SAM acquisition/search radar display?

Buznee

It is noted in the 1.2.8 beta that there has been a SAM unit acquisition/search radar display added.

Has anyone been able to find it or operate it? Which units have you guys had luck with and any particular actions that need to be done to utilize it?

• 3 weeks later...

remember tunguska can launch missiles without a lock, and its pretty much the greates light anti tank vehicle ever created

remember tunguska can launch missiles without a lock, and its pretty much the greates light anti tank vehicle ever created

The tunguska is a good combination anti-air, you just have to be prudent with the cannon as you can run out pretty quick and reload time is horrendous. The 9M311 is okay but it depends on target aspect. The Tor has the reach and a satisfying launch animation.

The radar appears in the top left hand corner on screen. Use default key "I" to toggle the radar on and off. When ON (shown by the yellow arrow to the bottom left of the radar screen), the air targets show up as always on green pips if pinged, plus there is a radar screen sweep. Very enjoyable to use.

(Been practicing on some F-18C' in mission editor.)

I like it. However, i'd like to see a few things corrected/implemented:

1) radar azimuth display to remain independent of vehicle orientation.

2) radar tracks to fade out slowly (as in the F-15 radar) so you can have a more reslistic representation and better sense of target movement/velocity.

3) range rings to be adjusted with scale selection.

4) track selection from radar display.

4) approximate altitude and speed of targets displayed when selected on radar

I understand that this is the first implementation, just adding to my wish list.

Hi everyone,

and good explanation JAR. I tested it with the open beta 1.2.8, too. It's really easy. You can watch it in the video below.

+ Manpad handling: 43:30

+ SAM/ Radar handling: 45:05

wishlist:

+ multiple target track with TOR

(+ target altitude on radar?)

Hardware: Intel i5 4670K | Zalman NPS9900MAX | GeIL 16GB @1333MHz | Asrock Z97 Pro4 | Sapphire Radeon R9 380X Nitro | Samsung SSDs 840 series 120GB & 250 GB | Samsung HD204UI 2TB | be quiet! Pure Power 530W | Aerocool RS-9 Devil Red | Samsung SyncMaster SA350 24" + ASUS VE198S 19" | Saitek X52 | TrackIR 5 | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Speedlink Darksky LED | Razor Diamondback | Razor X-Mat Control | SoundBlaster Tactic 3D Rage ### Software: Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hey guys the Stingers spent this evening checking out the SAMs and our findings are filtering through to this training page:

http://www.users.on.net/~jase_ash/styled-5/styled-17/index.html

It took us a while to work out how the Iglas are targeted ;)

Nice work! Never got to the Iglas tonight. Thanks for clearing up what the dot indicator does. (Acted like blocked line of sight for me.)

Found you still have to lock to aquire. Especially for the tunga 9M, For best results go to zoom and track it in to target in the lock box if you can. (As per the real SOP's)

You guys beat me to the punch with another excellent presentation, but here is what I've found so far for those who want to see another angle on radar screen layout.

Pic1. Locked target with radar on (30mm)

01F_tunga_radar_on.jpg

Pic2. Radar off (30mm)

02F_tunga_radar_off.jpg

Pic3. Radar on with target locked and aquiring fire solution .

03F_tunga_missile_aquiring.jpg

Pic4. Radar on and tracking and locked.

05F_tunga_hit_missile.jpg

It just keeps getting better and better!

Edited by BrassEm
Fixed turret direction.
  • Like 1

wishlist

+ multiple target track with TOR

(+ target altitude on radar?)

+1 Tor should have the capability of two target tracking. Also the Tunguska is really weak with the current missile, I think this one have a laser proximity fuse, but look really weak, I only get around 20 % hit with this missile. Don't believe such result in the RL.

this is the future, when SAM and EW and other SEAD gets implemented this is where the intensive fight is going to be, .. MP with all this toys is the future..

and later real strategic and tactical decisions and all kind of ambushes at play.. imagine having your SHORADS hidding and looking at EW picture to see if any enemy bird is already in range and close by and defensive fighter planes creating trouble for the attacking..

it will become imperative to have HQ to coordinate all this or else a big wtf could happen with everybody feeling lost as to what is going on..

There is also the function to range the RADAR display. In pic1. The range indicator is 20km. Using the [Right Alt] + [-] keys and [Right Alt] + [=] keys, you can zoom the RADAR display in or out in steps of 20km, 10km and 5km. (Depending on weapons system of course. Tunga in this case. Pics to follow.)

Pic 1. RADAR for Tunga at 20km

01_radar_range_20km.jpg

Pic 2. RADAR for Tunga at 10km

02_radar_range_10km.jpg

Pic 3. RADAR for Tunga at 5km

03_radar_range_5km.jpg

Edited by BrassEm
Add pics

the issue with the tunguska is, no matter if you have a lock or not, you have to manually guide the missile to an aircraft, so it really doesnt matter if you have a radar lock or not, its even better to keep your radar off when firing missiles.

+1 Tor should have the capability of two target tracking. Also the Tunguska is really weak with the current missile, I think this one have a laser proximity fuse, but look really weak, I only get around 20 % hit with this missile. Don't believe such result in the RL.

the tunguska missile uses AFM, and its a bit screwy, meaning like all AFM missiles, it has a tendency to bleed all of its speed pretty fast.

the issue with the tunguska is, no matter if you have a lock or not, you have to manually guide the missile to an aircraft, so it really doesnt matter if you have a radar lock or not, its even better to keep your radar off when firing missiles.

the tunguska missile uses AFM, and its a bit screwy, meaning like all AFM missiles, it has a tendency to bleed all of its speed pretty fast.

Interesting. I've observed that it gets out to 3000m then strays off even under optical targeting. Keeping the RADAR off has got to be an advantage so the fast movers don't get a RWR. Or worse yet, a HARM lock.

Edited by BrassEm

Interesting. I've observed that it gets out to 3000m then strays off even under optical targeting. Keeping the RADAR off has got to be an advantage so the fast movers don't get a RWR. Or worse yet, a HARM lock.

you need to guide it in like a TOW missile, by putting the piper right on the plane, preferably with a bit of a lead and then attempting to aim at the nose.

Yes, it takes some skill in leading to target on a fast mover, mud mover is easy with TOW, but learning with practice. At what range did you find it bleed off with the AFM?

when it does turns, it bleeds speed, the issue is you cant really stop it from doing it, if you play MP, watch how the missiles fly towards player planes, they bounce around quite a lot.

also you can use mouse 3 to get a little arrow on your screen, this allows you to have constant input with a mouse, its quite nice, and even better if your mouse can change its DPI.

• 3 weeks later...
the acquisition radar is a bit aggrevating. does the OSA really need 20 seconds to obtain lock once acquired. Also tracking the elevation is difficult. How do they do it on the real system?

You can always download the sam simulator and the documentation regarding the various SAM systems and check for yourself! :joystick:

https://sites.google.com/site/samsimulator1972/home

:thumbup:

"IN ALTIS VIS ET VIRTUS"

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

the acquisition radar is a bit aggrevating. does the OSA really need 20 seconds to obtain lock once acquired. Also tracking the elevation is difficult. How do they do it on the real system?

Assuming the SAM simulator is accurate, 20 seconds is rather too long for acquiring a target that isn't jamming, maneuvering hard or at treetop height. Maybe it's a good average for the entire process of tracking and engaging a target, start to finish.

The OSA is a very simple system, where you just point the radar and match the range. Target elevation is acquired just about automatically, by setting the TV system to scan through the full range of elevations.

Of course, that's only the simple method that leaves you open to ARMs. If you had to visually acquire the target by searching with the narrow-FOV targeting TV, it could take ages to find anything.

You can always download the sam simulator and the documentation regarding the various SAM systems and check for yourself! :joystick:

https://sites.google.com/site/samsimulator1972/home

:thumbup:

Hah took your advise and gave this a shot. Yikes that was complex..... Now I have a better appreciation on how it works. 20 seconds is generous.:doh:

Need a multi crew operation for that Osa.

I was in Art of the Kill D#@ it!!!!