The DCS Updater / Launcher GUI Utility Version 2.0 (2023+)

1 hour ago, MAXsenna said:

I think we talked passed each other.
Obviously we chose the x64 exe in the first place. (Why would we prefer the x86?). And that does not show the Icon, while we still can launch TacView, even if the icon is not displayed. And because we're IT dudes, we wanted to check if the x86 made a difference. That's what we do! Well, that didn't work, so I just gave you a heads up. Nothing more! emoji6.png

Have a fantastic Saturday!

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

Less memory usage in 32-Bit Mode?

Either way, a quick rewrite of the Check function may be needed, as Loading the Icon is part of that function, but if Logs say it's detected and installed, it's simply not able to access the file to pull the icon from it, however, if logs show its not detected as installed, then it's a "Check" function path issue. and the Launch Function is able to launch despite the Check Function not able to verify the file / directory exists.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

The icon is presented when the path to TacView (64 bit) is set. However, when the updater/launcher app is closed and reopened, the icon is gone and stays gone but TacView still loads normal when selected through the app. The only option to bring the icon back is to re-select the TacView path. The icon then shows up again until the updater/launcher app is closed. That's all... 

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Less memory usage in 32-Bit Mode?

Either way, a quick rewrite of the Check function may be needed, as Loading the Icon is part of that function, but if Logs say it's detected and installed, it's simply not able to access the file to pull the icon from it, however, if logs show its not detected as installed, then it's a "Check" function path issue. and the Launch Function is able to launch despite the Check Function not able to verify the file / directory exists.

Haha! Good one! I see your point, but no, memory is not something I usually worry about. I'm used to just throwing more at it if it was a problem. Coming from oil and gas where they sometimes had to open a 100 GB seismic file, that was pretty much the only solution.
Like I wrote I'm an IT admin, I don't care about issues and problems. I just want to know how fix them. It works for me, except the icon. If you can give me a pointer to what to look for in the logs, it'd be much appreciated, if that will help you.

Cheers!

5 hours ago, Lange_666 said:

The icon is presented when the path to TacView (64 bit) is set. However, when the updater/launcher app is closed and reopened, the icon is gone and stays gone but TacView still loads normal when selected through the app. The only option to bring the icon back is to re-select the TacView path. The icon then shows up again until the updater/launcher app is closed. That's all... 

Are you using the default path \Program Files (x86)\Tacview\?

or another location, it might be a user path issue, like I said, I'll likely re-write it w/ a select folder dialog that way a user can choose 64/32 bit if they so choose.

5 hours ago, MAXsenna said:

Haha! Good one! I see your point, but no, memory is not something I usually worry about. I'm used to just throwing more at it if it was a problem. Coming from oil and gas where they sometimes had to open a 100 GB seismic file, that was pretty much the only solution.
Like I wrote I'm an IT admin, I don't care about issues and problems. I just want to know how fix them. It works for me, except the icon. If you can give me a pointer to what to look for in the logs, it'd be much appreciated, if that will help you.

Cheers!

in the log, during the startup checks, ~ line 135, you'll see:

09/09/2023 | 09:29:43 PM | CHECK    | Checking for Tacview Software
09/09/2023 | 09:29:43 PM | CHECK    | Checking Default Path

it should say whether or not it was detected,
As stated above, I think there might be something hinky with user paths / check and trying to pull the icon, if you are using a custom user path instead of the default install path.

• Like 1

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

On 9/3/2023 at 3:44 PM, alismith said:

Skatezilla wont allow me to load multi-thread it states that my binaries arent detected? Is there anyone who can locate my binaries? ThanksIMG_1641.jpg

IMG_1640.jpg

Multi-Threaded Binaries are Located in:

\DCS World\Bin-mt\

Also there's really no reason to put the --Force_enable_vr, Argument in there,
Just use "Launch VR On" button. (make sure you select the proper VR API first)

Edited by SkateZilla
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, SkateZilla said:

Are you using the default path \Program Files (x86)\Tacview\?

or another location, it might be a user path issue, like I said, I'll likely re-write it w/ a select folder dialog that way a user can choose 64/32 bit if they so choose.

in the log, during the startup checks, ~ line 135, you'll see:

09/09/2023 | 09:29:43 PM | CHECK    | Checking for Tacview Software
09/09/2023 | 09:29:43 PM | CHECK    | Checking Default Path

Normally i don't use the default path if i can avoid it. I can only check the startup checks in a week or 2 (on holiday right now). 

