VR Shaders mod for better VR experience

dcs root

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

I have the ring and everything set. But the outer ring/mask isnt blacked out. It is like a distorted image... Not sure whats causing that.

That's normal, some shaders are interrupted if pixel not in mask zone.

P8700K @4.8 GHz, 3080ti, 32 GB RAM, HP reverb Pro.

I spend my time making 3dmigoto VR mods for BoS and DCS instead of flying, see https://www.patreon.com/lefuneste

That's normal, some shaders are interrupted if pixel not in mask zone.

Gotcha! Thanks.

FYI, This is what I am seeing.

1539710796_Annotation2020-03-14164642.thumb.jpg.7ffb95d7f70b4e4c6bb3f2382e7355c3.jpg

Intel i7 9700k, 64GB DDR4 (Corsair), Gigabyte Z390 Master, RTX 2080 Ti AMP 11gb, 500GB Sabrent Rocket (System), 1TB XPG Gammix S11 Pro M.2 (DCS), Windows 11 64-bit Pro, Samsung 49" 4K CRG9 Monitor (5120x1440), Samsung Odyssey Plus, TrackIR 5, Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas, Various streamdecks, button boxes, Logitech Pro Rudder Pedals, Corsair K95 Platinum, Iron Claw mouse.

DCS OB, F-14B Tomcat, F-18C Hornet, F-16C Viper, A-10C Warthog, F-5 Tiger II, AV-8B Harrier, P-51D Mustang, FC3, Super Carrier

Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas, (3) Cougar MFD's, Logitech Pro Rudder Pedals, (2) Stream Decks, (1) Stream Deck XL, (1) Stream Deck Mini, Misc Button Boxes

I just can't seem to get rid of that last edge in my peripheral view.

Tried masksizes from 0.600 to 0.800 (deleted fxo and metashaders each time) but I just don't see any difference.

Could this be caused by the fact that I placed the shaders mod into the Saved games/Mod folder instead of the Game/mod folder

I used OvGME to install it and placed the shaders mod here (as that's where I have OvGME look for mods):

C:\Users\###\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Mods\DCS VR Shaders 2.5.6 (ICpass)

It does seem to work, as in, I do see the cut away edges and I did see a very slight fps increase. Could it be that the _HMD.hlsl file is just not working from this location?

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

I just can't seem to get rid of that last edge in my peripheral view.

Tried masksizes from 0.600 to 0.800 (deleted fxo and metashaders each time) but I just don't see any difference.

Could this be caused by the fact that I placed the shaders mod into the Saved games/Mod folder instead of the Game/mod folder

I used OvGME to install it and placed the shaders mod here (as that's where I have OvGME look for mods):

C:\Users\###\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Mods\DCS VR Shaders 2.5.6 (ICpass)

It does seem to work, as in, I do see the cut away edges and I did see a very slight fps increase. Could it be that the _HMD.hlsl file is just not working from this location?

I think it has to be root folder. I initially tried the saved games folder and it didn’t work

I think it has to be root folder. I initially tried the saved games folder and it didn’t work

Do you mean the _HMD.hlsl file? Or the entire shader mod folder?

Should I place the _HMD.hsl in my C:\Games\DCS World OpenBeta (is that what you mean by root folder?)

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

how do I adjust that? nvm, think I found it.

Sorry, I meant it depends on your actual, physical IPD (i.e. the actual distance between your pupils). Lower IPD results in a larger FOV in the same headset, so the mask size has to be bigger to compensate.

i7 6700k @ 4.6, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, 32GB DDR4 2666, GTX 1070, Rift S | MS Sidewinder FFB2 w/ TM F-22 Pro Grip, TM TWCS Throttle, VKB T-Rudder Mk. IV

I just tried this thing for the first time due to the massive performance decrease as of 256 and actually I got expectable performance (literally 45 flat everywhere, just as in 255 without the mod). But at some cost. All flyable assets are completely cloaked and I can't even see the 'pit.

Did everything that I read in the readme. Cleared metashaders2 and fxo, moved the Mods\terrains\xyz\misc\metacache\dcs out of the way and made use of JSGME to put the bazzar folder in the DCSWOB main folder structure without having to care about backing up things myself.

Running the latest ver, 44266.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

@eldur, I know I have seen that impact for some users, it's not something I have personally seen, I use ovgme to apply the mod, but that shouldn't make any difference. I did do a clean install of 2.5.6. And at the moment this is the only other mod that is running...

