1.2.1 bomb explosion, FPS problem

YoYo

Noticed big impact for drop FPS now for all bombs explosions. Worse than in DCSW 1.2.0. In this version poor fps was only for bombs like CBU-87, now, explosion on the ground takes -50% of FPS (and for bombs like CBU -80-90% of FPS). Wrong way for me.

Ok, looks very pretty, but who cares of slide show? Id like to prefer less detalied explosions (like for example in A-10C from beta to RC) with very good frame rates than cinemas explosions but with 10 fps for some of seconds.

• Like 1

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

I'm with YoYo as well. The new World effects should never have made it into a public release in their current state. The impact on gameplay, particularly with the CBU-87, is just so unreasonably severe. Once the general framerate loss is resolved (in the very near future hopefully), I can see this becoming a user "favorite" issue to complain about.

I don't understand you all... you have to expect FPS hit if the sim engine is the same (no multithreading added and no SLI/CF added) and they keep adding new stuff... any new stuff graphics wise or just CPU calculations takes a hit.

Everyone should either stop asking for new stuff and nicer this and more of that if they don't like FPS hit.... or ED has to step up and stop adding new features and get the multi cpu/gpu working for more things.. it's the only way to get better FPS and/or more features.

I think ED's new patch really should be only ironing out the bugs of the stuff we already have in sim and get that multi cpu/gpu working

No longer active in DCS...

Find it's nice to see continued improvements on the graphics and physics and should be continued.

But it's also correct that all those improvements impact the FPS. My hopes are for the future coming EDGE. I expect it to calculate the effects and geometry smoother (less FPS hit). Why not multi-threading for the core engine? It's a hell to code, and might be re-coded from scratch. So I don't know if it's possible for ED team (very talented and devoted devs but I think they have not the same budget invest as a financial-AAA gamestudio with armies of devs). Correct me if I'm wrong.

DCS Wish: Turbulences affecting surrounding aircraft...

[sIGPIC] [/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P - Intel Core i5 6600K - 16Gb RAM DDR4-2133 - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 Gaming - 8 Go - 2 x SSD Crucial MX300 - 750 Go RAID0 - Screens: HP OMEN 32'' 2560x1440 + Oculus Rift CV1 - Win 10 - 64bits - TM WARTHOG #889 - Saitek Pro Rudder.

EDGE might as well be coded from scratch with multithreading in mind, but I doubt ED or users would drop current terrain in favour of EDGE Nevada terrain. The CPU's will get more efficient but really that process is very slow and to get double the performance out of 1 core takes about 5+ years while in that time new features also get added so really its a loosing battle.

Multithreading really has to be the norm already in anything that requires decent physics, avionics in DCS level and good graphics.

Kuky, this isn't about losing a frame here or there, it's about a reduction to unplayable slideshow levels in the worst cases. The simple fact is that by any reasonable standard of performance, these effects are not quite ready for the public spotlight yet. Of course we all want new features, but not at the expense of playability.

I haven't installed 1.2.1 yet and am bit hesitant as I hear MP issue is still there so I can't really know how much of impact this version has. as I did have inreased high.lua tweaks of my own even more than what Mustang provided I might experience low to none FPS hit if I use new default High.lua

So the two ends of a circle finally meet. In the beginning there was crappy explosion and we, me included, moaned and raised a stink, and now that they give us some resemblance of a fireball, we moan it's killing game play.

Oh and I should mention that DCS World is still under construction and will likely remain that way until the germination of wizards and black magic. Shall we have another dance? :D

Edited by leafer

ED have been taking my money since 1995. :P

Before was only problem with explosions like CBU bomb type on my PC. Now, some FPS take simply Mk.82...

Combat sim must bee smooth than the others sims.

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

some resemblance of a fireball

Just can't make us happy. Expected by the moderators no doubt :D

...Can't believe that such a minuscule increase (I'm so tempted to call it a decrease) in eye candy results in such poor performance.

What I really don't understand is EDs reasoning for replacing certain effects. To me the only really goofy effects were the iron bombs and CBU 97. At least the 97s look really cool now :thumbup:

System specifications: Computer, joystick, DCS world, Beer

I don't understand you all... you have to expect FPS hit if the sim engine is the same (no multithreading added and no SLI/CF added) and they keep adding new stuff... any new stuff graphics wise or just CPU calculations takes a hit.

Everyone should either stop asking for new stuff and nicer this and more of that if they don't like FPS hit.... or ED has to step up and stop adding new features and get the multi cpu/gpu working for more things.. it's the only way to get better FPS and/or more features.

I think ED's new patch really should be only ironing out the bugs of the stuff we already have in sim and get that multi cpu/gpu working

True multi CPU and GPU core system in DCS? Dreamer! :D

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

So the two ends of a circle finally meet. In the beginning there was crappy explosion and we, me included, moaned and raised a stink, and now that they give us some resemblance of a fireball, we moan it's killing game play.

Indeed.

I personally have not noticed a unreasonable drop in fps. Admittedly have not flown enough. But after just firing off a number of Mk1 rockets i did not notice any significant fps hit.

More eye candy = more strain on system = lowering your settings. Unfortunately the final part of that formula can be very hard for people to accept. (understandably)

i5-3570K @ 4.5 Ghz, Asus P8Z77-V, 8 GB DDR3, 1.5GB GTX 480 (EVGA, superclocked), SSD, 2 x 1680x1050, x-fi extreme music.

TM Warthog, Saitek combat pro pedals, TrackIR 4

Nonsense. The explosions in 1.2.0 looked and performed great and should have been retained.

Win10 x64 | SSDs | i5 2500K @ 4.4 GHz | 16 GB RAM | GTX 970 | TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pedals | TIR5

The ones in 1.1.1.1 weren't pretty, but the original World ones surely look alright?

There was one effect for almost everything!

The explosion from a CBU-97 skeet was the same effect as the maverick one. Kinetic energy vs. up to 300 pounds of explosives, same effect... What!

...I will say that I liked the way the new explosion looked... we just need some realistic variance. I still can't believe how pathetic the explosion looks from a 2000 pound bomb

System specifications: Computer, joystick, DCS world, Beer

Guys I don't think it's just the explosion or perhaps I'm imagining it? I've always turned water to low, always, but for some reason I decided to set it to high and mutha! They did something to it, right? I don't recall the sea being that choppy and the translucent, spider web-like thingy is just gorgeous. The over all atmosphere when looking out to sea just feel different, too.

I also decreased res from 1920*1080 to 1600*something and it made a huge difference. I'm averaging around 15-20 fps with water on and shadow on high.

ED have been taking my money since 1995. :P

So... the explosion will be optimalized too? Now with the last patch FPS in sim back to 1.2.0, agree, but impact of explosion is still too same, - 50% od fps for some of sec/minutes. It depences of kind of bomb. I hop ED will work on this too.

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Nonsense. The explosions in 1.2.0 looked and performed great and should have been retained.

Seconded. Especially the GAU-8 impact effects looked spot on to me. I dislike the new ones.

P8Z68 | 2500k @ 4.5 | GTX 1080Ti | 2x8 GB @ 1600 | TM Hog (extended 7cm) & MFG Crosswind (S/N 007) | TIR v5

WWII bomber formations | DCS P-51D: [TEST] TO distance / gross weight / temperature

I really liked the 1.2.0 explosions. They were violent and understated at the same time. But since I play less and less these days I don't really care so long as performance isn't hindered--today it certainly is. But the photon torpedoes I see launched out of my P-51 drive me nuts as does the fiery shell impacts. You can show all the youtube videos you care to. I don't care, it just doesn't look right.

+1 On that. Hollywood needs to go. I would like that ED would stop listening to people who say "boooohooo, the sim looks bad". Someone even had the nerve to call the graphics in DCS on the level of Amiga. But this is a simulator, it should look good only to the point where it is realistic (and does not cause performance hits).

If anyone cannot live without great balls of fire, BMS has plenty of those. ;)

For me the CBU-87 explosions (and probably others) put my FPS down to single digits.

I prefer smooth gameplay over Hollywood explosions.

FinnJ

i7-10700K 3.8-5.1Ghz, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 12GB, 1 x 1 TB SSD, 2 x 2TB SSD2 TB,  1 x 2 TBHDD 7200 RPM, Win10 Home 64bit, Meta Quest 3.

The thing is, why the heck are a few "nice" looking explosions so hard on a modern pc in 2012? Is it still beacuse we are using a tweaked dx9 engine from 2001?

So many stupidly small things in this sim kill the FPS that other semi modern titles just laugh off (and I mean all genres). Like lights costing 6 fps, and cockpit flood lighting costing 10 fps. And flying through a column of non volumetric smoke another 10-20 fps.

Specs: GA-Z87X-UD3H, i7-4770k, 16GB, RTX2060, SB AE-5, 750watt Corsair PSU, X52, Track IR4, Win10x64.

Sim Settings: Textures: ? | Scenes: ? |Water: ? | Visibility Range: ? | Heat Blur: ? | Shadows: ? | Res: 1680x1050 | Aspect: 16:10 | Monitors: 1 Screen | MSAA: ? | Tree Visibility: ? | Vsync: On | Mirrors: ? | Civ Traffic: High | Res Of Cockpit Disp: 512 | Clutter: ? | Fullscreen: On

• 2 weeks later...