Can't update from Black Shark 1 to 2

canadianbaken

Same problem here, all other modules installed fine, however I cannot install BS2 from as that insists that World 1.2.16 is installed. I have BS1+update 2 installed OK in the World Beta folder, seems like it is not compatible in the new Alpha. Quite why they couldn't just give BS1 +update 2 purchasers a key for BS2 is beyond me.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, Intel i7 920 Corsair H70 water cooled @4GHz), Corsair XMS3 12GB (6x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C8 (1600MHz) Tri-Channel, Nvidia GTX780, OCZ Vertex 256GB SSD (for OS+DCS), TrackIR 5, TM Warthog HOTAS + Saitek Rudder

So, to upgrade from BS1 to BS2 i have to buy a key for BS2?? The Eagle Dynamics IT Team told me that they no longer offer BS2 Upgrade and that if i want to use Black Shark in DCS World I have to buy a BS2 key. SO, they offered it for some as an upgrade and not others??

You don't have to buy it again but it certainly is waaaaaay less of a pain than doing it the semi-supported way. The installer you can download only works with the current 1.2 version, aka DCSW. The open beta and open alpha are separate builds without proper the fullest support.

EDIT#2 This is an old method I have used but will not work with 2.0a. Provided you have BS2 Upgrade installed in DCSW 1.2, copy the \mods\aircraft\ka-50 folder into the appropriate place in the experimental release (1.5 beta or 2.0 alpha). The files won't be perfect but that DCSW branch will now recognize that BS2 Upgrade is present. Then run a repair on that experimental build which will update/fix the few discrepancies between the 1.2 version and the one appropriate for that experimental build. End old method that won't work with 2.0a.

EDIT#2 Instead, run the updater with the BS2 Upgrade content parameter, e.g. "...\DCS World 2 OpenAlpha\bin\DCS_updater.exe" install KA-50bs1 (thank you SkateZilla for this parameter value).

Edited by Frederf

From the Eagle Dynamics IT Team:

R T01-12-2015 17:25:01Quote

So you did it for some and not others?? How did others get to upgrade to BS2 after they purchased BS1 and I do not?

1-12-2015 18:12:06Quote

These are 3 different products.

they can use this "BS2 Upgrade" because they have purchased it early

This is SO confusing!!! AND they closed the ticket!

Guys as DCSW continues to move forward, with 2.0 here at last, this problem is just going to keep getting worse.

I would highly recommend you guys consider at some point, biting the bullet and grabbing BS2 Full Version like when they offer another good sale on it. I know that sucks, as you have BS1 and the upgrade version for BS2, but DCSW does not support BS1 and it is a pain to have to continually install it and go through the process anytime you want to install BS2 again.

This is what I did, I grabbed the full version back when they were running a big sale, and am so glad I did - especially as I have been installing the beta's and alpha's...

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

But this is a gaming forum so can't I rant and rage about spending $40 on BS1 and then $20 on the upgrade and then compare this to random other purchases that went smoother like buying a burger today, and say things like UNACCEPTABLE and stuff?!

Of course and you have every right to voice displeasure, that is why I said it sucks. Just saying I myself got tired of the grief for me and grabbed full version on sale and never looked back, and am so glad I did especially now.

It would be really nice if ED were to make it available to BS2 Upgrade owners at no expense, but not sure that day will ever come.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

You just missed a sale.

I would think they may run another one closer to Christmas, but who knows...

Don B

This is a problem many BS1 users, myself included, have spent hours banging their heads against.

The main problem is that, due to legal complications having to do with the piracy-protection software keys, BS1 key + BS2 upgrade key cannot be converted into BS2 Full key.

So BS2 Upgrade users are stuck with having to keep a copy of BS1 installed so that the license key registration software for the upgrade version can scan the BS1 install for a valid key... But the DCS: World module-manager does not like to play ball with the BS2 Upgrade registration tool.

All this nonsense lead to ED stopping sales of BS1 and BS1->2 upgrade, but there are still enough users floating around out there that the problem continues to crop up from time to time.

Personally, I got tired of the headache back at DCS:W 1.1, and just bought myself a full key. Wait for a sale, you can get BS2 for a steal.

So, to upgrade from BS1 to BS2 i have to buy a key for BS2?? [...]

Correct.

What is known as BS2 was supposed to be a free update, but turned out to be way too complex and take way too much development time to offer for free.

I flew both, and BS2 was a massive improvement over BS1. I can easily see why ED treated BS2 as a new module rather than "just" a free upgrade.

There was a "BS2 upgrade" sold, but it just caused massive problems (like the ones mentioned in this thread), and since the price of BS2 full was dropped to 40$ anyway, it kinda made sense to not offer the upgrade any longer.

It would be really nice if ED were to make it available to BS2 Upgrade owners at no expense, but not sure that day will ever come.

This is the thing.

I can't understand why ED won't just grant all BS2 Upgrade owners a free BS2 Full license. The upgrade simply keeps making problems, keeping people from enjoying a product they rightfully own, unless they contact support or use hacks. I mean, they all paid for it, where's the problem?

Besides making people happy, ED could also get rid of this never ending support nightmare, which I'd call a win-win. :smartass:

Wait, I assumed you guys have already tried the officially provided procedure. See here https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/support/faq/

Have you?

Unfortunatly not. I have BS Ver 1 installed and running ok, However when I try to install BS2 into open alpha using the installer linked from the page you quoted I get an error saying I need World 1.2 installed! The module installer also fails to detect that BS should be installed.

I've already got the original BS installed, World 1.5 Open Beta, World 2.0 Open alpha. I'm not about to waste yet more of my SSD space to install another version of a game that will never get used.

This is a real mess and should be sorted. The irony is that its the loyal early supporters of DCS who are being let down over this. It's all very well saying just buy another license. But not everyone has the spare cash, any why should they! We've payed once already.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, Intel i7 920 Corsair H70 water cooled @4GHz), Corsair XMS3 12GB (6x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C8 (1600MHz) Tri-Channel, Nvidia GTX780, OCZ Vertex 256GB SSD (for OS+DCS), TrackIR 5, TM Warthog HOTAS + Saitek Rudder

Unfortunatly not. I have BS Ver 1 installed and running ok, However when I try to install BS2 into open alpha using the installer linked from the page you quoted I get an error saying I need World 1.2 installed! The module installer also fails to detect that BS should be installed.

I've already got the original BS installed, World 1.5 Open Beta, World 2.0 Open alpha. I'm not about to waste yet more of my SSD space to install another version of a game that will never get used.

This is a real mess and should be sorted. The irony is that its the loyal early supporters of DCS who are being let down over this. It's all very well saying just buy another license. But not everyone has the spare cash, any why should they! We've payed once already.

I'm on the same wagon and merely trying to establish whether the officially provided method still works. If not, you should open an individual support ticket. I'm going to do so this week.

To to those advising purchase of BS2. This isn't remotely in the realm of solutions. Neither at full price nor on sale.

Don't bother with a support ticket on this. Your only option is to buy a serial number for BS2.

Is this just speculation or have you been officially told BS2 update is no longer supported?

Is this just speculation or have you been officially told BS2 update is no longer supported?

It is still supported. I got the same error when trying to install the upgrade from module manager in 2.0.

To fix it, I manually ran BS1 (was already installed through steam). I then tried installing the upgrade again through 2.0 module manager and it worked without a problem.

I've tried that as well, but it didn't work for me. I had the guys from ED look into my PC with teamviewer and they actually tried to (re)install BS1, BS2 upgrade and they were stuped that it didn't work.

The last fix was to try to reinstall everything fresh so I did only to find out that now even in 1.2.16 the BS upgrade won't function.

I'm still talking to them but I already bought the BS2 since I love flying with my online friends and won't sit on the sideline anymore.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commodore 64 | MOS6510 | VIC-II | SID6581 | DD 1541 | KCS Power Cartridge | 64Kb | 32Kb external | Arcade Turbo

I couldn't get it to work, ended up buying BS2 stand-alone. That fixed all problems immediately and I could install straight into 2.0.

Getting NTTR for free just because I bought A-10C many years ago is such insane value I am not going to sweat an extra $40 for ED.

From my understanding, there were 3 products, BS1, BS2 Upgrade and BS2. If you purchased BS1 and didn't download the BS2 Upgrade, you have to buy BS2 with a serial #. I have BS1, do not have the upgrade but downloaded the current BS2, this doesn't work. I was informed of this from ED with my last open ticket. I can send the whole conversation with them if you'd like.

From my understanding, there were 3 products, BS1, BS2 Upgrade and BS2. If you purchased BS1 and didn't download the BS2 Upgrade, you have to buy BS2 with a serial #. I have BS1, do not have the upgrade but downloaded the current BS2, this doesn't work. I was informed of this from ED with my last open ticket. I can send the whole conversation with them if you'd like.

You are correct there were 3 products. Most people in this thread own the BS2 upgrade already. We bought it years ago when BS2 first came out. The problem now is some people cannot install the BS2 upgrade because it is not recognizing that they have BS1 installed and authenticated already.