State of DCS sims?

Callsign.Vega

Hey guys, been a few years since I checked in. Just looking for a state of the sim. There were two big deal breakers for me that didn't make me pursue DCS products. (Although I've purchased many to support DCS and making flight sims in general).

The lack of a dynamic campaign and the ability for all types of weapons to pass through structures and trees etc unimpeded. I really don't care for canned mission type sims.

Has any progress been made on either of those two fronts?

Thanks!

GPU: RTX 4090 - 3,000 MHz core / 12,000 MHz VRAM. 

CPU: 7950X3d - 5.2 GHz X3d, 5.8 GHz secondary / MB: ASUS Crosshair X670E Gene / RAM: G.Skill 48GB 6400 MHz

SSD: Intel Optane P5800X - 800GB

VR: Pimax Crystal

CONTROLS: VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base / VPC Constellation ALPHA Prime Grip / VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle / TM Pendular Rudders

Hey guys, been a few years since I checked in. Just looking for a state of the sim. There were two big deal breakers for me that didn't make me pursue DCS products. (Although I've purchased many to support DCS and making flight sims in general).

The lack of a dynamic campaign and the ability for all types of weapons to pass through structures and trees etc unimpeded. I really don't care for canned mission type sims.

Thanks!

Trees don't have a collision mesh, though I don't ever recall that being an issue for buildings. The new Nevada map will have collision meshes for trees so you can crash into them at your hearts content.

There is no dynamic campaign provided officially, but the user created Guardians of the Caucasus for the MiG-21Bis is a dynamic campaign, and where there's one, there will eventually be more. Also, there are quite a few multiplayer "battle maps" that feature capturing airbases and working off depletable supplies if you're willing to fly with others.

I don't recall weapons ever passing through structures unimpeded.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

DCS is on holding patter for 2.0. Many changes are planned, and even more may be added later.

All future maps will be able to support solid trees. NTTR will be the first map with this feature. AI will still be able to look through them initially, but this may be addressed later.

Unfortunately, your question might be a bit too early. We'll probably have a better idea of the sim's future post DCS 2.0 release, and whatever the current state of the sim is, it's about to change drastically.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

Thanks!

Do you fly in any sim now that meets your criteria?

I thought the idea of DCS World and all of its parts was a open platform sim to create what you want not that it came with fully working game inside.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

In addition to that: There are quite some nice aircraft in development for release in the not to distant future that should fit into your timeframe:

- Mirage 2000

- F-14 Tomcat

- F/A-18 Hornet

- Eurofighter Typhoon

- (probably a Saab Viggen or Harrier but not confirmed yet)

All of them are study sim level.

As for the dynamic campaign: That is indeed a huge disadvantage compared to Falcon 4, but just last week there was the Operation Blue Flag MP-Event which was the greatest DCS experience I ever had and was a dynamic campaign which looked like it was made by former Falcon-Pilots :D

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

For dynamic campaigns, take a look here.

http://opblueflag-buddyspike.rhcloud.com/

But it is only for online, and many doesn't like to play online but wants singleplayer dynamic campaigns.

Because there is times when you just need to pause the game to do some other things and in multiplayer you can't do anything like that.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

In addition to that: There are quite some nice aircraft in development for release in the not to distant future that should fit into your timeframe:

- Mirage 2000

- F-14 Tomcat

- F/A-18 Hornet

- Eurofighter Typhoon

- (probably a Saab Viggen or Harrier but not confirmed yet)

All of them are study sim level.

Why people forget that the "aircraft" includes the "rotary-wing" aircrafts as well? ;)

AH-1

Mi-24

Gazelle

are coming too in the study sim level :)

DCS is on holding patter for 2.0. Many changes are planned, and even more may be added later.

All future maps will be able to support solid trees. NTTR will be the first map with this feature. AI will still be able to look through them initially, but this may be addressed later.

That is the my main gripe for the whole DCS as it doesn't simulate the war correctly until that gets fixed.

And why? Because Close-Air-Support pilots have a easy job to destroy any ground unit as long it isn't behind a building or behind a ground (hill/mountain).

Helicopter pilots can't even fly their missions as should when they can't use NOE tactics to get close or seek concealment or even cover from the trees/bushes.

Ground unit commanders can't build effective defence as ground units are so easily visible, and once enabling a radar it pings everyone on the area instead just the direction that should be able to be given to be scanned.

Fighter pilots have the happiest joy because they can fly anyways high enough to avoid almost all ground defences and doesn't need to watch out the SAM's so much as radars reflects to everywhere.

Yes, we have all the fancy flight modeling but the DCSWorld is still in its core like this:

I don't mean to be negative, but if we take all the visual upgrades from higher terrain textures and obstacles that doesn't block LOS/Other objects (missiles etc) then the DCSWorld is even today still like a Flanker or Flanker 2.0 by the tactics and strategies it allows/forces.

