Panels hard to read!

Sunshadow

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't take long.. F14 Clean Label Cockpits

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3303911/

The same chap has also reduced the internal and external textures by half - 4k textures not much use in VR.

FYI devs in general, these are the kinds of things you do (as a separate option on the 'Special' tab) to make an aircraft 'VR Friendly'.

Edited by VampireNZ

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It has nothing to do with rendering and everything to do with textures. This could easily improved by adding a "VR friendly" cockpit.

Sure there's work involved, but it's a cosmetic, not a coding issue.

I would have to disagree with you there, it isn't that simple. We are limited by VR technology, not textures.

For reference, go play FSX/P3D in VR. Good Lord...it's horrid.

I think a lot of folks saying DCS/DCS Modules need to be optimized for VR have probably not seen a non-VR optimized flight sim. It is truly.....bad.

Ark

------------------

Windows 10 Pro x64

9900K @ 5ghz

Gigabyte Aorus Master Z390

32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB CAS 14

EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Ultra XC2

256gb Samsung 869 Pro (Boot Drive)

1TB - Samsung 970 EVO Plus

Seasoninc 1000w Titanium Ultra PSU

34" ASUS PG348

Definitely looks better. This is what I meant by just making the label text clearer or different font. I wonder, since I'm not home now if the person did this for all instruments/switches or just the left panel?

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Definitely looks better. This is what I meant by just making the label text clearer or different font. I wonder, since I'm not home now if the person did this for all instruments/switches or just the left panel?

All panels of front and rear pit. He has also reduced the internal and external texture size by 50% as well in separate files. The internal one includes the labels too. I guess he just used the 'worst' panel as an example.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The same chap has also reduced the internal and external textures by half - 4k textures not much use in VR.

FYI devs in general, this is the kind of thing you do to make an aircraft 'VR Friendly'.

This is good. I am heading over to download and see. It has been frustrating so far.

The screenshot of the clean cockpit is absolutely looking good and readable. More like it

Edited by Eaglewings

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

All panels of front and rear pit. He has also reduced the internal and external texture size by 50% as well in separate files. The internal one includes the labels too. I guess he just used the 'worst' panel as an example.
That's great news. I didn't see any instructions as to where these go. I can't wait to get home and try these out tonight. This way I can bring my gamma back down to 1.7 like before.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

That's great news. I didn't see any instructions as to where these go. I can't wait to get home and try these out tonight. This way I can bring my gamma back down to 1.7 like before.

I personally use OvGME Mod Manager to manage all my mods - really quick and easy and you can disable them all, update, then enable them again quickly.

But I see the creator has the correct file structure in the .zip file so just unzip to your main ED directory and overwrite if you don't use a mod manager (which I highly recommend!)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I personally use OvGME Mod Manager to manage all my mods - really quick and easy and you can disable them all, update, then enable them again quickly.

But I see the creator has the correct file structure in the .zip file so just unzip to your main ED directory and overwrite if you don't use a mod manager (which I highly recommend!)

Ah ok yeah I had JGSE or whatever it was installed before I got a new hard drive. I'll probably just use the mod manager since these may get reverted on updates.

FYI devs in general, these are the kinds of things you do (as a separate option on the 'Special' tab) to make an aircraft 'VR Friendly'.

There are still 80+% non VR users without interest in reduced textures :music_whistling:

Nice addon but no need to punish everybody for not using Vive&Co

i9 9900K @ 5,0GHz | 1080GTX | 32GB RAM | 256GB, 512GB & 1TB Samsung SSDs | TIR5 w/ Track Clip | Virpil T-50 Stick with extension + Warthog Throttle | MFG Crosswind pedals | Gametrix 908 Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There are still 80+% non VR users without interest in reduced textures :music_whistling:

Ummm - then don't download the mod lol.:music_whistling:

As I said - adding 'options' like this to the Special tab in the options menu goes a long way to making a mod VR friendly. Please tell me how this is 'punishing' anyone?? I never said it shouldn't have 4k textures?

