Typhoon vs. FC3 fighters and F-18C

As a Canadian DCS player I just hope the hornet will stand a chance against the EF. Of course, in BVR... WVR is quite a farce with the F/A-18, especially against a plane like the EF (or the mirage). In BVR the winner should be the one that's higher/faster (assuming we can have missiles than use height properly). It does advantage the EF though. This is also assuming that the EF and the hornet get the same missiles, which would be historically incorrect.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Constructor dont allow you to make new version for obvious reason, they only allow old version.

Its already cool that EADS and Eurofighter said yes for typhoon, try that with Dassault it will be different story.

i7 2600k -- Noctua NH-D14--Asrock Z75 Pro3--ASUS GTX970 Strix --16Go Ripjaws X 1333--Thermaltake Smart M650--CoolerMaster Silencio 652S--AOC E2752VQ-- Sandisk Extreme II 480GB--Saitek X-52 Pro --SAITEK PZ35 Pedals

Find enough informations about Su-27SM, MiG-29SMT or the latest Gripen to make a model. You don't understand one thing.

They're making Eurofighter and there're in contact with British MOD. They saw this plane outside and inside, and they can't make newer version because they didn't receive permission.

What dont i understand?

And also i never said they should make a Su-27SM or Mig-29SMT only that they would probably be better options then the Su-35 (that som ppl are suggesting) since they would probably be easier (still very hard to get info about the modern upgrades of russian aircraft)

The Gripen would Probably be quite plausible to get enough info about.

Saab seems to be more willing then alot of companies to work with outside groups so i think getting info about an early Jas-39C model (2004-2008) would not be as hard as some other aircraft.

I also understand fully why Its the Block 5 Eurofighter and not the Tranche 2 models.

Since the Block 5 is the most advanced (newest) Typhoon that is "old" enough that the info is no longer too secret to allow some to be released to VEAO for a "accurate" Simulation.

I think something that has not been mentioned so far is pilot skill, which i think counts far more than equipment in this case given to how close the weapons (R27//R77s vs AIM120s) and maneuverability (SU27 vs Typhoon)

Is the Typhoon newer and fancier? yes.

WIll it have an edge over some aircraft? Perhaps. But at the end of the day, it'll come down to pilot ability and knowledge of air combat and how to use the Typhoon and using it to its best turn rates, climb rates and flight envelops in a fight.

I think something that has not been mentioned so far is pilot skill, which i think counts far more than equipment in this case given to how close the weapons (R27//R77s vs AIM120s) and maneuverability (SU27 vs Typhoon)

Is the Typhoon newer and fancier? yes.

WIll it have an edge over some aircraft? Perhaps. But at the end of the day, it'll come down to pilot ability and knowledge of air combat and how to use the Typhoon and using it to its best turn rates, climb rates and flight envelops in a fight.

Technology counts at least as much as the pilot. The flight sim world is a bit biased because you may have people who literally don't know what button then even need to push in the air along side aces. You also have lone wolf vs squadrons. This leaves plenty of room for upsets, but with in each skill level there is still a push to go toward the better aircraft (at least if what you want is a bigger score).

One thing that I don't think I've seen brought up much is the EF's speed. Even the most basic ones will be able to supercruise while armed as far as I know and they'll probably outfly everything at supersonic speed. I actually think the F-18 specifically will be a bit weak in that department. While missiles in DCS may have questionable traits, they certainly do benefit from launch speed and altitude. The EF will have a launch envelope advantage over everything if the acceleration beats everything else. With ECM modeling as simple as it is, jamming won't really help. You'll delay the Typhoon's launch, but at burn-through even the F-15 will have a relatively low missile Pk.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

I am not looking forward to it being used in multiplayer, as it is a gen 4+ aircraft, has supercruise and many other advantages.

i7 3930k @ 4.7GHz | GTX 980 Ti | 16GB G.Skill 2133 Quad Channel | Samsung 850 EVO SSD | Win7 ProX64 | CH Fighterstick | CH Pro Pedals | CH Throttle | BenQ XL2730Z 1440p

The Gripen would Probably be quite plausible to get enough info about.

Saab seems to be more willing then alot of companies to work with outside groups so i think getting info about an early Jas-39C model (2004-2008 ) would not be as hard as some other aircraft.

You can try! :thumbup: If you get any serious and accurate data about Gripen, like radar, datalink, ECM and FCS, I'll buy you a drink!

The English Electric Lightning had supercruise...

Yes so it does, is there a reason why no one can do upgrades for the existing fighters like the SU-27? Is there a licensing problem that prevents versions like the SU-27SM?

At the end of the day, I have a Corgi 1:72 Diecast model of a Typhoon F.2 . I love the design, pure delta wing,tailless with canards. I am not a hater ;)

Can't wait to fly it myself!

Edited by zxarkov

i7 3930k @ 4.7GHz | GTX 980 Ti | 16GB G.Skill 2133 Quad Channel | Samsung 850 EVO SSD | Win7 ProX64 | CH Fighterstick | CH Pro Pedals | CH Throttle | BenQ XL2730Z 1440p

The English Electric Lightning had supercruise...

It doesn't combine it with modern avionics and weapons. What was the speed anyway, I don't think it was M 1.5. It probably wouldn't out turn the EF at that speed either and the EEL had poor endurance. There isn't really a comparison to make.

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

Typhoon will beat Mirage and hornet!!

But when rafale will be out it will be different story.

I believe F-18 is the 7.5G max because of foldable wings whan mirage and typhoon are 9G fighters.

Edited by dartuil

i7 2600k -- Noctua NH-D14--Asrock Z75 Pro3--ASUS GTX970 Strix --16Go Ripjaws X 1333--Thermaltake Smart M650--CoolerMaster Silencio 652S--AOC E2752VQ-- Sandisk Extreme II 480GB--Saitek X-52 Pro --SAITEK PZ35 Pedals

You right but dassaut will not allow late version af rafale.

It wont be AESA radar model I believe Dassault will allow only single-seat model to protect technologies in dual-seat, so rafale A or C.

According eric trappier dassault CEO the M2000 is better than the gripen! And rafale is the only fighter able to land on US carrier.

Edited by dartuil

regardless of which model F/A-18 all models F/A-18 lead to war aim-120C7

AIM-120C7 is the worst nightmare for any enemy

AIM-120C7 RANGE = 165 KM = 89 NM

Because the AIM-120 C7 is in DCS....and because even if it was, it would be realistically modeled..........

Remember that the original AIM-120 B has a listed range of 75km, thats about 4 times the range you currently have with the AIM-120 C in DCS

And I believe those are MAX ranges...not effective ranges.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

GCI: "Control to SEAD: Enemy SAM site 190 for 30, cleared to engage"

Striker: "Copy, say Altitude?"

GCI: "....Deck....it´s a SAM site..."

Striker: "Oh...."

Fighter: "Yeah, those pesky russian build, baloon based SAMs."

-Red-Lyfe

Best way to troll DCS community, make an F-16A, see how dedicated the fans really are :thumbup:

Because the AIM-120 C7 is in DCS....and because even if it was, it would be realistically modeled..........

Remember that the original AIM-120 B has a listed range of 75km, thats about 4 times the range you currently have with the AIM-120 C in DCS

And I believe those are MAX ranges...not effective ranges.

To be fair, it depends on the definition of range. The AIM-120B in DCS can easily kill something 50 miles away, but it's not often you'll be in a situation to shoot it that far.

Typhoon will beat Mirage and hornet!!

But when rafale will be out it will be different story.

I believe F-18 is the 7.5G max because of foldable wings whan mirage and typhoon are 9G fighters.

I wouldn't be so sure, my money is very much on the Typhoon. Also, the Swiss F-18's are rated at 9g, they would give the Rafale a very good fight and then some.

[sIGPIC]sigpic67951_1.gif[/sIGPIC]