P-51 Hotas Anyone?

P-51 Hotas Anyone?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. P-51 Hotas Anyone?

Man I can't wait to see. Thanks for continuing to update your progress.

I have to say thank you to everyone who is interested in this project for being so patient. It is definitely taking much longer than I anticipated, but I am hoping the result is worth it!

Wow that bracket is quite tricky. I guess you didn`t cast it, but welded it. It had to be some hours of fiddling. Good job!

Yes, it was definitely a challenging piece...there were many "colorful" words used during the assembly of this piece! I have to say that there will not be many manufactured using this method...for any kind of volume I will need to look at casting, or simplifying the design for machining.

LOGICNC.COM

The Next Logical Step

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Face plate machining completed...ready for forming.

Seriously sick! Have you already decided how you are going to mount all your axis inputs? Are you planning on using hall or photometers? I'm really curious to see how all these part will fit together.

Edited by Whiplash

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Adulthood is like looking both ways before you cross the street and then getting hit by an airplane."

Dogs of War Dedicated WWII Server Thread

The real thing is designed to mount to the upper longeron around 8 inches forward of where the windshield bow meets the cockpit split line. The longeron is an H shaped extruded beam and the throttle's has a bracket that has holes that are used to bolt it to the longeron. If this unit has that same bracket it will not be too much of an issue to rig some kind of clamp that can be mated to the throttles mounting bracket to attach it to a desk or table.

Hopefully it has the original bracket for those who want to build replica cockpits. Seems like it would since everything I have seen here appears to be right out of the factory P-51 drawings.

Seriously sick! Have you already decided how you are going to mount all your axis inputs? Are you planning on using hall or photometers? I'm really curious to see how all these part will fit together.

I have a pretty good idea of how it's going to work...hopefully the idea will be somewhat easily accomplished! The plan is to use hall effect sensors, though I don't know if everyone will agree that the extra cost is worth it. The sensors I have spec'd out are about $25 a pop so that's $100 just in sensors to add to the bill. There is the cheaper alternative of building my own sensors using just a hall effect IC and magnet, but then that adds significantly to the work required to build a unit.

Looking fantastic! That's something I've been wondering too - how will the throttle mount to the average desk?

Getting better and better every time!

Like hvengel mentioned, the quadrant is really designed to be mounted by the top flange of the main bracket. I have a couple ideas floating around, but honestly I'm not 100% sure on the mounting yet...I'd like to try a couple different options and see which feels best. I also need to keep the mounting as simple (low cost) as possible, so I can actually keep these units at a price point where people are still able to afford them.

LOGICNC.COM

The Next Logical Step

25$ for a hall sensor is way overkill.

A1302 hall effect chip is 0.50$ on ebay, for a diy sensor:

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3225807/DIY_hall_sensor.html

Although he uses A1302 which are 5$ on ebay, and have double the sensitivity of the 1301. 2.5 mV/G vs 1.3 mV/G.

There are 5 mV/G ratiometric linear hall chips but didn't find those on ebay.

25$ for a hall sensor is way overkill.

A1302 hall effect chip is 0.50$ on ebay, for a diy sensor:

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3225807/DIY_hall_sensor.html

Although he uses A1302 which are 5$ on ebay, and have double the sensitivity of the 1301. 2.5 mV/G vs 1.3 mV/G.

There are 5 mV/G ratiometric linear hall chips but didn't find those on ebay.

It looks like he spec'd out a drop-in solution for the hall sensor to avoid extra work/cost devising a mounting solution.

"There is the cheaper alternative of building my own sensors using just a hall effect IC and magnet, but then that adds significantly to the work required to build a unit."
I used an allegro chip for my throttle but if you want long term reliability you might want to invest the extra money in the complete engineered hall-effect rotary or linear position sensor.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

[Dogs of War] WWII COMBAT SERVER | P-51D - FW190-D9 - Me109-K4

Visit Our Website & Forum to Get More Info & Team Speak Access

The hall sensors I spec'd are expensive for sure, however they do offer a few advantages over a diy solution. I will be working on a custom solution to reduce cost in parallel, but I suspect I will run into some issues with shielding which will add to the cost and complexity.

In other news, the face plate is finished! This one is powder coated and turned out quite nicely. This one is a little worse for wear as I figured out the proper way to form it. I may do a separate black anodized plate, just to see which one I like better, though the powder coating method is pretty slick.

I'm open to ideas on how people would like to see this get mounted to a desk...just keep in mind KISS! Mine will be hard mounted to the wall with an L-bracket...but I'm not so sure everyone else wants to do that!

