VR Shaders mod for better VR experience

same outcome over here

;4218867']I see no more edge cropping with the new 2.5.6 ICpass, which is bad.

Hence the mod seems inactive. I updated the same way like the weeks before when it worked, incl. disable and remove mod, repair dcs via console, delete the mentioned files in saved games and main. Anyone with the same outcome?

Well, one can not uninstall the re-compiled files in dcs.lua folder. Must this step be repeated after latest update?

There is no dcs.lua folder. If you are referring to your renamed DCS folder in the terrain metacache folders, then yes, you do have to repeat the step.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I was slightly frustrated with poor performance when playing in VR with the new deferred rendering engine, so I had a look what would be possible to remove/simplify from the shaders to improve the framerate without too huge sacrifices in image quality. Focusing on anything that has a potentially high memory bandwidth cost (which is usually a big problem with deferred renderers + high resolutions) I was able to do some seemingly decent "optimizations".

- - - - - - - -

* This optimization does not work with planes which do not use the glass shader for the canopy glass. For example the A10C and Hawk. It works at least with the Hornet, Harrier and Viggen.

** If you see an area around your peripheral vision rendered incorrectly open Bazar\shaders\deferred\_HMD.hlsl and increase the MASKSIZE value. The default is optimized for HTC Vive.

*** You can also adjust MSAA_MASKSIZE value from above file, which is the size of the area onto which MSAA is applied when it is enabled. Default is a very small area in the middle of the view.

Some of these are quite visible changes like removal of bloom, simplification of the canopy shader and shadows, and likely many features like DOF or SSAO no longer work.

The performance gain however is pretty good, it can be up to 50% or more in conditions where the GPU is the limiting factor.

This version also includes fixes for the NVG effect, ie. making the scope smaller so you can look under it (see settings in _HMD.hlsl). Some of the optimizations can also be turned off from _HMD.hlsl now.

- - - -

ummm, I don't have a _HMD.hlsl file in the prescribed folder!?!

Rift CV1

2020-02-21.thumb.png.c8b7495b8984dd9aeb406108dcdabbb8.png

Edited by cdrkrotchetyusn
abridge quote; forgot screenshot

ummm, I don't have a _HMD.hlsl file in the prescribed folder!?!

Rift CV1

It's part of the mod! After you install it, you'll see it.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Does this mod work with IC with the mod up to date version of OB?

System Specs: i7 8700k @ 5.0GHz (not delidded), ASRock Extreme4 Z370 MOBO, EVGA GTX 1080 SC 8GB, 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz DDR4 RAM, Samsung Evo 240GB SSD, Samsung Evo 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Noctura NH-D15S Heat Sink, Acer VE278H 27" 1080p Monitor, Ocukus Rift CV1.

Controllers: TrackIR 5, Thrustmaster HOTAS X, Saitek Throttle Quadrant (with DIY removable collective mod), Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals.

Just trying to keep my number of takeoffs and landings equal!

Kegety, can you make a IC-pass version?

Like the iteration linked to in the description here:

(Which is good, I just don’t know if I dare use it now with 2.5.6.

Burnhard

Periferals - HP Reverb - Viper/Warthog grip on VPC WarBRD base - Virpil Mogoos T-50 Throttle - MFG Crosswind rudders - Gametrix KW 908 // HW - 7700k@4.8 - 32GB@3200 - RTX2080TI // DCS Favourites - AJS37 - SA342 - F-16C :thumbup:

if you apply the mod with OvGME or JGSME it costs you only the time to rename the misc files in terrain and delet fxo and metashaders2 (p.s. make a script for this and to restore them), i would tell you but im doing some testing with it switched off at the moment

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

This did nothing for my FPS on the latest update (20. feb 2020.)

(Yes I followed the instructions.)

PS: Wayan, i got the same. But then when i chose a different slot it was there all of a sudden.

Burnhard

Periferals - HP Reverb - Viper/Warthog grip on VPC WarBRD base - Virpil Mogoos T-50 Throttle - MFG Crosswind rudders - Gametrix KW 908 // HW - 7700k@4.8 - 32GB@3200 - RTX2080TI // DCS Favourites - AJS37 - SA342 - F-16C :thumbup:

Strange... I have the same problem with fps. Mask is there so mod works.

Wysłane z mojego SM-G960F przy użyciu Tapatalka

PC: i7 13700k, 64GB RAM 3200MHz DDR4, RTX 4090, VR: Quest 3.

VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip, VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, crosswinds rudder pedals, VPC panel CP3, WinWing PTO2

Valve Index mask size

After painstaking testing (shadows recompile everytime mask size is changed), I've determined mask size which works for me and doesn't produce artifacts on the edges on my peripherial vision. So:

Valve Index mask size: 0.573

Testing methodology: I set up a hornet on a dark spot of Batumi airfield at night. I turned the instrument lights and floodlight to max, and then reset my VR view so I was on eye level with the MPCD. Switched the MPCD to "night" setting and removed the stick from view using backspace. Then I moved my head back and forth while looking dead center on the MPCD. If I noticed edges lighting up I would stop and turn my head to look there to see if these are legitimate pixels or the mask is showing. In this setting it is very easy to notice "illegal" bright pixels on the edge of view.

For reference, Index was on "maximal fov" eye relief setting so as close to my eyes as possible. I also noticed a weird thing with VR headsets - if you look straight, your peripherial vision is larger - you see things that hide from your view if you turn your eyes to see them. Weird feeling.

PS: I'm not using open beta, I'm on 2.5.5.

PS PS: Kegetys can you put the Index value in the comments in HLSL file?

Edited by StarLightPL
grammar

Thanks a lot for your efforts on this mod Kegetys. Latest version seems to work great with 2.5.6. Combined with the nvidia control panel settings, I can run the DCS VR preset with 120% supersampling and have plenty of headroom left. Enough that I might bump up a setting or two. My test was done flying the Ka-50 instant action free flight which starts you flying towards Sukhumi city.

Also, from my short play test, couldn't notice any drop in graphics quality. ED desperately need some optimisations like these built-in for VR users. This mod is the difference for me between playable and not-playable.

Edited by martinistripes

Valve Index | RTX 3070 Ti (Mobile) | i7-12700H @ 2.7GHz | 16GB RAM

Also, from my short play test, couldn't notice any drop in graphics quality. ED desperately need some optimisations like these built-in for VR users. This mod is the difference for me between playable and not-playable.

With all due respect, I don't think you have looked very hard.

Sorry to post again, but here is a perfect example of the visual degradations from this mod https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4215542&postcount=44

There are many compromises for very little gain, IMO.

With all due respect, I don't think you have looked very hard.

My water has never looked like that in VR; with or without the mod. I don't have Persian Gulf map.

Put it this way. If I don't use the mod, I'm forced to scrape through on low/off settings. With the mod I can run low/medium with headroom. Perhaps with a 2080ti and a map built on newer technology I would see the difference, but in the Caucasus I honestly see no degradation. Perhaps the mod is more useful those that are on the threshold of having something playable, rather than those with a powerful system.

Post a comparison of Caucasus with nothing set above medium.

Edited by martinistripes

Valve Index | RTX 3070 Ti (Mobile) | i7-12700H @ 2.7GHz | 16GB RAM

My water has never looked like that in VR; with or without the mod. I don't have Persian Gulf map.

Put it this way. If I don't use the mod, I'm forced to scrape through on low/off settings. With the mod I can run low/medium with headroom. Perhaps with a 2080ti and a map built on newer technology I would see the difference, but in the Caucasus I honestly see no degradation. Perhaps the mod is more useful those that are on the threshold of having something playable, rather than those with a powerful system.

Post a comparison of Caucasus with nothing set above medium.

The bottom line here is that you don't get something for nothing in life, and that applies to this mod.

There are loads of visual degradations in order to achieve some fps benefit. From what I've seen over the last year or so, it is mainly users with medium/lower end specs that seem to benefit.

I'm very happy that some people see a benefit, but let's not kid oursleves that there is not a price to pay.