Aries Radio System

towsim

Great news !!

Tbe Mirage is working perfect now. Thanks towsim.

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok so i downloaded went through the setup of everything by the pdf instructions. When i went to configure PTT buttons on my X55. Thats when I ran into some issues. In the configuration menu it picks up my x55 throttle and stick. When I hit the "arm" button to change the setting to a button on my stick or throttle nothing happens. The setting doesnt change. So what am I doing wrong and how do i fix this.

Edited by WhiskeySlider

The “arm” button first deletes a previous setting, so to see an empty edit field. Now you need to push the button on the device of your choice. The edit field will then be filled with the device name and the button number. If nothing happens on the device button push, then you ran into a X55 issue with the Rhino software. The Rhino software prevents the normal signal passing. It sends whatever was defined in the Rhino setup. You should try to correct the Rhino setup or to deactivate the entire Rhino software. This should solve the problem.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You only need to use the x-55 profile software and set the hat pov or button you want to use as not programed. Then enter in Aries configurator and arm the pov hat button you need.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

You only need to use the x-55 profile software and set the hat pov or button you want to use as not programed. Then enter in Aries configurator and arm the pov hat button you need.

ok so neither one of these things work for me. I am starting to thing I am having an X55 issue as I cant seem to bind hotas commands on other programs like the VRS superbug.:joystick: Sucks theres always keyboard commands

Edited by WhiskeySlider

Quote from Readme :

DCS new versions

The multiplayer server menu (Advanced) got a new organization. Take care, that the radio button for ‘Resume manual’ is set. The default is ‘Resume with clients’, which lets the mission start as soon as a client enters the game.

Question : Why ? Is there a special reason for doing so ? Also. will we have to restart the mission if anyone disconnects halfway because of this recommendation ?

mfg ente

The normal procedure to start a multiplayer game would be, that all participants enter the game server, select an aircraft, enter the cockpit and then the game would be started by pushing the un-pause button on the game server. This procedure is valid with the configuration ‘Resume manual’.

The configuration ‘Resume with clients’ un-pauses the game automatically as soon as a player enters the cockpit of an aircraft. We found this not so comfortable if one player is already in the running game while other players are still in briefing. The latter configuration caused a confusion on our first trial because ‘Resume manual’ was the default in older versions. After the start, the game behaves normal in both configurations. No restart is required, if someone leaves the game.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

All our servers is set to "Resume on load" whish make the mission start as soon as the mission is loaded. We will not have an admin starting our missions on public servers. We can't use the "Resume manual"!

It is actually up to the users what configuration is used. The thing is the change of the default configuration between the versions, which can cause confusions. The radio application is not impacted by the configuration.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

DCS doesn't really run in full screen mode unless you press alt-Enter so it shouldn't matter i think.

I got a question: Previous installs needed TS to be completely removed before installing and maybe some more stuff, does this still apply?

-

If man were meant to fly he'd be filled with helium.

The only reason why I mentioned ‘full screen mode’ is the behavior of the windows Z-order. In full screen mode, it is impossible to keep the Aries Radio Panel on top of the DCS window. Therefore, Aries Radio should be used with DCS in windowed mode, unless the Aries Radio Panel in not required. Oculus rift is a complete other topic. The use with windowed mode or full screen mode should be answered in one of the oculus rift threads.

@coug4r

TS itself needs not to be uninstalled. Only Aries Radio should be uninstalled. It deletes all Aries Radio files to be sure, that there is no old leftover. This will not be necessary in future versions. Meanwhile I found out how to force the installer to replace the required files safely.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 month later...

Hi towsim.

In our squad we are having problems with the L-39 Albatros in MP. In SP Aries works as intended for the Albatros for every member.

But in MP our squad members are having problems with the Radio and Aries. The intercomm is working but the Radio not. They dont have any yellow light ON, and cant comunicate through it.

Could you point us how to operate the L-39 radio with Aries? Are we doing something wrong in MP? In SP with the battery, the Circuit Breakers and the RDO is enough to make it work but in MP the same steps are doing nothing to activate the Radio.

Thanks in advance.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi Esac_mirmidon,

I will test it out with my fellow pilots this night. Nevertheless, the handling of the radio in multiplayer mode is bound to the SPU-9 panel. Have a look, whether the radio control switch is in the forward position. Because of timing problems during the startup phase, it may be, that the switch comes up in the backward position. This means, that the radio control is lost.

