Normandy Early Access Discussion

SkateZilla

Also with shadows, if I set shadows to high but flat for terrain, doesthat gve high resolution shadows in the cockpit but simple shadows on the ground?

Yes. Flat shadows use a different technique than "Default" so the settings are separate from each other

Hi guys, trying to get my settings dialed in with VR. Couple questions if I may...I really like the way the deferred lighting setting looks but I'm running into a problem where the horizon is blinding white. Also blinding white anytime looking near the sun. Anyone else getting this and any solution?

I dont really have this problem myself, only when looking at the sun directly does everything look completely white. Maybe share your settings, see if something is different from mine?

Twitch2DCS - Bring twitch chat into DCS.

SplashOneGaming.com - Splash One is a community built on combat flight simulation. S1G Discord

twitch / youtube / facebook / twitter / discord

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All textures high, water medium, shadows high, terrain shadows flat, AF-16, MSAA-8, heat blur low, deferred lighting on, visibility high

Is there a way to take a screenshot of my settings if I forgot any important ones?

Or even save a track? Those still don't work right on VR correct?

Thanks Jabbers

Win 10 Pro, Intel i9 9900k overclocked to 5.1 (water cooled), 64 gb Corsair Dominator platinum RAM (3444 MHz)

Titan RTX overclocked and water cooled

1.1 TB SSD 2 TB M.2 SSD

TM Warthog Stick and throttle

MFG Crosswinds

Reverb VR

Buttkicker LFE, SimShaker, Jetseat.

All DCS modules

Oh yea and cockpit illumination off

Win 10 Pro, Intel i9 9900k overclocked to 5.1 (water cooled), 64 gb Corsair Dominator platinum RAM (3444 MHz)

Titan RTX overclocked and water cooled

1.1 TB SSD 2 TB M.2 SSD

TM Warthog Stick and throttle

MFG Crosswinds

Reverb VR

Buttkicker LFE, SimShaker, Jetseat.

All DCS modules

I think the main reason that they look too long, is that they're sharp along the entire length. In real life the shadows would blur and look shorter.

magical-sunrise-through-ground-fog-with-long-shadows-and-sunbeams-picture-id535469354?k=6&m=535469354&s=612x612&w=0&h=8_Dg8Yp8MKItld4tKE6vbFteHhwhxJXB4wlnzB25zqw=

Wow, that looks great!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It looks awesome, I'm curious about the performance ( fps)

I9 12900k@ 5 GHz | 32 GB DDR4 | Asus ROG  Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi d4| RTX 3090 | 6 TB SSD + 8 TB HDD | 4K Samsung Q90R 55" | VKB MK III PRO L | Virpil Throttle MONGOOST-50 | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR5

Well the clouds are looking much better. Kind of dissapointed that the navigation lights are still not casting their light on the airframe or the wing. Was hoping that was implemented in the new lighting engine.

Can anyone please post a video of a flight at night, with a full moon? (So no overcast) Was wondering if it is possible to navigate and fly with just the moon's illumination. (Or rather whether it casts any light on the ground at all).

Edited by OnlyforDCS

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Wow, that looks great!

It should, God (of choice) does great work :smilewink:

It looks awesome, I'm curious about the performance ( fps)

fps is much the same as the other versions, some say better.

All depends on your machine and how you choose to run it I suppose, but no massive trauma.

If you currently can run the other versions of DCS this should not be a problem at all.

:thumbup:

Thermaltake View 91, Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra, i9 9900K, Corsair H150i Pro, 32Gb Trident Z 3200, Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 2080ti, Corsair AX1200i, Warthog A-10 Hotas, MFG Crosswind pedals, TiR5 Pro, HP Reverb Pro

Well the clouds are looking much better. Kind of dissapointed that the navigation lights are still not casting their light on the airframe or the wing. Was hoping that was implemented in the new lighting engine.

Can anyone please post a video of a flight at night, with a full moon? (So no overcast) Was wondering if it is possible to navigate and fly with just the moon's illumination. (Or rather whether it casts any light on the ground at all).

I don't think they spent any time on lighting in regards to the planes lighting IE: Nav, Gear, Cockpit. Hopefully they will make a pass at improving a few of those areas that could use improvement to bring them up to more realistic behaviors soon.

As for moon, only seen one screenshot and it was still pretty dark with a full moon. Not looking like it is as bright as one might expect. Maybe tweaked since Backer-Alpha access release of course.

• ED Team
I don't think they spent any time on lighting

Well to be honest I think it looks really good right now, and keeps getting better, but these new lighting options just hit the game, of course there is still going to be tweaking and of course other objects and texture might need to be adjusted to take advantage of those changes.

Phrasing it like you did makes it seem like what we have is final, and I just dont think that is the case. This is the double edge sword ED is faced with, do they give us this stuff early so we see where they are going and risk backlash if its not perfect out of the gates, or hold onto it till its more finalized and face the backlash of people complaining things are getting done becayse they dont see any changes....

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

I think the main reason that they look too long, is that they're sharp along the entire length. In real life the shadows would blur and look shorter.

magical-sunrise-through-ground-fog-with-long-shadows-and-sunbeams-picture-id535469354?k=6&m=535469354&s=612x612&w=0&h=8_Dg8Yp8MKItld4tKE6vbFteHhwhxJXB4wlnzB25zqw=

Just awesome!

Edited by NineLine
removed 1.1

Hardware: Intel i5 4670K | Zalman NPS9900MAX | GeIL 16GB @1333MHz | Asrock Z97 Pro4 | Sapphire Radeon R9 380X Nitro | Samsung SSDs 840 series 120GB & 250 GB | Samsung HD204UI 2TB | be quiet! Pure Power 530W | Aerocool RS-9 Devil Red | Samsung SyncMaster SA350 24" + ASUS VE198S 19" | Saitek X52 | TrackIR 5 | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Speedlink Darksky LED | Razor Diamondback | Razor X-Mat Control | SoundBlaster Tactic 3D Rage ### Software: Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Is that pic from the game actually? Can't really tell if it's real life or not... lol

Its a photo but some scenes in the sim look pretty darn alright as well I can tell you.

Thermaltake View 91, Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra, i9 9900K, Corsair H150i Pro, 32Gb Trident Z 3200, Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 2080ti, Corsair AX1200i, Warthog A-10 Hotas, MFG Crosswind pedals, TiR5 Pro, HP Reverb Pro

• ED Team
Its a photo but some scenes in the sim look pretty darn alright as well I can tell you.

Yeah, compared to that picture, really the sim just needs some tweaks on how the shadows blend. I know the long shadows do seem to stick out a little much.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Yeah, compared to that picture, really the sim just needs some tweaks on how the shadows blend. I know the long shadows do seem to stick out a little much.

I think it looks quite good, the shadows move nicely.

If I have the land shadows not set to flat I get some flickering, but that could be my setup or rig most likely.

Anyway, a run down to Saint-Lo.

Keep em coming. This vids are my lifeblood until release:D

+1! Thanks a lot for you efforts, Vlerkies :thumbup:

• Like 1

A warrior's mission is to foster the success of others.

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

RAT - On the Range - Rescue Helo - Recovery Tanker - Warehouse - Airboss

Well to be honest I think it looks really good right now, and keeps getting better, but these new lighting options just hit the game, of course there is still going to be tweaking and of course other objects and texture might need to be adjusted to take advantage of those changes.

Phrasing it like you did makes it seem like what we have is final, and I just dont think that is the case. This is the double edge sword ED is faced with, do they give us this stuff early so we see where they are going and risk backlash if its not perfect out of the gates, or hold onto it till its more finalized and face the backlash of people complaining things are getting done becayse they dont see any changes....

You kinda cherry picked my sentence there. The environmental lighting looks fantastic, all the play off the aircraft, terrain, shadows..etc all looks amazing. I was strictly referencing the behavior of actual lights, physical lights, on the aircrafts themselves. Heck, maybe since 3rd party and modules involved it is not even a sweeping fix/change ED could make on their own without the 3rd parties applying appropriate code change as well. I am not exactly sure of that but guessing so.

And I also said that there was a very real possibility that things have been tweaked even further since backer release that could affect those referenced, the planes actual physical light behaviors, moonlight. We know already further work on the overall release has been non-stop and still going on AND will continue to go on. No way was it implied this is final. The only thing implied was that the lights mentioned showed no behavior change as of now. Unless ED wants to verify they will behave differently we have been taught to assume nothing until ED states it as fact. So, please, try not to take things out of context or look at such critiques/observations as an assault. We all look at things differently and notice different things. This is often how things eventually improve usually.

The map looks great, the environmental lighting looks great, I am very much looking forward to it. I hope that it is a huge success and many more follow. I am ready to buy them when they are certainly and will to support ED as best I can.

Edited by Torso
  • Like 1

The Spit pit and effects look really good my side, the 51 and 109 could use some lovin though regarding the canopy effect. Need to still lload up the 190.

I suppose its a factor of when the modules were released like the 51 has been around for a long long time and certain things were not factored into it?

All good, this is an alpha and very much a work in progress.

Also had a few maps were I set up some vehicles to do stuff (probably incorrectly) but they were driving through buildings and stuff.

Had 2 trains following each other on a random map, shot out the first one and the other past through it as though it wasn't there.

I dunno how all this works in the other versions as I have not tried, just mentioning what I see here in the Alpha.

edit: iow, not criticism, just observations

Edited by Vlerkies