The damage dealt by GAR-8

Luftan

Hey, the Sabre is my first fully fidelity module I purchased. The start up, landing and flying around seems fairly easy with the help of quick start manual.

I am still learning how to operate the radio and weapon system, but here`s one question. Right now, the AI Mig15 can beat me every time even with a huge E advantage on my side. My only chance seems to be using the GAR8 from Mig`s behind before being detected.

The missile locks and tracks the target just fine, but the explosion seems to deal no damage to the enemy. One time, I fired the GAR in salvo mode, both hit within 5 meters of the Mig15 but he was still able to fly normally, get on my tail and shoot me down.

Is there any actual damage dealt with the GAR8 ? I did see that Mig15 doesnt have visual damage model yet, but I would think close hit with a missile would take him down :huh:

Check 3:30 for reference.

Thanks, and sorry about my poor English.

Did you try it against a different plane? It definitely does damage, it just seems that the MiG-15 is not very susceptible to damage at all. It can take an R-73 hit and still be combat effective. It will probably be tweaked soon in a patch.

And may I ask... how did you even get the missile to hit the MiG? For me, the GAR-8 can only hit bombers and cargo planes....

RTX 2070 8GB | 32GB DDR4 2666 RAM | AMD Ryzen 5 3600 4.2Ghz | Asrock X570 | CH Fighterstick/Pro Throttle | TM MFDs | TrackIR 5

I did try shooting at the Tu95 just now, 2 missiles both hit, but only visual damage was the fuel leak. It deals damage, just very ineffective I guess.

Did nothing special. Waited until the tone of the GAR-8 changes, and then fire. Its almost useless against high maneuvering targets.. so I try to shoot it while they are steady and slow.

As Sceptre said, it's about the MiG-15, not the GAR-8.

As for the performance of the GAR-8, I have found it to work quite well. It's after all the first operationally used heater in the world, so don't expect it to perform like an AIM-9X with JHMCS. Pull less than 3 Gs when firing it, and for locking on, I've found a good method is to cage the sight and use it as a sight for the GAR-8s, approaching a target from behind. For smaller planes, you simply have to get quite close in.

I've had no issues shooting down P-51Ds and FW-190s with the GAR-8.

GAR-8 vs L-39.

Distance ~600 meters, fully rear aspect.

One missile away, one kill.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Aorus B550 Pro | 32GB DDR4-3600 | RTX 4080 | VKB MGC Pro Gunfighter Mk III + Thustmaster TWCS + VKB T-Rudder Mk4 | HP Reverb G2

FC3 | A-10C II | Ка-50 | P-51 | UH-1 | Ми-8 | F-86F | МиГ-21 | FW-190 | МиГ-15 | Л-39 | Bf 109 | M-2000C | F-5 | Spitfire | AJS-37 | AV-8B | F/A-18C | Як-52 | F-14 | F-16 | Ми-24 | AH-64

NTTR | Normandy | Gulf | Syria | Supercarrier |

I used it three times so far. In my first try a Tu-95 took two hits and went on flying. In the second attempt I killed it with my first missile. In the third, both missiles ate flares. I guess you just have to be lucky with those early Sidewinders.

In the transport training mission, the .50 Cal's sure chewed it up.

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Just tried this missile for the first time.

Seems to do just fine against Su-25, even when they are maneuvring a bit. That is, if you can get behind them. Su-25 being as though as it is, went down with just one AIM-9B, so I guess it does damage just fine :)

I also mistakenly hit my wingman with other missile and he went down pretty quick too... While hits from R-60M missiles fired by Su-25s didn't seem to be instantly lethal on F-86. But R-60 being somewhat less lethal would be aligned with what I expect.

It does seem to damage things just fine, actually, if anything, I wonder if it is slightly too potent :)

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

these missiles where not very reliable, one of the first generation air to air weapons made.

seeker head would often lockon to the sun source, frequently dart off towards it , this also happened a lot in Vietnam.

most cases they would not even fire of the rails drop off. =duds

Edited by diveplane

It's very unreliable in several ways. We frequently fired GAR-8 missiles while pulling 4-5G and very far from rear aspect and we still score hits. Didn't think the missile was that awesome :)

i7 8700K | GTX 1080 Ti | 32GB RAM | 500GB M.2 SSD | TIR5 w/ Trackclip Pro | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Pro Flight Rudder

[sigpic]http://www.132virtualwing.org[/sigpic]