Holy Crap how do I fly?

Ace_McMannis

I can't get the chopper moving forward. I've been looking at Cold Startup Tutorials on youtube, but even when I load a mission where it's already started I can get in the air but it won't go forward.

I use my X52 stick throttle and it won't go. I'm also using the common X52 profile in my Saitek Profile Manage. I'm expecting helo controls like Battlefield or Arma. Am I wrong? What do I need to do? Thanks in response. :joystick:

Did you do/check X52 settings in Options/Controls?

By the way, don't expect controls "like" Battlefield or Arma. It's really different than them.

Intel i7-14700@5.6GHz | MSI RTX4080 Super SuprimX | Corsair V. 32GB@6400MHz. | Samsung 1TB 990 PRO SSD (Win10Homex64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5 & M.Quest3 VR
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

I'm expecting helo controls like Battlefield or Arma. Am I wrong?

Yes. :o)

What do I need to do? Thanks in response. :joystick:

Check your axis mapping under Options->Controls (make sure, you select the correct Layer, usually "Ka-50 Sim"). Select "Axis Commands" category, make sure your X and Y axis (and only those!) of your joystick are mapped to "Roll" and "Pitch".

Try watching through the takeoff training demo - it is explained there. The manual (in the case of the UH-1H) is also a good place to start. Essentially you gently increase throttle, while compensating for the tail rotating moment and, once airborn, gently lower the nose to gain forward momentum, still compensating for the tail rotor - I do that by watching the slip indicator. I haven't played Arma, but helo controls in Battlefield are way tоo simplified. Mybe you should consider trying the Game mode, instead of Sim mode if it is too complicated?

AMD Ryzen 3600, Biostar Racing B850GT3, AMD Rx 580 8Gb, 16384 DDR4 2900, Hitachi 7K3000 2Tb, Samsung SM961 256Gb SSD, Thrustmaster T.Flight HOTAS X, Samsung S24F350 24'

By the way, don't expect controls "like" Battlefield or Arma. It's really different than them.

Not that different. The basics of helicopter flight can be grasped through games such as Battlefield and Arma, and easily transferred to a sim such as BS.

I know helicopter flight models in games like BF are "arcadey" at best, Arma tries a little harder in my opinion, but I don't understand this common attitude that these are "nothing like" what you find in BS.

To answer the OP, as others have mentioned, check your axis assignments, as pushing forward on your stick should initiate forward movement.

Windows 10 Home, Intel Core i7-9700K @ 4.6GHz, Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (8GB VRAM) on 34" LG curved monitor @ 3440x1440, 32GB RAM, TrackIR 3 (with Vector Expansion), Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Combat Pedals, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs.

Well, they get the basics right but they don't implement engine/rotor stresses, torque, ground effect, translational lift, vortex ring state etc.

It's like the difference between ridge racer and iRacing. Sure, if you turn the wheel left the car goes left but the physics that make it happen are vastly different.

I can't get the chopper moving forward. I've been looking at Cold Startup Tutorials on youtube, but even when I load a mission where it's already started I can get in the air but it won't go forward

Release the brakes - press 'w' once.

:pilotfly:i7 7700K, GTX1660, 32 Gig-o-ram, Win 7.

I can't get the chopper moving forward. I've been looking at Cold Startup Tutorials on youtube, but even when I load a mission where it's already started I can get in the air but it won't go forward.

Those are some mighty fine wheel brakes if they work several hundred feet up ;)

• Like 1

Per Ardua Ad Aquarium :drink:

Specs: Intel i7-9700K, GTX 2080TI, 32GB DDR4, ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E, Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2

I also understand it's a parking brake issue.

I'm expecting helo controls like Battlefield or Arma. Am I wrong? What do I need to do? Thanks in response. :joystick:

Ouch! You are in for a nasty surprise... :D But you could try Game Mode.... aka arcade...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

Parking your aircraft in mid flight ... bad idea! :o)

Depends on the Aircraft and situation :P

To the OP: Welcome to the wonderful world of in-Depth helicopter simulation. It's brutal in comparison to ARMA, but the feeling you'll get if you put in the time and effort to learn to fly the bird properly is Beyond comparison.

Regards

Fjordmonkey

Clustermunitions is just another way of saying that you don't like someone.

I used to like people, then people ruined that for me.

On that note, I've found that my DCS helo experience helps me fly on instruments in Arma, and my Arma helo experience makes me better at seat-of-the-pants flying in DCS.

How to fly seat-of-the-pants in DCS? My chair is not moving at all... :huh:

Check out my YouTube: xxJohnxx

Intel i7 6800k watercooled | ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 | 32 GB RAM | Asus GTX1080 watercooled

[...] I can get in the air but it won't go forward.

As has been suggested, I also think it's a problem with your Controller setup.

As far as going forward is concerned, the "Cyclic" or "Cyclic control stick" controls the helicotper's pitch, which in turn makes it go forward or backwards, so you should double check that your joystick's Y-axis is bound to "Flight Control Cyclic Pitch" in the game's controls options.

Also, be sure to watch the training videos that were originally shipped with the sim.

(They're no longer available from within DCS unless you explicitly install them, but it's usually easier to just watch them on YouTube :thumbup:)

Essentially you gently increase throttle, while compensating for the tail rotating moment and, once airborn, gently lower the nose to gain forward momentum, still compensating for the tail rotor [...]

I don't mean to discourage you from helping fellow pilots, but the Ka-50 doesn't even have a tail rotor. :D

While what you say is perfectly true for the UH-1H, it doesn't help much when it comes to the Black Shark, which requires very little rudder input during take-off, given that the Co-Axial rotors pretty much cancel out each others torque.

Please reread the post.. He said he is IN THE AIR... And can't move forward

That "AND" is not in original message... maybe I am too into "logic gates" mood :D

Do you often use your parking brakes in flight?

Some years ago when I started flying Ka-50 it was the norm. Took me more a lot of time to discover that lever was in BRAKES ON position. :megalol:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least