X-55 Rhino Hotas Issues and Problems

Saw this at simhq posted by woofiedog:

Trying to pin down some issues with the rhino, could people please post any issues you have with the X-55 as well as your system specs.

some issues I've noticed so far:

1. Multiple button presses being fired when running TeamSpeak 3(confirmed by mad catz tech support).To replicate this just run TS and open the test page and press a programmed button. The joy button must be programmed with a key press

2. Ghost button presses...this occurs when sliding the throttle back and forth and causes random button presses. This can be observed in the programming window without programmed buttons.It may take a few tries of sliding the throttle at varying speeds to see this issue. I've tried this on 3 different computers with 2 different rhinos and get the ghosting to different degrees. The only thing I can see in common in my case is AMD cpu chip sets on windows 7 64 bit.

MODUALS OWNED       AH-64D APACHE, Ka-50, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, Mi-24,Gazelle, FC3, A-10C, A-10CII, Mirage 2000C, F-14 TOMCAT, F/A-18C HORNET, F-16C VIPER, AV-8B/NA, F-15 E, F-4 Phantom, MiG-21Bis, L-39, F-5E, AJS 37 Viggen, MiG-19, F-86, MiG-15Bis, Spitfire IX, Bf-109K, Fw-190D, P-51D, CA, SYRIA, NEVADA, NORMANDY, PERSIAN GULF, MARIANA ISLANDS,SUPER CARRIER, WORLD WAR II ASSETS PACK, HAWK T1

SYSTEM SPECS            AMD  7600X 4.7 Ghz CPU , MSI RX 6750 12 gig GPU ,32 gig ram on Win11 64bit.

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw this at simhq posted by woofiedog:

Trying to pin down some issues with the rhino, could people please post any issues you have with the X-55 as well as your system specs.

some issues I've noticed so far:

1. Multiple button presses being fired when running TeamSpeak 3(confirmed by mad catz tech support).To replicate this just run TS and open the test page and press a programmed button. The joy button must be programmed with a key press

2. Ghost button presses...this occurs when sliding the throttle back and forth and causes random button presses. This can be observed in the programming window without programmed buttons.It may take a few tries of sliding the throttle at varying speeds to see this issue. I've tried this on 3 different computers with 2 different rhinos and get the ghosting to different degrees. The only thing I can see in common in my case is AMD cpu chip sets on windows 7 64 bit.

Open TS window and click on Settings/Options/Hotkeys and in the drop down menu (lower right corner) select Keyboard and Mouse Only.

• Like 1

Good find...setting the TS too "keyboard and mouse" worked for me in addressing issue no.1. Thanks for the solution.

Edited by Raven434th

MODUALS OWNED       AH-64D APACHE, Ka-50, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, Mi-24,Gazelle, FC3, A-10C, A-10CII, Mirage 2000C, F-14 TOMCAT, F/A-18C HORNET, F-16C VIPER, AV-8B/NA, F-15 E, F-4 Phantom, MiG-21Bis, L-39, F-5E, AJS 37 Viggen, MiG-19, F-86, MiG-15Bis, Spitfire IX, Bf-109K, Fw-190D, P-51D, CA, SYRIA, NEVADA, NORMANDY, PERSIAN GULF, MARIANA ISLANDS,SUPER CARRIER, WORLD WAR II ASSETS PACK, HAWK T1

SYSTEM SPECS            AMD  7600X 4.7 Ghz CPU , MSI RX 6750 12 gig GPU ,32 gig ram on Win11 64bit.

.....2. Ghost button presses...this occurs when sliding the throttle back and forth and causes random button presses. This can be observed in the programming window without programmed buttons.It may take a few tries of sliding the throttle at varying speeds to see this issue. I've tried this on 3 different computers with 2 different rhinos and get the ghosting to different degrees. The only thing I can see in common in my case is AMD cpu chip sets on windows 7 64 bit.

Yep. I have an AMD cpu with win 7 and i can confirm this. I sent a ticket to mad catz tech support ( Created: 15 March 2014) ,so far no solution has been given. They say that if the H.O.T.A.S works ok while testing "joy.cpl", then there is no problem, even after explaining to them that Rhino's software does detect the problem.....

Edited by Filthyone

Ok...I just spoke with madcatz tech support in L.A California and we've been trying to pin down this issue for weeks now.I directed them to this thread so they are now aware of this ghosting issue being more than a single incident.I sent back both x-55's today for refund until they can establish if its a software issue or hardware conflict.There are 3 possibilities IMO that could be the culprit.

1.Packageing.when my rhinos showed up they were a box in a box ,no shock absorbing material at all except what was contained in the rhino box itself.Being in canada and knowing how things get banged up (temp being a factor as well)...this may or may not have been the cause.

2.hardware batch.plain and simple it could be that we simply got unlucky.Bad batches.

3. It's a driver issue with AMD chipsets.Unlikely maybe, but possible I guess given my case and the fact that others have this same issue on amd machines.

Here is the number for madcatz tech support 1 (800) 659-2287 ,ask for Raymond or Victor who were handling the case for me and they should be able to glean enough info from others to maybe get these issues fixed.