Also are you using the full mod or the pass ic one, I'm using the full mod

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Is there any way to find out if this awesome shader mod will be updated to help the current 2.5.6.44266 version of DCS to run any better?

I ask as if this is the end of this shader mod then I am planning to revert my DCS install back to the former 2.5.5.41962 where I was able to have terrain shadows enabled, whereas in the latest crappy 2.5.6 update, it runs so stuttery I had to disable all terrain shadows to smooth things out.

Thank you

I tried this one:

But I've gotten the IC compatible one also and might give it a try as well.

And I still wonder how it's being done to make things pass the IC...

Yep, I have this installed with the latest 2.5.6.44266 update, and it is several steps backwards as usual as far as performance.

I had to disable terrain shadows entirely just to get close to the smooth performance I once had with terrain shadows in the 2.5.5.41962 + shadrermod of 2.5.6.43503

Runs well now, just without ground shadows..

So, if I heard ANY news of this awesome shader mod being updated to make the current DCS 2.5.6.44266 run better then I would not spend the weekend reverting my DCS version back down to the older and much smoother running 2.5.5.41962

Does anyone know when the next shader mod update is possibly being released or if it is being worked on to improve the current dysfunctional 2.5.6.44266 update?☺

I took up the mask from .600 to .700 and the ring finally went away. Thanks for the assist!

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

If this helps anyone here's my happy ending and the route to it:

Like most of us my updating to the 2.5.6.44266 killed my performance in VR, and I saw zero graphical improvements. Once Again ED's update seems to be for Youtube-Sales promotions as opposed to bothering improving any form of performance... Just to run I had to disable shadows. And it really sucked. I enjoyed a smoother gameplay but no shadows killed it for me rather quickly... To go from shadows to no shadows was almost the equivalent of going from VR back to flatscreen... Eeeeesh!

So here's how I fixed things to run better☺.

Seeing as the DCS Management Reddit article recently showed for everyone that Ed is indeed officially long-terming any form of literal DCS World Optimization such as Vulkan [Long-Term =18 months according to their comments after the article], and thereby instead focusing approx 91% of their staffs efforts into Payware [per their published chart in said article]; forcing me to close my wallet to ED for the forseeable same long-term...☺ -Well, I took it upon myself to once again make up for ED's total lack of care about performance in DCS.

So what to do?

Using DCSUPDATERUtility I actually ROLLED BACK my crappy 2.5.6.44266 all the way back to 2.5.5.41962

This plus this AWESOME Shader MOD is a reall WINNER!

Now to this I added the incredible HotPlugDisable autoexe

This really helps eliminate a great many stutters. Something Ed could have done for us all ANYTIME in the last 5 years....

This is my way of transition into my thanks to this communities modders.☺ I am soooo grateful to the modders in this community for making up for ED's total lack of effort in the areas of performance issues.

Next:

And then I added the GameDVR_Disable.regedit [[both of these can be found on Youtube with how to's in the video ]]

And the End Result is that I am back in action! With Terran Shaders back on as well, on Flat works best for me. Looks and run soooo much better in VR.

As always I am on the lookout for other mods or tweaks. Like most DCS pilots I spend as much or more time looking for performance helps then I spend in the cockpit, but with things like this INCREDIBLE Shaders Mod for VR.... It really makes up for a lot of wasted nights searching through forums, watching DCS-Fix Youtube etc...☺

Dunno if this will help anyone, but it means a lot to my sim. Rolling back need not be scary. I thought it would fail but it was pretty automated with the stated program doing about 100% of the work for me.

IF like most simmers/gamers you don't have $9K invested in your PC rig then you can still fly DCS rather well IF you invest gobs of time into getting these programs and related helps, and learning how to do them. And who knows, maybe in 18 to 36 months maybe even ED might wake up and jump on the performance and optimization train with the rest of us pilots☺! Anything is possible, and these are the days of high adventure☺!

Yep, I have this installed with the latest 2.5.6.44266 update, and it is several steps backwards as usual as far as performance.

I had to disable terrain shadows entirely just to get close to the smooth performance I once had with terrain shadows in the 2.5.5.41962 + shadrermod of 2.5.6.43503

Runs well now, just without ground shadows..

So, if I heard ANY news of this awesome shader mod being updated to make the current DCS 2.5.6.44266 run better then I would not spend the weekend reverting my DCS version back down to the older and much smoother running 2.5.5.41962

Does anyone know when the next shader mod update is possibly being released or if it is being worked on to improve the current dysfunctional 2.5.6.44266 update?☺

Download for DCS World 2.5.6.43503: http://junk.kegetys.fi/DCS%20VR%20Shaders%20performance%20mod%20for%202.5.6.43503.zip (latest)

Works on 4426 as well...

