Flying without stabilisers on.

After spending too much time flying the Huey and almost writing off the KA-50, I decided to jump right back into the cockpit of the KA-50 and see if I had forgotten how to start her up from cold needless to say I had not!

More to the point, I turned off all the pilots aids/stabilisers and to my surprise it felt very much like how the Huey handled without having to add right rudder while on take off because of the coaxial design, It's AFM shows as the principles of helicopter flight are still there but you don't always have to worry about them with the stabilisers on.

It hit me again the shark rocks, it has its own handling profile and is still a helicopter at heart and fly's very much like one but is deadly armed attack helicopter.

Main point if you're into the Huey don't write off the KA-50 as its still a joy to fly and has some really great attack and defensive systems. :thumbup:

:joystick: YouTube :pilotfly:

TimeKilla on Flight Sims over at YouTube.

The thing about the Ka-50 is that it's another layer on top of the flying—the tao of Shark, if you will, is to learn to let the helicopter fly itself while you get on with doing all the complicated targeting and weapons system employment.

That said, I'm looking forward to the Huey (wooo, summer sale!) as a purer expression of pilotage. I'm also looking forward to the Mustang, because it's just a cool airplane to have modeled in such detail.

Black Shark, Harrier, and Hornet pilot

Many Words - Serial Fiction | Ka-50 Employment Guide | Ka-50 Avionics Cheat Sheet | Multiplayer Shooting Range Mission

It's the same with the A10. The flying part is nearly too easy. It's all designed to be a weapon delivery platform.

Flying a "old" aircraft is usually more fun, since it's more complex to master.

I would assume starting/landing a me-109 would be considered pretty hard for the average A-10 pilot. The same as huey an the shark!

Let's wait for the summer sale....

After the Huey I really started to under stand how to fly the Shark and man is she a blade!

No Stabs (only for attack, hover and ingress into the warzone). I have each Stab setup on my joystick and apply each one as required. Emergency AP off is the sweetest button in the game!

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

After the Huey I really started to under stand how to fly the Shark and man is she a blade!

THIS! +1

Of all the wonderful aircraft in my DCS stable, the KA-50 is closest to my heart. Really love flying it :)

Yea, she was my first, I'll never forget :smilewink: