AV-8B Harrier Thread

Angelthunder

Nice, can't wait for it! :)

Mission: "To intercept and destroy aircraft and airborne missiles in all weather conditions in order to establish and maintain air superiority in a designated area. To deliver air-to-ground ordnance on time in any weather condition. And to provide tactical reconaissance imagery" - F-14 Tomcat Roll Call

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Zeus67,

Amazing work and keep the updates up. loving this dev interactions!

Do you think that with more "US aircraft" it will be easier to get things done with other similar aircraft? in other words how much do the "for example" existing DCS: A-10c systems architecture help in the development speed/ease of the AV8IINA?

Edited by sirscorpion

@Zeus67,

Do you think that with more "US aircraft" it will be easier to get things done with other similar aircraft? in other words how much do the "for example" existing DCS: A-10c systems architecture help in the development speed/ease of the AV8IINA?

I think most if not all but the basic code is proprietary, I.E. build your own code library, ED supply's basic code and function. Not quite sure about other high tech developments going on now tho?

I always looked at all this (correct me if I'm wrong), as the code that's been created by the developer would be somewhat coded like its a module in the module that can be redesigned or tweaked for something else. Like aircraft electrical circuits, afterburning turbofan jet engine etc. The more aircraft you do the more parts you have on the shelf. I think IIRC Yo-Yo saying that WW2 aircraft would take only 6 months to create with all the correct info in hand, now they had come up with the code for the model and piston engines to create these types of aircraft.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Took me three days but the STRS page is now functional. It is buggy but that's to be expected. I'll have it 100% operational and 95% free of bugs by Friday.

After the STRS page the next to be worked on will be the TPOD (LITENING) page.

17191791_1279384915481477_5076166109351724557_o.jpg?oh=bb180f872d277e34e01c299b5d507075&oe=59708B59&__gda__=1496406669_e00a0d6ea9f4e42b44b2d35ff19246fd

17158879_1279385005481468_7253819200311335109_o.jpg?oh=ba389f7dea35624696296248a5365b4d&oe=5930719B&__gda__=1496630721_fe21991dfcf4f840fb83f9c6135c9215

Zeus67 on FP page you said the loadout had an AGM 65K, I can't see it on this page is it on another page?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

@Zeus67,

I think most if not all but the basic code is proprietary, I.E. build your own code library, ED supply's basic code and function. Not quite sure about other high tech developments going on now tho?

I always looked at all this (correct me if I'm wrong), as the code that's been created by the developer would be somewhat coded like its a module in the module that can be redesigned or tweaked for something else. Like aircraft electrical circuits, afterburning turbofan jet engine etc. The more aircraft you do the more parts you have on the shelf. I think IIRC Yo-Yo saying that WW2 aircraft would take only 6 months to create with all the correct info in hand, now they had come up with the code for the model and piston engines to create these types of aircraft.

Building these mods is like building plastic models, the more you do the more "spare parts" you have. Also the learning curve gets shallower with each new project.

Having said that, each new aircraft is unique and have its own challenges. There are not two aircraft that have the same avionics even if they are built by the same manufacturer. So we do share code between projects but at the same time that code must be modified to fit the aircraft.

• Like 1

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

Zeus67 on FP page you said the loadout had an AGM 65K, I can't see it on this page is it on another page?

It is there. It is identified by the CCDMV label.

Mavericks are identified by seeker type:

AGM-65D == IRMV

AGM-65E == LSRMV

AGM-65K == CCDMV

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

Building these mods is like building plastic models, the more you do the more "spare parts" you have. Also the learning curve gets shallower with each new project.

Having said that, each new aircraft is unique and have its own challenges. There are not two aircraft that have the same avionics even if they are built by the same manufacturer. So we do share code between projects but at the same time that code must be modified to fit the aircraft.

Thanks for the response. @Zeus67.

@David OC

I sure hope that code is not proprietary, yeah some of the modules might locked by OEM contract , but in a small dev environment like this that can really add a huge redundancy in development time and learning curve.

Edited by sirscorpion

This thread is really good, its really interesting to see how a module is put together.

Sorry for asking such a trivial question, but the stuff we're seeing is very early development progress right? Granted, it is going extremely quickly.

A lot of the people I've talked to seem to think that lots of eye candy = almost ready.

DCS modules are built up to a spec, not down to a schedule.

In order to utilize a system to your advantage, you must know how it works.

Sorry for asking such a trivial question, but the stuff we're seeing is very early development progress right? Granted, it is going extremely quickly.

A lot of the people I've talked to seem to think that lots of eye candy = almost ready.

NO..that´s the real deal progress, no more eye candy, of course some stuff is still work of progress but none of it it´s code related

It is the real deal and also it is not almost ready. The AV-8B is a complex aircraft with more complex instruments than the M-2000C. What you are seeing are systems that are "ready for testing" but there are still a lot of them to be developed before the aircraft is "ready for integral test".

The MPCDs have 18 main pages. Some of those have as much as 7 subpages. In total there are about 40 pages to be coded. Many will be fully functional, some will be partially functional and some will be barely functional. It depends on available information and if DCS can support that functionality. For example the IFF page has several modes and a couple of subpages but since there is no IFF in DCS it will never be fully functional.

• Like 1

Can you guys already estimate in which condition this will hit early access? Will it be similar to the Mirage (basics working, but a lot of stuff still to be done) or are you aiming for a more complete release this time?

Either way is fine by me, I'd just like to know what to expect. :)

Specs:

i9 10900K @ 5.1 GHz, EVGA GTX 1080Ti, MSI Z490 MEG Godlike, 32GB DDR4 @ 3600, Win 10, Samsung S34E790C, Vive, TIR5, 10cm extended Warthog on WarBRD, Crosswinds

Can you guys already estimate in which condition this will hit early access? Will it be similar to the Mirage (basics working, but a lot of stuff still to be done) or are you aiming for a more complete release this time?

Either way is fine by me, I'd just like to know what to expect. :)

Very likely when all the basics are working. But that must be determined yet.

As promised the bug was found and squashed. Now the STRS page is working as intended. And look! The AA gunsight page is ready as well! Here we have the Long Range AA Gunsight (the small dashed circle) and the Short Range AA Gunsight (the big circle). The long range sight is fixed at 2,400 feet. The short range sight is fixed at 1,200 feet. Now I need to boresight them.

The AIM-9 sights will be ready tomorrow. Promise!

17157621_1280818242004811_8822923356767056157_o.jpg?oh=db782c4d800642835f62afc4f047f822&oe=592A068D&__gda__=1496151129_1d6cfdd236ef10e7c2b0d936471ed829

17192553_1280818328671469_7947554640455845056_o.jpg?oh=5df96524afe1687dba0a4979647ed9da&oe=592D47C6&__gda__=1496131821_828a615fe9bd90f5b0e97babde5486a4

/QUOTE]

Friking Great work!

Zeus67, A very small request, can we get some spread on the guns? Like the current F15C in game or the f-5 Tiger?

It seems there are some aircraft in DCS that have it and some are "pin point" grouping, "M2000 has that issue as well same with some Russian aircraft in DCS"

Also a great documentary about the GUA-12/u

F-5 tiger guns spread is way too big, it's already been reported.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

It is there. It is identified by the CCDMV label.

Mavericks are identified by seeker type:

AGM-65D == IRMV

AGM-65E == LSRMV

AGM-65K == CCDMV

Sorry, if this was always asked and answered: Will you develop your own AGM-65E or will you able to use the one from ED, which was removed for the A-10C some time ago?

Hardware: Intel i5 4670K | Zalman NPS9900MAX | GeIL 16GB @1333MHz | Asrock Z97 Pro4 | Sapphire Radeon R9 380X Nitro | Samsung SSDs 840 series 120GB & 250 GB | Samsung HD204UI 2TB | be quiet! Pure Power 530W | Aerocool RS-9 Devil Red | Samsung SyncMaster SA350 24" + ASUS VE198S 19" | Saitek X52 | TrackIR 5 | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Speedlink Darksky LED | Razor Diamondback | Razor X-Mat Control | SoundBlaster Tactic 3D Rage ### Software: Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sorry, if this was always asked and answered: Will you develop your own AGM-65E or will you able to use the one from ED, which was removed for the A-10C some time ago?

Interesting question, especially if you're considering that it will propbably be reintroduced by ED with the F/A-18C.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg