First flights......

Mt5_Roie

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My very first attempt. (60% fuel - no external weapons - forgot trackir...)

Without any axis tune (but this is nr1 on the to do list now :D )

:pilotfly::joystick::pilotfly:

That reminded me of the scene in BAT21 where Danny Glover steals the Huey to go and get Gene Hackman! All over the place! :thumbup:

Just gotta transfer my 1.2.4 files from netbook to PC and I'll be up there, too.

That reminded me of the scene in BAT21 where Danny Glover steals the Huey to go and get Gene Hackman! All over the place! :thumbup:

That was my flying for a couple hours last night.

Coder - Oculus Rift Guy - Court Jester

Take off and landing video

I have reverted to not using either deadzones nor curvature.

You really need to move the cyclic as if You are stirring in a pot inorder to keep it relative stable. The smaller the movements and being ahead of events is really what makes a difference.

Edited by fjacobsen

i7-10700K 3.8-5.1Ghz, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 12GB, 1 x 1 TB SSD, 2 x 2TB SSD2 TB,  1 x 2 TBHDD 7200 RPM, Win10 Home 64bit, Meta Quest 3.

Trouble hovering? Watch this:http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-URVYxyIww4

Then watch it again while following on your controls.

Then watch it again and notice where he is looking (hint it's not down). Helps to look at distant point and use peripheral vision to sense motion to be corrected.

Strange thing happened to me a one point last night, I just thought ' I want to move over there' and it did with out really thinking about the inputs the helicopter just kinda went where I wanted it to go. Of course with all the other random movements I was making it may have been inevitable.

Trouble hovering? Watch this:http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-URVYxyIww4

Then watch it again while following on your controls.

Then watch it again and notice where he is looking (hint it's not down). Helps to look at distant point and use peripheral vision to sense motion to be corrected.

Strange thing happened to me a one point last night, I just thought ' I want to move over there' and it did with out really thinking about the inputs the helicopter just kinda went where I wanted it to go. Of course with all the other random movements I was making it may have been inevitable.

Yes ..

That video is actually very good and gives alot of good hints.

i7-10700K 3.8-5.1Ghz, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 12GB, 1 x 1 TB SSD, 2 x 2TB SSD2 TB,  1 x 2 TBHDD 7200 RPM, Win10 Home 64bit, Meta Quest 3.

Take off and landing video

I have reverted to not using neither deadzones nor curvature.

You really need to move the cyclic as if You are stirring in a pot inorder to keep it relative stable. The smaller the movements and being ahead of events is really what makes a difference.

The sounds are great in that. I saw some discussion about this on another thread, but I think that sound is good.

Unfortunately I had some issues with the reinstallation of DCSW yesterday (the Ka50 module - sorted now) so I didn't have time for flying. Hopefully get it up this evening (arf!).

btw - just a little English help, if you say "not" then you have to use "either".

So it would be "not using either..."

if you want to say "neither" then you have to leave out the "not" as in:

"using neither..."

;)

The sounds are great in that. I saw some discussion about this on another thread, but I think that sound is good.

Unfortunately I had some issues with the reinstallation of DCSW yesterday (the Ka50 module - sorted now) so I didn't have time for flying. Hopefully get it up this evening (arf!).

btw - just a little English help, if you say "not" then you have to use "either".

So it would be "not using either..."

if you want to say "neither" then you have to leave out the "not" as in:

"using neither..."

;)

Thanks for correcting me...

If You need help with Your Danish grammar - just tell :)

My god. I got the thing started easily enough. Then it felt like I was riding a bucking bronco. Well, I got it into a hover within the next 15 minutes or so (yeah, if you really want to call what I am doing a hover), taxied out to the runway, and took off. Forward flight has never been more difficult in my entire life. My little trip from Senaki to Kutaisi probably took a few more minutes than it should have. I blame the S-turns.

From Kutaisi, I went to a little area where I had some targets set up. Fuel trucks, no problem. I started with the miniguns, M134s are pretty cool beasts. Except, as pilot, I could, quite literally, not hit the broad side of a barn to save my life. So I switched to rockets. Figures that 38 of them would only net me three trucks..

I wasn't discouraged yet though; I was determined to kill the other five trucks. I backed off a mile or so, and then switched to guns. I got one, then two, then th.. Wait, no, I didn't get that one. So I bank into a hard left turn to re-engage. My helicopter wouldn't have any of that. It stalled out and promptly planted itself in the dirt before I could regain control.

I hope at least some peoples' experiences are better than mine. Because so far, this module has taught me that I have no business ever being a helicopter pilot in real life.

That being said, someday, this will happen. I may have enough decency then to make a statement on here so that you all can hide in your basements. Or, you know, bring a video camera.

Anyways, I was only on for a quick hop before I leave to go take the AFOQT (Planes are more my thing). I was having nightmares about people yelling at me whilst I took the test. Needless to say, that was quite annoying. Nothing like the soft purr of a Huey as the rotor blades gracefully strangle the air.

Peace,

Pyroflash.

