The Enemy Within DLC

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now I've completed the first four missions, and I must say that you learn alot doing these and you also realize where you have to do some more training. Mission four made it very obvious that I have to do some more training on dropping MK-82s and also my night landnings could be improved. :)

Btw, markpoints are great to mark up targets before going in!

I'm also on Hammerfall part 3 and I just can't seem to take out the SA-9 before being cut to shreds by either a SAM or the AAA.

My TGP is completely unable to see through the cloud cover at altitude as suggested in the briefing ("Scope out enemy positions").

As the SA-9 is an IR launcher, my jammer has no effect.

I'm about to start my 4th try on this and it's just getting frustrating having to go through startup, the flight there, just to get lit up and brought down before I have a chance to target and engage out of range. The problem is I have to drop before the cloud cover dangerously close to be able to spot and target the Air Defenses. My wingmen immediately go defensive as well and usually go down within 30 seconds of myself

Any help please?

Edited by kerlix
additional info

ASUS Sabertooth P67 :: Intel i5-2500 3.0 GHz :: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 :: 16 GB DDR3 RAM :: Crucial 240 GB SSD :: WD Black 2TB HD :: 50" Magnavox TV as monitor :: TrackIR 5 :: Saitek X52 :: Saitek Rudder Pedals

I'm also on Hammerfall part 3 and I just can't seem to take out the SA-9 before being cut to shreds by either a SAM or the AAA.

My TGP is completely unable to see through the cloud cover at altitude as suggested in the briefing ("Scope out enemy positions").

As the SA-9 is an IR launcher, my jammer has no effect.

I'm about to start my 4th try on this and it's just getting frustrating having to go through startup, the flight there, just to get lit up and brought down before I have a chance to target and engage out of range. The problem is I have to drop before the cloud cover dangerously close to be able to spot and target the Air Defenses. My wingmen immediately go defensive as well and usually go down within 30 seconds of myself

Any help please?

Back in my day when I first started gaming, I would press the M L I keys together on the keyboard. It gives full health and ammo

Other goodies were IDDQD and IDKFA

Not sure if it helps back 20 years ago it worked wonders when I couldn't get past a mission

The dive bombing method doesn't work. You need to dip below the clouds before you get to the "scope out enemy positions marker". Once there you have to use the valley and stay far enough away to launch a MAV at the AAA positions and on the SA-9.

I'm still working on completing it but thats the only way I can see doing it

Frustratingly, I managed to destroy everything "needed" up to a certain point and was then instructed to contact JTAC. Unfortunately, I was stupid and about 40 minutes beforehand, bound one of my TrackIR keys to F10, which is (of course) the button to contact JTAC. Haha.

I couldn't believe it. My own fault though.

My technique was to dip below the clouds, figure out where the SAM-9 was, make a mental note, climb back above the soup and then slew the MAV to that area. I got lucky and managed to take out the SAM, as well as some MANPADS. I rifled off a few Mav's in quick succession to try to improve my odds.

Also, baltic_dragon, I know during the briefings there are "loadout restrictions". What are the penalties for deviating from the predefined loadout? (Besides feeling like a cheater in the pit of my soul) Nothing major, just swapping one thing out for another in most cases.

ASUS Sabertooth P67 :: Intel i5-2500 3.0 GHz :: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 :: 16 GB DDR3 RAM :: Crucial 240 GB SSD :: WD Black 2TB HD :: 50" Magnavox TV as monitor :: TrackIR 5 :: Saitek X52 :: Saitek Rudder Pedals

Also, baltic_dragon, I know during the briefings there are "loadout restrictions". What are the penalties for deviating from the predefined loadout? (Besides feeling like a cheater in the pit of my soul) Nothing major, just swapping one thing out for another in most cases.

No penalties, AFAIK in real life you would have a set of weapons chosen by the mission planner or weapons officer. But feel free to change it. Usually the ones proposed are trying to be realistic and also balanced for the mission (so that it isn't too difficult or too easy). Sure, you can load 6 mavs :) but it isn't done in real life and it would just be too easy sometimes. Still, if anyone has problems with beating a certain mission, feel free to experiment with payloads!

ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

Ha, I try to minimize the changes made to the default loadout and keep it realistic without just going crazy with 6 Mav's, 6 LGB's, and a CLU-103 with 50% fuel just to get off the ground in time.

Thanks for the quick response.

Also, excellent campaign. It's challenging and incredibly fun. It's also forced me to learn how to do things I've never done before, like entering coordinates, bulleye offsets, etc. I think it's great.

Speaking of difficult missions, I find the "Storm before the calm" (night mission near the Armenian border) very hard. Mostly because of the poor TGP performance in IR mode. If it wasn't for the wingman who always magically knows where the enemy is, I would had no chance to find the 6 moving targets. Even with his assistance, I was not able to complete the mission without taking 4 MAVs.

To be fair, I suck at gun/rocket runs, even more so at night.:)

Speaking of difficult missions, I find the "Storm before the calm" (night mission near the Armenian border) very hard. Mostly because of the poor TGP performance in IR mode. If it wasn't for the wingman who always magically knows where the enemy is, I would had no chance to find the 6 moving targets. Even with his assistance, I was not able to complete the mission without taking 4 MAVs.

To be fair, I suck at gun/rocket runs, even more so at night.:)

True, it is more difficult now. But this mission is a perfect showcase how much the load out matters - if you took 6 mavs there would be no problem in finishing it! :music_whistling:

I'm having trouble on "Scramble!" right now. I'm not sure if I'm NOT supposed to wait for the INS to align itself. I've been waiting the full 4 minutes and the second I start rolling, I take a mortar shell.

I guess I'll try it without alignment since there aren't any waypoints anyways.

But without it, I won't have EAC. Which will make the guns (only) runs interesting.

Scramble... I like that mission.

There are several things you can do:

1. Wait for alignment to complete and roll ASAP afterwards, it is possible to take off

2. Change to in-flight alignment which takes longer, but lets your GPS align while flying

3. Turn EAC on when at around 3.0 or 3.2. Your gun should work normally then!

As you are required to take off ASAP, I'd recommend option 2 or 3...

Or you can do without alignment but just put your depressible piper lower on your HUD to much the targeting point with a few trial runs, but be careful not to loose too much ammo. You may need it!

Regarding mission Hammerfall Patrol:

I only destroyed one vehicle in this mission (but got back to base and could proceed to the next mission even though Echo 2 was defeated). I had some trouble understandning where the baddies were. Were all of them in the village to the north? That is those three houses and the mortars I was supposed to destroy.

Regarding mission Hammerfall Patrol:

I only destroyed one vehicle in this mission (but got back to base and could proceed to the next mission even though Echo 2 was defeated). I had some trouble understandning where the baddies were. Were all of them in the village to the north? That is those three houses and the mortars I was supposed to destroy.

Hey,

The buildings are just at the outskirts of the village to the north, they should be shooting at Echo 2. Others are coming on the road from the north, the ZU-23s are next to the mosque, and the mortars further north from them. Hope this helps!

Reg. Hammerfall pt.2

I located the camp and blew upp a tent including some soldiers and a manpad with a Maverick. I then dropped an MK-82 on a truck. Then I called in the SU-25s and continued with the route. I made it back and taxied to the parking area. However, I only reached 50 and didn't succeed to the next mission. Was anything else supposed to happen or did I miss something?

..and my answer:

You are supposed to destroy all units in the camp. Sometimes Georgians manage to do that themselves, but not always, so stay over target area and help if needed. You will get the message from Overlord when you can move on.

Also, tune in to Pontiac and note down grids he gives you, he spots additional targets for you to destroy for extra points

I'm currently at the point of completing what I "think" is the final mission. Although I'm not sure. Basically where it's time to get low while in the soup among other things and do some serious damage to the enemy. I forget the mission name at the moment, but baltic_dragon, I hope you know which one I mean. I'm trying not to give away any spoilers to those that haven't reached it yet.

If you know which one I'm talking about, you can understand my hesitation haha. It sounds insanely fun, but insanely insane.

This campaign has been great from the start. One thing I love (and hate) are those MANPADS or Stingers that come flying up at you, even when at 15-16k ft. I just hope to be looking in the right direction (steep bank, looking down) when that trail comes up. I've been bitten more than once.

Or doing something dumb like flying down into a valley to use a gun run or rockets on some troops without realizing there's some AAA on the side of the valley and taking hits from what is probably 300 feet away haha.

On that note, it's not related to the campaign, but that scenario did happen to me once and just before I lost control and plowed into the other side of the valley at an incredibly strange orientation (I thought I could bring it back up for a moment) I heard Betty screaming "SPEED-BRAKE, SPEED-BRAKE!" at me. I know I had lost hydraulics on both sides (lucky me.). Did that just mean that my speedbrakes were opening on their own? I'm just curious.