Which HUD?

Reflected

The original one. Like one shown in the picture. No airspeed and altitude indicators, but 100% unique and cool. Sparrowhawk can't come even close in cool factor the original HUD had :D.

Edited by dekiplav
Typo

Afaik, the Sparrowhawk hud was only fitted to the F-14D (someone can correct me!).

We're getting an F-14A and an F-14B.

F-14 A & B had later in their service life installed sparrowhawk HUD. F-14D had HUD from the beginning of their service but I think it was not sparrowhawk model, aldo not 100% sure.

No Sparrowhawk HUD. I really hope that it could be added later on, the extra functionality would be nice, but just my opinion.

No Sparrowhawk planned currently.

My Specs

Asus Maximus Hero IX Z270

i7 7700k @ 4.7GHz

32GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3700MHz DDR4

EVGA RTX 2080Ti

Samsung 960 Evo 1TB M.2 NVME SSD

EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2

Acer XB270HU 144Hz @ 1440p (IPS)

Valve Index

OOOOhhh, I wish I had the Alpha of a Hornet!

Only 82 F-14B's were upgraded to the SparrowHawk HUD and FV-3000 Modular Mission Display System,

This Upgrade was done to Increase Readability and Mission Functions of the Remaining F-14B's in the Early 2000's, while the Navy was Waiting for the F-18 Super Hornets and F-35s

• Like 1

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Only 82 F-14B's were upgraded to the SparrowHawk HUD and FV-3000 Modular Mission Display System,

This Upgrade was done to Increase Readability and Mission Functions of the Remaining F-14B's in the Early 2000's, while the Navy was Waiting for the F-18 Super Hornets and F-35s

I made a mistake in my previous post. F-14A where not upgraded with SparrowHawk HUD. Thanks :thumbup:

This Upgrade was done to Increase Readability and Mission Functions of the Remaining F-14B's in the Early 2000's, while the Navy was dreading the arrival of the F-18 Super Hornets and F-35s

Addressed a small error. :smilewink:

-Nick

actually the super hornet has been a pretty good success.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

actually the super hornet has been a pretty good success.

Nor did I say anything to the contrary. :)

However, I thought was worth calling attention to the fact that the F-14 was not simply "buying time" for the Rhino during its last few years of service.

When the Rhino arrived in fleet, it was generally well-received for its benefits (it was a new airplane with truly new avionics, it was easy to fly, great low speed handling with the latest FBW), but there were also drawbacks that were immediately apparent.

A VF-14 pilot that transitioned in early 2002 (one of the first squadrons) commented that he felt fortunate that they could make their opening strikes in Afghanistan after 9-11 with the F-14A - because their brand new F/A-18Es simply couldn't fly far enough to reach the targets (these were the opening strikes - before the USAF refueling assets were available).

Tomcat pilots liked that the Rhino was easier/less stressful to fly, their daily existence is better and they worry less - which certainly means something. That said, many also commented that something was lost with the transition to the Rhino, there were certain tasks (such as FAC(A) ) that were harder to perform or it seemed that they lost capability.

The best option would have been a clean sheet design (not constrained by trying to make it look like a simple Hornet upgrade, which was how it was funded) with all of the excellent avionics/radar upgrades.

Just offering up the other side of the argument. ;)

-Nick

The original one. Like one shown in the picture. No airspeed and altitude indicators, but 100% unique and cool. Sparrowhawk can't come even close in cool factor the original HUD had :D.

So the F-14A/B original HUD does not show the airspeed and altitude?!

Damn... I'm very disappointed!...:noexpression:

Mission: "To intercept and destroy aircraft and airborne missiles in all weather conditions in order to establish and maintain air superiority in a designated area. To deliver air-to-ground ordnance on time in any weather condition. And to provide tactical reconaissance imagery" - F-14 Tomcat Roll Call

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

So the F-14A/B original HUD does not show the airspeed and altitude?!

Damn... I'm very disappointed!...:noexpression:

Or a velocity vector in any mode besides take-off/landing...

The Tomcat also doesn't have a battery, so if you manage to flame-out both engines (which is quite possible with the A-model) you will lose all electrical power after about ~20 seconds....unless you windmill the engines above 325 knots. Plus you need ground power for any start or systems check.

Its easy to forget that the F-14A entered service the same year as the MiG-21Bis. Comparing the F-14A to the F/A-18C will provide some startling differences. :pilotfly:

-Nick

The Tomcat also doesn't have a battery, so if you manage to flame-out both engines (which is quite possible with the A-model) you will lose all electrical power after about ~20 seconds....unless you windmill the engines above 325 knots. Plus you need ground power for any start or systems check.

Its easy to forget that the F-14A entered service the same year as the MiG-21Bis. Comparing the F-14A to the F/A-18C will provide some startling differences. :pilotfly:

-Nick

I understand!...

Well, the Tomcat still my favorite fighter jet!:)

Mission: "To intercept and destroy aircraft and airborne missiles in all weather conditions in order to establish and maintain air superiority in a designated area. To deliver air-to-ground ordnance on time in any weather condition. And to provide tactical reconaissance imagery" - F-14 Tomcat Roll Call

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

-Nick

And the F15 entered service only 2 years after the F14 but its got a great HUD :(

And the F15 entered service only 2 years after the F14 but its got a great HUD :(

Exactly!...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Afaik, the Sparrowhawk hud was only fitted to the F-14D (someone can correct me!).

F-14D had HUD from the beginning of their service but I think it was not sparrowhawk model, aldo not 100% sure.

F-14D was equipped with Kaiser Aerospace AN/AVG-12 HUD.

Bye

Phant

AMVI

So hold on a second...I'm confused.

There are 3 different HUD's that I have recognized in the Tomcat. Can you guys tell me what each one is, why they are different, and which one we are getting?

E9AGwhj.png

n4jYS4v.png

lB6uWWg.png

Frisco1522

Edited by Frisco1522

So hold on a second...I'm confused.

There are 3 different HUD's that I have recognized in the Tomcat. Can you guys tell me what each one is, why they are different, and which one we are getting?

E9AGwhj.png

n4jYS4v.png

lB6uWWg.png

Frisco1522

Hi Frisco,

Per Cobra, we are getting #1.

#2 is the Sparrowhawk HUD (fitted to F-14Bs starting around 2001).

#3 is the F-14D HUD.

-Nick

-Nick

A-6 have a battery,but Tomcat and Eagle doesn't have it.