Edited by Raven434th

I just noticed something strange - while I haven´t had any actual issues with my X-55 Throttle unit despite this, I noticed today that a total of 4 (out of 7) screws are missing which are supposed to hold together the left throttle lever.

Is this intentional (unlikely), did the units not go through any kind of quality check before they were shipped or what is up with that? Did anybody else notice this?

The lever still holds together sufficiently well during normal operation and you would have to force it apart intentionally, but what the heck?!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Deedle, deedle!

I have had an issue for 4 weeks with this HOTAS. The throttle has had calibration problems since purchase. It took me two days to calibrate in the first weekend I purchased it. It wouldn't calibrate in the windows setup or in the HUD software. After two days of frustration for some unknown reason it finally calibrated in windows and then calibrated in the HUD.

It worked for a week and then the next weekend the same problem started again. No throttle, unable to calibrate in windows or HUD software. Again spent two frustrating days removing/installing drivers /software trying to calibrate etc. Turned on the computer second day tried one more time and like the first weekend it all of a sudden calibrated.

I have enjoyed this HOTAS for two weeks until yesterday I was flying and having a great time and got up to get a coffee. Returned to the computer, fired up another flight sim and bam! No throttle. Suddenly unable to calibrate in windows or HUD again! It has now been another weekend of frustration following Saitek's instructions of removing and installing software. VERY FRUSTRATED.

If you turn down the lights on the HOTAS through the HUD software you will notice that the mode switch lights on the throttle will still light up to indicate what mode you are in. Mine is not lit up now.

Is anyone having similar frustrations? Why is there no customer service at Saitek on the weekend when most people are needing assistance?

• 2 weeks later...

I have msi boards on 3 comps and my labtop is acer, I only checked the hotas's on 2 msi systems and the laptop and all 3 had the same issues. All screws accounted for btw.

Edited by Raven434th

Hm, i created a ticket with the customer service, requesting info on what kind of screws to buy exactly and a day later they replied, aksing for all kinds of info (receipt, adress, pictures etc.). I filled out their form and sent it back, but haven´t heard from them since... That was over a week ago.

I really don´t know what to make of that. :huh:

Edited by upupandaway

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Deedle, deedle!

I have msi boards on 3 comps and my labtop is acer, I only checked the hotas's on 2 msi systems and the laptop and all 3 had the same issues. All screws accounted for btw.

Ok.Thanks Raven434th. Just wondering if it was something related to Asus instead of AMD.

Didn´t work for me at all. Hadn´t tred to map it until now, but I got curious.

The axis don´t show up under windows calibration as well as DCS control setup. Mapping the two axis of the G940 mini-stick was no trouble at all, just had to select them in DCS.

Edited by upupandaway

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Deedle, deedle!

• 3 weeks later...

Add me to the list with the Ghost Button Press issue. Happens with most of switches on the throttle only, at any moment, even while paused and hands off. Asus Mobo and AMD CPU. Cant really fly with it. I issued a support ticket with Madcatz as well.

I bought mine from Amazon, but they are sold out now.

I wonder if the Throttle Axis can be disabled for diagnostic purposes.

Just an update, I disabled both throttles in the Madcatz control panel, same as you would the rudder if you are using pedals, and in DCS mapped the throttle for both engines to a rotary that was not being used. No more ghost button presses. Next I will try disabling one throttle lever in the Madcatz control panel, since they are separate, and map both engines to the other in DCS. I will post my results. Also waiting to here back from Madcatz

Ok, I think I may have figured something out with the ghost button presses. In the Madcatz control panel, go into settings and select the throttle. From there you will see Throttle One and Throttle Two on the upper left of the window. Select Throttle One, you will see the profile with a diagonal line from the lower left corner to the upper right. If you look closely, the line is slightly jagged. On the lower right corner you will see a box where you can select the profile, on the top it has J profiles, and bottom S profiles. Select the S profile with the diagonal line and click apply. Do the same for Throttle Two. Now if you look at the diagonal line it is smoother.

I just flew for an hour this way and had no issues, no ghost button presses.

Something else worth noting, when playing around with the settings, if you disable the left throttle with the lock icon, the right throttle will only work with the throttles unlocked from each other. There must be some type of sensor on the mechanism that locks the two throttles together.

Well I'll be a @#^$%$^...worked like a charm Jamey...thanks a bunch...did you report this to madcatz?

• ED Team

Something else worth noting, when playing around with the settings, if you disable the left throttle with the lock icon, the right throttle will only work with the throttles unlocked from each other. There must be some type of sensor on the mechanism that locks the two throttles together.

That is awesome to know! :thumbup:

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Well.... This evening the ghost button presses came back with a vengance. I couldn't go 60 seconds without something goofy happening. First I thought maybe because I turned the LED brightness back up, and turned my Track-IR back on, turned them both off, and still had random mishaps. After messing with the Madcatz control panel again for a bit, working each throttle back and forth seperately, the problems went away. Flew another 30 minutes or so with LED's full bright and TrackIR on.

For diagnostic purposes, I disabled 3 of the rotaries that I am not using with the lock setting. I also set the only rotary I am using (as a zoom axis) to the same smooth profile as the throttles.

Hopefully we can get to the bottom of it.