KA50 Slingload?

Reaper6

Would be great if there was a mod to perform sling loads in the KA50! Anyone know if there is already a mod out there? There is a button on the collective for sling load and indicator switch on rear panel.

"De oppresso liber"

NZXT Phantom Full Tower, Intel Core i7 4960X Processor(6x 3.60GHz/15MB L3Cache) 20% Overclocking, 64GB DDR3-2133 Memory, NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan Black-6GB SLI Mode(Dual Cards), Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 Motherboard, ViewSonic PJD5132 SVGA Multi-Region 3D Ready Portable DLP Projector, Track IR 5, Thrustmaster Warthog, Cougar MFDs.

Sling load for the Ka-50 is a great idea. Having plenty of fun with the Huey & the Mi-8 in this way.

Some additional weapon selection would be good too, like the R-73 for some A2A defence.

I'd like to see some more of the Su-25T's armoury in the Ka-50, like the TV guided bombs & missiles, after all the Ka-50 already has the "Shkval" TV targeting system built into it.

This Discussion and requests will lead into nothing ;)

Just saying

Why?

1. Because those things and ideas came up here Years ago.

2. Because DCS Simulates ONE special KA-50 of this 16 or so ever build.

If that abilitys/systems are not simulated in DCS this ONE special KA-50

does not have that ability or system.

"Blyat Naaaaa" - Izlom

Just saying

Why?

There will be no new feature added to this module. You should keep your energy to make sure ED is correcting the remaining bugs with the Ka50.

I think the OP wasn't requesting a new feature, rather looking for a mod allowing slingload.

Yeah I was just thinking maybe us black shark pilots could put our heads together and make it happen. In the manual there is a (“ГРУЗ” Sling load button - No function.) and (SL HOOK OPEN Warning Lamp) and (“ТРОС – ОТКЛ” Stabilization of sling load suspension cable - Off switch. No function.).

So the switches are in place maybe there is a way to insert the code from the huey or Mi8?

Just a thought...

"De oppresso liber"

NZXT Phantom Full Tower, Intel Core i7 4960X Processor(6x 3.60GHz/15MB L3Cache) 20% Overclocking, 64GB DDR3-2133 Memory, NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan Black-6GB SLI Mode(Dual Cards), Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 Motherboard, ViewSonic PJD5132 SVGA Multi-Region 3D Ready Portable DLP Projector, Track IR 5, Thrustmaster Warthog, Cougar MFDs.

I fear, such a mod is not possible. Sling loads alter the flight behaviour quite a bit, but the BS flight model is not designed or prepared for that. The necessary code is just not implemented.

So perhaps it would be possible to utilize the cockpit switches somehow and perhaps one could come up with some 3d model magic that attaches a cargo model under the helo, it all would be static. Adding the weight of the cargo would work, but all the dynamic swinging and how it affects the helo would not be possible to implement for us, "from the outside", I fear.

I think the OP wasn't requesting a new feature, rather looking for a mod allowing slingload.

I think your right.

I have already modified the Ka-50 to carry other weapons but cannot yet get the TV guided Kh-29T to function. Probably as the Ka-50 would need some of the "avionics" of the Su-25 to do so.

I'm not sure but I bet someone will make it happen at some point, but I too doubt if it would be ED.

Just saying

Why?

What are you, some kind of headmaster? :) Of course I am joshing you! I did not know this was modeled after a particular Ka-50. I know they were limited in production. Such a beautiful aircraft. I do remember the discussion back in 2010 about sling loads. There are mods out there to add certain weapons. I can carry AGM-114s on mine but they do not work very well.

Take care!

hey guys...

have you tried the simplest thing of just trying it???...I DID..

your prayers have been heard....you can just hover above a cargo and it hooks it up to your beloved kamov ka-50....only thing i have to find out now is how to unhook it...thats where the controls would come in handy i think...but im on it.

if i find out anything more ill tell you here :thumbup:

• Like 2

your prayers have been heard....you can just hover above a cargo and it hooks it up to your beloved kamov ka-50....only thing i have to find out now is how to unhook it...thats where the controls would come in handy i think...but im on it.

LOLWUT?! ED implemented this feature and didn't even tell anyone? :D

Well, I can definitely confirm it works.

However I haven't been able to figure out how to unhook it, either. The joystick input file doesn't contain the terms "cargo", "hook" and "sling". I guess that's WIP.

How does it fly with the load attached?

For starters, I had a light load of 300kg on an otherwise empty Black Shark and I couldn't really tell it was there. The effect of sling loads, even light ones, seems much more pronounced with the Huey. But without further testing, I can't tell whether the effect is not yet modeled for the Ka-50 or it's just much less pronounced.

Somehow I can't get the cargo comms menu to show up ...?

And regarding the FM - maybe try with a heavier load. The BS itself is heavier than the Huey, iirc, and the inertia of it might mask the relative light load of 300kg (on an otherwise clean helo; alone two S-8 pods weight already more?)

Somehow I can't get the cargo comms menu to show up ...?

Does it work in the test mission I uploaded in the screenshots thread? That's where I took the screenshots. It's the most simple mission I could come up with - one Ka-50 and one cargo.

And regarding the FM - maybe try with a heavier load. The BS itself is heavier than the Huey, iirc, and the inertia of it might mask the relative light load of 300kg (on an otherwise clean helo; alone two S-8 pods weight already more?)

Sounds plausible, I just didn't try heavier loads yet.

Does it work in the test mission I uploaded in the screenshots thread? That's where I took the screenshots. It's the most simple mission I could come up with - one Ka-50 and one cargo.

Sounds plausible, I just didn't try heavier loads yet.

Cargo menu works now ... just missed a check box when placing the cargo...

Tried it with 2 t cargo - I think, it does affect the helo in some ways. But I am unsure if what I saw is realistic. I got the cargo to swing back and forth and I could see the helo changed speed accordingly (swing forward = + 3-4 kts, swing backward = - 3-4 kts). But no pitch change or something like that. But, don't know, the cargo is hooked directly at the COG, so ...

But I, too, would somehow have expected the effects to be a tad bit more pronounced.

Also notable: the cable has the pivot point ("hook") inside the fuselage and is not visibly attached to any hook mechanism. I always was under the impression the BS had a visible cargo hook, but somehow I could not find it now ...

Well, VERY interesting finding. But atm I am not yet convinced that this is actually an intended feature. :o)

I am not yet convinced that this is actually an intended feature.

But what if it is? Hey, maybe the Shark is finally going to get some long overdue and much-needed love in the future again :thumbup:

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

Well..didnt find a way go unhook it yet...

But as to realism...have you tried it with th autopilots turned off?..those dampeners are quite mighty. I tried it with a 5 ton cargo...vertically up?..NO chance..but when u drag it behind you and get up to speed you can lift it...but what happened when i tried to do a turn seemed quite realistic: totally uncontrollable banking and pitching. I think it is simulated relatively realistic.

• Like 1

hey guys...

I want to give you a big hug right now! +1

"De oppresso liber"