Took this guy what a few days to get all these out - surely this could have been done in the years this module has been in development, if it had been considered. Just saying.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

He could probably make another version will full resolution textures for non VR. Just change the font of the labels. To me it's no problem that the switches and cockpit textures are too weathered it's just the labels that look bad when also weathered as the textures.

He could probably make another version will full resolution textures for non VR. Just change the font of the labels. To me it's no problem that the switches and cockpit textures are too weathered it's just the labels that look bad when also weathered as the textures.

Edit: Actually I probably wasn't clear, there is a separate mod for better cockpit textures, a mod for smaller external textures, and a mod for smaller internal textures that includes the fonts (which you could just delete). Every option you want is there.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sure but wasn't you guys all crying to release it now, as it is?

Being suprised that it is an EA product that needs still some months of polishing should not come as a suprise. I know some of you can't fly without these headsets anymore :lol: but believe me there is still a world outside and it was no showstopper at all

i9 9900K @ 5,0GHz | 1080GTX | 32GB RAM | 256GB, 512GB & 1TB Samsung SSDs | TIR5 w/ Track Clip | Virpil T-50 Stick with extension + Warthog Throttle | MFG Crosswind pedals | Gametrix 908 Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Just installed.

It is a copy and paste process. But ensure you backup the original Texture file for the F-14 as I am yet to full test all the instruments.

Definitely look way better. The instruments labels are readable.

This mod was only applied to the left console as far I can tell.

However, I am seeing a blue taint on the left console wall as against the gray color on the right console wall.

Still exploring.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

Edit: Actually I probably wasn't clear, there is a separate mod for better cockpit textures, a mod for smaller external textures, and a mod for smaller internal textures that includes the fonts (which you could just delete). Every option you want is there.
Yeah filtering all the mods on the site will show his other mods. There is reduced cockpit textures mod as well as internal/external too.

Looks like the clean cockpit mod only applied the labels to the left console as it was mentioned above.

Interesting, considering the Test panel is on the RH console. Haven't had a chance to load up the pit to check them out yet.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Interesting, considering the Test panel is on the RH console.
My bad. It was the right console I meant to refer to in my earlier message.

The mod was applied to the right console please.

I set my gamma back to 1.9 and applied shadow and it look really good. You can comfortably read the instruments labels on the right console.

This guy did good. Much appreciation to the author.

I'm trying to get a Steam refund because of this issue, among other things. It's simply not worth the price.

Jeez dude really? It's been out for like 4 days. It's a very early release that's not even complete. Of course it's going to have problems which will get fixed.

Not a big deal though... Steam won't refund you, so you're shit out luck. Lmal

Threre's not a crew chief in the Navy that would tolerate this level of wear. This looks like something left at the bone yard for twenty years.

The cockpit and lack of bindings are keeping me out of it for now; sticking to the -18 (which isn't as bad) and the F-5, which is awful for different reasons. Might start flying some WWII aircraft, which are older and in much better shape.

Threre's not a crew chief in the Navy that would tolerate this level of wear. This looks like something left at the bone yard for twenty years.

The cockpit and lack of bindings are keeping me out of it for now; sticking to the -18 (which isn't as bad) and the F-5, which is awful for different reasons. Might start flying some WWII aircraft, which are older and in much better shape.

Air force must be different than army then. You should have seen our humvees lol

My bad. It was the right console I meant to refer to in my earlier message.

The mod was applied to the right console please.

I set my gamma back to 1.9 and applied shadow and it look really good. You can comfortably read the instruments labels on the right console.

This guy did good. Much appreciation to the author.

Just tested now - I can assure you all panels have been done. Much easier to read all labels in VR now!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I just attempted to make the mod selctable as a custom cockpit, but the F-14 doesn't have the "Customized Cockpit" dropdown.

What the hell?

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

Now if someone could just add wee indicators to the twisty knobs for the radio (7,8,9) so I know what the hell option I've got selected...

arc-182.png

Exactly, if the jet was that bad IRL somebody would have at least gone in there with some Tipex and marked the knobs so somebody had some idea what was going on.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.