DCS: P-47D-30 Discussion

Barrett_g

• 2 weeks later...

I've always been a keen admirer of just how tough the 'Jug was back in the day, and I'm always on the look out for examples of how rugged and dependable she was.

WW2 in Color has some great examples of not just the Thunderbolt, but others as well.

P-47-DANN

According to the “Holy Texts” it’s impossible flying an airplane with a propeller in this conditions.

But, clearly, neither the pilot nor the plane had read the “Flight’s Bible” and plane and pilot returned to home.

Story: this P-47D Thunderbolt of USAAF’s 64th Fighter Squadron “Black Scorpions”, 57th Fighter Group while on a mission to Milan, 1945, struck the ground during a low level strafing run.

Despite the bent props and crushed chin, the pilot nursed the Jug 150 miles home to Grosseto. Victor Sierra

P47-DANN-3

LowDown118

A P-47 flown by Lt. Richard Sulzbach of the 364th Fighter Squadron, 350th Fighter Group, 12th Air Force on April 1,1945.

Lt. Sulzbach had a little run-in with some trees while on a strafing run over Italy. He was able to fly the plane 120 miles back to base and land safely.

It's a real testament to how tough the P-47 was.

Edited by Cool Breeze

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Leonardo Da Vinci

"We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch - we are going back from whence we came."

John F. Kennedy

There's also this one:

_88521959_fre_009553.jpg

Got hit by flak, but continued, bombing and strafing a little, then got back to find this. :)

Story here:

http://www.americanairmuseum.com/media/9699

(PS Not sure if this picture was posted earlier, very long thread here..)

Edit: Yes, it was posted by Mike Busutil here: http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2712905&postcount=646

Edited by Sporg

System specs:

Gigabyte Aorus Master, i7 9700K@std, GTX 1080TI OC, 32 GB 3000 MHz RAM, NVMe M.2 SSD, Oculus Quest VR (2x1600x1440)

Warthog HOTAS w/150mm extension, Slaw pedals, Gametrix Jetseat, TrackIR for monitor use

Any news about P-47 release date?

None yet unfortunately. Just hope and dreams my friend. Just hopes and dreams.

I'm not expecting anything in the way of new maps or aircraft until ED has finished the integration of 1.5 and 2.0..

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Leonardo Da Vinci

"We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch - we are going back from whence we came."

John F. Kennedy

Hi all !

Me and my P47 Thunderbolt simulator are waiting for the DCS'P47 !

The A2A Thunderbolt is good but old and work note correctly with Prepar3D....

Can you accelerate this devellopment ? a have many event and other demonstration in 2016.

See here :

http://www.virtualp47.fr/index.php?lang=fr

My last video : compare the real P47 with my simulator :

[ame=

]
[/ame]

And New York !

[ame=

]
[/ame]

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3614771/Pilots-pay-tribute-fallen-comrade-killed-Hudson-River-crash.html

Only a bent prop, looks like he did a hell of a job saving it...

Edited by Mike Busutil

Kinda funky but neat

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My grand mother's father (grand grand father) was a P47 pilot in french air force (KIA early February 1945). I would realy love to have the opportunity to fly his aircraft in DCS.

I would also love to skin his aircraft but the only documented picture i've got is his aircraft wreckage.

Spitfire IX vs P-47C,

"We flew together in formation, and then I decided to see just what this airplane had to it's credit. I opened the throttle full and the Thunderbolt forged ahead. A moment later exhaust smoke poured from the Spit as the pilot came after me. He couldn't make it, the big Jug had a definite speed advantage. I grinned happily; I'd heard so much about this airplane that I really wanted to show off the Thunderbolt to her pilot. The Jug kept pulling away from the Spitfire; suddenly I hauled back on the stick and lifted the nose. The Thunderbolt zoomed upward, soaring into the cloud-flecked sky. I looked out and back; the Spit was straining to match me, and barely able to hold his position.

But my advantage won only the zoom-once in steady climb, he had me. I gaped as smoke poured from the exhausts and the Spitfire shot past me as if I were standing still. Could that plane CLIMB! He tore upward in a climb I couldn't match in the Jug. Now it was his turn; the broad elliptical wings rolled, swung around and the Spit screamed in, hell-bent on chewing me up.

This was going to be fun. I knew he could turn inside the heavy Thunderbolt; if I attempted to hold a tight turn the Spitfire would slip right inside me. I knew, also, that he could easily outclimb my fighter. I stayed out of these sucker traps. First rule in this kind of a fight: don't fight the way your opponent fights best. No sharp turns; don't climb; keep him at your own level.