Final assembly begins this weekend (minus electronics)!

photo.thumb.JPG.c24e1ea16ff9d2b43aeb2514f35eb628.JPG

LOGICNC.COM

The Next Logical Step

As for the mount - will need to have a think about it. I just have a desk so it's going to have to be a clamp or a floor mount approach (with custom made pole). I'd say the desk mount is the most likely approach. Will get back to you.

Assembly complete!

Had (and still have) a couple minor issues, but overall I'm pretty pleased with how it went together.

I realized I mixed up the lengths of the bosses on the main bracket, so I was grinding one side and adding spacers to the other. Also the die on my metal bender wouldn't allow me to get quite the right arm lengths on the levers so there is a bit of interference near the end of stroke...but that should be a quick fix.

I'm happy to say the lever movement to emerg full rich works great...let's just say you'll never accidentally move it there! It takes a fair amount of force to break the wire.

Time to add some sensors...

bu3u3uza.jpg

uze3ypum.jpg

• Like 1

LOGICNC.COM

The Next Logical Step

That looks absolutely awesome!!!

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I'm not personally interested on the P-51d but my word that throttle quadrant looks top notch. I'm sure the people that buy it will be very satisfied.

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

• 2 weeks later...

Having done a 3D model of one of these from the factory drawings for a P-51D simulator and knowing what is involved in constructing one I can say that I am impressed. There are a few things (nits so not significant) that only someone who has studied the factory drawings would spot that could perhaps be improved. But it is a prototype so I didn't expect everything to be perfect. Even if nothing changed in the first production version I would be very happy with this since it clearly captures the essence of the late model P-51 throttle.

I want one of these real bad. Fortunately I threw my hat in the ring very early and got my name on the list for one of the first batch. Can't wait to get it.

Edited by hvengel

• 2 weeks later...
Having done a 3D model of one of these from the factory drawings for a P-51D simulator and knowing what is involved in constructing one I can say that I am impressed. There are a few things (nits so not significant) that only someone who has studied the factory drawings would spot that could perhaps be improved. But it is a prototype so I didn't expect everything to be perfect. Even if nothing changed in the first production version I would be very happy with this since it clearly captures the essence of the late model P-51 throttle.

I want one of these real bad. Fortunately I threw my hat in the ring very early and got my name on the list for one of the first batch. Can't wait to get it.

I don't mind if you point out the nits...it only makes for a better end result for everyone (myself included). I would like to know about anything that I didn't get right that I haven't noticed yet. Here are the ones I know about:

1. Pitch lever is not bent correctly. It is currently bent at a 90 deg angle, but should be bent in a radius and angled down toward the front of the faceplate.

2. THR LOCK knob should be a larger diameter (I messed up on the outside diameter when turning this part on the lathe and didn't find out until I had it on the mill). Also, technically this part used to be cast and would have had raised, instead of engraved lettering.

3. The markers on the mixture plate should be rectangular - since I'm machining and then filling with ink, they need to be radiused

4. The handle on the prop and mixt plate is attached with screws instead of rivets and the posts are put together with pop rivets instead of solid rivets.

5. Mixture lever pointer was put together with pop rivets instead of solid

6. Main body is a reasonable facsimile of the original since it isn't currently a casting - wall thickness is lighter in some spots and some webbing between the posts is missing.

7. For some reason the warning message on the faceplate doesn't look like it's quite in the right position...the text size and vertical spacing is good, but something seems off. The bend just below the warning is too deep, so that may be why it doesn't quite look right.

LOGICNC.COM

The Next Logical Step

I suspected that you already had a list of things that were off (even by little bit). It's sort of the nature of the beast that anyone doing something that is beyond the norm is, if anything, more aware than others what can be done better (Dunning-Kruger effect at the high functioning end of the bell curve). Your list has everything I noticed and a few more which is not surprising. So I would say that you are on top of it.

Also as I pointed out these are nits and 99+% of those who will be interested in getting one of these will not notice. I only noticed because I have actually done a detailed 3D model from the factory blue prints which is not something that very many people have done (perhaps a few hundred on the face of the planet at most).

I am also certain that you will have everything on your list fixed or at least minimized when you start you first production run. Again two thumbs up and I can't wait to get mine.

• 4 weeks later...

It's Alive

So....it's been a long time since the last update.

First test run in DCS P-51!

I apologize for the terrible video...I just wanted to quickly show it's working as intended. It was taken on my old shop computer since I unfortunately had to sell my new sim computer to partially fund this prototype! It just goes to show that DCS P-51 will run on a lowly Intel Q6600 with 4GB ram.

I have to say ED did a great job on the modeling of the quadrant...the range of movement in the sim matches the real hardware almost perfectly.

Edited by LOGICNC.COM

LOGICNC.COM

The Next Logical Step