I keep you informed,

TOWSIM

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Towsim,

first thanks for all your hard work on Aries. I was wondering if there was any update you could give the community on the status of making Aries a standalone system not requiring teamspeak as you had indicated was being developed in the past? I cant wait for this and havent seen any status updates for quite a while so i thought i would ask as I know this would fundamentally change how DCS multiplayer is played and will immediately bring the kind of immersion BMS fliers get with its radio system.

thanks again

Charlesnett Callsign - "Fisherman"

@Esac_mirmidon,

The tests for all three DCS versions were successful. The only possibility could be, that the installation was corrupted. Please check the existence of the following file in the DCS installation you used:

C:\Users\[user]\Saved Games\DCS\Scripts\Aries_GameGUI.luac

or

C:\Users\[user]\Saved Games\DCS.openalpha\Scripts\Aries_GameGUI.luac

or

C:\Users\[user]\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Scripts\Aries_GameGUI.luac

These files are necessary to connect to the required DLL for dual cockpits. If they do not exist, please create them and insert the following line:

dofile(lfs.writedir()..'../AriesWings/GameGUIconnect.luac')

Please let me know whether it solved the bug.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

@charlesnett,

We have finished the first performance and quality checks successfully. Since we need not to support concert quality, we can save a lot of network traffic. The next step is the construction of a simple sign-in method. These were the good news. The bad news are, that I will take over a fulltime job again. Therefore my 8 hours per day development will change to weekend development. So the entire project will take more time than planned.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hello towsim,

I got the problem, that Aries does not connect to DCS, since I installed my new OS (Win10) on a new harddrive. I removed aries on the old drive and made an new installation of Teamspeak and Aries on the new drive with the new OS. At the moment Aries does not connect to DCS an the 'Connect Button' in the plugin menu of Teamspeak shows no effect on the export.lua.

Maybe you can give me a hint what may cause the problem. Thank you.

@Hammer_nine_seven

It looks like, that TeamSpeak cannot find the Aries DLL or the path to the Saved Games folder cannot be determined. Windows 10 has a restrictive security layer, which prevents the modification of the registry and the access to some folders on drive C. These limitations should be solved with the latest version of Aries Radio (V1.987M). If you use an older version, please download the latest version from http://www.ariescon.com/index10.html. I assume you made an uninstall of the old version instead of removing it !?

To install the latest version, please go through the following steps:

Step 1:

From the control panel, open ‘Programs and Features’.

Step 2:

uninstall all versions of ‘ABradio’.

Step 3:

If exists, delete the entire folder C:\Users\[user]\Saved Games\AriesWings exists.

Step 4:

Delete the entire folder C:\Program Files\TeamSpeak 3 Client\plugins\AriesRadio.

Step 5:

Install the latest version of Aries Radio.

If the installation does still not work:

The folder, where the installation package was unzipped and started, contains a log file, created by the installer. Please send the file ‘AirbornRadioInstaller_log.html' to support@ariescon.com. I will evaluate the log file and will send further advice.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi towsim,

First of, thanks for this nice piece of software that allows my friend and I to improve the simulation quality of the DCS series.

We have been using ARIES with the Mirage 2000-C and noticed (maybe) some odd behaviors with the range limitation.

Let's consider my friend and I both in a 2000-C.

If I fly less than 40nm from him, I can clearly hear his voice with little to no interference from loss of signal energy.

However, as soon as I go further away, the background noise suddenly kicks in with no linear variation (I was expecting a gradual loss of the words over the background noise, is it correct?)

It is also independ from the radio and frequency used (VHF nor UHF)

(And it is the same for my friend, meaning it is not a problem with my configuration, I think?)

Is this behavior normal?

I know the 2000-C has an emitter power that can be adjustable beetwen 5W or 25W.

If my calculation are correct in terms of energy, with a 12dB SINAD level, we shall in theory be able to hear ourselves correclty:

- from 75nm in UHF, 150nm in VHF with 5W

- from 150nm in UHF, 250nm in VHF with 25W

So I can think that hearing the background noise starting to appear clearer at 40nm is normal in UHF set at 5W but not in VHF at 5W, is it a possible bug?

Finally, did you implement the switching capability of the 2000-C radio emission power? If not, do you conrfirm that the used value is 5W?

Thanks in advance for your answers,

and appart from that, we've been really enjoying the ride with ARIES.

Carry on on this one ;)

Edited by LhuanDula

@LuhanDula

Your observations are basically right and my fellow pilots told me more than one time. Because we do not distinguish between the different types of transmitter systems and do not consider the individual transmitter power. It is prepared internally but not programmed finally. It is planned to have individual parameter for each aircraft in one of the coming versions. The current behavior is based on my experience what I have heard in my control tower. I observed roughly 3 states. One is a clear undisturbed reception. Only the clear identified voice modulation is amplified. White noise is clamped off. The second is a distance where the white noise reaches a certain threshold. At this distance, the receiver cannot differentiate anymore between the modulation and white noise. The entire reception, white noise and voice modulation, is amplified. With older receiver types, the white noise came into the foreground gradually. The newer, digitally constructed systems observe defined thresholds. This causes the white noise sound to jump in suddenly. The third is the distance at which the receiver decides, that white noise covers the entire voice modulation. That is the moment, the receiver switches off. Unless squelch is switched on. Furthermore, the terrain profile and the horizon are considered.

As I stated, there is no difference between the systems. Therefore, the 5W and 25 W switch is not evaluated up to now. I hope, you can live with these limitations for a while...

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]