Airmobile Air Assault Event: UH1+Mi-8+Ka-50

Charly_Owl

I had an excellent time flying with you guys today. It was a real thrill flying with that many choppers and that many serious pilots (having serious fun).

Thanks a bunch to Chuck for a great organizing job and extra special thanks to the 229th 1st Cav for providing the server! I'm looking forward to more of the same sometime soon.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a nice event. The first take off was looking really great from the back where the Mi-8s were.

As feedback to the mission I want to say these:

Comms were probably great on Hueys channels, We (3?) on Mi-8 were mostly listening what the flock of Huey did 5km away. Imho the chit-chat (with music etc) 5 minutes into the mission while people are joining is very "distractive".

Also the TS channels were heavy modified (4 instead of 5 and for example Mi-8s were moved from 3 to 1) and that added to the chaos.

Gunships. I was expecting them to go in first and chew the city apart. I was surprised to see via F2 camera Kamovs just hovering or cruising towards Gelendzhik while the fighting was in Novo. Imho. Ka50 should not have any other weapon than the gun as the targets are just some insurgents and few APCs.

I also was expecting to see Hueys gunships obliterating those roadblocks with rockets or at least guns well before the first wave of slicks were cleared in. And here is the main problem. We should have landed in the middle of drop zone but instead we landed far on the beach and left gazillions of soldiers there. They did not move to attack so they just chew FPS.

The number of pickups should be limited by triggers. Flag increase for each pickup and condition for pickup zone flag less than x .

Having infinite number of soldiers available is overkill.

Also CA slots are a must with few APC to get by players in 1st person and go clear the buildings that block the advancement of the mission.

I filmed the mission but I need to cut the movie as it is a bit long... even if I couldn't stay till the end.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

A few screenies but no action shots as I was too busy focusing on my flying :).

The first is us on the pan starting engines.

The second is the slick hueys on the runway ready for the first insertion after loading up (shame I had heat blur turned off to save FPS :()

The final image is the huey and mi-8 slicks holding short of the final HLS on the airfield, waiting for the gunships to do their thing.

For me the only improvements would be a slightly earlier start time to encourage more European players, a dedicated commander controlling the action and directing the troops, a JTAC or two to control the gunships and insertions using a keypad system and finally an ISTAR capability for locating the INS and recceing possible HLSs. This could be done by a reaper or possibly an SU-25T. The weapon load outs should be selected to maximise FPS. The SOP of turning off all lights was good and should be used again. These are minor improve points and not a slur on last nights event which was fantastic!

Screen_150802_221617.thumb.jpg.0b75f12a43924733afa82e6cce127594.jpg

Screen_150802_222525.thumb.jpg.91670bd8ea83571fbb484f4b2fe7bda1.jpg

Screen_150802_235735.thumb.jpg.0c95daa6a2871d80fdc95520ab346d88.jpg

Edited by Jacks

System Specs: i7 8700k @ 5.0GHz (not delidded), ASRock Extreme4 Z370 MOBO, EVGA GTX 1080 SC 8GB, 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz DDR4 RAM, Samsung Evo 240GB SSD, Samsung Evo 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Noctura NH-D15S Heat Sink, Acer VE278H 27" 1080p Monitor, Ocukus Rift CV1.

Controllers: TrackIR 5, Thrustmaster HOTAS X, Saitek Throttle Quadrant (with DIY removable collective mod), Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals.

Just trying to keep my number of takeoffs and landings equal!

By the way, it would be nice to have some ground CA units to support Gunships and Ka-50s.

CA users (for example, me!) can drill the city center, etc...

But, hey, please repeat this mission. We, helicopter pilots need more action. :)

Intel i7-14700@5.6GHz | MSI RTX4080 Super SuprimX | Corsair V. 32GB@6400MHz. | Samsung 1TB 990 PRO SSD (Win10Homex64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

There has been rumors out there, but we can now announce it officially: "The Huey is the most fun module on DCS!" (Maybe not the most advance are complicated but the most fun).

First time flying the Huey in an organized event and I had a blast.

Big thanks to chuck and the 229th. Great flying by everyone.

It was after 2am where I live and I could have gone for many more hours! We definitely need more Helos events.

[sIGPIC]

[/sIGPIC]

Also the TS channels were heavy modified (4 instead of 5 and for example Mi-8s were moved from 3 to 1) and that added to the chaos.

We were expecting more Mi-8 transports... but some didn't show up. We just decided to include them in the Huey slick flock.

About the event time: I'll try to see what can be done. I love flying with Europeans (except when they start warping around because of lag), but this Sunday it was the best I could do since I almost missed the event myself.

About comms: I wasn't expecting to lead so many slicks at once... I tried my best to keep the flights relatively structured and the gunships informed of our movements. For some reason the Ka-50s were not using whisper channels so we couldn't communicate with them and they couldn't communicate with us except by chat (which is definitely not ideal).

I'm not used to lead people into battle... so that was kind of a first for me in a DCS event. For better or worse... :noexpression:

Is it worth trialling Aries for these types of events. Haven't used it myself.

Am I right in thinking that with Aries each group can communication on their own VHF net and then a UHF freq can be used for a command net.

Did anyone capture any videos last night?

Jacks

Edited by Jacks

System Specs: i7 8700k @ 5.0GHz (not delidded), ASRock Extreme4 Z370 MOBO, EVGA GTX 1080 SC 8GB, 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz DDR4 RAM, Samsung Evo 240GB SSD, Samsung Evo 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Noctura NH-D15S Heat Sink, Acer VE278H 27" 1080p Monitor, Ocukus Rift CV1.

Controllers: TrackIR 5, Thrustmaster HOTAS X, Saitek Throttle Quadrant (with DIY removable collective mod), Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals.

Is it worth trialling Aries for these types of events. Haven't used it myself.

Am I right in thinking that with Aries each group can communication on their own VHF net and then a UHF freq can be used for a command net.

Did anyone capture any videos last night?

Jacks

Aries is nice, but not everyone has mods installed. I'd rather make people use whisper lists than install JSGME for public events. The goal is to make these events accessible, first and foremost. Once we started the server, everyone could spawn no problem. My experience with events featuring mods is that there are always a couple of guys who don't have them installed properly... which makes the experience not very enjoyable for them.

This is the take off and first Huey landings from my perspective

sorry about the music... the sound did not record so I picked something from youtube library :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

Frist thanks for hosting this event!

It was awesome to see so many choppers in the air. Liked it! Great! Looking forward for the next one! :thumbup:

Unfortunately the FPS sometimes dropped to single digits. :(

No idea if my rig was not powerful enough for this crowded sky.

I'll wait for 1.5 and judge then if an upgrade will be neccessary. :music_whistling:

I'd rather make people use whisper lists than install JSGME for public events.

ACK. Perhaps I missed it, but we need to be safe that everyone who'll have to use whisper has this set up correctly.

I'd like to suggest that a comms-check before joining the pit the should be made. :thumbup:

I too found fps stayed around 30 for most of the mission (returned to 50 when looking away) and went down to 10-20 in the busy HLSs.

I thought my 2Gb GTX 770 would be man enough but I guess this mission was too taxiing for it. I think an upgrade is required soon.

Although 30fps is just about playable it certainly not buttery smooth and I find view panning with trackir5 very jerky.

I would be interested to hear what fps others were getting and what their setup is to compare yo mine.

Chuck, rgr ref Aries. It is a mod I have no experience of and so I bow down to your better knowledge and experience.

Jacks

Edited by Jacks

Excellent mission and great screenshots. I wish I could have joined you guys, looks like it was a blast! I can't wait to see a vid of it...Looking at the screenshots, it brings back memories of Helo Ops and Helo Assaults, but mine were all with leaky CH-53s lol...

CH-53s look so imposing...... Unfortunately never been in the back of one as we Brits had to make do with chinooks. Blagged a ride in an osprey though and I can't wait to see it introduced to DCS in the future.

Edited by Jacks

CH-53s look so imposing...... Unfortunately never been in the back of one as we Brits had to make do chinooks. Blagged a ride in an osprey though and I can't wait to see it introduced to DCS in the future.

53's are awesome beasts. Leaky hydraulic fluid and all, Crew Chiefs used to tell us if they stop leaking, then we are going down lol. I preferred them over the 46's. I never got a ride in an Osprey, they were still "proving" themselves, and in country they were reserved for guys with shiny brass on their collars lol....I would love to see all three in DCS one day. That would be magnificent :pilotfly:

It was a nice event. The first take off was looking really great from the back where the Mi-8s were.

As feedback to the mission I want to say these:

Comms were probably great on Hueys channels, We (3?) on Mi-8 were mostly listening what the flock of Huey did 5km away. Imho the chit-chat (with music etc) 5 minutes into the mission while people are joining is very "distractive".

Gunships. I was expecting them to go in first and chew the city apart. I was surprised to see via F2 camera Kamovs just hovering or cruising towards Gelendzhik while the fighting was in Novo. Imho. Ka50 should not have any other weapon than the gun as the targets are just some insurgents and few APCs.

I also was expecting to see Hueys gunships obliterating those roadblocks with rockets or at least guns well before the first wave of slicks were cleared in. And here is the main problem. We should have landed in the middle of drop zone but instead we landed far on the beach and left gazillions of soldiers there. They did not move to attack so they just chew FPS.

The number of pickups should be limited by triggers. Flag increase for each pickup and condition for pickup zone flag less than x .

Having infinite number of soldiers available is overkill.

Also CA slots are a must with few APC to get by players in 1st person and go clear the buildings that block the advancement of the mission.

I filmed the mission but I need to cut the movie as it is a bit long... even if I couldn't stay till the end.

I was in one of the KA's. I think I've played too much 104th. LOL. I was constantly on the lookout for shilka's, strelas, and Tor's. I took out 3 or so shilka's the entire mission. Fired some rockets and mostly guns. I had a blast, but i wasn't really clear on what our missions were and our target areas. I'll do better next time around for sure, but it took me looking for AA threats and not finding any for about 30 or 40 minutes before i realized I should start just killing people on rooftops.

Comms in the KA channel were basically non existant. We had one guy take off and leave without saying a word before I knew what was going on. There was no "lead". I'm not even sure how to whisper on TS, so that's something I'd have to learn before I did it again. Was definitely a good time though.

I would love to replay this mission at night using nvgs!

In this week, I'd like to make a brief video of entire mission from aspect of Ka-50s, Hueys and Mi-8s.

And, we don't have whole Teamspeak records, right? It would be better mix it on the video...

Intel i7-14700@5.6GHz | MSI RTX4080 Super SuprimX | Corsair V. 32GB@6400MHz. | Samsung 1TB 990 PRO SSD (Win10Homex64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5

In this week, I'd like to make a brief video of entire mission from aspect of Ka-50s, Hueys and Mi-8s.

And, we don't have whole Teamspeak records, right? It would be better mix it on the video...

I do have the TS records... but it's 1.4 gb for 2.5 hours though...

Could someone from the 229th upload the server track?

Exports were not enabled and there is no Tacview recording at my PC...

...and I popped out of the server a few times so don't have a single track...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

...the few, the proud, the remaining...

I do have a single track (client)... if you want it, just send me a link to somewhere where I can upload it tonight.

I do have the TS records... but it's 1.4 gb for 2.5 hours though...
If you can convert it Mp3 and upload somewhere with acceptable size, I can mix it over the video, or it's OK, I'll make the video anyway.

Thanks by the way.

You can replay the track and if it plays back without errors tacview will record again all the action. You can increase speed 3 times at least without stutters. Left Crl +Z to increase, Left Alt +Z to decrease and Left Shift + Z to return to normal speed.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]