Afterburners Fail to Ignite

Azazel

Attaching a screen shot that shows the situation. In it the viewer can see that my throttles are set above the Afterburner thresh hold hash mark and that the engines are at 100% RPMs but that both nozzle pos gauges are not in their after burner positions and in the pit there was no afterburner roar noise. The problem was simply solved in-flight by pulling the throttle back below the afterburner hash mark and pushing it forward. Not sure if this is a bug or intended behavior?

lFDORUq.jpg

My Rig: EVGA GTX 1070 x 2 | EVGA x58 SLI classified | i7 X 990 CPU | 24 GB RAM | Windows 10 Home 64 bit| Track IR Pro | CH Fighter Stick | CH Throttle | CH Pro Pedals |

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Any multiplayer mission overrides your local options, so I would suggest a bird strike is the most likely cause.

Can't help with the first bug though. Not encountered it here I am afraid, but I use the Warthog throttle detents as afterburner gates. That system works perfectly.

Can't help with the first bug though. Not encountered it here I am afraid, but I use the Warthog throttle detents as afterburner gates. That system works perfectly.

Yeah, this screen shot was a one off. I have only encountered the issue once or twice so far. It is generally not an issue, but when I caught it the second time I felt compelled to share it.

My Rig: EVGA GTX 1070 x 2 | EVGA x58 SLI classified | i7 X 990 CPU | 24 GB RAM | Windows 10 Home 64 bit| Track IR Pro | CH Fighter Stick | CH Throttle | CH Pro Pedals |

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have noticed that the throttles are very sensitive in the F-5. Usually, I just lock my throttles together, and they synch without an issue, but in the F-5, I have to keep them separated, to keep them matching in the cockpit.

The difference can be very distinct.

Not an axis problem. Throttle are registered correctly as the OP showed. Fuel flow is also in the afterburner range, so it is being injected but fails to ignite, and nozzle does not open. It looks more like a feature to me, these early jet engines didn't have FADECs. Maybe it happens when we move the throttles too fast, will check it...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 month later...

Yeah, the burners will be very hesitant to light in certain flight regimes. The engine doesn't know or care they failed to ignite so it carries right on dumping fuel out the tail pipes...

DCS modules are built up to a spec, not down to a schedule.

In order to utilize a system to your advantage, you must know how it works.

• 7 years later...

This bug is still present in the latest OB build. I managed to re-trigger the behavior several times within 20 minutes on mouse and keyboard. I think I could only do it while NOT decreasing RPM all the way to idle and ramping up to AB subsequently by holding PageUp. Every single time when AB did not light up the fuel consumption corresponded to normal full AB operation.

The track file is a bit lengthy unfortunatelly.

bug F-5E ABdecember 01.trk

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, navyjoker2000 said:

Same issue.  Though it is not every time it doesn't activate.  Very intermittent.  I can't pin down when and what doesn't allow AB to activate.

Joystick and throttle or pure keyboard?

34 minutes ago, navyjoker2000 said:

Controller until my throttle gets shipped. Throttle is bound to A and B buttons

Ha, same here. So we need someone with axis controller to confirm it is not specific to button-driven setup. Or we can just assume it's still the same bug that occurs intermittently for button and axis setups alike.

30 minutes ago, =475FG= Dawger said:

I can confirm occasional failure to light AB on one or both engines with Warthog throttle but fuel flow always indicates lower than AB rates when it happens.  Back to idle and forward always fixes it. 

I wonder if that fuel flow rate is a bug or feature? I wonder if it happens irl if there is no other malfunction with aircraft. 🤔 Is setting back to idle and forward by purpose? I doubt it because unless other malfunction with irl aircraft is present I doubt real pilot would have to do that in dog fight, etc. makes me believe it is a bug in DCS with AB

36 minutes ago, =475FG= Dawger said:

I can confirm occasional failure to light AB on one or both engines with Warthog throttle but fuel flow always indicates lower than AB rates when it happens.  Back to idle and forward always fixes it. 

It's always with peak fuel flow (corresponding to normal AB operation) on my end.

40 minutes ago, navyjoker2000 said:

I wonder if that fuel flow rate is a bug or feature? I wonder if it happens irl if there is no other malfunction with aircraft. 🤔 Is setting back to idle and forward by purpose? I doubt it because unless other malfunction with irl aircraft is present I doubt real pilot would have to do that in dog fight, etc. makes me believe it is a bug in DCS with AB

Fuel flow is independent of throttle position and should indicate actual flow. 

Idle and back up is a DCS thing but I can tell you that its what a real pilot would do if it actually happened as it is a mechanical device and you never know what will work. 

It would suck in a fight. 

EDsignaturefleet.jpg