How do real A-10 Pilots ID targets for the Maverick?

How do real A-10 pilots ID targets for Maverick missile launch? This question comes because when I am playing the game, I usually try to shoot my K's at around 2.5-3.0 miles, and my D's at around 7.0 miles. At these ranges, the targets appear as little dots in the Maverick missile camera in the cockpit. I can't tell if I am shooting a pickup truck, BMP, Shilka, a burnt out T-80, friendly, ect.

I'm thinking it would be very hazardous to one's health to do a fly-by for visual ID, especially if you are trying to destroy a Shilka or something of that nature. The most important aspect of the Maverick would be wasted (stand-off range). Are the Maverick optics/game graphics in our cockpit not accurate or not magnified enough? If my gaming experience with the Mavericks was inidicative of real life, and I was the enemy commander, I would put decoy boxes about the size of a BMP or tank all over the place and make the A-10's waste all their Mavericks (at least the K's) and not be the wiser.

So, what do real A-10 pilots do?

BTW, here is a picture of a BMP locked on at at 2.7 miles. Note, it's about one pixel in size (this was taken at 1152x864 resolution)

Locked.jpg

1. Someone tells them

2. They go in and check it out ahead of time (Usually a FAC/AFAC will call you in on the target though)

3. OA-10 AFACs and even non-AFAC qualified A-10's use gyro-stabilized x12mag binocs.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

I talked to an A-10 pilot at an airshow and they usually do not use the cursor to lockup a target. Not enough time to do that in most cases, so they do a pop-up attack once the target is identified. The A-10's monitor can do higher resolution, so id is not a problem. If I recall the setting for this type of targeting is called "Bullzeye".

Also, when I used to fly Falcon SP4, our online squadron had an exclusive patch that would allow better resolution and closer targeting than was programmed in the original sim. With Falcon AF, there is no such patch as of now. The patch was going to be used when Falcon 4.0 Gold was in development, but that's a long story.

.. and off course, AGM-65G/G2 and AGM-65H/K have way better magnification than what is here provided :)

Also, I believe the Pave penny laser tracker (its not a ranger I guess) is capable of detecting laser reflections of ground-based FAC units.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

the enemy commander, I would put decoy boxes about the size of a BMP or tank all over the place and make the A-10's waste all their Mavericks (at least the K's) and not be the wiser.

This is from my understaning a common defence against the mav.

The Serbs used T-34's form my understaning.

:pilotfly:

K's aren't used on Tanks if they can help it. D's are better (lighter, and not meant to blow up entire buildings - just tanks)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

the enemy commander, I would put decoy boxes about the size of a BMP or tank all over the place and make the A-10's waste all their Mavericks (at least the K's) and not be the wiser.

This is from my understaning a common defence against the mav.

The Serbs used T-34's form my understaning.

:pilotfly:

Yup... those and british inflatable targets... for added pleasure just add a Yugo engine inside... their cheep, hot and not good in cars anyway :D

Never forget that World War III was not Cold for most of us.

As a fellow Hog driver, I feel your pain. And since your question seems to touch on the issue of identifying targets in the game, I have a couple of thoughts to offer.

First, identifying non-moving objects scattered around, as opposed to convoys and advancing armor, is tough.

One solution that simulates a real-life answer is to put target diamonds on some of the enemy vehicles as though you have spotters on the ground with laser designaters.

Another solution, the one I have gone to for the most part, is to load up at least one or two "D" model IR Mavericks just so you can use the 6x magnification, and the zoom-in feature on the display screen, to ID targets.

It's tricky, but with practice, you can identify a target with some margin of safety.

Of course, this method requires you to also keep an eye on the RWR to keep track of the Shilkas and Tunguskas as you fly in, and to keep your ears tuned to the radio for a launch warning from your wingman and the sound the on-board warning system makes when it detects an IR-missile launch - which, tragically, it does not always detect.

Actually, if you can grow at least one more ear and maybe another eye or two, this system would be a lot more workable.

And, perhaps most importantly to this method, you should learn the local language.

:)

Ideally, any SA threat is eliminated by fast movers. Then the A-10s have a field day.

Although it's not out of the realm of possiblity for a single ship to fly over the target area to root out an SA threat.

Dave "Hawg11" St. Jean

What do the gyrostabilised binos look like?

They're regular binoculars mounted on a gyro-stabilized arm, so you can very smoothly/steadily watch the intended area.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thats not what a lot of people think. Two blue on blues in the space of 15 years by A-10s

Those are ones that got in the news alot more happend in the Gulf War 1

One was fired at a british Warrior that didnt go off, it hit the front of the tank split the armour and inbeded its self into the engine and only one injury the driver had his legs broke by impact. And few more like that ;)

rzsig.jpg

http://www.666th.co.uk :joystick:

Those are ones that got in the news alot more happend in the Gulf War 1

One was fired at a british Warrior that didnt go off, it hit the front of the tank split the armour and inbeded its self into the engine and only one injury the driver had his legs broke by impact. And few more like that ;)

An A-10 also fired a Maverick at an SAS landrover during the Gulf War(part of Victor 22) lucky it missed:joystick: .

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

How do real A-10 pilots ID targets for Maverick missile launch? This question comes because when I am playing the game, I usually try to shoot my K's at around 2.5-3.0 miles, and my D's at around 7.0 miles. At these ranges, the targets appear as little dots in the Maverick missile camera in the cockpit. I can't tell if I am shooting a pickup truck, BMP, Shilka, a burnt out T-80, friendly, ect.

I'm thinking it would be very hazardous to one's health to do a fly-by for visual ID, especially if you are trying to destroy a Shilka or something of that nature. The most important aspect of the Maverick would be wasted (stand-off range). Are the Maverick optics/game graphics in our cockpit not accurate or not magnified enough? If my gaming experience with the Mavericks was inidicative of real life, and I was the enemy commander, I would put decoy boxes about the size of a BMP or tank all over the place and make the A-10's waste all their Mavericks (at least the K's) and not be the wiser.

So, what do real A-10 pilots do?

BTW, here is a picture of a BMP locked on at at 2.7 miles. Note, it's about one pixel in size (this was taken at 1152x864 resolution)

To add to the realism you can also make the targets visible on the map or F10 view. Or in particular the group of targets you intend to attack, you must also make the A-10s visible on the map as well in order for it to be effective. You can add to this 1 pilot as FAC carrying smoke and everyone else carrying a normal load.(this can also help teaching new pilots when you don't want labels used)

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

Guest IguanaKing
Two more words :Trigerhappy ignorance :doh:

Yup, ignorance on the part of whoever told that British armor to go into the A-10s kill box. Maybe they didn't know what a kill box was either. We won't get into the blue on blue between two Brit armored units in OIF. :P