Spouses and sim addiction

GeneralDynamics

With this approach I'm almost sure you haven't eaten any cake 4 a long time if you know what I mean Dude :lol:

If you think you're going to be getting more cake in the long run by catering to the demands, you're wrong. ;) And if you get a scene for spending a one day salary every month it's subjectively legitimate to say to that person to fly a kite! :pilotfly:

PS. BTW, I'm pretty sure that scene was literally about a cake :D

Are saitek pedals bad? i was about to purchase them

Intel Core i5-8600k + Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Gigabyte GTX 1070 Aorus 8G | 32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengance LPX Black 3200MHz | Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 3 | WD Black SN750 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Green 240GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA 3 | WD Caviar Blue 500GB SATA 3 | EVGA 650 GQ 80+ Gold | Samsung CF391 Curved 32" | Corsair 400C | Steelseries Arctis 5 --- Razer Kraken X Lite | Logitech G305 | Redragon Dyaus 2 K509 | Xbox 360 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Thrustmaster TWCS | TrackIR 5

The combat pro flight pedals are not great, especially for the price. The internals are all plastic, so with use the center of mine has become quite sloppy. They don't force to center if you make small adjustments as there's basically no spring tension there.

They collect dirt very easily inside and are difficult to clean.

The metal pedals are too heavy for the springs except in the most upright position, so you'll have to set deadzones or use them in what I consider the least comfortable of the three positions.

Now with Windows 10, even without the profiling software, which isn't really necessary for them, they still have the same issue as all other Saitek products where you can't unplug them while your computer is on or else it will become unresponsive. When my girlfriend wants to yank my pedals to practice we have to shut both computers down. Lame.

They work, but they are extremely overpriced for what they are. I can't speak about Crosswinds from personal experience until late this month or early October, but if they're anywhere what others say I'd say save up the extra difference and save yourself the discontent and headache.

I am probably one of the most Anti-Saitek people on the forums and bad mouth them like it's my job, but as a former owner of a problematic X-52 Pro and the less than stellar Pro Combat pedals I just want to try saving people the money I wasted, even if it means spending a little more up front...

saitek is the only brand in my country... so i was basically looking to know if i can buy them or stick with the stick yaw

Intel Core i5-8600k + Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Gigabyte GTX 1070 Aorus 8G | 32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengance LPX Black 3200MHz | Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 3 | WD Black SN750 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Green 240GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA 3 | WD Caviar Blue 500GB SATA 3 | EVGA 650 GQ 80+ Gold | Samsung CF391 Curved 32" | Corsair 400C | Steelseries Arctis 5 --- Razer Kraken X Lite | Logitech G305 | Redragon Dyaus 2 K509 | Xbox 360 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Thrustmaster TWCS | TrackIR 5

I had CH Pro Pedals which were solid performers for ten years.

I've been using the Saitek Combat pedals for a few years now and I really like them and they work trouble free still.

no centering issues?

If I may chime in, I find the Saitek Pro Combat pedals quite ok for the price.

One advice on the Saitek pedals is to remove the centre detent.

It makes a huge difference.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=73311

I do not have the unresponsive problem that xaoslaad mentions, neither with these pedals, nor with the x52 I still own.

For my use they are fine.

And I think, for a start, or on a budget, they are fine enough.

And, much much better than using twist stick.

If you want better pedals, you could take a look at the MFG Crosswinds or the Slaw pedals, but they are in a whole other price class.

But then of course also much better.

http://mfg.simundza.com/products

https://www.facebook.com/slaw.device

System specs:

Gigabyte Aorus Master, i7 9700K@std, GTX 1080TI OC, 32 GB 3000 MHz RAM, NVMe M.2 SSD, Oculus Quest VR (2x1600x1440)

Warthog HOTAS w/150mm extension, Slaw pedals, Gametrix Jetseat, TrackIR for monitor use

If I may chime in, I find the Saitek Pro Combat pedals quite ok for the price.

One advice on the Saitek pedals is to remove the centre detent.

It makes a huge difference.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=73311

I do not have the unresponsive problem that xaoslaad mentions, neither with these pedals, nor with the x52 I still own.

For my use they are fine.

And I think, for a start, or on a budget, they are fine enough.

And, much much better than using twist stick.

If you want better pedals, you could take a look at the MFG Crosswinds or the Slaw pedals, but they are in a whole other price class.

But then of course also much better.

http://mfg.simundza.com/products

https://www.facebook.com/slaw.device

i will definitely not open them and like i said, saitek is the only brand in my country and is very expensive

Great story and we have had a few of those discussions as well. :music_whistling:

My wife has been very understanding of my obsession over the years, especially when I told her I was making a cockpit!

We share most big purchases but I agree with Darkwolf - make sure she has enough of her own cash so she doesn't feel cheated.

That's worked for me for 26 years of wedded bliss!. :thumbup:

F-15C-User-Bar-ACM.v2.jpg

MapleFlagMissions - Read Our Blog for Updates

i will definitely not open them and like i said, saitek is the only brand in my country and is very expensive

I understand, on one hand. I was reluctant to open mine also.

But on the other hand, the increased precision at the center was all worth it. :)

And if you loosen the "brake screw", you still have plenty centering force in the mechanism itself.

System specs:

Gigabyte Aorus Master, i7 9700K@std, GTX 1080TI OC, 32 GB 3000 MHz RAM, NVMe M.2 SSD, Oculus Quest VR (2x1600x1440)

Warthog HOTAS w/150mm extension, Slaw pedals, Gametrix Jetseat, TrackIR for monitor use

That was an epic story.

Luckily, my wife is a good match for me, she rarely check out the expense as she is a gamer too. I usually make sure that whatever money i waste in PC sim, she has enough cash flow to buy what she likes too.

Hehe, sounds nice. :)

System specs:

My wife's a gamer as well, especially RPGs. We even play ESO together to go dungeon crawling as mage (her) and tank (myself).

When it comes to hardware, though, she now is kinda throwing a fit because I only built a new PC earlier this year, but now I want a second NVIDIA GTX980 for SLI purposes this month, and they're still quite expensive. I can see her point, of course, but my point is called EDGE (or DCS World 1.5) coming up. So, yeah, I will have to order it with my next paycheck.

But I couldn't be happier with my wife being a gamer as well. Good times!

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

I understand, on one hand. I was reluctant to open mine also.

But on the other hand, the increased precision at the center was all worth it. :)

And if you loosen the "brake screw", you still have plenty centering force in the mechanism itself.

thanks for all the inputs.

i think i will leave the detent where it is as it can be very useful for resting the feet without pushing.

thanks

My wife's a gamer as well, especially RPGs. We even play ESO together to go dungeon crawling as mage (her) and tank (myself).

When it comes to hardware, though, she now is kinda throwing a fit because I only built a new PC earlier this year, but now I want a second NVIDIA GTX980 for SLI purposes this month, and they're still quite expensive. I can see her point, of course, but my point is called EDGE (or DCS World 1.5) coming up. So, yeah, I will have to order it with my next paycheck.

But I couldn't be happier with my wife being a gamer as well. Good times!

But shouldn't you wait at least until 1.5 is released? :lol:

I'm the first one who'll grasp the slightest excuse to purchase new hardware, but the rig in your signature is a beast. You shouldn't have any problems whatsoever with Edge, the current engine is not even using that 980 of yours, so you should see a substantial performance increase in 1.5. Unless you're planning to buy a 4k display too?

I read that EDGE will support multiple GPUs, and that alone seems to be worth it. Maybe the performance of EDGE scales even better that way? To me, that's worth it. :)

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Don't get married. Problem solved ;)

I was married, no kids. I paid the early exit fee (not cheap, but lump sum beats alimony) and now I spend my money on whatever I want. Not having to pay for her stuff equals a LOT more money for my hobbies.

Got a new Obutto R3volution on the way. Considering jumping into sim racing as well (another hobby with ridiculously expensive peripherals). Didn't have to give anyone puppy dog eyes. Only way to live, in my opinion.

I am not against marriage but I must admit that the single life has financial advantages.

Never married, retired at 52, and financially secure enough to buy a house with more room for my toys (Obutto R3volution is on my list). :)

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

You can do it with kids and a wife, its not that bad, and my 3 year old co-pilot is something I wouldn't trade anything for ;)

+ very much 1 to this one.

I have a 6 year old co-pilot I wouldn't trade for either, and to take over once I get too old. ;)

None of us last forever..

Besides, I'm lucky: My wife lets my buy my stuff, and do the flying, and even sometimes buy some stuff for me. :)

System specs:

You can do it with kids and a wife, its not that bad, and my 3 year old co-pilot is something I wouldn't trade anything for ;)

Mine is 9 months old. I'm this oh, I enjoy the sensation of flight in this sub-sonic marvel. She, by the looks of it, is going to be one mean toddler choosing an airframe based on how high kill ratio it yields, enjoying the fear of opponents and lamentation of their women ;)

Edited by Bucic

Absolutely wrong. Single life has not fknancial advantage. Except if your wife is not working. Being two, getting two paycheck but sharing food/house is a huge financial advantage. If you ae single, your food expense are slightly less, but house still here for only one payroll. :P

Your argument is however valid for "time", instead of "cash" ;)

i think it all comes down on weather you have a healthy relation with your wife. I spent 20k in gaming gear the last two months and the only thing she told me was "go ahead, you dont have to ask me". Of course I bought a couple of things for herin order to be fair, but single life is good only if your wife sucks half of your life or more.

Bye bye.

Absolutely wrong. Single life has not fknancial advantage. Except if your wife is not working. Being two, getting two paycheck but sharing food/house is a huge financial advantage. If you ae single, your food expense are slightly less, but house still here for only one payroll. :P

I do agree with you in principle, but since the second income isn't necessary, in my case, the advantage is of a lesser value.

Of course, you are quite right about time advantages, as well. :)

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Absolutely wrong. Single life has not fknancial advantage. Except if your wife is not working. Being two, getting two paycheck but sharing food/house is a huge financial advantage. If you ae single, your food expense are slightly less, but house still here for only one payroll.

Your argument is however valid for "time", instead of "cash" ;)

Well if you're both getting a paycheck, then I really don't see why the wife should have any say in what you spend yours on. Except legally she can. Most states are 50/50.

Having been there, done that, my advice for the younger guys who are still single is to STAY SINGLE. Date all you want. Unless you are dying to have kids of your own, there is literally zero benefit to marriage (for the guy) that you can't get from dating, but a whole lot of potential downside. Once you are married and kids are involved, you lose your veto authority in your life. She could be working when you get married. Doesn't mean she'll stay employed. This is the sad reality today. I got off lucky.

Leasing is often a financially superior option for the use of depreciating assets. ;)

Your value increases with age. Invest in yourself!