Normandy Early Access Discussion

SkateZilla

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've done more testing of settings and interested in others views on the results.

I find with the deferred Shading that a lot of cockpit reflections off the meeting canopy rails, the gauges as well as the blacks being washed out (grey) is a little overdone. Also find the gunsight reticle difficult to see against the daylight sky (the sky is too bright).

Curious, have you tried in a WW2 plane?

I also noticed it looked a little washed out in some areas, in contrast the L-39 mirror is oversaturated.

I havent compared to other versions.

Theres a Bugs/Problems section up top, might help to start putting things like this in there.

https://forums.eagle.ru/forumdisplay.php?f=554

Thermaltake View 91, Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra, i9 9900K, Corsair H150i Pro, 32Gb Trident Z 3200, Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 2080ti, Corsair AX1200i, Warthog A-10 Hotas, MFG Crosswind pedals, TiR5 Pro, HP Reverb Pro

Curious, have you tried in a WW2 plane?

I also noticed it looked a little washed out in some areas, in contrast the L-39 mirror is oversaturated.

I havent compared to other versions.

Theres a Bugs/Problems section up top, might help to start putting things like this in there.

https://forums.eagle.ru/forumdisplay.php?f=554

Good idea - I'll add it to the bugs section.

But to answer the question - yes, have tried the P-51D and the effect is the same - IMHO it looks worse during the day (the cockpit) with the Deferred Shader setting on than it does without. I did also notice though that fps was higher when over large segments of trees when it was turned on.

Good idea - I'll add it to the bugs section.

But to answer the question - yes, have tried the P-51D and the effect is the same - IMHO it looks worse during the day (the cockpit) with the Deferred Shader setting on than it does without. I did also notice though that fps was higher when over large segments of trees when it was turned on.

Speak for yourself. I love the way it looks, and I've only seen it through videos. Besides it seems to improve visibility out of the cockpit. So please devs, don't touch the lighting just yet, pretty please :D

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Speak for yourself. I love the way it looks, and I've only seen it through videos. Besides it seems to improve visibility out of the cockpit. So please devs, don't touch the lighting just yet, pretty please :D

There are good aspects to it for sure - but let's see if what the wider group has to provide in feedback with different settings etc to validate if what I'm seeing is setup specific or a general graphics WIP issue.

Hopefully soon you'll get to try it out!

Im a noob with the mission editor but perhaps someone can clarify.

To get a rough (beautifully looking) sea state, or to whip it up a bit is this only possible by increasing the 'wind' in the mission editor?

A sea state setting/option would be great if it doesnt already exist.

Thermaltake View 91, Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra, i9 9900K, Corsair H150i Pro, 32Gb Trident Z 3200, Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 2080ti, Corsair AX1200i, Warthog A-10 Hotas, MFG Crosswind pedals, TiR5 Pro, HP Reverb Pro

Im a noob with the mission editor but perhaps someone can clarify.

To get a rough (beautifully looking) sea state, or to whip it up a bit is this only possible by increasing the 'wind' in the mission editor?

As per real-life, the condition of the waves is almost entirely correlated with wind speed, and distance across the water (fetch length).

Here is how it is calculated IRL:

http://www.skysailtraining.co.uk/images/waves.gif

I doubt DCS has modelled "fetch length" so just go with the wind-speeds.

Anything from 30 Knots windspeed should give you "gale" conditions, and good white-tops.

Above 50 Knots you are looking at a violent storm.

If DCS has modelled fetch-length, then waves will always be highest at the downwind end of a water body. So if the wind is from the east, waves will be highest at the western shore.

Does that help?

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/philstylenz

Storm of War WW2 server website: https://stormofwar.net/

Not really, my Huey doesnt fly well going backwards in a 40 knot gale :lol: j/k

Perhaps just a subtle tweek or so, to give a bit more texture to the glassy surface on less violent wind days?

I surfed for most of my life and you don't always require wind in an area to have a high sea state (white caps yes, but around 15knts) as big surf is generated thousands of km away in the open ocean from a severe weather system.

You can have a beautifully balmy day with crunching surf and not a breath of wind.

The model in DCS is localized condition, requiring the high wind setting.

Anyway was just a thought.

Edited by Vlerkies

Perhaps just a subtle tweek or so, to give a bit more texture to the glassy surface on less violent wind days?

I surfed for most of my life and you don't always require wind in an area to have a high sea state (white caps yes, but around 15knts) as big surf is generated thousands of km away in the open ocean from a sever weather system.

You can have a beautifully balmy day with crunching surf and not a breath of wind.

Very good points and great suggestion to maybe incorporate a slider function to adjust sea state. I live in near the water and you are right, the sea can have life even without local area wind present.

I surfed for most of my life and you don't always require wind in an area to have a high sea state (white caps yes, but around 15knts) as big surf is generated thousands of km away in the open ocean from a severe weather system.

Well, I guess that would depend on the kind of seashore you are in. English Channel is a quite particular area, like a funnel, and mostly not deep sea bottoms, definitely not a wide coast where big Ocean washes out. So I see wind-related waves quite adequate as waves only happen because of wind indeed. Anyway, beach kind waves where those are "stopped" by sea bottom so they break beautifully for your surfboard or camera shots are a different kettle of fish, but this is not supposed to be a beach simulator, is it? :D

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

Sure, 30 knots seems a bit high to just break a glassy surface to produce some whitecaps and chop though.

Its just a suggestion, for DCS in general, use it don't use it, all good.

S

Sure, 30 knots seems a bit high to just break a glassy surface to produce some whitecaps and chop though.

Its just a suggestion, for DCS in general, use it don't use it, all good.S

From this, IRL one shuold epxect whitecaps from about 20KTS.

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/faq/tornado/beaufort.html

Try setting 20 KTS in the mission builder, see what you get?

Then maybe set 30 KTS and see how different that is?

Incidentally, on June 5th '44, when the delayed convoys and landing craft finally set out the winds were still Force 5 (~20KTS) but settled down to Force 2-3 by the morning of the 6th.

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/philstylenz

Storm of War WW2 server website: https://stormofwar.net/

Yes please...someone turn up the wind and lets see those waves and whitecaps!

Video would be nice.

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

more of my quick and nasty un Spielberg like clips.

A quick look at Caen

• Like 1

more of my quick and nasty un Spielberg like clips.

A quick look at Caen

Really good looking :beer: :beer: :beer: .

So Caen is the biggest city in the detailed map area?

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

Really good looking :beer: :beer: :beer: .

So Caen is the biggest city in the detailed map area?

S!

Looks like Caen is the biggest, a good few other places to go though.

A bit more 'B' grade movie sight seeing. Sorry , I'm not good for much else. :thumbup:

Up the Seine to Rouen,

and Cherbourgh