We were at 5,000 feet, the Spitfire skidding around hard and coming in on my tail. No use turning; he'd whip right inside me as if I were a truck loaded with cement, and snap out in firing position. Well, I had a few tricks, too. The P-47 was faster, and I threw the ship into a roll. Right here I had him. The Jug could outroll any plane in the air, bar none. With my speed, roll was my only advantage, and I made full use of the manner in which the Thunderbolt could whirl. I kicked the Jug into a wicked left roll, horizon spinning crazily, once, twice, into a third. As he turned to the left to follow, I tramped down on the right rudder, banged the stick over to the right. Around and around we went, left, right, left, right. I could whip through better than two rolls before the Spitfire even completed his first. And this killed his ability to turn inside me. I just refused to turn. Every time he tried to follow me in a roll, I flashed away to the opposite side, opening the gap between our two planes.

Then I played the trump. The Spitfire was clawing wildly through the air, trying to follow me in a roll, when I dropped the nose. The Thunderbolt howled and ran for the earth. Barely had the Spitfire started to follow-and I was a long way ahead of him by now-when I jerked back on the stick and threw the Jug into a zoom climb. In a straight or turning climb, the British ship had the advantage. But coming out of a dive, there's not a British or a German fighter that can come close to a Thunderbolt rushing upward in a zoom. Before the Spit pilot knew what had happened, I was high above him, the Thunderbolt hammering around. And that was it-for in the next few moments the Spitfire flier was amazed to see a less maneuverable, slower-climbing Thunderbolt rushing straight at him, eight guns pointed ominously at his cockpit."

This would be interesting to simulate considering we will have both planes in game.

I've always liked that passage. I've never quite understood the whole rolling thing though. I'm guessing he must have been barrel rolling so as to remove a gun solution while he sped away. That's the only way that rolling seems to make sense to me as a defensive move. Am I right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've always liked that passage. I've never quite understood the whole rolling thing though. I'm guessing he must have been barrel rolling so as to remove a gun solution while he sped away. That's the only way that rolling seems to make sense to me as a defensive move. Am I right?

Sounds more like a flat (or rolling) scissors using the P-47s roll rate advantage to prevent the Spit from saddling up. Since it was a game/exercise the "winner" would need to have a solid tracking shot. In a real engagement the Spit could potentially land some snap shots as the P-47 counter rolled and crossed his nose.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Scissors

Sounds more like a flat (or rolling) scissors using the P-47s roll rate advantage to prevent the Spit from saddling up. Since it was a game/exercise the "winner" would need to have a solid tracking shot. In a real engagement the Spit could potentially land some snap shots as the P-47 counter rolled and crossed his nose.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Scissors

But then he talks about rolling 2 times to the spits 1 which seems less like siscors unless it's more about faking out the spit to prevent him from knowing when he's switching directions

Sounds to me like a flat scissors, rolling left and then rolling right. And I'd guess the "rolling two times to the spit's one" is where he rolls left and the spit tries to follow, but before the spit has managed to roll left enough to start turning he's already rolled back right and is coming the other way. This would leave the spit basically flying a straight path and just rolling around its axis, while the P-47 is zig-zagging side to side.

I would try to avoid a "flat" scissors. Instead of rolling 90 degrees and pulling right... Then rolling 180 degrees and pulling left I'd mix it up and swing below the horizon.... That way the Spitfire couldn't get a few "pot shots" off at you as he changes direction...swing a few degrees below the horizon also puts you in a steeper and steeper dive each time... Which lets you gain speed and extend.... Gotta use all the planes of the axis.

Oh agree completely, better to be unpredictable. It's simply 'flat' in the sense that it is based on rolling for a bit, then pulling for a bit, then rolling again and so on. As opposed to a rolling scissors which is more of a continuous roll and pull at the same time (barrel roll).

You can also use the vertical in a flat scissors to deliberately keep your pursuer from getting a shot. Roll to the left and they follow then when you roll to the right roll lower. That way when you cross again you are offset laterally (i.e. you are too far left/right for them to make a shot). Planes don't yaw very well so they'll have an almost impossible job correcting for a shot.

Edited by Tomsk

Yes although one of the things I really like about planes with good high-speed handling is that providing you have a bit of altitude, there's not much a pursuer can do to prevent you making it into a high-speed rolling contest.

I really hope DCS can model the P-47's diving and zoom climbing abilities.... It's going to be crucial for P-47 ops. I hate playing other sims/games and finding that a FW-190 or BF-109 can stay on my tail while I dive full throttle.

I really hope DCS can model the P-47's diving and zoom climbing abilities.... It's going to be crucial for P-47 ops. I hate playing other sims/games and finding that a FW-190 or BF-109 can stay on my tail while I dive full throttle.

Probably because in real life they could. At lower altitudes the FW had the advantage in acceleration speed and roll.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Know and use all the capabilities in your airplane. If you don't, sooner or later, some guy who does use them all will kick your ass.

— Dave 'Preacher' Pace, USN.