bucks for a 4-day program flying a game i can fly in my own pit.

Not many simmers can afford high prices hence they build their own pits etc. Idea sounds nice but to actually but a full scale A-10C pit with every button functional that would cost you a rib and then you want a squad too.

But perhaps I am wrong =)

yeah I figured this would be the answer. I guess the idea was just to try to make it as real as posible. But I followed your link and the squadron looks awesome!

i9-9900k, Asus ROG Strix Z390-3, 32GB DDR4-3000, MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, 2TB Samsung 860 Evo SSD| Reverb G2| Custom Simpit- A variety of grips (TM/Virpil) on floor mounted TM Base, WinWing Super Tauris Throttles, Virpil Collective, TM Pedals, TM MFDs

Paid Module Wishlist: AH-64A, T-38, B-1B, U-2, MH-60 Pavehawk, A-10A

Map Wishlist: NAS Oceana (w/Norfolk and Expansive Ocean), Korea (Modern), Cuba, Columbia

Ai Wishlist: Ships, SOF infantry, SOF Vehicles, AH/MH-6, P8, 

yeah I figured this would be the answer. I guess the idea was just to try to make it as real as posible. But I followed your link and the squadron looks awesome!

They are awesome, especially if you are into realism, good training, and a great group of guys to fly with. But I might be just a wee bit biased.... :)

ED is open to the idea of commercial seat licensing, but you'll have to work the details with Wags. I've spoken with him about it in the past. Don't expect to be using DCS World in a commercial setting under the consumer license.

Edited by BHawthorne

The sim centers I've assisted with in Colorado and Kansas all use a $1-2/minute pricing. If you can't fall within that price range and make it cost effective for both you and the customer you're not going to have a consumer base. Be mindful that you should do things in 15-20 incremental bookings with 5 minute control briefing and 10-15 flights. The price of admission needs to be within the disposable income of anyone that might drop in on impulse. The customer is welcome to buy as much seat time as they want as long as there is space for them for booking beforehand. This works well at airshows (if you've got the inside track on how to be a part of the airshow circuit) and the seat times book up rather fast.

Most people don't want a flight school. They want a birthday or work party where people can hop into several cockpits and dogfight each other in sim-lite mode. You need throughput on customers -- quantity, not fidelity. Even in large million+ population cities, you're going to have a hard time keeping seats filled if you go the study sim route. FC3 might be a good option or Falcon BMS in arcade mode.

You will have pilots show up and want high fidelity stick time, but they're 1:50 or 1:100 customers. Account for both but optimize for throughput. They tend to be the big spenders, but big spender is a relative term. Expect them to book for an hour seat time and probably no more than $150 price. Those are often sold as high fidelity gift certificate seat times with full flight instructor assistance the length of the flight over comms. Often given to pilots as presents. Never expect $600 or $1200 from anyone unless it's a fully booked party.

The sim setup should be high durability, medium fidelity simpits and have projection visuals. It's more important that the simpit be durable and last than to be high fidelity. Customers will tare up high fidelity simpits through regular use. Either single front facing projector or a dual or triple surround system. I've installed all three types into sim centers. The simpits need to be installed in even pairs. 2, 4, 6, 8, etc... This is strictly to address the multi-player dogfighting aspect of the sim center. Start out with 2 and build up your business every 6 months with larger shop lease and more sims as needed to best balance your income and what the market in your area will yield.

This is the "secret" business formula most use. If you can't make that work cash positive, don't try it.

Edited by BHawthorne

I'm thinking a couple of real training flights in a Cesna would beat any training flights in a simulator hands down.

Asus Sabertooth P67 Motherboard 2600k CPU, 16 gig DDR3, 1600. Samsung 830, 256 gig hard drive,

GTX780 Video Card, Warthog Hotas, Razer Mamba mouse. Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals. Trackir 5, Verizon FIOS 25Meg Up/Down

I'm thinking a couple of real training flights in a Cesna would beat any training flights in a simulator hands down.

I've tried neither, but would definitely go for a real Cessna rather than a simulated A-10.

Edited by Yurgon
Typo

Im pretty new to DCS A-10C but I was just thinking about things that I wish existed for flight sim and it gave me an idea that i wanted to get other peoples take on and see if they think something like this would work.

Say there was a center in Houston, Texas that was around DCS A-10. This center does 4-day programs in Full Scale A-10 cockpits. It would be run like you might expect of a fighter squadron and room and board would be included.

The facility would have Pilot quarters, classrooms, a chow hall, squadron bar, sim room, exc.

The programs would be:

Basic Flight School ($600)- Students would get a mix of classrom and simulator rides teching the basics of A-10 procedures, weapon employment, and fliight. Course would end with a final combat mission.

Advanced Flight School ($600)- a mix of classroom and sim rides, now that people know how to operate the jet, training would get into advanced techniques, flight planning and flying with a wingman, exc.

Squadron Deployment ($1200)- (prerequisite: advanced flight school) here guys would basically spend 4 days flying missions as if they were deployed with a flight squadron

......anyway i was just wondering if something like this would be worth looking at getting into, id pay to do this but idk if anyone else would.

I'll teach you all you would want to know, all you could ever know and it'll cost you zilch.

and.,..................you can do it from the comfort of your own home.

Your immersion in relation to your hardware is your business, but travelling half way around the world to then give up an extortionate amount of money for a limited time, is er.....................not only 'not' sensible, but pure madness.

like i said.......................for 'zilch'. If however, you wanna pay me 600$, well, ..................................................................................

Just my tuppence, but an interesting thought nonetheless.

'T'

Edited by Tyger

Come pay us a visit on YouTube - search for HELI SHED

Main Banner.PNG

What i'd pay good money for is a dogfighting session in a centrifuge based simpit. Constant rpm, two arms(for 1v1 dogfighting) and the pilot sitting in a gimballed shell moving along the radius which is rotated with electric motors so that the g-s point in the right direction. It could incorporate both hardcore and casual sims (for example the new fighter jet in arcade or sim mode) because the main selling point would be the fact that it's a centrifuge and you could bet your friends who would pass out first. :D (or fox-2 into a little brown paper bag)

What i'd pay good money for is a dogfighting session in a centrifuge based simpit. Constant rpm, two arms(for 1v1 dogfighting) and the pilot sitting in a gimballed shell moving along the radius which is rotated with electric motors so that the g-s point in the right direction. It could incorporate both hardcore and casual sims (for example the new fighter jet in arcade or sim mode) because the main selling point would be the fact that it's a centrifuge and you could bet your friends who would pass out first. :D (or fox-2 into a little brown paper bag)

Ya, that'll never happen. :smilewink:

You're after what is referred to as a FMT - full motion trainer.

Forget it.

Unless of course you Join the NG, have an IQ of about 170, can do TSD in nanoseconds and was one of the brainy kids that was bullied at school.

I jest of course, but this sort of hardware is not available commercially.

and before im trumped by a smartass, i`ll add that brilliant get out clause - 'IMHO'.

:smilewink:

No...........stick with what you can get commercially. money is the only barrier for a really good pit system. 180 degree curved screen or even dome, commissioned hardware etc etc.

we can all dream.

Personally, i quite 'like' my wife and kids, they're not bad once you get used to them.

Happy Christmas.

'T'

Edited by Tyger

Come pay us a visit on YouTube - search for HELI SHED

Main Banner.PNG