DCS Mig-21 questions

Vinny002

Nah, different thing. These are channel failure warning flags for pitch ("T") and roll ("K") channels, used when landing with PRMG and SAU auto or direct modes. Don't ask me how to use them though, because so far I've been using PRMG "manually" and didn't bother to learn SAU landing modes.

Yes you are right.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My DCS Mods, Skins, Utilities and Scripts

| Windows 10 | i7-4790K | GTX 980Ti Hybrid | 32GB RAM | 3TB SSD |

| TM Warthog Stick | CH Pro Throttle + Pro Pedal | TIR5 Pro | TM MFD Cougar | Gun Camera: PrtScn |

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

sometimes when flying the Mig, usually only a few minutes after takeoff and while maneuvering I hear a loud "boom" like AAA exploding nearby (with no enemy units nearby) and the aircraft "shudders".

After this I can´t find any damages in external view, instrument readings seem ok, the Mig flies all right and my external stores are all still there.

What might that be ?

I just did a quick flight to check this out, and the "boom" and "shudder" happened.

Track is attached. I left the landing/taxi lights on on purpose, but they come off at about 9:42:00 without any sound.

Then I do a "split s" and at 9:42:46 when leveling out there´s the bang.

I watched the track once in F2 view and could hear it, but didn´t see anything...

server-20141012-185939.trk

I just did a quick flight to check this out, and the "boom" and "shudder" happened.

Now that is interesting.

The boom and shudder was definitely notable. However, nothing in game points to the reason for this.

Now let me ask you one question: Did this ever happen when you weren't using the SPRD-99 JATO rockets?

Because I think they are the reason for this problem.

After watching your track I had a look at the TacView recording, and this is what came to my eye:

attachment.php?attachmentid=105746&stc=1&d=1413136587

You can see, at 6:42:45 (the same second the boom could be heard) you were hit by your own SPRD-99 rockets. Which is strange, because you jettisoned them just after take-off.

It seems that at 6:38:45 INVALID_NAME[4.4.32.249] has been fired by you.

This seems to be the 3D model of the dropping SPRD-99s.

However while the 3D model of the SPRD-99s fell to the ground, some invisible part of it must have stayed attached to the aircraft.

Until the point where that invisible part got detached from the aircraft at 6:42:45 and hit you, with the boom and shaking as a result.

This is something Leatherneck must look at. Seems either to be an issue with the naming of some of the objects or maybe it is a workaround for something.

I have attached the TacView file for your flight.

Best regards,

Jonathan

TacView.thumb.png.0728797a554b625b34be117a2815dbc3.png

TacView.zip

Edited by xxJohnxx

Check out my YouTube: xxJohnxx

Intel i7 6800k watercooled | ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 | 32 GB RAM | Asus GTX1080 watercooled

Hi Jonathan, thank you ! Very interesting indeed !

Now that you mention it, it might indeed be possible that it only happens when using the Jato rockets, but I´m not 100% sure. Let´s say 99% sure.

After the visual effects were fixed in the last patch I use them almost every time just for the fun of it and that was when I started noticing it.

Yesterday when flying with my friend we took off anf flew in formation using jato and he had the "boom ´n shudder" a few seconds after me.

Hoping that it´s ok with you I will link to your posting in a bug report for your great investigation and explanation !

Yesterday when flying with my friend we took off anf flew in formation using jato and he had the "boom ´n shudder" a few seconds after me.

Maybe this is somewhat time related. A certain time after ejecting them the invisible part detaches or something like that?

Hoping that it´s ok with you I will link to your posting in a bug report for your great investigation and explanation !

Yes, go ahead! We need all the bugs to be fixed ;)

Check out my YouTube: xxJohnxx

Intel i7 6800k watercooled | ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 | 32 GB RAM | Asus GTX1080 watercooled

Maybe this is somewhat time related. A certain time after ejecting them the invisible part detaches or something like that?

Either that or it was because we were flying in formation and so did a maneuver that made the parts detach shortly after one another.

Allright, two questions from me:

1) When exactly should we use "Low Speed Target" radar filter. Is it for low speed relative to ground which means hight speed relative to my MiG, or low speed relative to my MiG, which means hight speed relative to ground? Both LN and real life manual, plus posts on this forum seem to be inconclusive about it :D;

2) More general, DCS related one - what do the numbers in message from AWACS mean? Eg. "117, 1, BRA, 265 for 130, at 11000, flanking" from "Interception" mission. I figured 265 was heading to target, flying at 11k, because that's where I eventually found contrail in the sky, but I have no idea about the others.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

117: your callsign

1: number of targets

BRA: target call given in bearing-range-altitude format, relative to you. (The alternative is bullseye.)

