New effects

Aginor

@Vitormouraa:

Yeah, kind of. Although I admit I am more a sucker for deep simulation than for pretty graphics, so for me the priorities are set a bit differently. That doesn't make your statement wrong though. :)

@SkateZilla:

Yes, the high G-load vapor is the most common one and probably the one that is most important for that reason while still doable (humidity + g-load being the parameters). The other vapor effects are more complicated, I don't expect transsonic vapor cones anytime soon.

....but actually... humidity over x% and speed between mach y and mach z could be doable...

EDIT: For props the blade tip vapor would be awesome....

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Vitormouraa:

Yeah, kind of. Although I admit I am more a sucker for deep simulation than for pretty graphics, so for me the priorities are set a bit differently.

Agreed. I started playing DCS 1.1 and as we know, it wasn't that beautiful.. I am in the sim because I do love the simulation, although visual matters for me. When they introduced the new vortex engine, that blow up my mind, it's not perfect (of course) I thought it was impossible to make something like that, but the animation is perfect, I'm pretty sure I can have the same feeling again in a near future. Not sure with which of those effects. :)

About the prop effect, that seems to be simple..

Edited by Vitormouraa

Looking forward to all the new effects. :)

Well, one effect that came with the next-to-last Openbeta update (counting today's small patch) was a completely new night lighting environment. Looks pretty damn spiffy, plus runs very well too! Good stuff ED :)

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

Can you take a picture of it? so curious..
I'll snap one later if I manage to fly tonight - lots of other stuff to do ATM. But will post if I can. S!

That's part of the updated effects that ED is working on. It'll come! :)

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Referring to it as simple, might be a bit of a stretch.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Well, I don't know what it is, but something weird happened last night.

When I first posted about this, the night environment in one of my missions was pretty bright and objects such as houses reflected light quite strongly. But then, I noticed my CP views were wonky and I deleted the view and server LUAs in the mission; they were ancient, so I thought I better get rid of them anyway. But when I ran the mission again, the night was VERY dark and objects had lost most of their reflectivity / luminance!

But some things seem to have changed regardless, and my guess is some v2.x elements were merged with v1.5b in the latest patch. Just a hunch, though, but I've got a feeling v2.5 isn't _that_ far away anymore :D I tried to snap some screenies too, but none of them came out right so they're not really worth posting here. Vitor, do you have the OB installed, so you could check if you see anything new on your end? Because it looks a bit like NTTR to me in places...

It is easy, but it will tremendously hit performance, I guess?

Yet another layer over the complete screen...

There is a lot possible, but performance is always a balance between visual effects, accurate system modeling, AI for some hundreds of units and hundreds of realistically correct calculated projectiles at any given time.

If I had to choose between eye candy and improved AI, I

won't hesitate to vote for improved AI.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

it was mentioned in jan newsletter. new info will come hopefully

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

but visabilty is blocked by rain so it should reduce PC graphical pressure

everything seems to "it's being worked on"

It still is another screen sized layer on top of the glass layer.

Also, just because the engine renders the objects, buildings, trees, as not visible, still requires the calculations for the "fog"/fade to gray effect, for all these objects.

So they need to find a way to balance nice rain effects with performance.

Given, that explosions, clouds and other effects are being overhauled according to Wags, we will see, what comes next.

Yet again, they also want to overhaul the AI, and from my perspective every ounce of CPU power spared for a better AI and more believable damage model, working way-finding routine or accurate line-of-sight calculations for AI (trees, buildings) is preferable to fancy raindrops on the canopy, or other eye candy...

Not that I would not love these effects, just a matter of preference.

• Like 2

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Got it. Seems the moonlight reflections are much stronger now and the mission suddendly turning dark didn't actually have anything to do with my deleting the old view LUAs, but, rather, a thick cloud obscuring the moon for a while.

D'oh :doh: Still, the night looks really spiffy now IMHO...

Screen_160703_155350.thumb.jpg.12560a0eca851bb415c38b64655f8086.jpg

Screen_160703_155517.thumb.jpg.b0bfedde01bf106ce046d10a5be84c8d.jpg

Is there any plan to open up another cpu core? We have 1 for sound and 1 for everything else, is that correct? Would another core be possible/worthwhile?

| Windows 10 | I7 4790K @ 4.4ghz | Asus PG348Q | Asus Strix 1080TI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2400 DDR3 | Asrock Fatal1ty Z97 | Samsung EVO 850 500GB (x2) | SanDisk 240GB Extreme Pro | Coolermaster Vanguard S 650Watt 80+ | Fractal Design R4 | VirPil T-50 | MFG Crosswind Graphite | KW-908 JetSeat Sim Edition | TrackIR 5 |

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I read it as humidity being a factor for wingtip trails. That's good. :)

I know this has occasionally been brought up in the past, but afaik humidity has never been part of the weather engine.

What exactly is the aferomentioned "humidty factor" (in DCS specifically, I know about its role IRL)?

EDIT:

Humidity is already modelled, the flight model does tap into it if i'm not mistaken.

Found this. First time I hear of humidity and its impact on the FM. When did this change?

Edited by upupandaway

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Deedle, deedle!

I suspect we'll see tremendous improvements in performance if another 2 cores become utilized.

Intel i7 12700k / Corsair H150i Elite Capellix / Asus TUF Z690 Wifi D4 / Corsair Dominator 32GB 3200Mhz / Corsair HW1000W / 1x Samsung SSD 970 Evo Plus 500Gb + 1 Corsair MP600 1TB / ASUS ROG Strix RTX 3080 OC V2 / Fractal Design Meshify 2 / HOTAS Warthog / TFRP Rudder / TrackIR 5 / Dell U2515h 25" Monitor 1440p

I guess the other way to look at it is, can we expect 5ghz processors any time soon? Seems processors are sitting around 4.5

| Windows 10 | I7 4790K @ 4.4ghz | Asus PG348Q | Asus Strix 1080TI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2400 DDR3 | Asrock Fatal1ty Z97 | Samsung EVO 850 500GB (x2) | SanDisk 240GB Extreme Pro | Coolermaster Vanguard S 650Watt 80+ | Fractal Design R4 | VirPil T-50 | MFG Crosswind Graphite | KW-908 JetSeat Sim Edition | TrackIR 5 |

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]