That is why DCSWorld 1.5 and 2.0 are highly waited by some as there is actually big difference coming just by allowing trees to block LOS and affect to weaponry as well. As no more a A-10 or Su-25T pilots is there to automatically lock ground units in forests or track their movement when they travel behind treelines etc.

KA-50 pilots can just panic how they can't get the Vikhr to fly to the target aiming between trees when the laser isn't passed trough trees etc.

The sad part is that the DCSworld 2.0 will bring the new map, that is a desert map and there really isn't trees.... The current map would radically get DCSWorld to look different if/when it gets upgraded with new trees and collision mesh affects LOS and missiles, shells etc as well than just aircrafts.

And suddenly a radar capable to map ground becomes far more important and useful when F/A-18 comes out as it really helps to find the ground units.

So to me, just two things really:

1) Tree collision upgrade

2) Dynamic campaign (& dynamic random generated missions with better strategies than now).

Probably because it´s very hard / impossible for a studio such as ED to get all the features of this huge project done on one specific date. It would seem to me that the engine and NTTR are just 2 (larger) points on a list. This is becoming very clear I believe when you look at the way Wags is talking about the planned features in his videos and the way in which DCS has been expanded and improved since the initial release of the Ka-50.

You are right, though: It´s been suggested in the past that DCSW / NTTR / etc. would be close to release, but never before have we had such beautiful video footage and extensive commentary on its status by an official representative of ED ;)

Edited by upupandaway

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Deedle, deedle!

Why people forget that the "aircraft" includes the "rotary-wing" aircrafts as well? ;)

AH-1

Mi-24

Gazelle

are coming too in the study sim level :)

I did not forget them ;)

In fact I considered to also mention them but then I had the impression the OP is only interrested in fixed wing.

But if you want to mention them, then pls don't forget the BO-105 PAH!!

I'm really looking forward to get my hands on this baby :)

As for the AH-1 and the Mi-24: Have they ever been confirmed/announced or are they just rumors? I guess you're referring to Belsimthek there?

About collisionable/LOS-blocking trees: That would indeed a HUGE improvement but seems almost impossible considering the amount of processing powered needed for that. What they do with Nevada is at least something (single trees colidable at their trunk).

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

As for the AH-1 and the Mi-24: Have they ever been confirmed announced or are they just rumors? I guess you're referring to Belsimthek there?

Wags mentioned them at least once in January of 2013 when he released his DCSW overview on YT. The list he gave there ist still very much in line with the actual modules released / announced to this date:

(@ 1:10)

The Su-27SM became the Su-27S. Don´t forget the OH-58 ^^

Edited by upupandaway

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Deedle, deedle!

While a Dynamic Campaign system is the biggest thing I think would improve the sim, I'm a little worried that if it was as good as ED would make it, then I may forget to do real life...

PC:

6600K @ 4.5 GHz, 12GB RAM, GTX 970, 32" 2K monitor.

As for the AH-1 and the Mi-24: Have they ever been confirmed/announced or are they just rumors? I guess you're referring to Belsimthek there?

I remember this was on Belsimtek website:

"DCS: AH-1G Cobra beta-version to be released in first half of 2014"

[sIGPIC]

[/sIGPIC]

Yeah, that's what I meant by rumors ;)

First half of 2014 is long gone and I can't find anything about it on their website now and Wags' videos is already 2 years old and no sign of life so far.

I'm not saying those two helicopters aren't in development, but it's all pretty vague. Belsimteks lack of communication in general is pretty irksome to say the least :mad:

Tornado3 small.jpg

Yeah, that's what I meant by rumors ;)

First half of 2014 is long gone and I can't find anything about it on their website now and Wags' videos is already 2 years old and no sign of life so far.

I'm not saying those two helicopters aren't in development, but it's all pretty vague. Belsimteks lack of communication in general is pretty irksome to say the least :mad:

They do take some time to get around to it, but so far I think they have adressed all the issues brought up with regard to their modules, be it in a patch or a comment. I do not remember the details right now, but I think it´s a little more complicated than this one date from an old post on their website. Weren´t there issues with the data and what version they could / should model some while ago?

Edited by upupandaway

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Deedle, deedle!

DCS looks and feels great from high above, but once you get to the ground level you realize there's a lot room from improvement. Useless trees and non-existent ground units AI are big immersion killers for me. I think ED puts too much effort in adding new stuff to the game instead of fixing what is broken, but I guess they have their reasons for it. I wouldn't mind if they add dynamic campaign though :)

On the other hand, there will soon be a DCS 2, and for free. Any other games dev/publisher would put a nice juicy price tag on it. So I guess we shouldn't complain too much. :D

To answer the OP, yes, DCS has its flaws, but it's realy the best sim on the market, by far.

They do take some time to get around to it, but so far I think they have adressed all the issues brought up with regard to their modules, be it in a patch or a comment.

Any news by Belsimtek on the missing engine overheat in the Huey? That is (or hopefully was!) a major omission in my book.

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i9-9900@5Ghz, 32 Gig RAM, MSI RTX 3080 TI, 2 TB SSD, 43" 2160p@1440p monitor.