DCS: F-14A/A+/B by Heatblur Simulations coming to DCS World!

Cobra847

Oh I'm fully aware of that. But the Grom can't work with the Sapphire radar, and the changes to the F-14 were minor for AMRAAM integration, it was only a budgetary reason they didn't get them. So I'm hoping we get another gameplay exception. :thumbup:

If they were so minor, they wouldn't have been expensive and thus subject to budgetary cuts ;)

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

I'm prefer to use aim-54 with 60kg high-explosive warhead to bloom them to pieces, rather than the aim-120 with lack of TNT.

Much equivalent, much better.

LOL

Me to. F-14 is the fighter that I have been waiting for my whole flight sim carier. So... effective phoenix or not, more maneuverable than F-15 or not, it will be the jet I will be flying all the time when it's going to be realised.

Edited by dekiplav

I'm all for keeping aircraft arsenals real. And I hope stretching those arsenals for community's taste won't become a trend.

In Grom's case, I am just barely ok with it, like by a hair or so (and originally I recall dev team wanted to cut it but community asked for it). While the Bis apparently didn't, at least some MiG-21 did infact use it. But even that is a stretch and I'd be ok with it if it was cut.

Why does aircraft modules have to be multiplayer winners anyway? People are persistently, and more or less succesfully flying even MiG-21 in 104th, I'd imagine the Tomcat would do rather fine with Sidewinders, Sparrows and Phoenix.

Asking the 120 so it could be great in multiplayer fragfest deatmatch is about as relevant to sim as asking Tie Fighter lasers on Bf-109 in my opinion.

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

I'm prefer to use aim-54 with 60kg high-explosive warhead to bloom them to pieces, rather than the aim-120 with lack of TNT.

Much equivalent, much better.

LOL

Yeah and nothing link giving some poor mig a missile threat warning from 90 miles out! :holloween:

DCS F/A-18C :sorcerer:

I want an ultra-detailed, ultra-realistic simulator, but it doesn't hurt or bother me if others want more flexibility. As long as I can fly the way I want, why should it bother me if someone wants AMRAAM on their aircraft? Whoever is hosting the mission should be able to program in the reality or lack thereof they want, and whoever doesn't like the results doesn't have to play on that server.

The more flexibility a sim offers, the wider the audience, which is generally a good thing. I only get upset when the mainstream audience starts dictating that the features I like should be ignored or disabled so that more time and money are focused on the ones they like.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

That's incorrect. The reality check can't be programmed into the mission, so any flexibility should be left to a user mod.

So fly however you like, but do things that aren't realistic as a user mod, not as a default offer.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

If they were so minor, they wouldn't have been expensive and thus subject to budgetary cuts ;)

Minor =/= cheap, especially when planes are concerned ;)

I'm getting this module regardless, and I will adore it even if it doesn't have AMRAAMs, but I feel it's a conversation worth having. It would represent a drastic upgrade in firepower, and would make the F-14 a totally viable alternative to the F-15 and SU-27.

If not, it either becomes a Phoenix slinger, and I think we can all agree that probably isn't a great thing (Think about it, Pilots flying along and suddenly dieing because F-14s orbiting above their airfield are just lobbing missiles across the map), in fact I bet most servers remove Phoenixes from their airfields in short order. Then it becomes a short ranged brawler, because you can't use a Sparrow to fight someone with fire and forget missiles. That means sacrificing your incredible radar because you need to get the jump on the enemy to be effective, which means flying in the weeds. It'll wind up being a super MiG-21, and while some pilots have had luck ambushing people, you can't tell me it's a viable alternative to the F-15 or SU-27.

None of that applies of course for coop style missions, ground attack missions or servers that cut out AMRAAMs, but in terms of multiplayer fighter on fighter combat, i think it's worth thinking about.

Again, at the end of the day, I don't feel too strongly either way, I do lean a bit towards integrating the AMRAAM on the B model, but i totally sympathize with people wanting a simulation of actual demonstrated capability, rather than easily obtainable capability included as well.

Minor =/= cheap, especially when planes are concerned ;)

I'm getting this module regardless, and I will adore it even if it doesn't have AMRAAMs, but I feel it's a conversation worth having. It would represent a drastic upgrade in firepower, and would make the F-14 a totally viable alternative to the F-15 and SU-27.

If not, it either becomes a Phoenix slinger, and I think we can all agree that probably isn't a great thing (Think about it, Pilots flying along and suddenly dieing because F-14s orbiting above their airfield are just lobbing missiles across the map), in fact I bet most servers remove Phoenixes from their airfields in short order.

None of that applies of course for servers that cut out AMRAAMs.

I see your point, but I also think that the Phoenix is a worthy alternative to the AMRAAM. It has drawbacks, its older, heavier, and may not be as resistant to ECM (depending on how things are modeled - the AIM-54C was developed only a couple years before the AIM-120A).

However, it has a huge warhead and a lot more range. There are those who may be tempted to remove it from servers, but it would look a bit cowardly (AMRAAMs are fine because my F-15 or Hornet can carry them, but I don't like my opponent having a weapon with more range). It would be a frank admission to the superiority of the weapon system despite it's age. And while they are at it, why not outlaw the R-27ER?

I don't think that the Tomcat-Phoenix system will be totally unmanageable for it's opponents and I don't think its worth integrating a weapon that the Tomcat never used. However, we'll see what LNS decides to do.

Plus, we can always work out those rules after the release. ;)

-Nick

Some good points on both sides.

In my personal opinion, most planes (but the F-14 more so then most) work best in complex simulated environments. Such that closely resemble real life scenarios. Be it co-op or not, if there are multiple objectives, groups, plane types and support, then everyone will have a good time.

One on one air to air? I would only recommend this for training purposes and guns only dogfights, in which it will all be (as always) up to skill and luck :)

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

That's incorrect. The reality check can't be programmed into the mission, so any flexibility should be left to a user mod.

So fly however you like, but do things that aren't realistic as a user mod, not as a default offer.

DCS MiG-21bis already violates that precept allowing weapons carried by earlier MiG-21s, but never employed by the bis.

F-15As carried AIM-9Js until the AIM-9L was available, but I don't recall any F-15Cs carrying AIM-9Ps in any photo I have ever seen... Yes DCS F-15C can carry AIM-9P.

So there are already precedents for being "flexible". Early F-14As could carry bombs even though they only did so during tests (same as F-15As). Are game limitations in loadout based on physical, demonstrated capability or deployment policies?

Anything that enhances gameplay in a way that will make more people happy (and possibly draw in more DCS customers who are less than hard core addicts) at no cost to my ability to enjoy full-blown hard core realism is OK with me. Of course, ED and to a lesser extent third parties like Leatherneck are free to choose what they think is the best course. As they are for the time being the only hard core game in town to truly support jet air combat, I have no other choice than to accept their decisions.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Then you sit there and accept their decisions, I'm going to do whatever I can to make sure that 'full blown hard core realism' isn't impacted for people other than just you. :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

• 2 weeks later...
Just a question:

When I have no friends online to fly with me in the tomcat, does the aircraft require 2 people at all time or can it be flown fully functional with just 1 pilot?

If you join the teamspeak of a multiplayer server like the 104th, there are usually people that want to fly with you. Probably people that want to be a RIO aswell ones the f-14 is out, I would. Otherwise take the ai RIO

• 3 weeks later...
Listen while you read...

WTF! After 4 months this video is blocked due to music copyright issues by the Gema? :furious:

Have to find another cool F-14 video to survive the waiting time for the Tomcat.

i9 9900K @ 5,0GHz | 1080GTX | 32GB RAM | 256GB, 512GB & 1TB Samsung SSDs | TIR5 w/ Track Clip | Virpil T-50 Stick with extension + Warthog Throttle | MFG Crosswind pedals | Gametrix 908 Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

WTF! After 4 months this video is blocked due to music copyright issues by the Gema? :furious:

Have to find another cool F-14 video to survive the waiting time for the Tomcat.

When I need an F-14 fix, I go watch Top Gun or The Final Countdown.

Frisco1522

• Like 1

Mighty Wings has kept me awake in the early morning many many times now lol! Gotta love stereotypical late 80's keyboard in there....

• Like 2

Specs:

Fractal Design Define R5 Black, ASUS ROG Strix Z370-E, Intel Core i5-8600K Coffee Lake @ 5.1 GHz, MSI GeForce GTX 1080ti 11GB 352-Bit GDDR5X, Corsair H110i, G.Skill TridentZ 32GB (2x16GB), Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB SSD

Mighty Wings has kept me awake in the early morning many many times now lol! Gotta love stereotypical late 80's keyboard in there....

I just discovered Through the Fire the other day. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B17RclyxQHg

Wikipedia says its not in the movie, but when they are all in the locker rooms and the "Below the hard deck does not count" is on, its there. Barely.

This music is going to be a requirement when flying the F-14. I can feel it. :music_whistling:

Frisco1522