Mustang seems now too easy to me !

CHDT

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After a 6 month break, I decided to jump in the Mustang, but I had forgotten the trim settings, which are essential in this aircraft, so I just opened the tap to see what would happen. Apart from a little right rudder it just flew off. Wheels up, flaps up, throttle back, wheels down, flaps down, land. At no time was the trim touched. Take off again and flew S&L. Despite violent changes in power and speed, it just went where you pointed it. Low level, sit back and watch the countryside, hands off.

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

Is it possible now to replicate that in the sim...

dy3rtj.jpg

... that means, full power with bad trimming = aircraft out off the runway or even on the back.

Before the patch, the Mustang had to be flown at the start "by the book" and I loved it.

Now, after the patch, no need of anything, full power and go !

I can accept that the FM's have not changed, but something has changed, for instance where's the torque gone ?

Before the patch, there was even the need of training videos for flying the Mustang:

http://escadrille-manticore.forumactif.org/t14-apprentissage-du-p51-d-tf51-en-video#16

I had to follow such videos, because everytime at start I broke the aircraft.

And now, after three months of not using it, I can put full power and go.

PS: another thing, before the patch, just for rolling the P-51, I had to use the brakes.

Now brakes are no more needed to roll !

Edited by CHDT

Well, I just fired up Mustang in 2.0 and floored the throttle fast without trimming the rudder, or using the rudder at all. Needless to say, the plane turned left immediately and crashed. Then I tried taking off with smoother throttle input and no rudder trim. Throughout the whole take-off run, right rudder input was necessary to keep the plane on the runway. So nothing seems th have changed in this aspect I'd say.

Edit - as for the taxiing, even more brakes are needed now for tight turns, with this still bugged, non-castoring tailwheel. For shallow turns, brakes were never needed and it's the same now.

Edited by Art-J

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

• ED Team
So would it be possible that some of us have a problem with the config files being stuck in easy mode with assistance ?

Can you confirm you dont have any aids on in the Special section for the P-51D, and make sure you are looking at the P-51D, and not the TF-51D.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Yes, I'm in the "P-51D", without any aids.

Btw, when in flight, no problems, the aircraft is still a beauty :-)

PS: I've had a very strange problem when starting the game for the first time after patching.

When pressing F2 to get an external view, the game get accelerated. And I cannot change this in the setup. And suddenly, I don't know why, I had the external view when pressing F2 !

• ED Team
It's quite possible, I begin to think also the problem could be on my computer.

When I get home I will give the Mustang a go, just to make sure I am not lying and something didnt go wonky.... but seems pretty isolated right now.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

I just tested the P51 in both 1.5 and 2.0. It is much easier to takeoff than it had been. Too easy.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]WIN 10, i7 10700, 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080 Super, Crucial 1TB SSD, Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD, TM Warthog with 10cm extension, TIR5, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Wheelstand Pro, LG 40" 4K TV, Razer Black Widow Ultimate KB[/size]

Interesting thing......in 1.5...takeoff assistance had been set at 100....must have happened with the update. With the setting at 0, the takeoff is as it should be.....difficult. I assumed I would find the same thing in 2.0, however takeoff assistance had been left at 0 which is where I always keep it. Yet, the takeoff in 2.0 was too easy as though takeoff assistance was set to 100. For me, the issue resides with 2.0 only.

Edited by jcbak

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]WIN 10, i7 10700, 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080 Super, Crucial 1TB SSD, Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD, TM Warthog with 10cm extension, TIR5, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Wheelstand Pro, LG 40" 4K TV, Razer Black Widow Ultimate KB[/size]

It works as it should in 1.5. If I use takeoff assistance its very, very easy. If I slide it back to zero, you have your hands full....at least I do.

I remember reading a part in Robin Olds biography of a time he ground looped a mustang during one of his first landings because he throttled up just before touching down. If I recall he lightly damaged his plane then had to taxi up to a band or a bunch of nurses or something that were there on the side line which I guess dented his pride a little. I'll have to look that part up again... Anyways I have tried to recreate that effect but nothing felt super substantial to me. Then again it is only a simulator. I will add though the last time my engine seized in mid flight it made a very harsh sound and I felt like my plane would have done a barrel role if I had not corrected it. It actually scared me a little lol. Not sure if that is new but it never had that affect on me like that before 1.5.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Adulthood is like looking both ways before you cross the street and then getting hit by an airplane."

Dogs of War Dedicated WWII Server Thread

Talisman, impossible, I cannot be that good :-)

No, there's a problem, either with my config files or it's something else.

To the old simmers, now at start the DCS Mustang flies almost like the IL2 P-39, when it was broken after some patch.

Ewertsp, I agree with you, no noticable differences in flight, but a drastic difference at take-off regarding the torque.

Yes you can. Easy to check, get a non simmer friend of yours to try taking off. Instruct him. See him crash & burn. That's how I checked for the "dumbing down". :)

My controls & seat

Main controls: , BRD-N v4 Flightstick (Kreml C5 controller), TM Warthog Throttle (Kreml F3 controller), BRD-F2 Restyling Bf-109 Pedals w. damper, TrackIR5, Gametrix KW-908 (integrated into RAV4 seat)

Stick grips:

Thrustmaster Warthog

Thrustmaster Cougar (x2)

Thrustmaster F-16 FLCS

BRD KG13

Standby controls:

BRD-M2 Mi-8 Pedals (Ruddermaster controller)

BRD-N v3 Flightstick w. exch. grip upgrade (Kreml C5 controller)

Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle

Pilot seat

Smoother / faster FDM cycles make the whole experience a lot more stable and realistic.

Not sure if that is waht you are getting at, but AFAIK, all physical calculations for DCS run at a fixed (or at least minimum) framerate much higher than the framerate of the graphics engine to ensure that errors due to temporal resolution remain constant and deterministic.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

Context: I've got 20+ years of flight simming experience, with some limited time flying general aviation aircraft.

I just got back into the hobby with V2.0 and have been flying the P-51, ME109, and FW190.

I was impressed with the 109 and 190 and believe the FM is "close" but needs some work.

The P-51 was a colossal disappointment. Although it seems to fly "normally" in the air, it seems incredibly easy to takeoff... There is just zero torque effects, gyro precession, etc... It's like a night/day difference... One can just slam the throttle forward and compensate with an almost imperceptible amount of right rudder... I just can't believe this is the way this bird would have handled... The physics don't say it would and the pilot stories don't either... I'm hoping this is just a bug that will get fixed...

Not having flown any DCS planes before 2.0, I can't compare the P-51 to itself before 2.0. But relative to the german planes there's just no comparison... It's ground behavior is simply non-existent...

Not having flown any DCS planes before 2.0, I can't compare the P-51 to itself before 2.0. But relative to the german planes there's just no comparison... It's ground behavior is simply non-existent...

P51 has steerable tail wheel.

Wir sehen uns in Walhalla.

Context: I've got 20+ years of flight simming experience, with some limited time flying general aviation aircraft.

I just got back into the hobby with V2.0 and have been flying the P-51, ME109, and FW190.

I was impressed with the 109 and 190 and believe the FM is "close" but needs some work.

The P-51 was a colossal disappointment. Although it seems to fly "normally" in the air, it seems incredibly easy to takeoff... There is just zero torque effects, gyro precession, etc... It's like a night/day difference... One can just slam the throttle forward and compensate with an almost imperceptible amount of right rudder... I just can't believe this is the way this bird would have handled... The physics don't say it would and the pilot stories don't either... I'm hoping this is just a bug that will get fixed...

Its a bug of some sort. Fly the P51 in 1.5 and be sure that takeoff assistance is set to 0. You will absolutely notice the difference.