• Like 1

If you aim for the sky, you will never hit the ground.

Yes ..

That video is actually very good and gives alot of good hints.

I watched that thing so many times looking at the gauges as best I could.

The transition from forward flight to hover, when your speed is around 30-40knots is just plain brutal and requires max concentration.

The loss of transitional lift shakes your fillings in your teeth out and this is the key point where you need to control the collective and the rudder inputs to maintain controlled descent.

At least this is how I am sorta understanding it in my non pilot lingo and confused brain.

I did get one right on a rig yesterday.

Thermaltake View 91, Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra, i9 9900K, Corsair H150i Pro, 32Gb Trident Z 3200, Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 2080ti, Corsair AX1200i, Warthog A-10 Hotas, MFG Crosswind pedals, TiR5 Pro, HP Reverb Pro

From what I have seen on the forums here the general consensus (imho) of RL pilot feedback is they like it and seem comfortable allthough it is a bit jittery and the pendulum effect seems a tad harsh.

Perhaps this is controller inputs that need tweeking, cause when looking at Furia's vids, the man has full control. ;)

Thermaltake View 91, Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra, i9 9900K, Corsair H150i Pro, 32Gb Trident Z 3200, Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 2080ti, Corsair AX1200i, Warthog A-10 Hotas, MFG Crosswind pedals, TiR5 Pro, HP Reverb Pro

Just done about 6-8 take-off's not stop, controlled hovers transitions, circuit and landings into wind (3m/s) with not a single VRS or uncontrolled loss of transitional lift on landing.

Looks like I'm learning and getting the 'feel' of this thing at last. :smartass:

I'm still using the runway but each one I manage to get closer to my virtual LZ in my head. Not missing by much.

I noticed when flying huey that i cant even have straight flight for more than 10 seconds..The thing keeps rolling left and right all the time. Cant even stabilize it using trim.

And i have no problem flying Ka-50, and have a TM warthog setup, placed on pedestal between my legs..

Probably i get too used to kamov autopilot- channels thingie...

When taking off, i almost always hit the ground with my nose (probably braking nose antennas)..

Landing...i don't even wanna describe how much I suck at it.

Hmmm. Back to basic helicopter flight school for me.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Pilot from Croatia

For those who think the Huey is "too jittery": read Robert Mason's memories (Chickenhawk) about his 1st time in a Huey. ;)

Yeah man, those guys were flying something like 4 hours actual flight time a day for months in training iirc from the book.

My logbook tells me I have 3.5 hours in the UH-1H.

Lots more work ahead

:thumbup:

I noticed when flying huey that i cant even have straight flight for more than 10 seconds..The thing keeps rolling left and right all the time. Cant even stabilize it using trim.

And i have no problem flying Ka-50, and have a TM warthog setup, placed on pedestal between my legs..

Probably i get too used to kamov autopilot- channels thingie...

When taking off, i almost always hit the ground with my nose (probably braking nose antennas)..

Landing...i don't even wanna describe how much I suck at it.

Hmmm. Back to basic helicopter flight school for me.

Landings the challenge for sure.

Take offs, look for Furia's youtube vid, great advice there.

She will yaw right from torque and want to go nose over to the right slightly as you increase the collective.

In Furias vid he demonstrates it nicely, you can trim the cyclic left and back a bit before you take off which minimises input required when you lift off.

Once airborne the Huey on this video seams very stable, not much stick work, can someone recreate the flying pattern this guy is doing and post the track. Taxi low from ramp to helipad, looks like he almost only using pedals if you watch the stick in this video, take-off at 4.0

First flight - 4 landings. One on the roof of big building. What I'm doing wrong. )

BTW - Extended Warthog is to heavy to do so much quick actions.

If you don't mind me asking, where did you get the Warthog extension from and how much did it cost? I'm definitely interested in getting my hands on such a mod.

i7-7700K @ 4.9Ghz | 16Gb DDR4 @ 3200Mhz | MSI Z270 Gaming M7 | MSI GeForce GTX 1080ti Gaming X | Win 10 Home | Thrustmaster Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Oculus Rift S

If you don't mind me asking, where did you get the Warthog extension from and how much did it cost? I'm definitely interested in getting my hands on such a mod.

I've ordered it in my friend's repair-shop. Unfortunately they refuse to make some more, as far there were no required pipes available any more.

You can find more info and cheapest version in here: http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1032368&postcount=1 and here http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1057586&postcount=1

Всех убью, один останусь!

I've ordered it in my friend's repair-shop. Unfortunately they refuse to make some more, as far there were no required pipes available any more.

You can find more info and cheapest version in here: http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1032368&postcount=1 and here http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1057586&postcount=1

Thanks for the info, Necroscope. The mod looks pretty amazing. Shame it's not available any more.

Oh well...

i7-7700K @ 4.9Ghz | 16Gb DDR4 @ 3200Mhz | MSI Z270 Gaming M7 | MSI GeForce GTX 1080ti Gaming X | Win 10 Home | Thrustmaster Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Oculus Rift S