Spoiler alert: There will be no Rift 2

Buckeye

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

If that reporting is accurate, might be time for me to check out the upcoming Odyssey+...

Hoping this is not the "full story".

Oculus was working on some pretty neat tech for CV2 ( Half Dome ).

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

bummer!

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Facebook is denying any plans to cancel Rift CV2.

https://variety.com/2018/digital/news/oculus-co-founder-brendan-iribe-is-leaving-facebook-1202988298/

Facebook subsequently denied this report, with a spokesperson telling Variety: “Yes, we are planning a future version of Rift.”

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Not exactly a firm denial, which sucks. But the Odssey+ looks interesting.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Nate Mitchell on Twitter this afternoon:

"A lot of questions today about the future of Rift — we're still driving forward on the Rift/PC platform with new hardware, software, and content.

Lots of great stuff in the works. More to share in the months ahead."

Don B

Damn, I was hoping a company as big as FB would be willing to sell high end hardware at a loss or break even to sell VR games like Sony and Microsoft with consoles. With their recent product launches and these recent departures it looks like high end gear is on the backburner. The guy mentioned in his statement that the tech needs to be pushed forward. Of course, they could always license tech but looks like a Rift 2 isn't going to happen for at least a couple years. They probably ran the numbers and realized the market with people with the hardware that can currently run VR is too small. Bummer, the tech won't get pushed forward unless large companies will make the investment. I was hoping they would come out with a Rift 2 with glove by next Christmas.

PR being PR, doesn't comfort me a whole lot but it's better than confirmation that the CV2 as we knew it is indeed dead in the water.

The can has been kicked down the road, we shall see where we end up :thumbup:

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

From the Reddit thread above; I think this say's it all:

Brendan Iribe: "The Rift 2 prototype I have been working on and excited about being released in the near future has been canceled."

Nate Mitchell/Facebook: "We still have R&D on PC and will probably release something down the road"

Hmm... damn shame if true and FB doesn't continue with the Rift development down the line.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

i5 11600k 4.9ghz, 64gb 3600, 3070ti, multiple ssd/nvme, Rift S, TM Warthog / Throttle, Saitek Pedals, Nevada, Normandy, Syria, A10C/2, KA-50 3, P51D, L39, Huey, WW2 Assets, VaicomPro

Oculus will bring a new Rift, whether it is the one we all hope for remains to be seen. I don't think they are going to dump PC-VR anytime soon.

Pretty sure they have their eyes on the whole market- mobile, untethered with built in processing unit, and PC-VR.

Course I can very easily be wrong...

:smilewink:

Don B

I agree dburne. It appears Oculus is reluctant to release a new headset with a number of higher specs that would require another big jump in computer specs. Hence the Rift S instead of a Rift 2. This doesn't mean that Oculus has stopped research and development of higher spec headsets.

I agree dburne. It appears Oculus is reluctant to release a new headset with a number of higher specs that would require another big jump in computer specs. Hence the Rift S instead of a Rift 2. This doesn't mean that Oculus has stopped research and development of higher spec headsets.

What is crazy is there has been no official word from Oculus on any of this TechCrunch reporting including now the supposed Rift S. First Rift was cancelled, now it is Rift S.

Just rumors at this point. May very well be true, but I will prefer to wait for official word.

Don B

makes sense, facebook is probably interested in simple low-cost devices to outfit their social horde, with an emphasis on portability and smartphone compatibility. their vision of the VR experience is an immersive face-time videochat lounge, with any gaming applications as a bonus on the side

really this was predictable when facebook acquired oculus to begin with

makes sense, facebook is probably interested in simple low-cost devices to outfit their social horde, with an emphasis on portability and smartphone compatibility. their vision of the VR experience is an immersive face-time videochat lounge, with any gaming applications as a bonus on the side

really this was predictable when facebook acquired oculus to begin with

They are sure pumping a lot of money into those gaming applications for VR, and have stated no plans to slow down through 2020 in this regard.

FB/Oculus is by far pumping the most money into gaming applications than any of their competitors.

They apparently have a long term vision for VR and are trying to do what they can to bring it to a much larger adoption rate by going with the three pronged approach they have taken.

One thing for sure, going to be real interesting to see where VR is and what we are discussing three years from now.

Don B

The RiftS is probably the best idea for headset sales. A Rift2 might require a major PC upgrade, that would greatly curtail sales. The Rift2 should come out, when PC performance improves, and headsets are optimized to require less PC performance.

While there is still to be any official word on any of this from Oculus, my gut feel:

They have big hopes for this Half Dome Technology, but realize they are still a ways off of being able to make that a reality. I suspect the project has not been totally cancelled, but tabled for now as they sense a need to bring something at least sooner.

In the meantime, they recognize the need with these other VR devices coming out now to at least upgrade the current incarnation of the Rift, to give a small bump in resolution as the other folks are doing, and maybe something else as well. There is speculation of them going with inside out tracking for it rather than constellation. While it will make it easier for setting up and operating the headset, I myself would have preferred the constellation tracking - simply because it is just so darn good and not susceptible to light.

And now with the new Virtual Link Port Nvidia is putting in the 20x cards, it makes setting up and plugging in those sensors, headset USB, and HDMI such a breeze. I could not be happier with it. This is going to help very much new folks getting their Rifts set up and running properly.

Don B

More Oculus "news" compliments of TechCrunch again...

https://techcrunch.com/2018/11/03/oculus-organization/

Don B

What I get from all this news is that Rift 2 was not a cost-effective way to stay in the VR business. Can Rift simultaneously improve their products, reduce internal costs, reduce consumer costs, and get their hardware/software to run well on pcs/game systems most people have and/or can afford?

I am not buying in to $1,000 gpus and cpus. If that is where flight simming is going, I am going back to building model kits and/or flying R/C models. Right now, if I want my son's PC to run VR, I have to spend about $350-$400 on a VR set plus get a 1080 for about $500. That is about the limit of what I am willing to spend, and most people spend less than that on their entire gaming PC setup. I don't see how VR is going to survive trying to improve its resolution/display quality to match flat panels, while also expanding its field of view wider, and trying to get prices down to a level where VR becomes mainstream.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well the cpu's, gpu's, vr headsets are all stepping up in price near 50%. On the other side, what are we getting back? 20% better? It looks like devoloping new techniques for feature products is coming to the end of inventing. Really?

I as consumer must pay all my vacationmoney for a new high end PC and vr headset? I think Intel, Nvidia, HTC, Oculus must know better. So i think i step over to AMD Zen2 and odessey+. And you know what? I can still go on vacation. :D

Well it comes faster then i hoped! :D https://wccftech.com/amd-zen-2-ryzen-epyc-cpus-higher-than-expected-ipc-clocks/

Edited by boedha68

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly: