DCS: F-14A/A+/B by Heatblur Simulations coming to DCS World!

Cobra847

Yes you will get the engines, if you look at the renders you can see the nozzles are from the updated version

IAF.Tomer

My Rig:

Core i7 6700K + Corsair Hydro H100i GTX

Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7,G.Skill 32GB DDR4 3000Mhz

Gigabyte GTX 980 OC

Samsung 840EVO 250GB + 3xCrucial 275GB in RAID 0 (1500 MB/s)

Asus MG279Q | TM Warthog + Saitek Combat Pedals + TrackIR 5

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hey guys, just saw this yesterday. For those of you who can not wait till Dec for the possible Beta version, Aerosoft finally released their version of the B model. Looks good but I know without a shadow of a doubt LN will smoke this one.

One thing I REALLY hope LN models well is the CAT launch from the carrier. Being a former Navy guy, I hate seeing cat launches look so slow and smooth, such as the one in this video. I really hope they catch the strength and speed at witch you are thrown from the deck. It will make our Rift experiences awesome and just add that much more detail. Until LN blows our mind, here is a couple video of the Aersoft F14 for FSX.

Cool. Startup doesn't seem to bad and neither does launching an AIM-54. That is assuming it's accurate of course. As for cat launches, that's something ED is working on, not LNS. Our F-14 will likely be purely land based for a year or two after release while we await ED's F/A-18C with revised carriers.

Hey guys, just saw this yesterday. For those of you who can not wait till Dec for the possible Beta version, Aerosoft finally released their version of the B model. Looks good but I know without a shadow of a doubt LN will smoke this one.

One thing I REALLY hope LN models well is the CAT launch from the carrier. Being a former Navy guy, I hate seeing cat launches look so slow and smooth, such as the one in this video. I really hope they catch the strength and speed at witch you are thrown from the deck. It will make our Rift experiences awesome and just add that much more detail. Until LN blows our mind, here is a couple video of the Aersoft F14 for FSX.

Yes, the Aerosoft F-14A and B are really nice P3D/FSX aircraft. I highly recommend them! They have distinct personalities, the TF30s add a lot of challenge to normal flights vs the F110.

It is the only P3D (which I use)/FSX aircraft that I have flown that really "feels right" (though I've only flown 4 after market aircraft), challenging but rewarding flight model without any apparent scripted behavior. Really wonderful to fly and outstanding exterior model (though less detailed than the LNS renders - the Aerosoft shape looks more or less perfect to my eyes).

I think that the compressors stalls might be slightly over-modeled - mostly in that their should be more coughs, RPM hangs, and spontaneous stall recoveries (based on what I've read). In the Aerosoft version, all stalls seem to lead to flameouts, even with quick action for recovery. There also things that can lead to bilateral stalls, which seem very rare from my readings. I'm very interested to see how LNS approaches this part, I think that DCS gives more opportunities to model complex engine behavior - but I could be wrong. Hopefully, LNS can model more than just the flameouts, but I'll take what I can get. :)

Here is a screenshot, showing the excellent exterior model. The skin was done my Woogey, who posts on this board as well. Excellent work, as you can see :)

VF-114_NH101-2.jpg

-Nick

Didn't the F-14A have a different cockpit than the A+/B?

Is this not the F-14A cockpit?

F14A+Cockpit.jpg

And this not the A+/B?

f-14bcocpit.jpg

Link to my Imgur screenshots and motto

http://imgur.com/a/Gt7dF

One day in DCS... Vipers will fly along side Tomcats... Bugs with Superbugs, Tiffy's with Tornado's, Fulcrums with Flankers and Mirage with Rafales...

:)The Future of DCS is a bright one:)

Well, on B they installed a new HUD instead of A's being projected right onto the windscreen and ALR-67 indicator was added (you can see it on that photo on the right). F-14A had only threat warning lights. There might be more changes, only those two I can remember...

And by the way, that second photo has no improved HUD but it does have RWR, so it might be early A+ before they fitted HUDs... but now I'm guessing, I'll consult my books :P

Edited by GeorgeLKMT

ohhhhh then what's the difference between the two cockpits?

The F-14A and F-14A+/B cockpits were essentially identical, save for the addition of an RWR in the early 90s (F-14A displayed this data on the HSI - F-14A+ added an additional RWR screen just right of the VDI for full-time threat alerts). The F-14A+ was really just the F-14A with F110 engines and a slightly better ECM package that was retrofitted to fleet F-14As in the 1990s (along with the improved NACA-type gunvents - retrofit completed by 92 or 93).

There would be several incremental updates to both the F-14A and F-14B over the years. The F-14B redesignated from F-14A+ around 1993 to better integrate with the Navy's electronic maintenance/parts tracking/inventory system - no airframe changes were part of the name change.

These incremental changes included a huge MFD display in lieu of the RIO "Fishbowl display". F-14Bs that received this upgrade with full LANTIRN capability were called "F-14B Upgrade" while the F-14As were called "F-14A". The F-14Bs received the modification first around 1996, the F-14As followed suit around 1997 or 98. Nearly all F-14 upgrades were applied to both the F-14A and F-14B, with the timing more squadron/deployment dependent than type dependent.

The one upgrade that was F-14B only was the addition of the Sparrowhawk HUD. This was an "off-the-shelf" HUD system retrofitted to F-14Bs starting around 2000 (testing finished in 1999). It offered HUD functions comparable to the F-14D - a big upgrade over the simplified (though functional for an analog machine) HUD of the F-14A. It also allowed for better NVG integration. Most squadrons received the new HUD between 2001 and 2003 - most squadrons only had it for for 1 or 2 deployments before the Tomcat retired. Of note, the Aerosoft F-14B depicts the cockpit with the Sparrowhawk HUD.

One interesting bit of Tomcat trivia. The original F-14A HUD was not very compatible with NVG goggles due to a reflective coating placed on the inside of the windscreen. This replaced the function of the separate combiner on most HUDs. The system worked well, except that sunlight coming from the 6-oclock position would really obscure the view (like driving directly east with the sunsetting in your rearview mirror). Also, the windshield would distort slightly at speeds above Mach 1.6 (which Tomcats really could reach somewhat routinely), making it hard to read.

Here is a picture showing the reflective coating on the front windscreen. Notice that the top of the center windscreen is slightly lighter appearing than the lower half.

1600px-F-14A_VF-74_towed_on_USS_Saratoga_%28CV-60%29_1986.JPEG

Once you notice it, you'll see it in nearly every front aspect photo.

Best,

Nick

Didn't the F-14A have a different cockpit than the A+/B?

Is this not the F-14A cockpit?

F14A+Cockpit.jpg

And this not the A+/B?

f-14bcocpit.jpg

The lower photo is the F-14A+/B cockpit with the RWR.

This is the F-14A cockpit:

f14-detail-cp-a-pilot.jpg

Exactly the same except for the RWR. The F-14A cockpit has VHF/UHF radio frequency readouts that are more spaced apart and occupy the place that the RWR was later fitted.

-Nick

Great balls of fire ... (groan lol).

No really, I'm totally looking forward to this jet! However I won't go into any vulgar displays of enthusiasm until after I've performed the air-brake test to validate the Tomcat's flight fidelity.

Just a FYI, I should be able to slam on the airbrakes on the F-14 and ANY jet that's tailing me will be forced to overshoot me.

There is documented evidence in the public domain of this, so LNS should have no difficulty recreating same.

Cheers,

P.S. Are you modelling Goose .. or do we need to cook our own .. and if we already are one, can we still be the front seat guy?

Edited by Teapot
  • Like 1

"A true 'sandbox flight sim' requires hi-fidelity flyable non-combat utility/support aircraft."

Wishlist Terrains - Bigger maps

Wishlist Modules - A variety of utility aircraft to better reflect the support role. E.g. Flying the Hornet ... big yawn ... flying a Caribou on a beer run to Singapore? Count me in. Extracting a Recon Patrol from a hastily prepared landing strip at a random 6 figure grid reference? Now yer talking!

No really, I'm totally looking forward to this jet! However I won't go into any vulgar displays of enthusiasm until after I've performed the air-brake test to validate the Toncat's flight fidelity.

Just a FYI, I should be able to slam on the airbrakes on the F-14 and ANY jet that's tailing me will be forced to overshoot me.

There is documented evidence in the public domain of this, so LNS should have no difficulty recreating same.

Cheers,

P.S. Are you modelling Goose .. or do we need to cook our own .. and if we already are one, can we still be the front seat guy?

:lol:

PC:

6600K @ 4.5 GHz, 12GB RAM, GTX 970, 32" 2K monitor.

No really, I'm totally looking forward to this jet! However I won't go into any vulgar displays of enthusiasm until after I've performed the air-brake test to validate the Toncat's flight fidelity.

Cheers,

Airbrake will extend only when throttle is set to FULL AB. Intuitive as hell. :thumbup:

I think that the compressors stalls might be slightly over-modeled - mostly in that their should be more coughs, RPM hangs, and spontaneous stall recoveries (based on what I've read). In the Aerosoft version, all stalls seem to lead to flameouts, even with quick action for recovery. There also things that can lead to bilateral stalls, which seem very rare from my readings. I'm very interested to see how LNS approaches this part, I think that DCS gives more opportunities to model complex engine behavior - but I could be wrong. Hopefully, LNS can model more than just the flameouts, but I'll take what I can get. :)

-Nick

Yoo got that too? I thought it was just me. I mean they stall at the first cough as well. There were supposed to be navy guys that worked as testers and consultants on this one, but maybe it's just engine limitations.

BTW, i agree completely with you. This is probably the first "fighter" for FSX that seams to fly and "feel" like a fighter. A stark contrast with the IRIS's F-14 of few years ago, that flew like an ax.... an ax submerged in water.....

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

Yoo got that too? I thought it was just me. I mean they stall at the first cough as well. There were supposed to be navy guys that worked as testers and consultants on this one, but maybe it's just engine limitations.

BTW, i agree completely with you. This is probably the first "fighter" for FSX that seams to fly and "feel" like a fighter. A stark contrast with the IRIS's F-14 of few years ago, that flew like an ax.... an ax submerged in water.....

We seem to agree on a lot of things :).

I don't know what FSX/P3D allows to be modeled, but it seems that RPM hangs, coughs, and spontaneous recoveries are not available. I'm not aware of any FSX aircraft having these.

I do appreciate the stall modeling that they have and the modeling of engine fires from mishandled relights/stall corrections. I just think that it could be better with a more versatile base program...aka DCS!

I was reading a passage by Hoser concerning a visit by then Secretary of the Navy, John Lehmann. He described a flight with a BFM demonstration and a series of 3 loud/obvious compressor stalls that quickly resolved and "didn't require a knock-off or loss of position". No such thing exists in the Aerosoft F-14, any compressor stall requires placing the aircraft into a dive and proceeding with a relight. This is the stuff that hopefully LNS can better integrate into the model.

I think the actual flight modeling/behavior is excellent and I doubt that the LNS version will feel too different, mostly because the Aerosoft version seems about perfect from my readings. John Cagle really knocked that one out of the park!

If the LNS version has better engine modeling with similar (or slightly better) flight dynamics, I will be a VERY HAPPY man.

-Nick

I think the actual flight modeling/behavior is excellent and I doubt that the LNS version will feel too different, mostly because the Aerosoft version seems about perfect from my readings. John Cagle really knocked that one out of the park!

If the LNS version has better engine modeling with similar (or slightly better) flight dynamics, I will be a VERY HAPPY man.

-Nick

Me too. High levels of authenticity are always welcome and considering the base engine is already designed for fighter jets, it should do even better :)

BTW, I just love how the Aerosoft version handles. Both behind the deck and in the air. From high speed intercepts to violent ACM. It's a handful to handle and not for the faint of heart, but making it do what you want it to do brings a lot of satisfaction and the feeling that time spent mastering it, is not time wasted.

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

Me too. High levels of authenticity are always welcome and considering the base engine is already designed for fighter jets, it should do even better :)

BTW, I just love how the Aerosoft version handles. Both behind the deck and in the air. From high speed intercepts to violent ACM. It's a handful to handle and not for the faint of heart, but making it do what you want it to do brings a lot of satisfaction and the feeling that time spent mastering it, is not time wasted.

Yes, satisfying is definitely the right word! It's huge fun to fly, because it challenges and rewards. Simple tasks can entertain for a long time. Just learning the pattern and doing FCLP occupied many hours, having done it, landing anything in DCS seems fairly straight-forward (except the TF-51...:joystick: )

I think this is one of the best aircraft that could come to DCS. Not because it's the best at everything (though it is really versatile), but because it will be endlessly entertaining and virtual pilots will really have their hands full for a long time. Just what you want in a simulator - IMHO.

-Nick

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to quote a very inspiring young man who said "Take my M@%$ing Money!"

And now a little crowd pleaser

Cue up the sad Country Music...

I'll give you my wife

and all of my dough

I'll give you my Dog

and throw in my truck

Just give me the Cat

With a RIO in the back

And I will never, Eveeer!

be leaving my SHACK

Yeeehaw !!!

Oh my god, yes! Haven't been looking much at the Forum lately, but now I see this! Can't wait!

I must say I'd have preferred the D version, but A or B is also fine. At least there will finally be a Tomcat to fly!

• ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X CODE, Intel Core i7 8700K, Kingston HyperX Predator RGB DDR4-2933 32GB, Gainward GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Phoenix GS (11GB), Samsung NVMe SSD 970 PRO 1TB, Win 7 Pro x64 SP1
  • ASUS Z87-Deluxe (C2), Intel Core i7 4770K, Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3-1600 32GB, Gainward GeForce GTX 1080 Phoenix GLH (8GB), Samsung SSD 850 PRO 1TB, Win 7 Pro x64 SP1
  • TM HOTAS Warthog, Saitek PFRP, TIR5

My Callsign in game is: Supertomcat