Learned how to use MAVs!!!

LexiconG2

No.

TGP is not "the SPI".

The SPI is the sensor point selected as of interest: assigning a SPI with TGP as SOI causes the TGP's "target" to become the SPI, but this is not "slaving to TGP". To illustrate:

it is not:

MAV asks TGP for "SPI"

it is:

TGP tells computer what is SPI

MAV asks computer for SPI

The difference is subtle when at the basic level, but can be important for advanced use. (Especially when we start preparing for fun thing like "rippling" JDAM and/or Mavs on multiple targets in one pass.)

So you're telling me setting the TGP as SPI for example doesnt set the TGP as SPI? When I slave to the SPI it's slaving to where the TGP is pointed. Same goes for markpoints/waypoints, etc... (I'm not unfamiliar with drops in the same pass with guided munitions either. I have a pretty firm understanding of HOW to do it.)

I'm only getting my information from the manual so where it says, "Set Sensor as SPI – This function allows the TGP, TAD, Maverick or HUD to define the SPI. TMS Forward Long", it is saying that you're setting a sensor to the SPI and in essence when you slave all sensors, you're slaving to the SPI which in this case is the TGP. So wouldn't slaving to the TGP if SPI or slaving to the SPI be the same in this case? I get that SOI is not the SPI.

it is saying that you're setting a sensor to the SPI

You are not "setting a sensor to the SPI".

You are setting the SPI with a sensor, which is the SOI.

Page 397 does say this:

For the other MFCD that may be set to a sensor, a ―NOT SOI‖ message is displayed. The below examples apply to TAD, TGP and Maverick.

^^^ That is not quite the same as what you quoted from this page.

---

It's semantics, as you have the process :-)

WC

Edited by Wrecking Crew

Visit the Hollo Pointe DCS World server -- an open server with a variety of COOP & H2H missions including Combined Arms. All released missions are available for free download, modification and public hosting, from my Wrecking Crew Projects site.

So you're telling me setting the TGP as SPI for example doesnt set the TGP as SPI?

Correct.

SOI: Sensor of Interest.

SPI: Sensor Point of Interest.

You set a SPI with your SOI. When you do this, you have assigned the location this sensor was pointing at as your SPI. That point is now your SPI, irregardless of what you afterwards do with this sensor.

For example, you can use TGP to set a SPI, save SPI to markpoint, set another SPI, save to markpoint, etcetera etcetera. Then turn your TGP off entirely.

...and then keep your Mavs slaved to SPI and having your markpoints as SPI, select markpoint A, launch, select markpoint B, launch, select markpoint C, launch... etcetera. Extremely effetive if you want to deliver multiple JDAMs on an area in one pass.

However, at no point is the TGP a "SPI". You only use the TGP to designate a SPI. This is different, but can indeed be used in such a way that the the MAV becomes effectively "slaved" to TGP. (The computer then uses your systems to figure out where your TGP was pointing in the terrain and this point becomes your SPI, useable by all other systems in the aircraft.)

I'm only getting my information from the manual so where it says, "Set Sensor as SPI – This function allows the TGP, TAD, Maverick or HUD to define the SPI. TMS Forward Long", it is saying that you're setting a sensor to the SPI and in essence when you slave all sensors, you're slaving to the SPI which in this case is the TGP. So wouldn't slaving to the TGP if SPI or slaving to the SPI be the same in this case? I get that SOI is not the SPI.

Marked the important point there.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

congrats on the use of mavs. learning the weapon system is quite easy actually. just throw yourself in the fire and you'll learn it. that's what i am going to do with learning the CDU. didnt take me long at all to figure out the weapon systems. set your SPI with the TGP then hit "slave all sensors" while the mav is pulled up on the MFCD, it'll slew right to the target you selected with the TGP. remember that the mav is not locked on at this point. you'll have to slew the mav around until it locks, then release. just wait until you learn JDAM and laser guided bombs with CCRP mode.....really cool. then......when you start using JTAC and getting designation on your TAD.......it gets even cooler.

in simple words:

SPI is the thing that is most likely is to go "boom"

SOI is the sensor(TAD, HUD, TGP, MAV) that you use to create that SPI.

dUJOta.jpg

Windows 11 | i9 12900KF | 64GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | TM MFDs + Lilliput 8" | TIR5 Pro

As noted it's the Point of Interest. Wherever that point (tank, building, BMP, bunker, Rock) is what you are aiming at and intend to destroy or pass along to someone else. The SOI is just the tool you are using to look at the SPI.

