DCS: AJS-37 Viggen Discussion

VEPR 12

Oh really? :)

Most of it is probably locked up in the Swedish national archives, It's "just" a question of getting it declassified which i understand can take a while, sometimes months, to get approved. :-)

We've got a lot of info, just need to sort it...

Capture.thumb.JPG.7311eb586c3d1261a0f39cac9da84c91.JPG

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

Here is the right side panel, and once again - please help out with the gaps or persisting errors.

2. Strömställare KONTROLL triggers the self-test system, you hold this and if things seem broken the appropriate warning lights turn on. Example: with landing gear out and locked (like, on the ground), press and hold this, and if any of the redundant "gear in" sensors fire, warning lights will turn on.

6. Strömställare TIPPVÄXEL - Right, this is pretty complex. The AJ 37 isn't fly-by-wire, but there's a gearing system that provides artificial stick forces so that when you're going really fast and the elevons exert a gigantic amount of force, pulling really hard on the stick doesn't deflect the elevons as far as when you're going slow. If this system fails or hydraulic system 2 fails, you can switch this gear into the low speed setting (large stick movements = large elevon deflection) by flipping the TIPPVÄXEL switch to the LANDN (landing) position. The SFI has a lot to say about the flight controls system, so you figure this out: http://imgur.com/a/SMZTC

19. Strömställare TÄNDSTIFT - Controls the "spark plugs" for the engine starter. I think this is supposed to be wired into place in the TILL position, but you can turn it off manually if you really want to kill the power.

38. Strömställare BRÄNSLEREGL Switches between automatic and manual fuel regulation (for emergencies).

Most of it is probably locked up in the Swedish national archives, It's "just" a question of getting it declassified which i understand can take a while, sometimes months, to get approved. :-)

I got all parts not involving foregin arms declassified from Krigsarkivet 3 years ago, so it should be no probs.

• Like 1

Oh really? :)

We've got a lot of info, just need to sort it...

That's a page from the unclassified part of the flight manual. While it is not exactly a widely circulated publication, it's not particularly hard to find either. The national military archives' library has a copy, for example. My photos of it are really bad because I couldn't get the pages flat - I plan to fix that on Saturday or next week by just opening the binder and re-photographing it - but here's the entire "presentation" section of the SFI (and again, sorry for the quality):

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8bCDRcq9BVeai1MaEplRzVXM3c/view?usp=sharing

Your pic is from paragraph 4.2 - page 14 in the PDF above.

I got all parts not involving foregin arms declassified from Krigsarkivet 3 years ago, so it should be no probs.

This is very handy to know! I need to re-formulate my request then - I asked for all of it, but if they've already declassified parts of it I should be able to get those immediately. I thought it was going to take six months, because that's what happened with the SFI for J 35F which was finally declassified on my request the other week.

Thanks!

Edited by renhanxue

This is very handy to know! I need to re-formulate my request then - I asked for all of it, but if they've already declassified parts of it I should be able to get those immediately. I thought it was going to take six months, because that's what happened with the SFI for J 35F which was finally declassified on my request the other week.

Thanks!

Yeah, they move with the speed of a glacier..

However, if LNS releases a AJS 37 I'd be very surprised if they don't include a manual far better then the old over complicated SFI parts.

Is this the SFI we are talking about here?

[ame]http://www.flyghistoria.org/image_forum/2012-05-23_SFI_AJS37_flik_01.pdf[/ame]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My computer specs below:

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K@4.2GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H100 | GPU: MSI Nvidia GTX 680 2GB Lightning 2GB VRAM @1.3GHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3 1600 | SSD 1: Corsair Force 3 120GB (SATA 6) | SSD 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB (SATA 6) | Hybrid disc: Seagate Momentus Hybrid 500/4GB (SATA 3) | Keyboard: QPAD MK-85 | Mouse: QPAD 5K LE | TrackIR 5 + Track Clip Pro | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind | OS: Win7/64

Yes, but that's only the first ~20 pages (the first section, "flik 1" - the general description of the aircraft). There are another couple hundred unclassified pages that aren't in that PDF.

How many "flikar" are there?

Found these pdf's as well (don't know if they have been posted in here before):

Panel AJSF37

[ame]http://www.flyghistoria.org/image_forum/2012-05-23_AJSF37.pdf[/ame]

Panel AJSH37

[ame]http://www.flyghistoria.org/image_forum/2012-05-23_AJSH37.pdf[/ame]

And a JA37D panel for comparison

[ame]http://www.flyghistoria.org/image_forum/2012-05-23_JA37D.pdf[/ame]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My computer specs below:

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K@4.2GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H100 | GPU: MSI Nvidia GTX 680 2GB Lightning 2GB VRAM @1.3GHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3 1600 | SSD 1: Corsair Force 3 120GB (SATA 6) | SSD 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB (SATA 6) | Hybrid disc: Seagate Momentus Hybrid 500/4GB (SATA 3) | Keyboard: QPAD MK-85 | Mouse: QPAD 5K LE | TrackIR 5 + Track Clip Pro | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind | OS: Win7/64

Will be great if you can share then, we had access to that too and the depth of information appears to be detailed enough to make the module authentic. Which is great news for everyone! :) You might save us time putting the clips together.

There's a Swedish film with clips of the radar in use also, so symbology should be mostly covered. There is only one thing i'm wondering about is the projection of the Maverick seeker will be harder to perform exactly.

That's a page from the unclassified part of the flight manual. While it is not exactly a widely circulated publication, it's not particularly hard to find either. The national military archives' library has a copy, for example. My photos of it are really bad because I couldn't get the pages flat - I plan to fix that on Saturday or next week by just opening the binder and re-photographing it - but here's the entire "presentation" section of the SFI (and again, sorry for the quality):

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8bCDRcq9BVeai1MaEplRzVXM3c/view?usp=sharing

Your pic is from paragraph 4.2 - page 14 in the PDF above.

Thanks!

Capture.thumb.JPG.0dd15c427fa304ab8e80b042beb50bf6.JPG

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

There is one thing at the main panel I just can't figure out, and that's the indicator for REV AVDR TRANSONIC. What the heck is that?

I'm pretty familiar with all kind of different Swedish military abbreviations, but this makes no sense to me.

It's a weird dual purpose warning light. REV AVDR stands for "reversering avdrag". If the thrust reverser is engaged, the light will turn on when the speed falls below 130 km/h, warning the pilot that he should reduce power. The lamp will also turn on while flying in the transonic region (mach 0.97-1.05).

The airshow trick where you turn the aircraft around using the thrust reverser is not really recommended for everyday use; at low speeds the disturbed air and dust kicked up by the reverser risk getting sucked into the air intakes, which can lead to stalling and FOD. Also, if you use the wheel brakes while the plane is moving backwards, you risk planting the entire thing on its rear end.

Is there any info on how that maverick display works? Is that crt monochrome display showing the video feed from the seeker or what?

I found this, this is the display in cockpit for the Maverick

[ame]http://saab.com/globalassets/commercial/air/avionics-systems/aviguide-helicopter/saabs-history-hud.pdf[/ame]

And lo, Reverend Vegas did say "Take forth unto the infidel the mighty GAU 8 and expend its holy 30MM so that freedom will be brung upon them who knoweth not the joys of BBBBBBBRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTT"

"Amen"

Yeah Im curious as to how they will implement it.

Excellent find by the way

And lo, Reverend Vegas did say "Take forth unto the infidel the mighty GAU 8 and expend its holy 30MM so that freedom will be brung upon them who knoweth not the joys of BBBBBBBRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTT"

"Amen"

Is this a common way to land an aircraft or is this something fairly unique to to the Viggen? :-)

You don't flare Viggen when doing a short-field landing, you do a carrier-style landing. The gears were build to handle it.

An requirement from the Swedish AF was that the plane could stop within 500m.

I noticed from the diagrams that the landing gear lever is not on the front panel, instead it's on the left side panel at the very rear, that to me appears quite unusual.

Yes, so are the many SAAB cars were ignition-key is on the center console, instead of the dash. SAAB always had to do something different/innovative;)

i7 8700k@4.7, 1080ti, DDR4 32GB, 2x SSD , HD 2TB, W10, ASUS 27", TrackIr5, TMWH, X-56, GProR.