DCS: AJS-37 Viggen Discussion

VEPR 12

Correct. This is what the unclassified part of the flight manual has to say about the weapon: http://imgur.com/a/NtY7f

To summarize in English, the guidance is inertial and target data (its geographical position in latitude/longitude) is either pre-loaded on the ground or programmed in flight via the data panel, which is next to the weapon selector panel on the right side of the cockpit. The dispenser approach altitude and sub-munition deployment altitude are both programmable independently of each other.

It sounds like you are saying it's full manual input, can it not take coordinates directly from radar data?

The system was originally really simple - one modem on the ground and one in the aircraft (initially J 35 only). The ground installation continuously sent data packets 103 bits long at 3000 bits/s, containing info about the target position, altitude, heading etc. Then it evolved over the years but the basics (including the 103-bit data packets!) persisted until the very end in the early 2000's. Not bad for a system designed in the dawn of the digital era...

I did a translation some time ago in another thread, for those who don't understand Swedish...

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2569468&postcount=2233

It sounds like you are saying it's full manual input, can it not take coordinates directly from radar data?

If I understand the flight manual correctly then no, it cannot. If you want to program the target data in the air, it looks like you basically have to punch the coordinates in on a keypad by hand.

If I understand the flight manual correctly then no, it cannot. If you want to program the target data in the air, it looks like you basically have to punch the coordinates in on a keypad by hand.

That adds the question wether the coordinate data will be editable in the mission editor or possibly the loadout menu. :-)

This actually adds an interesting cooperation possibility between Viggens and JTACs and / or A-10Cs.

JTAC or A-10 acts as forward air controller, finds and relays target coordinates from a standoff position, and Viggen enters coordinates, sends Mjölnirs away, also from a standoff position :).

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

I did a translation some time ago in another thread, for those who don't understand Swedish...

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2569468&postcount=2233

Outside of Europe, many people only know Swedish from the Swedish Chef on the Muppets - which is not even Swedish, but random gibberish interspersed with English. :doh:

So thanks for the translations. Got a fair idea that those who can speak Swedish will be getting a lot of translation requests in the near future :thumbup:

that post you linked has the Draken in it, damn it's beautiful aircraft, absolutely divine to look at. It was also the very first model aircraft I ever got and from there I have always loved the Swedish aircraft - great designs, great camo and your roundel looks cool as well.

The pilot workload on this bird seems pretty high. Two different sticks besides the flight stick to control weapons/radar. That sounds kinda dangerous, especially with the ground hugging philosophy in mind. There's a reason why comparable birds are all 2-seaters (Tornado, Su-24, F-111, F-15E).

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

The pilot workload on this bird seems pretty high. Two different sticks besides the flight stick to control weapons/radar. That sounds kinda dangerous, especially with the ground hugging philosophy in mind. There's a reason why comparable birds are all 2-seaters (Tornado, Su-24, F-111, F-15E).

Swedish Pilots have such good Fine motor skill when it comes to the

"Third arm"

So in situations where both the Radar and RB-05 controls needed to be used the Pilot could with ease continue to fly using the aforementioned third arm.

:v:

Edited by mattebubben

"Third arm"

So in situations where both the Radar and RB-05 controls needed to be used the Pilot could with ease continue to fly using the aforementioned third arm.

:lol:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

:lol:

"Third arm"

In addition to this, we have this top secret thing were you have to think in Swedish and the plane will fly itself, the makers of Firefox actually got that idea from us! :lol:

In addition to this, we have this top secret thing were you have to think in Swedish and the plane will fly itself, the makers of Firefox actually got that idea from us! :lol:

Like this?

Wi nøt trei a høliday in Sweden this yër? See the løveli lakes The wøndërful telephøne system?

Like this?

Wi nøt trei a høliday in Sweden this yër? See the løveli lakes The wøndërful telephøne system?

Ah yes, very good, I see you're already fluent, you're not going to have any problems reading the Speciell Förarinstruktion Fpl AJS-37. :pilotfly:

Like this?

Amazing, a fellow Swede! :megalol:

ASUS Z370, i7 8086K @ 5,2 Ghz, ASUS Strix GTX 1080, 16GB Ram, TM HOTAS Warthog, TrackIR 5, Saitek combat rudders, 25" 1440p monitor, Oculus Rift

Ah yes, very good, I see you're already fluent, you're not going to have any problems reading the Speciell Förarinstruktion Fpl AJS-37. :pilotfly:

Repeat after me: "Självsäker AJS Trettiosju skjuter sjömålsrobot mot sjuk sjörövare på sjön sjunkande från sjutusensjuhundrasjuttiosju fot" :smartass:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My computer specs below:

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K@4.2GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H100 | GPU: MSI Nvidia GTX 680 2GB Lightning 2GB VRAM @1.3GHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3 1600 | SSD 1: Corsair Force 3 120GB (SATA 6) | SSD 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB (SATA 6) | Hybrid disc: Seagate Momentus Hybrid 500/4GB (SATA 3) | Keyboard: QPAD MK-85 | Mouse: QPAD 5K LE | TrackIR 5 + Track Clip Pro | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind | OS: Win7/64

Repeat after me: "Självsäker AJS Trettiosju skjuter sjömålsrobot mot sjuk sjörövare på sjön sjunkande från sjutusensjuhundrasjuttiosju fot" :smartass:

"???!" AJS trettisyv skyter sjømålsrobot mot syke/syv(?) sjørøvere på sjøen fra syvtusensyvhundreoåsøttisyv fot. :D

Btw, in my dialect i do say "sju" but you know..

i m no Swede, but this o is danish or norwegien, Swedes have ö

Close enough :thumbup:

ASUS Z370, i7 8086K @ 5,2 Ghz, ASUS Strix GTX 1080, 16GB Ram, TM HOTAS Warthog, TrackIR 5, Saitek combat rudders, 25" 1440p monitor, Oculus Rift

This is sort of on-topic: The Royal Swedish Airforce flotilla of F7 Såtenäs (home of the only airworthy AJS 37 hence the "7" on the side of the nose) will be sending a X-mas greeting to the Västra Götaland region today. They will fly in X-mas tree formation and pass the following towns and cities:

Vara 14:53

Grästorp 14:56

Trollhättan 15:03

Uddevalla 15:06

Göteborg 15:15

Borås 15:21

Skara 15:32

Skövde 15:36

Mariestad 15:40

Lidköping 15:45

Thought some of my fellow Swedish armchair pilots would enjoy this.

EDIT: This is what it looked like over the train station in Trollhättan at approx 15:01. Filmed with my iPhone 6 hence the "quality"...

f7.thumb.png.ce424e9fa90404a1802f6d0ae11e9a02.png

Edited by El Hadji

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My computer specs below:

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K@4.2GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H100 | GPU: MSI Nvidia GTX 680 2GB Lightning 2GB VRAM @1.3GHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3 1600 | SSD 1: Corsair Force 3 120GB (SATA 6) | SSD 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB (SATA 6) | Hybrid disc: Seagate Momentus Hybrid 500/4GB (SATA 3) | Keyboard: QPAD MK-85 | Mouse: QPAD 5K LE | TrackIR 5 + Track Clip Pro | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind | OS: Win7/64

Outside of Europe, many people only know Swedish from the Swedish Chef on the Muppets - which is not even Swedish, but random gibberish interspersed with English. :doh:

So thanks for the translations. Got a fair idea that those who can speak Swedish will be getting a lot of translation requests in the near future :thumbup:

that post you linked has the Draken in it, damn it's beautiful aircraft, absolutely divine to look at. It was also the very first model aircraft I ever got and from there I have always loved the Swedish aircraft - great designs, great camo and your roundel looks cool as well.

You are welcome.

I have been in global company for 10 years, so almost everything I say and write is in english, so I believe I can do some good here. However there are some very system specific details I can't figure out on my own.

The Swedish armed forces has created a lot of interesting abbreviations, that doesn't make much sense until you know what they are about (but then it makes very much sense). So when translating a simple thing like the cockpit layout, you have to do a lot of cross-referencing in order to understand what it is and what it does.

There should be people aorund here with more experience of this aircraft than I do, so we will need to co-operate here.

Or just wait for the LNS provided manual ;)

By the way, a part of me was hoping for the Draken - it is indeed a beatiful peace of equipment