• Like 1

Asus Sabertooth P67 Motherboard 2600k CPU, 16 gig DDR3, 1600. Samsung 830, 256 gig hard drive,

GTX780 Video Card, Warthog Hotas, Razer Mamba mouse. Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals. Trackir 5, Verizon FIOS 25Meg Up/Down

• 11 months later...

Tried the Maverick training mission about 10 times, but the Maverick don't want to leave the A-10C:

Followed the trainers instructions to the point (at least, so I think): at the target waypoint (3: "Range"):

- I'am within the tolerated maverick range,

- the object is locked: I see the crosshair shivering (and closed),

- I push the "weapon release" button: the trainer says: "rifle",

.................... but nothing happens.

Do you have any suggestions what I did wrong / what I neglected to do?

Best regards, Willem

Thanks Hans: well: I 1:1 followed the trainers instructions: so that must be AGM, I asume ......

But, so things go: just after my post, I tried the 11* time and now the maverick was anxious to leave the A-10!!

What did I now what I didn't do before? ....... don't know: the only thing was, that I opened now (just before firing) the weapons page at the TAD to be sure that the maverick was choosen ....... :hmm:

(but I assume, that following the trainers instructions, this maverick had allready been choosen.....?)

Resuming: I have further to learn and study and exercise (and for sure quite a lot) :yes:

Edited by wavn

Best regards, Willem

Tried the Maverick training mission about 10 times, but the Maverick don't want to leave the A-10C:

Followed the trainers instructions to the point (at least, so I think): at the target waypoint (3: "Range"):

- I'am within the tolerated maverick range,

- I push the "weapon release" button: the trainer says: "rifle",

.................... but nothing happens.

Do you have any suggestions what I did wrong / what I neglected to do?

Did you make sure it was selected in the DSMS? I know it sounds like a gimme but this has happened to me before. Everything works as it appears it should, get a lock, fire....nothing. **** I forgot to select it!

I pay carefull attention now that the maverick is selected in the DSMS.

Nevertheless, releasing the maverick is still not "fail safe":

again:

- I push the "weapon release" button

.................. but I cannot be sure, that it is released:

today:

- try to release: no joy", trying to release again, again, and then at a minimum tolerated range: there she goes,

- second turn: she went about immediately.

Still not sure what I'am doing different ............

Best regards, Willem

Just to make sure... are you holding the launch button or just push it briefly?

P.S. other reasons why MAV can want not to break with you: 1) not selected as weapon (check HUD or DSMS) 2) flaps are down.

Edited by ZaltysZ

Wir sehen uns in Walhalla.

Just to make sure... are you holding the launch button or just push it briefly?

P.S. other reasons why MAV can want not to break with you: 1) not selected as weapon (check HUD or DSMS) 2) flaps are down.

1): I pushed it short sometimes (I think)

2): I remember that I saw on occasion the message "FLAPS": so that is quite an explanation (not too clever of me: it didn't come up to me that I had the flaps out)

Last flight: pushed it longer, didn't see the message "Flaps": everything was fine: all 4 went like "Dutch skaters"!!

Didn't realize that the flaps were out: I see now that at the start the flaps are allready 1 stage out by default: how can you win the war with this guy? .......................

Thanks ZaltysZ: I think, that you have tackled the reasons of the failure to release the mav's.

Edited by wavn

Best regards, Willem

To me it sounds like you are using a training version of the Maverick. If that's the case, then the Maverick you are carrying is just a dummy and not a real weapon. It has no explosives and no engine, it's an almost empty missle with only the sensors implemented. So you can practice using the Maverick sensor to lock on to targets, but you can't shoot it away. I think it's designated TGM-65 instead of AGM-65.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg