=BURNING SKIES= WWII Server

eekz

In my opinion it's critical to get a new damage model and new aircraft roles to bring some interest to DCS WW2. The 4 fighters we got are very well made but we need bombers and proper ground attack planes to be able to simulate what could look like a proper war.

Last time I checked, the B17 were still made of glass and flown by ghosts, that felt ridiculous to destroy 3 of them in one pass, like 6 months ago when I first tried it... I'm not an ace so if I can destroy 3 of these beasts so easily there IS a problem :D

There is talented mission makers around, but they can't do miracles without enough matter to work with.

I like long distance flights but you need to make it relevant and see how many players are around.

Another question, is there some AA to protect airfields now ? My last fly I just got destroyed on taxiway without any AA cover. Quite boring when we are 4 on a server, you are the only player against them and they don't let you takeoff. Result is you leave them to fly on something else. Vulching is part of the war but don't do it when there's only 1 player against you :D

Edited by akmotte

Another question, is there some AA to protect airfields now ? My last fly I just got destroyed on taxiway without any AA cover.

There is some AA on the airfields, but I guess it's only efficient on close distance and when the target is flying strictly in a straight line for a couple of seconds.

How to see all objects/triggers in onlie mission: (1) take the latest Track file from your online flight (.trk); (2) change file's extension to .miz (Mission file); (3) open the file in Mission Editor.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The AA seems to work in typical DCS fashion in that it's completely random. You can buzz around the airfield for 10 minutes straight and level and then when you start maneuvering it snipes you out of the sky. Or it sucks when in close but when you turn to leave and climb away you get killed by it. Completely unuseable but hey it's a nice 3D model right....

I don't think making a bigger map will do any good with spotting being as horrendous as it is now. Especially since you're usually hard pressed to get more than 5 or 6 players on a server.....

I also highly doubt that the release of the DM will cause a sudden massive uptick of players. Especially since there will be other options for Western front fans on the market 'soon'.

9./JG27

"If you can't hit anything, it's because you suck. If you get shot down, it's because you suck. You and me, we know we suck, and that makes it ok." - Worst person in all of DCS

"In the end, which will never come, we will all be satisifed... we must fight them on forum, we will fight them on reddit..." - Dunravin

Will update mission soon. Some of issues are already addressed, some things will be added.

For example:

1. Much better ground targets

2. Stronger AAA for sapwn airfields

3. Some steps made to small scenarios (dynamic missions)

4. Will also populate far airfield as you requested, and ppl who want use them will be able too.

5. Some one more good idea with missions that i would like to keep secret until i finish the code.

All of that I hope to push to the server on Holidays.

As for stats Vortex and me are also making further additions.

That all takes time which is limited quite frequently, and sorry again if you feel that i promise more than really implement. I know this feeling.

Some thoughts on recently dropped online numbers. Partially I agree that the case is lack of great and entertaining mission, but... some people like airquake, some people don't. There always should be reasonable balance which I try to maintain. You can't do big missions when server concurrent players number is not very big. It will seem boring for many players, but at the same time i can't go simple missions (airstart, labels, spawn-and-fight distances) for casual style players, as it doesn't really fit my vision of the server, and also will not be accepted by more hardcore players and will many will be bored by repetitive gameplay.

So in few words. Big missions are possible when players number is big, but players number is not that big these times as imo Normandy has divided the community. I do really hope that as WWII setting in DCS evolves and 2.0 Caucasus is released we'll have more active players for bigger missions.

Edited by eekz

Куплю B-17, можно B-24. B-29 не предлагать!

Burning Skies

=Burning Skies= @ Facebook

All Players getting constantly kicked when there are more then 5 People online, don't know this is the Server or the new Patch...

Once you have tasted Flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your Eyes turned Skyward.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

9./JG27

I also notice constant stuttering regardless of what graphics settings I choose. As a matter of fact, I don't experience any of this on SP. Something is fishy..

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5

I crash to the DCS main screen after different lengths of time in the server. My friends are experiencing the same issue with one saying it's happening to him in Nevada as well. Yesterday we were all dropping at the same time (3 times). Most are having the studdering issue when looking around as if the frames are dropping, even though my frame counter doesn't register a drop. These are most likely 2.2 issues and not Burning Skies.

Edited by DarkRaiderss

Some thoughts on recently dropped online numbers. Partially I agree that the case is lack of great and entertaining mission, but... some people like airquake, some people don't. .

In my experience and opinion, trying to appeal to all play styles will result in an environment that is not really very good at any of them.

I'm an avocate of building for the kind of player style that YOU want to play yourself, and not to try and please everyone. If you try to provide "something for everyone" you will end up always chasing the player numbers.

If you like air-quake, then build the best air quake environment.

If you like immersive, complex missions, then build that

If you like an environment with loads of A.I. with humans playing a supporting role then build that

If you want historical "accurarcy", then try for that

If you want a focus on ground-war support, then that...

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/philstylenz

Storm of War WW2 server website: https://stormofwar.net/

If you try to provide "something for everyone" you will end up always chasing the player numbers.

It's not about chasing numbers, it about what will be reasonably playable with the player numbers (and technical issues btw) we have in Normandy, I'm afraid. But anyway, I mostly agree with your statement.

Burning Skies

@eekz: the 1.5 version of Burning skies was a very active place. In the 2.2 version I tend to feel very lonely. I wonder whether the Integrity Checking is a reason for that. I'm using a mod from Huligan/Pato to get rid of the excessive window tint on Bf-109 and FW-190 introduced with 2.2. (also available for Mustang and and Spit from Huligan)

On 2.2 MP that causes me to fail the IC. As I don't want to fly half-blind I stay away from MP. That's a pity (at least for me)!

Wouldn't you disable IC until ED have made it less paranoid?

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

I was just about to take off on a 109 from Lingerolles, when I got some stutter and then got disconnected.

My log file show;

00301.328 ERROR   VFS: Can't open file //models/tracer_bullet_yellow.edm.json.
00301.424 ERROR   VFS: Can't open file //models/tracer_bullet_red.edm.json.
00303.569 ERROR   VFS: Can't open file //models/tracer_bullet_white.edm.json.
00303.574 ERROR   VFS: Can't open file //models/tracer_bullet_green.edm.json.
00443.945 ERROR   DCS: Error: Unit [spitfireLFMkIX]: No shell for property records XCockpitElement03 XEng0WaterPump XFuelDroptank0 XFuelLineD XUCWheelC.
00487.745 INFO    NET: disconnected: 1 
00487.845 INFO    NET: disconnected from server

looks like the old tracer_bullet....edm.json issue is causing us trouble again???

It was perhaps arround 22:08 CET

my log attached.

Logs (2).zip

Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7 | i7-8700K | 32GB DDR4 3600 | GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE | EKWB custom loop water cooling | Samsung M.2 EVO 960 500GB SSD + 2 x Crucial 250MX SSD + 4TB HD | Asus PG348Q 3440x1440 | TrackIR5 | Oculus Rift CV1 | MSFFB2 w extension + Saitek X52 Throttle + MFG Crosswind | Windows 10-64

...again, 2nd time in a row

00161.442 ERROR   VFS: Can't open file //models/tracer_bullet_yellow.edm.json.
00263.876 ERROR   VFS: Can't open file //models/tracer_bullet_red.edm.json.
00295.548 INFO    NET: disconnected: 0 
00295.648 INFO    NET: disconnected from server

Logs attached

Logs (3).zip

Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7 | i7-8700K | 32GB DDR4 3600 | GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE | EKWB custom loop water cooling | Samsung M.2 EVO 960 500GB SSD + 2 x Crucial 250MX SSD + 4TB HD | Asus PG348Q 3440x1440 | TrackIR5 | Oculus Rift CV1 | MSFFB2 w extension + Saitek X52 Throttle + MFG Crosswind | Windows 10-64

I also notice constant stuttering regardless of what graphics settings I choose. As a matter of fact, I don't experience any of this on SP. Something is fishy..

Same here. Irrespective of graphic settings constant stutter :(

Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X | i7 9700K@5.0GHz | Asus TUF OC RTX 4090 | 32GB DDR4@3200MHz | HP Reverb G2 | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Croswinds

Hey Eekz, you might find this useful for mission making:

Thanks a lot!

As for stutters and random disconnects, I'm almost sure that it's 2.2 multiplayer engine issue (as I see it on other Normandy servers, and don't see in Single Player mode). I hope for hotfix or something.

Burning Skies

Server is down for maintenance and mission update.

Estimated downtime - day or two.

Any chance of adding a few allied ships moving in the Channel - they don't have to be mission objectives or anything . . just something to find and drop bombs on for the LW guys?

And may a few RAF/ USAAF spawns over in England?

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/philstylenz

Storm of War WW2 server website: https://stormofwar.net/