• Like 1

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

I seem to be unable to control presets in the new utility.  I'm seeing a message in the logs "unable to find preset file."  Please advise on how to fix this.

Thanks for your time.

Edit:  I've installed for the first time on a different machine and it seems to be working as intended.  Probably borked something while updating on the other?  I had simply copied the contents of the zip over the existing.

Second Edit:  I fixed it.  I needed to re-map my Saved Games\DCS folder.

Edited by ivaarsen

• 2 weeks later...

Getting a crash on any preset other than default.  

The error message is something to do with copying a file

Error "System.IO.IOException: Cannot create a file when that file already exists."

when DCS-Updater calling a CopyOrMoveFile(...) command (below):

CopyOrMoveFile(CopyOrMove operation, String sourceFileName, String destinationFileName, Boolean overwrite, UIOptionInternal showUI, UICancelOption onUserCancel)

Wish I knew what the parameters were to give a clue.  I'd be happy to get/run a debug version which showed the values being passed in to give a clue as to what is causing an exception.  Perhaps setting the overwrite flag to true could help? 

Spoiler

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.IO.IOException: Cannot create a file when that file already exists.

at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
   at System.IO.File.InternalMove(String sourceFileName, String destFileName, Boolean checkHost)
   at Microsoft.VisualBasic.FileIO.FileSystem.CopyOrMoveFile(CopyOrMove operation, String sourceFileName, String destinationFileName, Boolean overwrite, UIOptionInternal showUI, UICancelOption onUserCancel)
   at DCS_Updater_GUI_Utility.Form_Main.PRESET_ON()
   at DCS_Updater_GUI_Utility.Form_Main.LAUNCHDCSVRON()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

13 minutes ago, StrykerSH said:

Getting a crash on any preset other than default.  

The error message is something to do with copying a file

Error "System.IO.IOException: Cannot create a file when that file already exists."

when DCS-Updater calling a CopyOrMoveFile(...) command (below):

CopyOrMoveFile(CopyOrMove operation, String sourceFileName, String destinationFileName, Boolean overwrite, UIOptionInternal showUI, UICancelOption onUserCancel)

Wish I knew what the parameters were to give a clue.  I'd be happy to get/run a debug version which showed the values being passed in to give a clue as to what is causing an exception.  Perhaps setting the overwrite flag to true could help? 

Reveal hidden contents

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.IO.IOException: Cannot create a file when that file already exists.

at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
   at System.IO.File.InternalMove(String sourceFileName, String destFileName, Boolean checkHost)
   at Microsoft.VisualBasic.FileIO.FileSystem.CopyOrMoveFile(CopyOrMove operation, String sourceFileName, String destinationFileName, Boolean overwrite, UIOptionInternal showUI, UICancelOption onUserCancel)
   at DCS_Updater_GUI_Utility.Form_Main.PRESET_ON()
   at DCS_Updater_GUI_Utility.Form_Main.LAUNCHDCSVRON()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

If it's happening during PRESET_ON,

It's likely because the app is trying to move the DCS Default Options.lua from the /Saved Games/DCS/ Root, to the /Presets/Default/ Store folder, and there is already an old options.lua file there.

I had this same issue today with the "Cannot create a file when that file already exists" today when trying to launch VR.  Yesterday I noticed all of my presets were gone when I opened the app.  I manually restored them from backup, but didn't try launching VR yesterday.  Default 2d launch worked yesterday.  I assumed Windows updated something that broke it.

Thanks for the preset feature, I finally got to try it. Only way to get it working without resetting every setting was to start DCS and making a baseline. Then starting the presets one by one and shutting down, then copy my baseline into every preset. Then starting up the presets again one by one, and doing the changes in DCS, and shutting down. If I even try to use the in app preset editor it will reset and corrupt the options.lua for that preset and DCS won't start. It does throw some error about changing some settings I didn't even touch. If I don't save all is good. Now I know this, so it works for me, but would it would be nice to know what I'm doing wrong.

Cheers!

12 hours ago, 01G8R said:

I had this same issue today with the "Cannot create a file when that file already exists" today when trying to launch VR.  Yesterday I noticed all of my presets were gone when I opened the app.  I manually restored them from backup, but didn't try launching VR yesterday.  Default 2d launch worked yesterday.  I assumed Windows updated something that broke it.

The issue was fixed internally a few weeks ago, but I may adjust some of the exception behavior before the next public version.

8 hours ago, MAXsenna said:

Thanks for the preset feature, I finally got to try it. Only way to get it working without resetting every setting was to start DCS and making a baseline. Then starting the presets one by one and shutting down, then copy my baseline into every preset. Then starting up the presets again one by one, and doing the changes in DCS, and shutting down. If I even try to use the in app preset editor it will reset and corrupt the options.lua for that preset and DCS won't start. It does throw some error about changing some settings I didn't even touch. If I don't save all is good. Now I know this, so it works for me, but would it would be nice to know what I'm doing wrong.

Cheers!

Hopefully these issues are fixed w/ 1.1 parser and localization adjustments.

• Like 2

I've used Updater 1 to build one click DCS launch with 2D/TrackIR or alternatively VR, including all the different settings. Working with 2.0 it's not clear how to achieve similar simplicity. Are ALL the pre-launch actions, including pre-launch apps (SteamVR, Varjo base,...), ST or MT, launch APIs, scripts etc, + the Graphics presets, collected in Presets (You have #1 to #4)? Or how do you achieve such a batch action?

I fail to find any description of the base principle of 2.0 (I've watched the Utube video which shows the features but it's not clear how these are related and connected). Any link that clears this?

HP Envy 34 TM16000/TWCS/TFRP. Simrig: I7-8700, 32GB, RTS2080Ti, 4K U32590C, TrackIR5, MG-T50C2 stick/base, T50CM2 throttle, CH Pro pedals

5 hours ago, Silver_ said:

What can I do to avoid the problem of my gamma going to 2400 instead of 2.4? It happens to me when I open with this launcher. Thank you.

there's no way to avoid it at the moment, hopefully the updated parser resolves the issue, but I'm still testing some functions before I release.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, SkateZilla said:

there's no way to avoid it at the moment, hopefully the updated parser resolves the issue, but I'm still testing some functions before I release.

Thanks my friend, no problem. Thanks for you great job , I'll wait impatiently for that correction to come out.👍

56 minutes ago, Go2Matt said:

Seems old and new updater wont open Bin-mt or Bin.
It shows them just wont open so i can t point to the exe.

Any ideas

please Explain?
The app automatically scans /Bin and /Bin-MT from the root folder.

2 hours ago, SkateZilla said:

please Explain?
The app automatically scans /Bin and /Bin-MT from the root folder.

HI Mate,

I have my install on D drive

I've pointed the Sim path and save game path to the folders. (it wont let me open the folders to point direct to the EXE. but if it does that automatically thats fine)
However my platform is not detected nor is sim version. So i can't select a build.

This is probably user error. But I can't work out what to do

Thanks

Edited by Go2Matt

6 hours ago, Go2Matt said:

HI Mate,

I have my install on D drive

I've pointed the Sim path and save game path to the folders. (it wont let me open the folders to point direct to the EXE. but if it does that automatically thats fine)
However my platform is not detected nor is sim version. So i can't select a build.

This is probably user error. But I can't work out what to do

Thanks

You just have to point the app to the root \DCS World\ folder, it automatically scans subfolders for the exe's etc.