265: bearing

130: range

11000: altitude

flanking: target aspect. Cold: retreating, flanking: crossing, hot: approaching.

Black Shark, Harrier, and Hornet pilot

Many Words - Serial Fiction | Ka-50 Employment Guide | Ka-50 Avionics Cheat Sheet | Multiplayer Shooting Range Mission

Hey guys,

sometimes when flying the Mig, usually only a few minutes after takeoff and while maneuvering I hear a loud "boom" like AAA exploding nearby (with no enemy units nearby) and the aircraft "shudders".

After this I can´t find any damages in external view, instrument readings seem ok, the Mig flies all right and my external stores are all still there.

What might that be ?

I´ve not watched the track just yet.

But i have those "Booms" too. And they are not happening with the SPRD's attatched but when i go from supersonic and the Anti-Surge Doors open/closing short. Then there is the "boom" and a big plume of Smoke gets blasted out of my Engine. Noticed it only in Buster. Have to try it with reheat and slowing down with the Speedbrakes. But i dont experience any damage after that.

Modules: Well... all of 'em

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VIII Hero | CPU: i7-6700K @ 4.6GHz | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengance LPX DDR4 | GPU: GTX TITAN X (Maxwell) | SSD1: 256GB NVMe SSD System | SSD2: 250GB Games | HDD 4TB WD Red

• 2 weeks later...

Another "tactical" question. I've started to learn how to shoot down flying stuff with this thing. In "target practice" mission, I can hear AWACS plane giving me bearings towards the target, but it does so not often enough. I try to fly without labels, so obviously I cannot see sh..t, radar doesn't help much, while at the same time I'd like to avoid using F10 map to find bogeys. As a result, "target practice easy" becomes "target practice impossible" when I pass them without spotting and don't know where to look for them again :D.

Can I contact and ask AWACS fellows myself? They show up in comms menu allright, but when I hit F7, nothing happens. Is it supposed to be like that, or is it some kind of a glitch? Am I too far away to transmit but close enough to receive? How does contacting with ground control or AWACS look like in other DCS modules and FC?

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Regarding Awacs, default radio channel is 00 in most all missions I flew so far (sp and mp). Open radio comm, selects Awacs F7 and then F4 (request bogey dope). Edit: Also for quick conversion between km/miles and ft/m, you can check the reference sheet just under the ASP glass - at least I found it helpful during combat at first, until the unit conversion provided by Awacs becomes second nature.

About the "boom and aircraft shake", I experience it exclusively when taking off with SPRD-99 RATO pods. I jettison them right after retracting my LG, but as the airspeed rises, so does the whistling noise of drag (can be heard best from external view, looking from the front of AC to the back), until it reaches the point of boom&shake. After that the noise is gone. I suspect that when we drop the pods, only their 3D visual model is being dropped, while the drag/weight remains on our plane until we exceed max.airspeed or Gs, when even their "code" breaks off. That's my assumption based on experience with the pods so far.

Edited by Spectrum Legacy

Sent from my pComputer using Keyboard

Thanks for the answers. Maybe this particular target practice mission is somewhat bugged because I can transmit anything to anyone and anywhere except the damn AWACS, even though reception of their messages on channel 00 works flawlessly. Oh well, time to try the next mission.

Edited by Art-J

Alert cancelled. I've found out why my F7 wasn't working...

...yep, it as an effin' TrackIR default F7 and F8 key binding, overriding game commands. I'm glad to have it sorted!

On a sidenote, what does requesting for "home plate" mean? Is it vector to my homebase? What about a "picture"? A reply "picture - single group at bullseye 089 for 5 at 20000" might as well be written in chinese, 'cause I don't understand a word of it :D.

Edited by Art-J

Hi, guys!

I'm not 100% sure, how do I get the HUD in the DCS Mig-21 to work and what kind of HUD modes does the DCS Mig-21 HUD have? Thanks!

Cheers,

Vincent

HUD is a big word für the ASP. You just turn on the pipper with CU23 (right side of the ASP) and you turn on the fixed net with CU22 (bottom of the ASP. That are all "modes" that exist.

Or, if you like, you can see the different settings for how the pipper behaves for employing the different weapons as "modes". Those are controlled by the varous other switches located around the ASP. But for that I strongly advise that you read it up in the manual, chapter Weapon Systems / Aiming Interface.