Why right pedal when descending?

Bearfoot

I notice that when lowering the collective to descend at above 40-60 knts, I have to feed in right rudder (from neutral) to keep her straight.

What are the dynamics behind that?

Something to do with retreating blade effect?

Of course, when taking off, we increase the collective, we increase the torque and we need to increase left rudder to counter the inertial spin. I get that. But when reducing collective, it's not like the blade starts to spin the other way, so this cannot be the reason we need right rudder?

You could always think of it not so much as "adding right ruder", but instead think of it as "removing left rudder". More collective = more torque = more left pedal. Less collective = less torque = less left pedal.

Bear in mind that at "neutral" (that is, with the pedals centered in the cockpit), there is still positive pitch in the tail rotor blades. On the Mi-8, for example, full left pedal is just over 6 degrees of pitch while full right pedal is just over 23 degrees of pitch in the tail rotor blades. So centering the pedals in the cockpit is still about 8 degrees of positive pitch in the tail rotor blades.

The tail is shaped like a wing to reduce pilot work load and counter a bit of torque. It also allows the pilot to continue to fly (with a lower power setting mind you) somewhat in the event tail rotor effectiveness is lost, provided there is enough forward airspeed.

LG 34UC97 34" 3440x1440 monitor | 2x GTX-980 G1 Gaming

I7-5820k @ 3.3GHz | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @ 2133Mhz

Samsung 840 EVO 120GB & 1TB SSDs | Seagate 3TB HDD

TM Warthog | Saitek Pro Flight Combat Pedals

In Helicopter training, you learn that left is positive collective, right is negative collective. What that means is, even in a full down collective, you will have to add right pedal to keep the helicopter going straight. Any pull on the collective and you will have to add right. Any loss of power where you might be centered, you'll have to add right pedal.

A-10C - FC3 - CA - L-39 - UH1 - P-51 - Hawk - BS2 - F-86 - Gazelle - F-5E - AV8B - F/A-18C

i5-4590 - GTX 1060 - Oculus CV1 - TM:Warthog

[sIGPIC]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic9979_1.gif[/sIGPIC]

I think you meant to say "Any pull on the collective and you will have to add LEFT". Not right :)

ROTORCRAFT RULE

GB Aorus Ultra Z390| 8700K @ 4.9GHz | 32 GB DDR4 3000 | MSI GTX 1080ti | Corsair 1000HX | Silverstone FT02-WRI | Nvidia 3D Vision Surround | Windows 10 Professional X64

Volair Sim Cockpit, Rift S, Saitek X-55 HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, Microsoft FF2, OE-XAM Bell 206 Collective, C-Tek anti-torque pedals

UH-1, SA342, Mi-8, KA50, AV8B, P-51D, A-10C, L39, F86, Yak, NS-430, Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf

Thanks, all.

I am now working my way through the FAA helicopter handbook, and it confirms what you said AlphaOneSix:

"""

With the antitorque pedals in the neutral position, the tail rotor has a medium positive pitch angle. In medium positive pitch, the tail rotor thrust approximately equals the torque of the main rotor during cruise ight, so the helicopter maintains a constant heading in level flight.

"""

I guess I am surprised at the amount of right pedal I need when descending. It seems to be more then the left pedal I need in a hover!

• 3 months later...

You ask about the physics, i try to explain...

Blades rotating left

Collective up = The blades have drag working against the air, fuselage turns right. Imagine a toy huye, hold him at his blades and start engine, fuselage turns right.

Collective down = The blades have no drag, the autorotation is giving the fuselage a extra spin, fuselage is turning left. Imagine a toy huey floating on the water, spin the blades with your finger left, fuselage will follow left.

Edited by Jafferson

• 10 months later...
I notice that when lowering the collective to descend at above 40-60 knts, I have to feed in right rudder (from neutral) to keep her straight.

What are the dynamics behind that?

Something to do with retreating blade effect?

Of course, when taking off, we increase the collective, we increase the torque and we need to increase left rudder to counter the inertial spin. I get that. But when reducing collective, it's not like the blade starts to spin the other way, so this cannot be the reason we need right rudder?

You need right rudder because there is more RPM transferred to the tail rotor (and conversely stripped off the main rotor) hence the fuselage tends to slightly yaw into the opposite direction and therefore more right needed.

This is true for overloaded takeoffs because main rotor needs more RPM so you push the right pedals in to transfer RPM from tail rotor to main rotor except in this case you dont aim for directional control but you aim for a right handed takeoff (also tilting disc to the right and forward) thus getting into ETL as quickly as possible from the left hand (described in Masons book).

