$500 to spend. GPU or Warthog?

Long time browser but had to register to ask a question since this is really the only location I could go to expect people to understand this question.

So I've got about $500 ratholed aside that I am going to throw back into my pc, with a focus on doing so to improve my DCS experience.

My question is upgrade GPU or splurge on a Thrustmaster.

I currently have a MSI 660TI PE and was thinking about jumping to a 780. DCS doesn't play poorly on the 660 by any means but I think the jump to 780 would be a substantial performance boost.

I have the x52 right now and am about as happy with it as expected given the spring mechanic and the plastic parts. I use to fly with the Air Force so the quality of the stick goes a long way in my book. But in the end I'm trying to choose between making it look more real and making it feel more real.

I have pedals and track ir pro so really the stick and MFDs are the only thing I am missing from an input standpoint and so far iControl DCS has filled in for the MFDs.

I'm playing on a 40" Sony Bravia now but in about a year I am planning on going to a T setup with 3 monitors and a touchscreen once I buy a new house and requisition a gaming room instead of flying in the office.

So what does everyone think will give me the bang for the buck.

Hard decision.

You need both good GPU and HOTAS. You mentioned that quality of the stick is important to you, so the decision is much easier. Treat yourself with TMWH and start saving for the new GPU :) . Wait for the EDGE and see what GPU muscle it will need for smooth performance. That TMWH will keep you occupied in the meantime.

I went from the 670 to the titan and saw an amazing "no difference" in DCS.

It does run much smoother and adaptive vsync runs really well but that's it.

No FPS increase where I wanted an increase.

Other games run crazy fast with the titan but DCS..... nothing.

But I bought the Titan for edge... a gamble for sure and I hope it pays off.

Wait for EDGE I says.

The warthog feels fantastic and you will never regret buying it. On a day to day, minute to minute feel it is superb. Get simpits extension as this puts the weight of the stick higher which gives it this lovely feeling momentum/inertia in your hand and further refines control, very sweet in a chopper (mounted between the legs of course).

But I think you should wait for EDGE.

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

I went from the 670 to the titan and saw an amazing "no difference" in DCS.

It does run much smoother and adaptive vsync runs really well but that's it.

No FPS increase where I wanted an increase.

Other games run crazy fast with the titan but DCS..... nothing.

But I bought the Titan for edge... a gamble for sure and I hope it pays off.

Wait for EDGE I says.

The warthog feels fantastic and you will never regret buying it. On a day to day, minute to minute feel it is superb. Get simpits extension as this puts the weight of the stick higher which gives it this lovely feeling momentum/inertia in your hand and further refines control, very sweet in a chopper (mounted between the legs of course).

But I think you should wait for EDGE.

Very good to know but sorry for your results with the Titan. That in combination with the oncoming EDGE does lend itself toward an easy decision. With the hit and miss nature of SLI, who knows, it may actually preform better with the new engine and I can just get by with purchasing another 660.

I still haven't OCed my GPU or CPU so I could always go with the Hog and push the 660 to the limit and if it fails just tell the wife it broke and I need to get a new one and end up with both. Wow, as I typed that I realized how much of a military pilot statement that was.

I thought the 670 was pretty good for the money and your 660 was designed for OCing... I think.

SLI was an option I played with and will be equal to, if not better than the Titan for speed, as long as the GPU drivers are good for DCS it should work very well.

Sounds like you are persuading yourself into feeling the cold steel in your hand.

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

660 to 780 isn't a huge jump in peformance.. I have a 770 and love it, but I am coming from a 550TI so the bump in performance was bigger..

I would recommend the stick rather than the GPU but that is just me... No idea when EDGE will be here so at this point I think the Warthog would be the choice I would make..

Regardless, ENJOY!

"Pride is a poor substitute for intelligence."

RAMBO

I would rather play with slightly less detail on the Warthog than try to fuss around with a lesser control setup.

Stuff some money in your cheeks for a bit longer and do both!

Look online and find some lightly used 670s for half the normal price- those are probably still one of the best priced cards out there.

"ENO"

Type in anger and you will make the greatest post you will ever regret.

"Sweetest's" Military Aviation Art

I would rather play with slightly less detail on the Warthog than try to fuss around with a lesser control setup.

Stuff some money in your cheeks for a bit longer and do both!

Look online and find some lightly used 670s for half the normal price- those are probably still one of the best priced cards out there.

Oh both will be done. It's just a question of timing and prioritization.

Thanks for the responses all. I think I'm going to take the Thrustmaster plunge. Now to see if I can get a decent price on one somewhere.

Saw that officemax has a coupon code coming up on the 25th for 25% off an online order. Can't find a description of what is excluded and am almost certain the stick is on that list, but for $125 I figure its worth the effort to wait and see. But now that I've decided boy do I feel like driving to Microcenter today just to have it in my hands tonight.

Warthog, hands-down. I play on an HD 5850 that DCS runs ok. If I didn't have a Warthog but knew what it's like, I'd never upgrade the GPU first.

With a TM:W you don't need a better GPU for any other games, either :D (Ok I made that one up)

Edit: Sniped.

This is exactly the advice that I was looking for. Pretty much what I was trying to get a feel for from current users.

Warthog for sure, but consider that more pressure is needed, and youll either need ronnie coleman arms with it sitting on the desktop, or want to look at installing as a center stick, or building a pit.

Have fun!

Current Flight Rig

i7 4960X @ 4.6Ghz

ASUS Rampage IV Formula

G.SKILL TridentX 2400Mhz 32GB DDR3

Crucial 1TB MX300 SSD

MSI Gaming X 1080Ti

Samsung 55" JS8000 SUHD 4K

Windows 10 x64

TrackIR 5, Warthog HOTAS

Saitek Pro Flight Combat Pedals

Custom Akers-Barnes, MkI eyeball.

You may be able to get both for about $500, look around in different forums and craigslist.

This guy sold a warthog for $250 + shipping

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3911026/Slightly_Used_Thrustmaster_Wha#Post3911026

So you can find good deals out there.

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

I almost bought that just because- that was a ridiculous deal and not one that I would expect to see too often.

But I guess the point is (not to argue with your point at all Cali) that these deals DO exist on occasion and OP needs to figure out how much the play time is worth. You could wait a bit and probably hit it- or save up (which it sounds like he was planning on doing anyway) and stagger the purchases.

I might add I think this is the FIRST time in my history in any thread on these forums that everyone agreed on something!

"ENO"

Type in anger and you will make the greatest post you will ever regret.

"Sweetest's" Military Aviation Art

You may be able to get both for about $500, look around in different forums and craigslist.

This guy sold a warthog for $250 + shipping

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3911026/Slightly_Used_Thrustmaster_Wha#Post3911026

So you can find good deals out there.

It was actually $227 shipped in the end :) And other than a little paint rubbing off, its in excellent shape and goes well with my 11 year old FCC Cougar :)

• Like 2

Hands down the best investment I ever made regarding this sim...

Go Warthog.... you won't regret it. You might come to the same conclusion I did... 'Why did I wait so long?'

• Like 1

Acer AMD Phenom II x 4 840T, 16 gb. memory, Zotac GTX580 Amp2 3GB, 40" Philips tv, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Combat Rudders , Cougar MFCD's w/ 21.5" LG monitor, DSD Track Master button box, 3rd. century Roman field comanders helmet w/ Track IR 5, Windows 7 Home P.

“God is a comedian, playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh.”... Voltaire

"Diplomacy is the practiced art of being able to confidently say 'nice doggie' until you find a rock" ... Tom Clancy