Edited by speed-of-heat
URL updated

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

Download for DCS World 2.5.6.43503: http://junk.kegetys.fi/DCS%20VR%20Sh....5.6.43503.zip (latest)

Works on 4426 as well...

Rats, above link returns a 404 error

That's Ok, I thank you for your answer.

My posted revert of my install last night back down to 2.5.5.41962 is a good enough solution for me for right now. Took a few hours to make happen, and I flew for 30 minutes after. Typical.

I feel that if it was not for the MOD community DCS would simply not be playable for most. If anything ever made my DCS preform better this entire last decade then it came from the mod community. I am very grateful to all you modders☺!

With ED finally posting clearly now [[Reddit article]] that they are dedicated to payware only [[per their chart]] for the foreseeable future [next 18 months] and not optimizing or upgrading the ancient DCS code for modern multi-core PC's, the only hope for performance help is the MOD community. Mods like this shader mod. One of the best I have seen all decade☺!

Regardless, once the 'pro' aircraft I purchased from ED last year, and the year prior, are finally no longer barely flyable as 'early-release', and actually flyable like most Mod aircraft provided freely by the community, and once ED actually releases some real optimization patches, then i may reconsider spending money in Ed once again. Not now though.

As ED said, that'll be about 18 to 36 months from now. If even by then. And if they fold by then due to maintaining their focus on overpriced and unfinished payware instead of performance and optimization then by then perhaps all this will have been made public domain. Then my friends the modders will have picked it up, fixed it up all proper like and made DCS would it should have been 7 years ago☺!

This current re-re-re-reinstall will scratch what itch is left for me after all these years of optimization-Stagnation☺. Looking forward to brighter days for DCS, however they come along.☺

Looking forward to the next great VR-Shader mod too☺!

if you go to the first post it downloads form there, not sure why it doesn't from my link! ah because my link was nonsense

Edited by speed-of-heat

if you go to the first post it downloads form there, not sure why it doesn't from my link! ah because my link was nonsense

Yes, thank you, no worries.

I had gone there to page one, and I did try that very download you recommended. I appreciate it. What I posted later afterwards was how I tried it but the DCS 2.5.6 'upgrade' was just too awful on performance. So I wrote how I reverted back to the earlier 2.5.5.41962. Much better flying now☺!

I highly recommend reverting back to an earlier version of DCS to anyone as it is so much better as far as VR FPS. An earlier version -plus- this incredible VR Shader mod are a win-win.

Using the DCSUpdater Utility to rollback prior to 2.5.6 is key. and made it a snap. Well worth the fuss☺.

Well MODDING community, it is up to you to improve performance in DCS since ED has published they are focusing almost exclusively on payware for the next 18 months. I hope to see many mods like this shader mod come out. Really hoping for more.☺

I'd especially like to post that I would pay real-world money for a MOD that seriously improves DCS performance. In a heartbeat. I bet most pilots would too.☺ If I had the talent to untangle DCS code and make the thing run like modern sims do I would sure do it myself.

I just mean to be helpful with my experience, as I have heard everyone talking online I too have been burnt, and won't invest another nickle into any unfinished for years ED pre-orders any longer. But I would certainly pay for better performance☺. Especially if it helps me turn up some settings for once. Because all I have been doing with each official ED 'patch' is turning things down and or off entirely to make up for their increasing performance hits.

If anyone has a real performance mod that they recommend please do share with me. Every time I feel like I have tried everything then along comes a REAL Mod like this VR Shader Mod that is a true game-changer.☺

I really appreciate you all, and thank you to all you modders. You guys deserve red capes☺!

is it possible to make this pass integrety check? give server owners the option to allow certain mods?

search is your friend https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=dcs+shaders+mod+integrity+check&view=detail&mid=EB10FD11A81BBD929DDCEB10FD11A81BBD929DDC&FORM=VIRE

allo

I try to follow the video installing in Mods directorie but it never worked so I try manually installing directly in bazar directory, I then saw the "bubles" so it seems to work

then I stated a free flight A-10C mission then compil stop at "if I set directlut in bazard directory, compile jamm at "wait for pooled task-1"

any clue?

I try it many time. same resulte

using v: DCS VR Shaders 2.5.6.43503