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

I think I got this lol.....retreating blade stall is an issue for conventional helicopters when you go too fast. Basically your retreating blades are making the same angle as your advancing blades, but since they have less relative wind they stall before the advancing blades at critical angle, causing asymmetrical lift. This is a part of why Russians have been putting out helicopters with counter-rotating twins, they always have advancing blades on both sides of the helicopter. It's also why the Chinook is one of the fastest helicopters in the inventory.

You need right rudder because there is more RPM transferred to the tail rotor (and conversely stripped off the main rotor) hence the fuselage tends to slightly yaw into the opposite direction ....

At the risk of nit picking, I would submit that RPM of the main and tail rotor are proportionately linked through the transmission gear ratio. Any droop will effect both rotors "equally".

The yaw produced by increased load demands on the main rotor is the result of the Newtonian response to the abrupt increase in the torque transmitted through the main rotor mass to the fuselage.

This is true for overloaded takeoffs because main rotor needs more RPM...

The main rotor needs more lift which is achieved by increasing blade pitch resulting in increased torque demand. Droop aside, this is accomplished without change in rotor RPM.

Edited by Chic

A Co, 229th AHB, 1st Cav Div

ASUS Prime Z370-A MB, Intel Core i7 8700K 5.0GHz OC'd, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Win 10

Samsung 65" 4K Curved Display (Oculus Rift occaisionally), Track IR5, VoiceAttack, Baur's BRD-N Cyclic base/Virpil T-50CM Grip, UH-1h Collective by Microhelis & OE-XAM Pedals. JetSeat & SimShaker for Aviators.

JUST CHOPPERS

The main rotor needs more lift which is achieved by increasing blade pitch resulting in increased torque demand. Droop aside, this is accomplished without change in rotor RPM.

Unless you need to tap into more inertia from the rotor and make the cranky light come on. :lol:

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

I was experiencing this last week lol...we ran an op and I was building a radar site on the highest peak near Vlad.....ran out of left pedal authority and was barely able to get my crates down safely. We also had a few downed pilots in the MT's there and I had to use a different technique to ensure I didn't wind up smashing myself all over the place.

• 2 weeks later...
At the risk of nit picking, I would submit that RPM of the main and tail rotor are proportionately linked through the transmission gear ratio. Any droop will effect both rotors "equally".

The yaw produced by increased load demands on the main rotor is the result of the Newtonian response to the abrupt increase in the torque transmitted through the main rotor mass to the fuselage. The main rotor needs more lift which is achieved by increasing blade pitch resulting in increased torque demand. Droop aside, this is accomplished without change in rotor RPM.

On the other hand the governor is there to (try to) keep the RPM at 100% all the time anyway, so as you said, it is the main rotor pitch (causing drag) change by the collective, and not any RPM change that causes the yaw. Cheers: Blade ;)

I think I got this lol.....retreating blade stall is an issue for conventional helicopters when you go too fast. Basically your retreating blades are making the same angle as your advancing blades, but since they have less relative wind they stall before the advancing blades at critical angle, causing asymmetrical lift. This is a part of why Russians have been putting out helicopters with counter-rotating twins, they always have advancing blades on both sides of the helicopter. It's also why the Chinook is one of the fastest helicopters in the inventory.

If that was true, that the blades have the same angle at the retreating and advancing side, the helicopter would produce 2-3 times the lift on the advancing side at around 100 kn if the blades spin at around 400 kn tip speed. Not good for level flight.

What happens is that the blades starts producing more lift than it would be at a hover, as soon as it passes the 6 o'clock position on the rotor disk. This happens due to the increased velocity of the relative wind. Now an increase in lift makes the blade want to go up, and since helicoper blades can flap, the blade flaps up. This upward motion causes the relative wind to come from higher up, thereby reducing the AoA, and therefore also lift. The opposite happens at the retreating side. The higher the speed, the more the blades will flap to compensate. If this were not true, helicopters would not be able to accellerate out of a hover. And they would not be able to hover over a point on the ground in windy conditions. What i just explained is disymmetry of lift.

The aerodynamic hazard called retreating blade stall occurs when the forward speed of the helicopter is so great that the retreating blade has to flap so much that the AoA to the realtive wind exceed its critical angle of attack, and stalls, eliminating lift and dramatically increasing drag for the affected section of the rotordisk.

Edited by Udat
  • Like 1

Intel i7-950 @stock, Asus P6X58D-E, 3x4GB Corsair Vengeance, Asus GTX 580, Corsair 120GB SSD, Corsair HX 750W PSU

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 3 weeks later...