The Enemy Within DLC

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I seem to remember that spotting has become very difficult in 1.5 ...

Agreed.

I flew Op Bactria today (amazing MP mission) with two buddies and we finally had to abort one of the objectives because we were fast approaching Bingo fuel and still hadn't found all enemies - in an open field between two small towns. It's not like the enemy units were well hidden, they were just almost invisible, both in the TGP (all modes) and visually.

I hope ED will look into this. It's been mentioned many times and it can actually break missions that were a lot easier when they were designed.

The really bad thing is that I don't see an easy workaround, unless all targets are marked with an adjacent huge red container or something.

I don't believe finding targets in the TGP is as difficult IRL, at least I don't recall anyone arguing in this regard. It just seems as if the new 1.5 ground textures, however beautiful they are, pretty much render the TGP useless.

Edited by Yurgon

I would like to hear from a real world pilot in this matter. Targets with camo paint can't be easy to spot. Particularly in desert terrain. I agree it has become much harder.....I'm just not sure if that isn't more realistic.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]WIN 10, i7 10700, 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080 Super, Crucial 1TB SSD, Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD, TM Warthog with 10cm extension, TIR5, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Wheelstand Pro, LG 40" 4K TV, Razer Black Widow Ultimate KB[/size]

I would like to hear from a real world pilot in this matter. Targets with camo paint can't be easy to spot. Particularly in desert terrain. I agree it has become much harder.....I'm just not sure if that isn't more realistic.

With CCD and Mk1 eyeball, I agree, that would make sense. :thumbup:

Of course, shadows might and should still give them away depending on the sun's position, and if the camo paint doesn't match the ground, it should be less efficient.

In one of the early campaign missions I just spent quite some time heads down on the TGP to spot a few trucks with barrels on the cargo area (no camouflage nets or anything), and they were almost invisible regardless of sensor.

In addition to that, whenever the discussion of full color CCDs comes up, the predominant argument, as I recall it, is that B/W CCDs simply offer superior contrast over color CCDs. This currently doesn't seem to be reflected in 1.5.

Most importantly, WHOT/BHOT. In these modes, it seems that ground clutter, trees and bushes have roughly the same thermal footprint as active and running trucks, IFVs, MBTs, you name it. If that was realistic, why even use FLIR in the first place? :smartass:

Without any solid data to back up my claim, I think spotting targets in 1.5 is currently unrealistically difficult. But you're definitely right, it would be great if a real world pilot could say a few words (without giving away classified information, obviously). :thumbup:

Edit: Request sent. ;)

Edited by Yurgon

Yurgon.......I think we deserve classified information. Its DCS World for God's sake. It's not like its going to fall into the wrong hands.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]WIN 10, i7 10700, 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080 Super, Crucial 1TB SSD, Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD, TM Warthog with 10cm extension, TIR5, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Wheelstand Pro, LG 40" 4K TV, Razer Black Widow Ultimate KB[/size]

In mission 2 I made it back to base and performed a landing with a damaged front gear wheel. I was then stuck on the runway and could not taxi to the parking area. Does that count as a fail? It seemed like it did since I couldn't proceed to mission 3. :)

I had the same problem.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I also had a damaged front gear but to not take any chances after landing I shutdown my engines and called the ground crew for repair. Mission was succesfull after I taxied to parking. I don't know if it would count as a fail if I didn't do it but keep that method in mind.

Noted, I will check the triggers and fix that, will keep you posted.

For the moment in M2 when landing wirh damaged wheels (who would have thought this kind of terror attack would be so common?!) try to land in the second half of the runway. I will just need to move the trigger zone closer. Or better still - just fly over the runway at first approach (along the whole length) and then land on second approach. Sorry for the inconvenience caused!

ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

A question about mission 3:

When I came to the destroyed village I forgot to go into the F10 meny and report the destruction. If I would have done that would I then have received some indication about where the bad guys were? Now I just ordered my wingman to engage air defenses and observed where he shot at. Otherwise they would have been hard to find.

Yurgon.......I think we deserve classified information. Its DCS World for God's sake. It's not like its going to fall into the wrong hands.

Right, like it can get any worse. A-10C is a western bloc jet being modeled to high fidelity by some guys in Moscow. Like that's not enough. :)

My controls & seat

Main controls: , BRD-N v4 Flightstick (Kreml C5 controller), TM Warthog Throttle (Kreml F3 controller), BRD-F2 Restyling Bf-109 Pedals w. damper, TrackIR5, Gametrix KW-908 (integrated into RAV4 seat)

Stick grips:

Thrustmaster Warthog

Thrustmaster Cougar (x2)

Thrustmaster F-16 FLCS

BRD KG13

Standby controls:

BRD-M2 Mi-8 Pedals (Ruddermaster controller)

BRD-N v3 Flightstick w. exch. grip upgrade (Kreml C5 controller)

Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle

Pilot seat

A quick question. In mission 3 there was some line "bulls 38 for 32" or something like that. What does that mean?

The target is located at a compass bearing of 038 degrees and a distance of 32 miles from the bullseye.

There are different ways to locate such positions. You could use the F10 map, you could use the TAD, or you could use the CDU to create a waypoint from the OFFSET menu (if I recall correctly).

Hey Baltic,

First off great campaign! I would like to note an issue I am having. For OP Hammerfall 1 I have completed the mission 3 times now and at the end of the mission when I land I get no mission complete message. Score is at 90 then I go to load next mission and its hammerfall 1 again. Anyone else having issues?

V/R,

Ohgr

VCVW-11 "Vapor"

USN AE 2001-2015

Heatblur Tomcat Tester

Hey Baltic,

First off great campaign! I would like to note an issue I am having. For OP Hammerfall 1 I have completed the mission 3 times now and at the end of the mission when I land I get no mission complete message. Score is at 90 then I go to load next mission and its hammerfall 1 again. Anyone else having issues?

Hey, I will check it tomorrow morning, though it sounds weird.. If anyone experiences this, please let me know!

4th time was a charm Baltic, thanks :)

Glad to hear that. Have you found anything you did differently on the last go? If anything comes to your mind please PM me, perhaps there are ways to tweak the mission! Nobody should be forced to fly the same thing three times, unless he does something wrong in the mission itself ;)

Edited by baltic_dragon

The target is located at a compass bearing of 038 degrees and a distance of 32 miles from the bullseye.

There are different ways to locate such positions. You could use the F10 map, you could use the TAD, or you could use the CDU to create a waypoint from the OFFSET menu (if I recall correctly).

Great, thanks for the help!