Forum Maintenance between 04:00 - 06:00 UTC ×
Forum Maintenance between 04:00 - 06:00 UTC

Please explain autopilot in mi-8

hreich

Using it is simple. Turn it on and forget about it. At a minimum, turn on the roll/pitch channel.

If you'll be flying in a straight line for a while, it's helpful to turn on the heading channel.

If you'll be flying level for a while, it may even be helpful to turn on the altitude channel.

There is no harm in leaving the heading and altitude channels off all the time, but you will want to have the roll/pitch channel on.

I believe that some people try to think of the system as a locked in "auto pilot" when they would be better off thinking of it as "flight stabilization assistant".

The heading channel really does help during takeoff, landing, and hovering. You can maneuver with it on but best to shut off for most fluid control. Practice different flight situations with the channels on and off and you will see when best to use pretty quickly.

Well, there are some things going on that I have not yet verified to be implemented in-game.

For example, the foot pedals have microswitches in them that DISABLE the heading channel when your feet are on the pedals. In other words, having the heading channel on with your feet on the pedals is the same as having the heading channel off, in the real aircraft, even though the light on the panel will be lit. That's hard to simulate in-game, and I'm not yet sure how Belsimtek plans to handle that.

That's why I say you might as well leave the heading channel off.

As far as the altitude channel goes, it's not terribly useful unless you're planning to fly straight and level for quite a while. Where I work, we never use it at all, even on longer flights. But that's because in the real thing, when you turn it off, the input from the autopilot is unceremoniously dumped...so if there was much input from it, there will be a jump in the collective pitch which is rather abrupt and tends to make passengers nervous.

Well, there are some things going on that I have not yet verified to be implemented in-game.

For example, the foot pedals have microswitches in them that DISABLE the heading channel when your feet are on the pedals. In other words, having the heading channel on with your feet on the pedals is the same as having the heading channel off, in the real aircraft, even though the light on the panel will be lit. That's hard to simulate in-game, and I'm not yet sure how Belsimtek plans to handle that.

That's why I say you might as well leave the heading channel off.

They already did.

Try this with HDG channel engaged:

- Turn without pedal input. You can see on the AP monitor that the autopilot is trying to maintain your original heading.

- Turn with a only the smallest rudder defelction and the HDG autopilot channel will do nothing. However, center the pedals and it will try to maintain heading again. So you'd better completely center the pedals after the turn is complete.

'Frett'

Hello,

I've read all your answers and I would like to know if you use the trim button ?

Here my flight version:

Automatic Pilot: Pitch & Roll are ON (green light), Yaw is ON (green light) and the Attitude (heading) also green light.

When I'm on the parking and I begin to roll or move, for not have any problem with my front wheel I use the trim button of my stick for maintain heading.

Without my trim I must used the rudders for roll right, but if I use my trim button I do not need to use the rudders.

Exemple, I'm on the runway threshold and I want take off, I stop my Mi-8 and I check that my front wheel is right and when everything is OK just before to takeoff I press the trims button.

After I push my stick, my Mi-8 take a speed and after I takeoff, but with this method I can roll well right in the center line of the runaway.

With this method I do not touch of my rudder, after I takeoff and and I use my trim button again.

In flight:

Once I have a good altitude, the good heading, the good roll & pitch, I press the trim button and I do not touch of my collective, cyclic and rudders.

About my autopilot the 3 green lights are ON (Roll & Pitch, Heading and Attitude)...

Please can you tell me if I use well my trim button and my Autopilot ?

PS: I hope that my explanations are correct because my English is a little poor...

A great thanks in advance for your answers and help. Skull

They already did.

Try this with HDG channel engaged:

- Turn without pedal input. You can see on the AP monitor that the autopilot is trying to maintain your original heading.

- Turn with a only the smallest rudder defelction and the HDG autopilot channel will do nothing. However, center the pedals and it will try to maintain heading again. So you'd better completely center the pedals after the turn is complete.

Now if only the Ka-50 would also work like that…

I seem to find that if I change heading with the channel engaged you can do it readily with more pedal input. Then if I hold some pedal pressure briefly, the system seems to settle into it's new stabilized heading on its own.

Try different maneuvers with and without the channels on and see what "feels" right to you. It will vary a bit for different people and flying styles.

I feel like I'm using the Trim key less then in the Huey. Still experimenting though.

Edited by lorenzoj

Really enjoying this chopper now I have mapped keys for the various autopilot/assist options and my flying is reaping the benefit. How many folks are confident in the Mi-8 to fly on MP servers?

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Some good stuff here. Well done Skulleader your English was clear.

I enjoy the Mil 8 and do fly online, although just free flight missions at the moment, I am working on weapons!...no wonder you need 3 people the fly the thing.

The greatest challenge for me are flight transitions ie from forward flight into hover taxi. A complex flight model like the Huey and KA. The KA has what I think are 'dampners' rather than autopilot for heading and altitude and pitch. The Mil 8 feels to me that it to has dampners.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

TrubshawRN -=SHREK 94=-

• 9 months later...

I'm sorry to bump this old thread but i think its better to ask here then make a new thread (please correct me if im wrong)

So am i correct in assuming that the heading AP keeps the heading you were at right when you let go of the pedals? (aka no more manual rudder input?) or do you need to disable it and re-enable it?

Also , what does the rotary nob that changes the heading autopilot actually do? Is it to set up orbits or something?

Thank you

So am i correct in assuming that the heading AP keeps the heading you were at right when you let go of the pedals? (aka no more manual rudder input?) or do you need to disable it and re-enable it?

Correct. You disable it temporarily by placing your feet onto the pedals and thus activating their built-in switches. In DCS you just give some rudder input and the AP channel is disabled.

Also , what does the rotary nob that changes the heading autopilot actually do? Is it to set up orbits or something?

Thank you

The rotary knobs are trim controls. If you have heading stabalizer on you can control it via the rotary to enable small course corrections.

Pitch controls rotary will allow you to adjust pitch up or down:)

• Like 1

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]