Whats up with this? More Bugs?

TZeer

I wonder what does "object" really mean? Quickly browsing through EDM docs, I see that EDM can contain multiple objects: renderable geometry, bounding box, collision shell and etc. That could explain variation in object count.

Can these 1 object models be destroyed in game? Or are they only for rendering?

Yes, the models that can be destroyed have their own .edm file for the destroyed model.

The 6 object tank model, has a moving turret, main gun, machine-gun and belts. That's 4 animations.

The 38 object radar have moving belts and radar. 2 animations.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

About the previously mentioned doubling of objects in game: Is it actually the shadows causing it, as someone suspected? You said the result is the same with Shadows on Low. I'm not at my home PC right now so I can't check, but is the number of objects still double what it is supposed to be if shadows are turned off completely?

What about airborne objects viewed in such a way that no shadows should be visible?

I ask because it seems a peculiar way to do shadows, rendering the whole object twice. Then again I have no particular knowledge about graphics coding, so I'd defer to someone with experience in that field.

About the previously mentioned doubling of objects in game: Is it actually the shadows causing it, as someone suspected? You said the result is the same with Shadows on Low. I'm not at my home PC right now so I can't check, but is the number of objects still double what it is supposed to be if shadows are turned off completely?

What about airborne objects viewed in such a way that no shadows should be visible?

I ask because it seems a peculiar way to do shadows, rendering the whole object twice. Then again I have no particular knowledge about graphics coding, so I'd defer to someone with experience in that field.

It's not just objects doubling, triangulation doubles as well.

If you are willing to do some tests, I can try to help out. Boat-1.edm seems to not be using LOD's correctly. All lod's are displaying at once from what I can tell from a quick look at the files

Nevada map contributer

EDM Modeling tools FAQ:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1418067&postcount=1

Seo libh a chairde is chanadh liom. Líonaigí'n oíche le greann is le spórt. Seo sláinte na gcarad atá imithe uainn. Mar cheo an tsléibhe uaine, iad imithe go deo

It's not just objects doubling, triangulation doubles as well.

AFAIK, shadows on LOW doesnt effect Ground objects. As I've done Shadows on LOW, MED,HIGH and they are the same, shadows AFAIK is only working on Aircraft.

The Shadow IS the mesh being rendered in an alternate/shadow state to create the accurate shadows.

I did however point out, that high "object" meshes also have high shadow casting and receiving

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

It might be the problem as when they have the IL76 would spawn, and there would be doubled and sometimes tripple the model spawning inside each-other. You wouldn't find out this happen until the models start turning to way points. :joystick:

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

Someone please do a test with this. I would recommend renaming it to a tank model, place 100 or so of the original ones, write down frames, then try this one and write down frames.

Edited by luckybob9

Nevada map contributer

EDM Modeling tools FAQ:

Seo libh a chairde is chanadh liom. Líonaigí'n oíche le greann is le spórt. Seo sláinte na gcarad atá imithe uainn. Mar cheo an tsléibhe uaine, iad imithe go deo

ok, new community project, replace all ED's Old Ground Objects and Aircraft EDMs.

Who's Down? Im obviously busy, being on a Team, as well as having my own Projects on the side.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

Ok finally a working one with LOD's give this a try and let me know if there is a difference

boat-1.rar

Nevada map contributer

EDM Modeling tools FAQ:

Man your quick! I also suspect the containers too.

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

Man your quick! I also suspect the containers too.

A quick look, it seems that some models converted from old cmd to edm lost all LOD data and all the LOD's are combined into a single file all displaying at once. I just checked dok_s.edm and it had the same symptoms

Nevada map contributer

EDM Modeling tools FAQ:

So you think eds going tackle this and fix? Or are we going take very single object and separate them?

Anything about Bczels updated models causing an issue too?

Edited by Mastiff

So you think eds going tackle this and fix? Or are we going take very single object and separate them?

I am not sure. I am not sure if the community is able to do it because you need to modify the helpers inside the file.

Nevada map contributer

EDM Modeling tools FAQ:

Zach, this high "objects" FPS drop problem unfortunately isn't a LOD model issue.

Seems "objects" eat more FPS than "triangles", doesn't matter how the LOD optimized.

Very strange, but what is certain this problem related to old originally made CMD models which had been converted to EDM.

No problems with newer LOM-EDM and newest EDM models.

Maybe something wrong with the converter, with the CMD-EDM conversion.

I think we should do a FPS-check...a same old CMD model with first LOMAC/FC-ModelViewer (or ingame) and compare to a same but converted CMD-EDM model in DCS-ModelViewer. :idea:

Edited by HungaroJET

Atop the midnight tarmac,

a metal beast awaits.

To be flown below the radar,

to bring the enemy his fate.

HAVE A BANDIT DAY !

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"When I'm working on a problem, I never think about beauty. I think only how to solve the problem. But when I have finished, if the solution is not beautiful, I know it is wrong." - R. Buckminster Fuller (1895 - 1983), American Architect, Author, Designer, Inventor, and Futurist

The two model I posted with fixed LOD's were re-exported from 3ds max and did not go through any conversion. I am trying to rule out the conversion process and LOD's as variables. As well as any residual stuff left over from the original cmd format

Edited by luckybob9

Nevada map contributer

EDM Modeling tools FAQ:

Unfortunately i cannot check your model with my "current" old PC with old 32 bit XP. :( (GFX card died in the new rig)

DCSW-ModelViewer is a 64 bit application.

Atop the midnight tarmac,

a metal beast awaits.

To be flown below the radar,

to bring the enemy his fate.

HAVE A BANDIT DAY !

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"When I'm working on a problem, I never think about beauty. I think only how to solve the problem. But when I have finished, if the solution is not beautiful, I know it is wrong." - R. Buckminster Fuller (1895 - 1983), American Architect, Author, Designer, Inventor, and Futurist

Rename the current boat or dok file to a tanks modelname. Place 100 on a flat area. Check frames. Download my boat or dok file and rename it to the tank. Use the same 100 unit test and check for difference in frames.

Or do some kind of test that can see if there is any improvement of mine vs the stock versions

Nevada map contributer

EDM Modeling tools FAQ:

A quick look, it seems that some models converted from old cmd to edm lost all LOD data and all the LOD's are combined into a single file all displaying at once. I just checked dok_s.edm and it had the same symptoms

it also coulda been a Change in DCSW 1.2.x, cuz i dont have this big of hit in DCS:A-10C

:pilotfly:

it also coulda been a Change in DCSW 1.2.x, cuz i dont have this big of hit in DCS:A-10C

:pilotfly:

Does standalone A10C contain .cmd model files? They were all converted to edm at some point

Nevada map contributer

EDM Modeling tools FAQ: