Help Identifying a P-51D

Whiplash

• ED Team
Really ? You didn't think the way they Leaned into the Stick on the turns was realistic ? Or the way they were thrown from side to side on the turns looked real ?

I AGREE !

I could have handled all that, but they changed many things about the true Red Tails story, a story that would make a good movie if only told word for word, it didnt need spicing up by Mr Lucas...

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

That is HISTORY right there. And that skin is beautiful. Together, they make some very nostalgic notions arise.

Someone oughta fly that lil bird in a tribute video. Too beautiful. Thread should be a "sticky" in the P-51 section.

Dogs of War Squadron

Call sign "HeadHunter" P-51D /Spitfire Jockey

Gigabyte EP45T-UD3LR /Q9650 3.6Ghz | 16GB DDR3 1600 RipJaws | EVGA GTX-1060 ACX3 FTW | ThrustMaster 16000m & G13 GamePad w/analog rudder stick | TurtleBeach EarForce PX22 | Track IR5 | Vizio 40" 4K TV monitor (stuck temporarily with an Acer 22" :( )

• 3 weeks later...

neat ... but yeah... short indeed:

[VV]49850323[/VV]

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

"This was not in the Manual I did not read", cried the Noob" - BMBM, WWIIOL

Whip, I call dibs on Little "MAC" the first day you fly a mission with a flyable B-24!

drinks_cheers.gif

Call me crazy but that plane has some good juju in-game. Isn't that the plane I used for Refuge 11 last time we killed it and ran the table on that mission? Good stuff.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

[Dogs of War] WWII COMBAT SERVER | P-51D - FW190-D9 - Me109-K4

Visit Our Website & Forum to Get More Info & Team Speak Access

Whip, I call dibs on Little "MAC" the first day you fly a mission with a flyable B-24!

drinks_cheers.gif

Call me crazy but that plane has some good juju in-game. Isn't that the plane I used for Refuge 11 last time we killed it and ran the table on that mission? Good stuff.

man in my absence I never saw the recent activity on this thread! you are right, it was Little MAC you were flying. It's funny but after getting use to flying with each other in our DoW planes I have to say that Redtail stuck out like a sore thumb. It made it nice when I was trying to form up with you! The day we have a flyable B-24 will be the day I start making the banana boat skin! You can see her here: http://www.450thbg.com/real/aircraft/bananaboat.shtml That is the one my granddad bailed out of over Yugoslavia.

Demon thanks for the link. That is the official website of my grandfather’s bomber group. I submitted some of those pictures on behalf of Craig Huntly but the ones from Stanley Purwinis were there before I started researching the plane.

What I find interesting is the that the pictures from Stanley Purwinis appear to be taken from separate days since the nose art LITTLE MAC is not on one of them. I know the B-24s were surrounded by a lot of mustangs but why are there pictures of this particular plane taken on at least two separate occasion? I think it almost suggest there might be some connection with the pilot and the 720th BS. Especially since my grandfather said the pilot of LITTLE MAC was the officer who was checking his gear for contraband before he was sent home. Just feels like too many coincidences, and if there is some connection then maybe that is the key in finally putting a name to the pilot... who knows.

As a side note I updated this skin a while ago so the metal finish looks a little different than the previous pictures I posted.

thumb.jpg?1409089353222666

It’s also part of our official DoW skin pack that can be download from the first post in our Server thread: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=133245

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Adulthood is like looking both ways before you cross the street and then getting hit by an airplane."

Dogs of War Dedicated WWII Server Thread

As a side note I updated this skin a while ago so the metal finish looks a little different than the previous pictures I posted.

thumb.jpg?1409089353222666

It’s also part of our official DoW skin pack that can be download from the first post in our Server thread: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=133245

Wow!. (quick exit to download) :punk:

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

LITTLE *MAC* Goes to Normandy.

- Thanks Merlin for the great screenshots!

I updated the textures so they look a little more realist. DCS 1.5 changed the texture properties so an update has been long over due. This newer version will look a lot better in Normandy!

Download here: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/648876/

qj0pdo6.jpg

HspC3E0.jpg

K0ab2fP.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Adulthood is like looking both ways before you cross the street and then getting hit by an airplane."

Dogs of War Dedicated WWII Server Thread

I have a question about the terrain. Does it really look like that in real life? What's the purpose of sectioning it off like that if there isn't a home on each section? Why section it off if each section isn't owned by different owners?

Buzz

Ever been to New England and seen the rock walls around fields? they acculmulated over the years as farmers cleared one field, then another and pushed the stones and debries to the edge. don't know for sure as I've never been to Normandy, but could be the same type of gradual clearing over centuries.

We are Virtual Pilots, a growing International Squad of pilots, we fly Allies in WWII and Red Force in Korea and Modern combat. We are recruiting like minded people of all Nationalities and skill levels.

http://virtual-pilots.com/

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I understand what they are, but why the separation if one owner owns multiple plots. They appear to be just grass.

Two reasons.

1. What the above poster said.

2. They act as windbreaks to help stop erosion and keep the fertile soil from blowing away. We do the same thing in Louisiana.

I understand what they are, but why the separation if one owner owns multiple plots. They appear to be just grass.

They aren't grass. They are mounds of earth and rocks, with very thick hedges on top. I think the French word for them is "bocage".

The Allies had a heck of a time getting through them, until a soldier invented a plough-like device welded onto the front of tanks.

TWC_SLAG

Win 10 64 bit, 2T Hard Drive, 1T SSD, 500GB SSD, ASUS Prime Z390 MB, Intel i9 9900 Coffee Lake 3.1mhz CPU, ASUS 2070 Super GPU, 32gb DDR4 Ram, Track IR5, 32” Gigabyte curved monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals, Voice Attack, hp Reverb G2.

They aren't grass. They are mounds of earth and rocks, with very thick hedges on top. I think the French word for them is "bocage".

The Allies had a heck of a time getting through them, until a soldier invented a plough-like device welded onto the front of tanks.

Some are dirt, but most are green. Green dirt?

Buzz

Some are dirt, but most are green. Green dirt?

Green hedges.

TWC_SLAG

Win 10 64 bit, 2T Hard Drive, 1T SSD, 500GB SSD, ASUS Prime Z390 MB, Intel i9 9900 Coffee Lake 3.1mhz CPU, ASUS 2070 Super GPU, 32gb DDR4 Ram, Track IR5, 32” Gigabyte curved monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals, Voice Attack, hp Reverb G2.

Green hedges.

I'm talking about the ground. Not the hedges. It's grass no?

My point being that these aren't crops but just grass fields. Why do they need to be separated? I've seen plenty of photos and videos of the UK. I was going to move there once. They do have a lot of sections with stone walls separating them. However, they have homes on the sections and are bigger than what we see in Normandy map.

I think it was easier to make the map that way. You could have a lot of duplication and it wouldn't be noticed. It's a great looking map and i'm not complaining. Just curious.

Buzz

Your question was already answered a few posts back:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3126863&postcount=66

This "bocage" is centuries, centuries. Old. It was simply the way land was cleared in most of Europe since the Early Middle ages. Probably even before that. On the coastlines it was left that way, because it helps to protect the fertile land against erosion.

I've seen this on the coasts of Spain, South Italy, Sicily, Greece, Croatia...etc. etc.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Your question was already answered a few posts back:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3126863&postcount=66

This "bocage" is centuries, centuries. Old. It was simply the way land was cleared in most of Europe since the Early Middle ages. Probably even before that. On the coastlines it was left that way, because it helps to protect the fertile land against erosion.

I've seen this on the coasts of Spain, South Italy, Sicily, Greece, Croatia...etc. etc.

I didn't respond to that post because I was born and brought up in New England. It doesn't look like Normandy. Yes, there are stone walls, but the walls separate properties and there's a home on each one.

Anyway, it's not really important. That's how the map looks and it's a 1000 times better than Caucasus.

Buzz

I didn't respond to that post because I was born and brought up in New England. It doesn't look like Normandy. Yes, there are stone walls, but the walls separate properties and there's a home on each one.

By the time European settlers settled in New England, these kinds of hedges were out of fashion :)

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.